The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-04-2004, 09:48 AM   #1
nynnd1
Haunting Spirit

nynnd1 has just left Hobbiton.
1420! help me understand

can any of the learned peoples of the barrowdowns help me clear up if tolkiens middle earth is supposed to link in with our earth. is it perhaps before the time of even dinosaurs far back in the past, or is it something to come far in the future. or is it same time different planet, or somewhere underscoverd on oue own earth. where oe when is it. HELP ME!!!!
nynnd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 10:10 AM   #2
Hot, crispy nice hobbit
Wight

Hot, crispy nice hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
I am not learned, but I guess I can help a little.

Prof T writes the LOTR and the Silmarillion as though he is a chronicler of the long gone past events. I think he assumed the position of a scribe who somehow found a scribt of ancient text written in Ancient Elven Language, and translated it into plain English.

But I don't suppose Prof T is an archeologist by any chance, so the LOTR and the Silmarillion is pure fiction. Hope that would help you sleep easier at night!
Hot, crispy nice hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 02:10 PM   #3
NightKnight
Lost among the Stars

NightKnight has just left Hobbiton.
I think it's supposed to have happened a few thousand years ago. If you read Book of Lost Tales you'll find a connection between Tol Eressea and England, I think it was.
Old 03-04-2004, 02:52 PM   #4
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Yes, there was a connection, but I thought JRRT abandoned those ideas. There was definitely a connection when he first started writing but I thought it "evolved" into something that wasn't connected, because the Silmarillion and UT both come after the Book of Lost Tales and there wasn't any mention of a connection in those.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 09:27 PM   #5
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
As I understand it, Tolkien was disappointed with his nation's complete lack of fantastic culture and history, myth, legend, etc., and decided to create his own for his country, even if it was fiction. It wound up corresponding to his works with Middle-Earth, and then I think Middle-Earth and eventually the events surrounding The War of the Ring took over. I'm not exactly sure how the Book of Lost Tales 1 & 2 can correspond, because they chronicle the story of Arda's creation from beginning pretty much to "current" times, at least the ancient times where our history takes over. Still, many of the legends survived and made their way into The Silmarillion, which was the final history product for Middle-Earth, which, I believe, Tolkien finally decided was actually a different world. I'm not exceedingly educated on the matter myself, but that is my take on it.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 09:51 AM   #6
bilbo_baggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: In my front hallway, grabbing my staff, about to head out my door
bilbo_baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to bilbo_baggins
Pipe

I do believe that Tolkien was merely writing an elaborate fictional fantasy world, full of legends that he could write. He did not neccessarily create LOTR, Sil., UF, or Lost Tales to say what happened, persay; it was really just because he wanted to write a story, as he says in his Foreword of the Second Edition LOTR.
Old 03-05-2004, 02:29 PM   #7
Sharkû
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkû has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien gave a radio interview for BBC 4 in 1971. The following is a question he was asked and his answer:

"'G: It seemed to me that Middle-earth was in a sense as you say this world we live in but at a different era. '

Tolkien: 'No ... at a different stage of imagination, yes.' "
Sharkû is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 07:16 AM   #8
rutslegolas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

rutslegolas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to rutslegolas Send a message via Yahoo to rutslegolas
ya i agree.
but i have another question.
the middle-earth was it fictional or is it geographically similar to any country?
Old 03-06-2004, 11:49 AM   #9
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Quote:
Originally posted by rutslegolas
ya i agree.
but i have another question.
the middle-earth was it fictional or is it geographically similar to any country?
Yes, Arda's lands have modern parallels. Study a good map and they'll stick right out. I believe ME is the area of Europe, Harad is Africa, the Sun Lands are America, Rhun is Asia, etc, etc, and so forth.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 08:37 AM   #10
nynnd1
Haunting Spirit

nynnd1 has just left Hobbiton.
just as i thought kransha.

There are big similarities between the two
nynnd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 09:20 AM   #11
bilbo_baggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: In my front hallway, grabbing my staff, about to head out my door
bilbo_baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to bilbo_baggins
So, Kransha, if ME is Europe and Harad is Africa, is the Anduin the Meditteranean Sea?

