The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-23-2008, 07:50 AM   #1121
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
And I always knew that Legate was up to no good!
Darn. *disappears*

But seriously, well done, phantom. It could have been worse...
*disappears once again*
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 12:49 PM   #1122
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
I thought it was a myth that Americans went crazy for British accents

Nope, that's only Madonna.

Texas drawl? ****h, the chinook jargon is the way to go! Then again, something tells me we'll have a wawa over this alki.

~ Ka
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 02:59 PM   #1123
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
TGEW, I could teach you to speak in a Finnish accent for free.
Really? Cool! I'd like that, I'd like to be able to speak Finnish too!
*does happy dance*
Old 08-24-2008, 05:04 PM   #1124
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up Keep on trucking, if you're into that sort of thing...

Stick your hats on the railway, burn your house down and eat some cabbages! It's Newspaper time again! Oh dear!

Extra special thanks and beans to the phantom for the second story and mini headlines! There are still more of them to come...

As the plot thickens, so does the mayonnaise Alien left under your bed...

Episode 009
Episode 008
Episode 007
Episode 006
Episode 005
Episode 004
Episode 003
Episode 002
Episode 001

On Thursday we'll see an extra special cameo from The Saucepan Man as the continuing story of the Revolting Revelations reaches new heights!

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 08-25-2008 at 01:52 AM.
Hookbill the Goomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 06:14 PM   #1125
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Boots Random Titles put up wall paper, it's good I promise!

Hm...in the last pannel of of the P & A, it seems as if Morsul is muttering dark curses, causing the wall paper to peal. It's too bad, that wall paper is pretty.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:42 PM   #1126
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Sounds likely that Nilp was also in on the conspiracy some years back that saw an official Rhinoceros Party aspire to elect a Member not only to the Quebec provincial legature but to the federal Parleyment of Canada. As I recall, however, things didn't get as nasty as they did this time. The only thing that died was the dignity of the Canadain electoral process.

May I suggest one of your intrepid writers do some of your stellar historical research on that for future Downer news stories?--all in the interests of increasing Rhino appreciation on the Downs, of course.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:46 PM   #1127
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I love the headline with Nilp leading the Rhinos to the children. It's very Downerish: very misleading!

I love that little mentioning of Hobbits bombing Bree! I almost died laughing!
Old 08-24-2008, 07:58 PM   #1128
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
LETTER TO THE EDITOR:

Dear Sires:

I was saddened to read your article, "Huan Chases Own Tail", and the news of the famous pup's death in a tragic pique of self-cannibalization (which gives new meaning to the phrase 'dog chow'). I must say its a dog-eat-dog world, but such celebrity deaths are becoming so commonplace, particularly the way stars are hounded by the paparazzi. They say every dog has its day, but once a pack of reporters are unleashed and catch the scent of a story, they sink their canines in and doggedly follow a celebrity around. Then their life isn't worth a dam. I don't mean to bitch, but these curs from the tabloids have to be curbed -- perhaps paper-trained in the correct ethics of journalism.

I am not trying to ruffle any fur, and I am not putting your fine publication in the doghouse with the mongrel tabloids; but when a pure-bred champion such as Huan is forced to heel like he aint nothin' but a hound dawg (cryin' all the time), and then sadly wolfs himself down because no one would throw him a bone, we have every right to howl. We must show them that our bark is not worse than our bite.

Mr. Muttley Kennel
Airedale, Newfoundland
Old 08-25-2008, 10:04 AM   #1129
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
Nilp--is that you sa CWTS mo?

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:06 AM   #1130
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe To clarify:

Those children stole my sandwich. My beautiful, wonderful sandwich. They had it coming.

However, I had nothing to do with anything Canadian. Must be Adam's doing, Bb.

Quote:
Nilp--is that you sa CWTS mo? (Lindale)
Yes, it is.
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:39 AM   #1131
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Evil, evil, evil you are, Nilp, they're kids!! You can always get another sandwich, every other 7-11 store or Mini Stop has a nice array of sandwiches.

