The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2005, 02:28 AM   #1
Makar

Makar has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye Gongs or Gongers

Both in TME (Tolkien Monster Encyclopedia?) there is an entrance for Gongers, which are said to be like goblins. This same definition is given in a Tolkien quiz. Does anyone have a book reference?
Makar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 02:46 AM   #2
Makar

Thumbs up Specification

Allthetests.com:
Q: What were the evil creatures related to Orcs?
A: Gongs

TME:
Gonger: Evil creatures, related to Orcs.
Old 02-27-2005, 06:55 AM   #3
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
This is an interesting question, Makar! The word sounded so strange and unfamiliar to me at first glance that I thought it was another of those D&D type game inventions. However, looking it up in my Index to HoME, I found that it refers to The Book of Lost Tales (HoME I and II). In an early version of the Legendarium, Tolkien used the word. In BoLT 1, CRRT's notes at the end of the chapter 'Gilfanon's Tale':
Quote:
This might be thought to be a name for the Kaukareldar or 'false-fairies', but in the Gnomish word-list Gong is defined as 'one of a tribe of the Orcs, a goblin'.
In BoLT 2, there are a few usages of the name and another note at the end of the chapter 'The History of Eriol or Aelfwine':
Quote:
Gongs: these are evil beings obscurely related to Orcs.
Since the word is not used in any later versions of the stories, it appears to have been rejected by JRRT; however, the 'Gongs' are a genuine invention of his!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 06:59 PM   #4
Faramir
Animated Skeleton

Faramir has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Faramir
since were on the topic of orc and that sort, is a cave troll anything different from the 3 trolls in the hobbit?
Faramir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 02:34 PM   #5
Makar

The Eye Trolls,

As far as I know there are Cave Trolls, Hill Trolls, Stone Trolls (Bill, Burt & Tom), Mountain Trolls, Snow Trolls, and the Olog-hai. I'm not sure where all this information comes from, though.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:20 AM   #6
Eruanna
Memento Mori

Eruanna has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Treebeard said that Trolls were made by Morgoth in mockery of the Ents, as he had made the Orcs in mockery of Elves, however, I don't think that Tolkien meant that Ents and Trolls were related.

In letter 153 Tolkien wrote:
Quote:
I am not sure about Trolls. I think they are mere 'counterfeits', and hence ... they return to mere stone images when not in the dark. But there are other sorts of Trolls, beside these rather ridiculous, if brutal, Stone-trolls, for which other origins are suggested.
So I think that he intended Stone Trolls such as Bill, Burt and Tom, to be entirely different from the other Trolls.