The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-26-2004, 06:11 PM   #1
Demente

Tolkien Beorn

Who was beorns wife does any body know? i know Beorn had a son grimbeorn but what happened to there mother?
also The Old English word for beorn meant 'bear', but evolved over the centuries to the point where it came to mean 'warrior'. So, Beorn's ability to transform from a bear to a man echoes the linguistic development of his name. i thought this was quite interesting.
Old 01-26-2004, 06:25 PM   #2
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Hmmm... that's interesting. This is the first time that I've heard of the linguistic development of Beorn. Then again, Tolkien is notorious for developing his characters similar to the way that the meaning of their names developed. It's one of his linguistic jokes that he likes to put in.

As for Beorn's wife, she's another one of those obscure females who we know exist, but are never mentioned by name. I don't believe that Tolkien ever named her. Since she didn't affect the story whatsoever, there was no point in devoting space to her name.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 06:42 PM   #3
Demente

Sting

Yes her name isnt really of any significance but i was just wandered if she was just a normal woman, and if so would be possible that grimbeorn could have not been able to become a bear. I saw beorn being able to transform something that he could do naturally rather than sorcery even though beorn has been said to b just a man by tolkien,'Though a skin-changer and no doubt a bit of a magician, Beorn was a Man'.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:52 PM   #4
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

She was a normal woman just as Beorn was a normal man. He wasn't born with this ability - it was learned, and nothing would prevent his son from learning the same skill.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:56 PM   #5
Osse
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: The Encircling Sea, deciding which ship to ruin next...could be yours.
Osse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If i remember correctly, it is stated that all the men of Beorn's line for generations had the abilty to shape-change... whether this is inherited or a learned trait I am unsure...
Grimbeorn certainly had the abilty.

Osse