The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-03-2004, 07:22 PM   #1
Himhenwen
Pile O'Bones

Himhenwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Himhenwen
Silmaril Who is your favorit Lord of the Rings character and why?

I was sitting here and thinking when it came to me...
Who is my favorit Lord of the Rings character and why?
So I thought I'd ask all of my fellow Barrowdowners.

For Example:
My favorit character is Aragon because he is strong, noble, and can sing like me!
Old 11-03-2004, 07:35 PM   #2
King of the North
Haunting Spirit

King of the North has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

my favorite LotR character is Legolas. Considering that I am a guy, I made up my mind about this long BEFORE any of the movies were released. My decision was in no way affected by Orlando Bloom's closeness in looks to Barbie. In the books there is this thick mystery that surrounds Legolas. He is silent except for a few extremely well worded phrases per chapter. Also he is incredibly calm. Rarely are his origins and family mentioned. This gives the reader incentive to learn more about him, that certainly was my case. Also his combat skills make him very likeable. His style of fighting is not as wreckless and strong as perhaps Gimli's or Aragorn's but instead very precise, smooth, and deadly. In conclusion it is easy to say that I favor the elves. Just look at my name, if this were a question of which Silmarillion character was your favorite my choice would be obvious. Still in LotR, Legolas son of Thranduil is my favorite character.
King of the North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 07:35 PM   #3
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=11271
Welcome to the Downs, Himhenwen! You might also want to check out the FAQ in the upper left hand corner.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:45 PM   #4
Himhenwen
Pile O'Bones

Himhenwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Himhenwen
White Tree

Thank you Lindolirian I will do that very soon!
Old 11-03-2004, 10:09 PM   #5
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
I'm moving this thread as we place favourites threads in Novices and Newcomers. They are essentially open to anyone and everyone, and do not develop into deep book-based discussions generally. Feel free to continue posting on this thread!
Old 11-04-2004, 05:31 AM   #6
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420!

Boromir (like you didn't see that one coming), because he's strong, good fighter, of noble background. Maybe the most important reason because the Fellowship wouldn't have survived without him .
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 09:21 AM   #7
ninlaith
Wight

ninlaith has just left Hobbiton.
Hey Himhenwen...sorry for my absence for the past few weeks...I had left certain deeds unfinshed and the West was calling. It's really hard to choose a favorite because my favorites change every week. This week it is Sam. Every week I associate a character from LotR that resembles the week I've been having. Sam fit the bill. We need more people like Sam in this world. More people who will be there for each other instead of bringing each other down over trivial matters. I have been blessed with very special bonds like these with people that unfortunately i have not seen for awhile. And I am not sorry to say that one of those friends is Himhenwen. The friend I have here is in need of friends that I have at home. I only hope I could possibly use the knowledge I have from having friends such as Himhenwen and be the same kind of friend to my friend in need here. Friends like Sam are priceless. Never let them go.
Old 11-04-2004, 02:39 PM   #8
Iris Alantiel
Haunting Spirit

Iris Alantiel has just left Hobbiton.
Amen, ninlaith. Beautifully said.

I've said it before and will say it again: Sam is my favourite character because of his hopefulness, his loyalty, and his courage. I aspire to be more like Sam Gamgee.
Iris Alantiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 05:43 PM   #9
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Morgul Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Morgul Queen
White Tree

Celeborn.

He's just so...down to (Middle-)earth. A lot of people don't like him, I can't really understand that but oh-well.

I mean, he was the Prince of Doriath, he married Artanis, Finarfin's Daughter and was probably openly shunned by his people for it because of the Kinslayings. He ruled Eregion and remained behind after Galadriel ran away to look ater the place, He ruled Lorien, and you can say what you like about that but it doesn't change the fact that the Galadhrim report to him and not to Galadriel, and then there were several other settlements, Dol Amroth etc. So he's obviously a good leader.