Legal Madness.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:43 PM   #1132
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Wow. That P and A reminds me of my old backpack, my mom said it walked out of my room all by itself...

What does this have to do with the newspaper? Absolutely nothing!
Old 08-28-2008, 12:55 PM   #1133
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Sorry it's slightly late. It was my father's birthday today and no one told me. Needless to say, a lot of hasty preasent buying and "Yeah we definately had this all prepared weeks ago" went on.
Anyway, you may be interested to see today's Phantom and Alien...

Episodes 1-10
Old 08-28-2008, 05:05 PM   #1134
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The plot thickens!
Old 08-29-2008, 12:46 AM   #1135
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Hookbill, you're evil, you made me miss SPM... But I can't deny that P&A amuse me.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 05:42 AM   #1136
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
The plot thickens!
Yep. Lal is quite correct. There is a massive conspiracy. A massive and, ultimately, ridiculously pointless, conspiracy involving... Cheese?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien
Hookbill, you're evil, you made me miss SPM...
Yeah, it was originally Gil-galad, but then I remembered that he was vaporised by Morsul The Dark in the last episode of Volume 1.

On Monday there begins a two-parter involving The Phantom which contains something of vital importance.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:54 AM   #1137
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
A ... conspiracy involving... Cheese?
Oooh, maybe Thursday Next is behind it! Do any other Jasper Fforde ffans know if 'Jurisfiction' also handles comics and online writing?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 04:12 PM   #1138
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Yep. Lal is quite correct. There is a massive conspiracy. A massive and, ultimately, ridiculously pointless, conspiracy involving... Cheese?
What kind of cheese?
Old 08-29-2008, 06:45 PM   #1139
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
LETTER TO THE EDITOR

Dear Editor:

I find I must complain preemptively regarding the upcoming edition of your paper, as I am certain it will contain objectionable material of one sort or another (it always does); ergo, I feel it necessary to sit down while I have the time to list my grievances, because what should happen if, over the weekend, I am unable to protest in a timely manner? After all, I do have my laser hair removal session and the podiatrist's appointment for removal of unsightly toe-nail fungus. Therefore, please take the conjectural complaints listed heretofore in lieu of actual complaints based on as-of-yet unprinted material:

1. I don't like it.
2. That's ridiculous!
3. What, the Barrow Wight again?
4. Who writes this garbage?
5. The ravings of a lunatic!
6. What exactly are your journalistic credentials, I should like to know?
7. Whatever happened to the truth, the whole truth and nothing but...?
8. I don't like the Alien's shade of green. Use more chartreuse.
9. I've never seen such a piece of sycophantic, boot-licking lackeyism!
10. What contemptible nonsense!

Thank you in advance for your cooperation,
Ms. Sibyll Claire Voyant
Salem, Massachusetts
Old 08-29-2008, 11:40 PM   #1140
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dűm

Laurinquë has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
What kind of cheese?
Yes indeed! What kind? I vote for feta.

Also in regards to cheese, is cheese in fact the only thing that can subdue Alien? TGEW and I think it is a possibility.

And, is it true we may be seeing more of my favourite character, John Fillis? Why is it spelled with an "f" anyway?...oh never mind that...
Laurinquë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 12:38 AM   #1141
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurinquë View Post
And, is it true we may be seeing more of my favourite character, John Fillis? Why is it spelled with an "f" anyway?...oh never mind that...
There may be more John Fillis. He'll be a much more prominent character in Volume 3. As to why it's spelled with an 'f'... It's because it's the name of a real person. When we were making the animation, I said I wanted the monster to have a 'normal sounding name'. My brother picked up a picture from a newspaper of a fat guy with a moustache called "John Fillis". I thought it was amusing, so I used it. I may scan the image in and post it up at some point...

Cheese's effect on Alien is the same as almost all foods; he'll eat it.

EDIT:
Here he is, folks...

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 08-30-2008 at 12:33 PM.
Hookbill the Goomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 12:50 PM   #1142
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Boots Random Titles like cheese...a lot

Quote:
There is a massive conspiracy. A massive and, ultimately, ridiculously pointless, conspiracy involving... Cheese?
Cheese? I like cheese.

