The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2003, 05:36 PM   #1
Iaurhirwen
Wight

Iaurhirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Iaurhirwen
Tolkien Mythological references in Tolkien's works

I'm writing a paper on the different references to the mythologies and legends from Norse, Celtic, or any others.

I have a bunch of ideas but I was hoping if anybody had any ideas they could give me to make sure I didn't miss anything or to give me more ideas to create the required 10 pages.

Hannon le
"Will somebody find my pants?" - "What do you do with a drunkin sailor?" - "You have a giant mole!!!!" - "Tom!! Get out of the Girls's dressing room!" "But she asked me to help find her pants!!" - - - opening night chaos
Iaurhirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 12:13 PM   #2
Aragorns Twisted Angel

Sting

Well I think Norse mythology had a story in it of a ring of power... I'd have to look that up in my Philosophy of LOTR book... You can get that book in Barnes and Noble. REally interesting
Old 01-01-2004, 12:18 PM   #3
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I would really recommend David Colbert's Magical Worlds of The Lord of the Rings and Michael N. Stanton's Hobbits, Elves, and Wizards. You will find droves of information in there.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fėanor, and there he slew Finwė King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwė alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 12:19 PM   #4
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dūm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Silmaril

And I know for a fact that Tolkien's basic description of Gandalf the Grey matches that of the description of the god Odin in Norse mythology!
Old 01-01-2004, 02:31 PM   #5
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Silmaril

One thing I noticed when reading some Celtic myths was that Tir na nOg (sp? and what's with that capital O in the middle?) lies across the sea to the west, like Valinor. I haven't noticed anything else yet, but I just got into reading Celtic myths, so I don't know much about that.
Old 01-01-2004, 11:02 PM   #6
Aragorns Twisted Angel

Sting

I'll have to check out that book myself... I love this stuff!
Old 01-02-2004, 06:27 AM   #7
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Quote:
David Colbert's Magical Worlds of The Lord of the Rings
Indeed. I have read the book, and I have learned lots from it.

All I know is that Tolkien derived much from this Norse epic...I can't remember it...my mind is in agony...if I do, I'll post it right away.

That's a tough requirement, Iaurhirwen. Hope you can finish it. Enjoy being dead. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 11:10 AM   #8
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

I believe that you're talking about the Finnish epic Kalevala. Tolkien got the names of the Dwarves in The Hobbit from the Kalevala, among other things.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fėanor, and there he slew Finwė King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwė alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Old 01-02-2004, 11:32 AM   #9
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

You're mixing things up, Finwė!
The Dwarves' names are certainly from the "Dwergatal" in the Edda (old Norse/Icelandic) Even Gandalf's name is there as "Gandalfr" (meaning "Staff-Elf).

From the Finnish Kalevala Tolkien got the idea of the story of Tśrin Turambar. (the story of Kullervo in the Kalavala)
And Quenia is influenced by the Finnish language.

Another source is "Beowulf" (on which he lectured as a professor of Anglosaxon) The description of Edoras and of the Rohirrim in general are influenced by this.

Here a quote to this topic from one of Tolkien's letters:
Quote:
These tales are "new", they are not directly derived from other myths and legends, but they must inevitably contain a large measure of ancient wide-spread motives or elements. After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of "truth", and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear."
<font size=1 color=339966>[ 12:56 PM January 02, 2004: Message edited by: Guinevere ]
Old 01-02-2004, 09:59 PM   #10
Iaurhirwen
Wight

Tolkien

Thanks for the help everybody.

Guinevere, thanks for the Beowulf reference. I was searching for something with and Old English background and completely forgot about Beowulf. I read it a few years ago and now that I think about it, I do recall similarities between the two. In fact, I now remember mentioning in class how much Beowulf reminded me of LOTR!

Right now I'm in the process of reviewing the Norse epics in the Eldar Edda and Nibelungeleid (sp?), but they are really long reading.