He survived at least two Kinslayings (this depends on whether you go by the published Silmarillion or by Tolkien's later idea that he was of the Teleri, not the Sindar), The War of Wrath, The Last Alliance and led the battle against the Orcs with Thranduil during the Ring War. If he hadn't done so another army of orcs from Mordor and Isengard would have blind-sided the Pelennor and wiped out everyone there. He destroyed Dol Guldor, began another settlement, East Lorien, and remained after Galadriel left. *shakes head* The guy was no lap dog, people!

*reads* Woah...OTT, fangirl defense...shutting up now.
[/rant]
Morgul Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 08:50 PM   #10
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420!

Hey if Celeborn gets a wife like Galadriel he's got to be pretty good .
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 09:13 PM   #11
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

White Tree

*grins and holds back the urge to glomp*

Exactly! Although, in my case it's the other way around.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:58 PM   #12
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Grima... but you don't need to hear another one of my Worm-praising rants.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 10:44 PM   #13
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

White Tree

I quite like Grima. He's interesting...not as interesting as Denethor and not as Fangirlable, but still kinda neat.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:25 PM   #14
Ireth Sirfalas

My favorite character is Haldir because he has boundless courage, and he is loyal to all of his friends.
Old 11-09-2004, 03:06 AM   #15
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

White Tree

Celebrimbor is also awesome, and severely overlooked. Sure, he was misled by Annatar, but so was Galadriel. If she knew who he was do you really think she'd allow him into her realm.

Actually, Galadriel was a little bit slow on the uptake when it came to things happening in the here and now, hm?
Old 11-09-2004, 12:59 PM   #16
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgul Queen
Actually, Galadriel was a little bit slow on the uptake when it came to things happening in the here and now, hm?
*snerk*

My favourite character is Pippin (and this was decided before the movies). When I was first reading the books, I was continually struck by many of the things Pippin said and did. He's loyal to his friends, brave, and more intelligent than people give him credit for. Also, toward the beginning of Fellowship, I continually thought this about him: "Whoa, that's exactly what I would have done/said in that situation!" 'Twas very lofty.

Another favourite is Shelob. Just because I like spiders. Spider! ^_^

Abedithon le,

~ Saphy ~
Old 11-11-2004, 12:56 AM   #17
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

White Tree

My pre-movies favourite was...the Witch-King.

I know.

But, the funny thing is, most of my current favourites are charachters that a lot of people dislike, for some reason or other, and I've done my best to come up with reasons to like them and fallen completely head-over-heels in love while doing so.

Strange, huh?
Old 11-16-2004, 03:55 AM   #18
rutslegolas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

rutslegolas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to rutslegolas Send a message via Yahoo to rutslegolas
Sting

Well as I have said before in one of the similar threads Legolas rules because he is my favourite and as King of the North said I like his style of fighting ,he dose'nt seem to fight at all he just seems to dance around killing people .
Old 11-16-2004, 08:58 PM   #19
Elfchick7
Wight

Elfchick7 has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril My Favorite Character

My favortie character is definitely Arwen!!!! Because she makes a huge sacrifice and she is a quiet heroine. She doesn't go into battle, instead she has to stay behind in Rivendell and wait. Not even knowing if the man she loves will win. She knows that if she stays then eventually Aragorn will die and soon all that she holds dear will be gone from Middle-Earth and yet she gives her immortality anyway. That really takes a strong lady. So yeah, I like Arwen Undomiel!!!!!!
Old 11-17-2004, 08:43 AM   #20
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tevildo has just left Hobbiton.
My favorite Lord of the Rings character is Sauron because CT says he is my distant descendent.
Now Tevildo was a mighty cat--the mightiest of all--and possessed of an evil spirit,...and he was in Melko's constant following; and that cat had all cats subject to him, and he and his subjects were the chasers and getters of meat for Melko's table.
Tevildo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 11:07 AM   #21
Ancalagon-the-black

White Tree

Faramir. Of course I saw the movies before reading the books and I thought this guy was just a ******. But after reading them I see he was a nice guy, simple man caught in some nasty war business. I don't see why PJ found it necessary to butcher his role?