And would the North Sea - above Germany - , would that be were Beleriand sunk?
Old 03-13-2004, 05:43 AM   #12
Noxomanus
Wight

Noxomanus has just left Hobbiton.
^^No. The Shire was meant to be England and Beleriand was to the north-west of the Grey Havens,wich were to the northwest of the Shire themself. It's possible the Grey Havens are meant to lie in Ireland. In that case, Beleriand lay in the North Atlantic, roughly between North America,Ireland,Greenland and Iceland. Wich makes me ponder...could Iceland be meant as a surviving part of Beleriand?
Old 03-13-2004, 08:11 AM   #13
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Originally, it wasn't the Shire that was meant to be England but Tol Eressëa. There is a lot about this in the Book of Lost Tales 1&2.

bilbo_baggins: Not all of the parts in Middle-earth correspond to parts of our world. There are just similarities. Not too long ago, this map was posted on a thread. Go here to see it. This should clear up some of your questions.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 05:01 PM   #14
haltred
Pile O'Bones

haltred has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

I do not believe that JRRT had spefic places in mind for each place in Middle Earth. Though one might think Shire = England and so forth. BUT I think Tolkien was reaching back to the legends of most of Europe . Those of Roland , of the Viking sagas , of the Wagnerian ring cycle, those of Arthur and Alfred.
And the lands could be anywhere in Europe but I don't think he planned it that way. I think it is what our imaginaton makes it.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:47 PM   #15
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Boots Somewhere in England ...

Quote:
The Shire was meant to be England
To be more specific ...

Quote:
'The Shire' is based on rural England and not any other country in the world - least perhaps of any in Europe on Holland, which is topographically wholly dissimilar.

(From The Letters of JRR Tolkien - Letter 190)
And getting even more specific:

Quote:
It is in fact more or less a Warwickshire village of about the period of the Diamond Jubilee ...

(From Letter 178)
The village in question being Sarehole, where Tolkien spent his early years after returning with his mother from South Africa in 1895, and the said Diamond Jubilee being that of Queen Victoria in 1897.
Old 04-26-2004, 03:37 PM   #16
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dûm

Olorin_TLA has just left Hobbiton.
Yeah, but it wasn't meant to be physcially in the same place as England. ;) Along the same latitude though, to account for the same climate.

The Third Age of Middle-earth is meant to end at some (imho, an almost-touchable-yet-just-unreachable) point before the dawn of recorded history, so says Tolkien. He gave an exmaple of around 6,000 years ago, as back then that was when "recorded history" "began" in depth...however, that was just an example, bascially, LotR is set before, but not hugely before, our earliest history, so whenever a new archaelogical find is found, just shift the date of LotR back a bit. ;)

EDIT: Yikes! I accidnetally said that Men arose 150,000 years ago. This was a MISTAKE. It's roughly 57,000 according to HoMe X (which puts each "Year" in the SIlmarillion before the rising of the Sun as being 144 sun-years long...and also places the birth of Man all the way back to slightly before the Great March)...somehow I'd got "c.50,000" mixed up with 150,000...hmm.

Also, Tolkien later wrote that perhaps he could have made the geography of LotR fit better with Europe's, had he had that specifically in mind at the time of writing. (Note how the land around the icy Cape of Forochel has a similar shape to Scandanavia). Frnakl,y though, letting the sotry and geography design themselves allowed for greater freedom, and a better LotR...for a start, there would have been no Mordor as we know it! :eek:

ELENDIL! - Join "Forth Tolkiengas!"

Last edited by Olorin_TLA; 05-06-2004 at 06:17 AM.
Olorin_TLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 02:13 PM   #17
Isowen
Haunting Spirit

Isowen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril I think I can answer your question

I have heard many rumors, and questions about this. The most popular one seems to be that Middle-Earth is in fact based on England. I am not what you call learned but I do have the answer.
Middle- Earth is not an imaginary place. It is Europe. The name Middle-Earth comes from the Middle-English term Middel- erthe which is the name Europeans called their land hundreds of years ago. As Tolkien says in the Prologue to LOTR, those features on his maps do not match those of Modern Europe, because it has changed over time but there's no doubt about a few points of origin.
To answer your other question, Tolkien estimated that Frodo's quest to destroy the ring took place about 6000 years ago, by our calender.
Just a quick fact to finish off; The 'black land' of Mordor is located where you now find the Black Sea.
But I may be wrong
Old 08-08-2004, 05:20 PM   #18
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dûm

Olorin_TLA has just left Hobbiton.
Just a quick thing: Middle-earth wasn't a country or Europe, but the Norse term for the entire mortal world, sandwiched, in the middle, between Asgard above and the lands of fire and ice below.

ELENDIL! - Join "Forth Tolkiengas!"
Olorin_TLA is offline   Reply With Quote