More ideas would be greatly appreciated. Once again, thanks for everybodies help and I'll let you know how I do.
"Will somebody find my pants?" - "What do you do with a drunkin sailor?" - "You have a giant mole!!!!" - "Tom!! Get out of the Girls's dressing room!" "But she asked me to help find her pants!!" - - - opening night chaos
Old 01-02-2004, 10:58 PM   #11
Sharkū
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkū has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The Tśrinssaga is partly inspired by the tale of Kullerwoinen/Kullervo in the Kalevala, esp. their respective deaths. Tolkien also lists Oedipus and Sigurd the Volsung as influences for this story (cf. Letter 131).
The "éarendel"-line in the Old English _Crist_ by Cynewulf was in turn a major spark of inspiration for the whole Legendarium (cf. Letter 297).
Sharkū is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 03:24 PM   #12
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

I stand corrected, Guinevere. *sheepish grin*

Tolkien used many Norse and Old English legends to make his cultures seem more "authentic" for a legendarium designed for England. I think he took a "bit" of every culture that somehow influenced England, and somehow put it into Middle-earth.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:29 AM   #13
Carorėiel
Haunting Spirit

Carorėiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Check out Lin Carter's Tolkien: A Look Behind the Lord of the Rings. It should point you in all sorts of interesting and useful directions.
Old 01-06-2004, 02:55 PM   #14
Linaeve
Animated Skeleton

Linaeve has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Linaeve
Sting

Hmm . . . I seem to remember my friend reading a book on Norse mythology and being startled that the names of the dwarves in The Hobbit all came from Norse gods. At least, I'm relatively certain that it was from Norse gods . . . I hope that helps somewhat!
Old 01-07-2004, 04:41 AM   #15
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Silmaril

Not from Norse Gods, Linaeve! Tolkien found the Dwarves' names in the poem "Völuspa" (The Sybil's Vision) one section of which is called the "Dvergatal" (the Tally of the Dwarves). It is just a list of names (more than 60!).
Old 01-09-2004, 08:12 AM   #16
Athaniel
Pile O'Bones

Athaniel has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Hi Iaurhirwen

How are you getting on with your essay? I hope I have some useful information on celtic mythology:

Tolkien's elves exhibit some characteristics of the Tuatha De Danann. Divine and human beings are appearing in the myths, who are described to have colonized Ireland one after the other. Last came the Milesians, the immediate anscestors of the Irish. The Tuatha De Danann, who had been there much earlier, before long retreated into hills of earth (Sid)to become a magical people. Medieval conceptions of fairies are largely based on the Tuatha. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-10-2004, 09:19 PM   #17
Sharkū
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkū has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have just recently rediscovered (I posted the link at least once before IIRC) that the Sacred Texts archive has devoted a whole section to Tolkien's influences from texts in their database: http://www.sacred-texts.com/ring/index.htm
Sharkū is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 12:44 PM   #18
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Guinevere is quite right about Dvergatal. If this thesis is still being written, here's a link to a very good, if rather obscure, Old Norse poem, that you might find useful. http://meadhall.homestead.com/Angantyr.html
Don't be put off by Red Sonja illustration... the motif of the cursed sword is rather familiar, vis a vis Gurthang/Anglachel. Not to mention the name of the dwarf who forged it, and the woman disguising herself as a warrior - plus it all takes place in a barrow of the dead!

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 1:45 PM January 11, 2004: Message edited by: Lalaith ]
Old 01-25-2004, 11:44 PM   #19
Iaurhirwen
Wight

Tolkien

Thanks for all your help everybody!

When I first received the assignment, I was very hesitant about completing the needed number of pages. Once I started though, I could have gone on and on for about 100 pages.

My instructor, who is also a Lord of the Rings Fan (though not as obsessed as I am), gave the paper an "A".

Once again, thanks everybody for all of your ideas and topic ideas. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-26-2004, 10:07 AM   #20
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Sting

Let's see....
Well, the obvious mythological comparison is to the nordic myth, eventually made into a Wagner opera, namely "The Rings of the Neibellungen" (I KNOW the spelling is wrong). That's a story about rings of power. Read the nordic tales of "Sigurd and Fafnir" or "The Eddas". Fafnir, of those myths, was one of the first dragons in literature to be given personality, which has led many to believe that he was the basis for Smaug or Glaurung. Also, read Beowulf to famialrize yourself with language and lore references.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 03:57 PM   #21
Failivrin
Wight

Failivrin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Turin and Oedipus of Greek mythology who was sent away from his family and married his mother (mother, sister, same thing!) and later killed himself.
Old 01-30-2004, 10:56 AM   #22
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Silmaril

Quote:
Well, the obvious mythological comparison is to the nordic myth, eventually made into a Wagner opera, namely "The Rings of the Nibelungen"
But Tolkien didn't like that comparison at all!
Quote:
"both Rings are round, and there the resemblance ends."
he said.

Thank you (belatedly) for the great link, Sharku! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
I've never seen anything of the Kalevala before.