Last edited by Estelyn Telcontar; 11-19-2004 at 11:40 AM. Reason: for offensive language
Old 11-19-2004, 02:29 PM   #22
Elven-Maiden
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elven-Maiden has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

My favourite character is Bilbo. I fell in love with him in the Hobbit and he just kinda stuck as my favourite. Although Gollum's inner struggle mades him quite an intriguing character too.

Mobilis in Mobile
Elven-Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 04:32 PM   #23
Bungo Baggins
Animated Skeleton

Bungo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Merry is my favorite. To me he represents the best of the hobits: reluctant bravery, love of food, drink and the shire,loyalty to his friends and bravery. He travelled with the company to Parth Galen, where he and Pippin were captured by the orcs. He didn’t surrender and managed to escape from Sauron’s servants.
Bungo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 06:49 AM   #24
Amrod the Hunter
Haunting Spirit

Amrod the Hunter has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Amrod the Hunter
Pipe Pippin

He has best jokes and he is a bit confused in everything,but he finds his way and becomes a true warrior.Maybe he is not brave as Merry,but he is better to me.My second favorite character is Aragorn-he is a true hero,mysterius and brave.But in the movie,he is a bit boring with his dreams about Arwen.Legolas is a bit like him-I liked him better in the book.But my favorite character is Pippin-he is the reason i play hobbit in D&D and other RPGs.
Amrod the Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 02:05 PM   #25
Lolidir
Wight

Lolidir has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lolidir
I think the question should be why do you like every character, instead of who is your favorite. maybe someone will start a thread like that, or if there is one you guys could lead me to it.

Honestly i havent ever given it a lot of thought. i have always like Legolas bc he can snipe people and all that stuff. but that isnt a very good reason. you should admire someone based on their qualities and actions. now that i have given a little thought ( if i would give it more i would prolly come up with a different answer) i must say that Sam and Faramir are my favorite. Sam because he is the perfect example of what a true friend is. he is loyal, brave, and just a great friend. when Frodo was in trouble he was there to save him. in the movie i really see what Faramir was thinking and everything. if it was all true about his dad liking Boromir better, and that wasnt just someting added to the movies, i can see how Faramir would be tempted to take the ring back and win the approval of his father, but he realized the danger of everything and let Frodo go even though that would mean that Denethor would still not like him, if he didnt become angier. they both must deal with moral and emotional issues more than just the fighting.

im sorry this is so long but i got started and couldnt stop.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:30 AM   #26
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I have three favorites; Galadriel, Gandalf and Boromir. They're just such lovely personalities. And Boromir is the most human (if you understand) character in the whole story.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 02:26 PM   #27
Mumak o' Harad
Pile O'Bones

Mumak o' Harad has just left Hobbiton.
Well, I do not even have to say it: the Mûmakils!

I love them because they are huge, mighty and dreadful!

Does anybody have any further information on them? Please let me know!
Mumak o' Harad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 07:58 PM   #28
Faramir
Animated Skeleton

Faramir has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Faramir
Sting

Faramir,he is my favorite character because whatever he does is always for the best,unless of course commanded by his "father", he let the ring go, he wasnt cammanded to retrieve it,it was boromirs mission. When Denethor sent him on his mission he did it for his city and almost cost him his life.
Faramir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 05:07 PM   #29
malkatoj
Wight

malkatoj has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to malkatoj
Sting Samwise

My favourite character is Sam. I once told my friend this, and she yelled at me and called him 'fat and stupid.' But here's the reality...Sam is a loving, loyal friend. He is willing to go through anything to ensure Frodo's safety, even when Frodo sends him away. He continues, throughout the journey, to be unphased by the powers of the Ring, which most other members of the Fellowship are unable to do. Sam knows what is worth fighting for, and he fights for it. He knows that there will eventually be light, even after all this darkness, and this keeps him going while others feel hopeless. Sam has a keen ability to know whether someone is a good person or not, as evidenced by his feelings on Gollum.

