The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-29-2004, 08:54 PM   #1
Lenwe
Animated Skeleton

Lenwe has just left Hobbiton.
Sting My friend said the Hunter wasnt melkor read on

"So it came to pass,some years ere the coming of orome,that if any of the elves strayed abroad alone or few together they would often vanish and never return;the Quendi said that the Hunter had caught them and they were*"and indeed most of the ancient songs of elves which echoes are remembered still in the west,tell of the shadowshape that walked in the hills above cuivienen"

my friend said i think he cant be melkor because he was a shadow shape,and in that time melkkor would or turn fair to try to trick elves into coming over to his side or to turn into something very evil like a black knight or when u watch.Melkor never did things by himself,he never went to battle the only battle he ever fought was with fingolfin.

The theory i have is thiers more then one hunter made4-5,i saw they were cast out by illuvatar at the beginning of time when the valar were created.As u know there were more then just the few valar that went to middle earththey lost their powers and forsoke shadowy images of ghost or sumthing?Melkor bended them to his will and they did his bidding bringing in elves
Lenwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 09:09 PM   #2
Koko

Sting

Ok im the friend, theres a couple things wrong with what he wrote ill just re-write it. (the quote is right) ok here i go. The reason i say the hunter wasn't melkor was because the elves said that they saw "shadowy shapes" around the top of cuivein (don't know how to spell). But in this time Melkor didn't travel in shadowy shapes he travled in fair or terrible shapes like a black knight or what you see at the first of the LotR movies. My theory about the hunter is there is more then one. More like 4-5. We all know there was more Ainur then was spoken about they lived where ever Illuvatar lived. What if there was more then one evil Ainur? What if more turned evil when the Vala left for middle earth? What if Illuvatar kicked them out into middle earth as shadows of their former selves, "Shadowy Shapes" as the elves said. Why should melkor go and get the elves himself when he had more important matters? Why not get evil spirits, spirits of malice to do it? He never does anything himself, the only thing he ever did was fight fingolfin and knock down the pillars of light. And thats why i don't think the hunter was Melkor.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:28 PM   #3
Osse
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: The Encircling Sea, deciding which ship to ruin next...could be yours.
Osse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Welcome to the downs Koko ! Some good points there mate, I can't find anything to disregard it, however, can you please state where that quote is from? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Osse
Old 01-29-2004, 11:55 PM   #4
Lenwe
Animated Skeleton

Lenwe has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

its is from the silm he told m e
Lenwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 01:28 AM   #5
Sharkū
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkū has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Melkor could take whatever form he pleased at that time. If he wanted to instill fear, he might have used a shadow form to make the Quendi afraid of the coming of Orome. Or he might have sent one of his numerous servants. In any case, the title 'Hunter' seems unnecessary; there is nothing there to suggest the shadow who followed the Quendi was anyone special just for or because of that task; or that it couldn't have been Melkor, or more likely Sauron himself.
Sharkū is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 09:44 AM   #6
Koko

Sting

i wrote that at 12 am last nigth so i had to log right off but im back now. and the quote is from the similron pg 46.