Haha...I wrote a 2-page essay on this topic once. It was awesome. (As awesome as this smiley face? I doubt it.)
malkatoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 06:35 PM   #30
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
I really like Faramir and its not just because I have a crush on him (Blushes) I liked him already before I got a crush on him. Not only is he brave, he is also interested in history and learning. This is evident because he always asked Gandalf many questions. Also in the book he is one of the few characters who is not tempted by the ring.I also really like Theoden and I get extremely sad when he dies on the battlefield. (Every time I read that passage my eyes water.)
Old 03-09-2005, 08:04 PM   #31
Olivier

My favorite character is Aragorn. I always loved adventurers with no fear and courage. To read about this character in the book was so nice. To see this mysterious adventurers be king of gondor after great moments threw the triology makes me jumping on my bed!

Faramir is a nice character too, and i understand why P.J. change is mind situation in the movie. This was just for the conflict between Denethor and him, this conflict is interesting for the attraction of Faramir for the ring.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:40 PM   #32
Parmawen
Haunting Spirit

Parmawen has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the North
My decision was in no way affected by Orlando Bloom's closeness in looks to Barbie.
BARBIE?!? *gasps in horror* Maybe it's just me, but he's ten times better looking than Barbie. She's plastic...plus Legolas's hair is definetely bigger than hers!

But that's besides the point, my favorite character would either be Haldir or Faramir.I nearly died with happiness when Haldir showed up to fight at Helm's Deep, since in the book when the Elves did not show up for Legolas, I started crying. So I'm proud of Haldir mainly. Faramir on the other hand, I really like since he and Eowyn are together. I felt so bad for her after Aragorn didn't work out, so when Faramir was there to pick up the pieces it made me feel more relieved. Plus the way he's always in his brother's shadow...I know how that feels.
Parmawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 02:32 PM   #33
Este of Lorien
Pile O'Bones

Este of Lorien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Este of Lorien
Silmaril

Glorfindel, because he's misterious, wise , and, of course, "fearless and full of joy" (I liked that description) . I also like Galadriel (most in the book than in the movie).
Este of Lorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 04:04 PM   #34
Lûthien Nénharma
Pile O'Bones

Lûthien Nénharma has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lûthien Nénharma Send a message via MSN to Lûthien Nénharma
White Tree none

hmmm, Im tied btw Elessar and Samwise,
I think Samwise is one of my favorites because of his role, he almost has to make sure Frodo does not fail as the ring bearer.
Then I like Elessar b/c of his will.
Old 05-07-2005, 03:56 PM   #35
Elentari_Elbereth
Pile O'Bones

Elentari_Elbereth has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elentari_Elbereth Send a message via MSN to Elentari_Elbereth Send a message via Yahoo to Elentari_Elbereth
Wow.... What a Question!

I can't exactly say I have ONE favorite, I admire close to everyone for their own reasons.

I have written several character essays (for english class actually. and received very good grades!), one of them on Faramir, another Frodo, and Aragorn... and some on races and people in general.

because I love every character so much, I'll mention a few that really stick out as amazing:

Aragorn- He not only has such intelligence and physical strength, he has very strong courage, emotional strength, and outstanding leadership qualities.

Samwise- Dear Samwise.. Sam is a the truest friend in all of the world, If more friends could be like him, so loyal and brave, what a world this would be!

Mithrandir- He has such a good heart, and wisdom beyond what he even knows (..Olorin was wisest of the Maia), and as mentioned on this site, the only one of the Wizards to stay true to his task. I admire his determination for good will.

Frodo- He volunteered a deadly task when none else would, and worked tirelessly and earnestly in the greatest emotional struggle anyone could endure, not even to say he would even go into the heart of Mordor Alone. That is courage and strength from the deepness of his very soul.

...Who shall see the last evening?
Elentari_Elbereth is offline   Reply With Quote