Quote:
What kind? I vote for feta
Hm...I say hard cheddar or...gouda. I wonder if Alien would eat the wax too...
Old 08-31-2008, 05:02 PM   #1143
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up Moving on...

Life offers us many terrible things. This newspaper is one of them.

Thanks once again to the phantom for his mini-heads and the second story. It does make this process much easier.

The Revolting Revelations continue... Sort of.

Episode 011
Episodes 1-10
Old 08-31-2008, 10:11 PM   #1144
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Boots Random Titles high on chocolate...

Wow...I think this if my favorite P & A...ever. Or it could be that I ate waaaaaaay too much chocolate today.

That's right folks: low-fat=EVIL!!
Old 09-01-2008, 05:22 AM   #1145
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morai View Post
Wow...I think this if my favorite P & A...ever. Or it could be that I ate waaaaaaay too much chocolate today.

Yes, this is one of my favorites as well. I'm not sure what Morsul needs the mayonnaise for. But do keep the Mayo in your mind, especially towards the end of this volume. It may be important.
Incidentally, for a good 90% of this volume The Phantom and Alien don't meet. You have to wait until Episode 36 for that!
Old 09-01-2008, 06:19 AM   #1146
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
I love the concept of evil mayonnaise!

...and of course it was an accident.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:27 AM   #1147
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:

Yeah, it was originally Gil-galad, but then I remembered that he was vaporised by Morsul The Dark in the last episode of Volume 1.

On Monday there begins a two-parter involving The Phantom which contains something of vital importance.
Everything involves cheese.

Quote:
What kind of cheese?
Bree of course! But Lauri doesn't like brie? Oh well...

Anyway, is that real mayonnaise? Or the fake kind?
Old 09-01-2008, 11:44 AM   #1148
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
I really should put some limits to the acces Hookbill has to my facebook account.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:56 AM   #1149
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
I really should put some limits to the acces Hookbill has to my facebook account.
I probably wouldn't have used that picture if Volo hadn't pointed it out to me.

There are only so many pictures on the Barrow Downs' Photo Page I can use. If not for Facebook I'd have to make increasingly random pictures of things not relating to Downers... Which might please some people...

I do, of course, still accept any pictures any one wants to send for the paper. As long as they're funny.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:07 PM   #1150
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Rune, are you not a student? It's compulsory to steal traffic cones!
Old 09-01-2008, 01:29 PM   #1151
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
Rune, are you not a student? It's compulsory to steal traffic cones!
He seems to be quite pleased with himself too.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:41 PM   #1152
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
A bit long. . .

Maybe I should explain what is really going on in that photo. . .

It is taken on the Island of Livř, I am up there on a socialist "camp" every summer. This year I was atending a course about survailance and amongst others the former chief of PET - Politiets Efteretningstjeneste (the Danish Security Inteligence Service) was lecturing, some of us then formed the LET - Livř Efteretningstjeneste.

Another course then made a "happening" where they bloked the road (there is only one paved road on the island) in a protest to get all motorised vehicles off the island, it has to be said there only is two tractors on the island.

Anyways what you here see is right after the LET succesfully infiltrated and disolved the protest, I am clearing the road in order for the tractor to use the road.

I would never steal trafic cones. . .now shoplifting that's another story.

Old 09-01-2008, 04:01 PM   #1153
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Those silly socialists, it's absolutely wonderful that they find nothing better to do with their brains than block a road and scream their heads off about evil motorists!
Old 09-01-2008, 05:48 PM   #1154
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

More explanation - Hopefully for the last time

When we go to this island it is for a vacation and though we may discuss serious matters in during our courses in the morning, our main priority is to have fun and enjoy each others company.

Therefor when this happening was made (just one out of many) it was of course done in jest, thereby I am not saying that there was nothing seriouse about it.

A good example is the course I did. Very seriouse stuff and we even made a draft for new laws about survailance which should be presented in the parlament any day now, but at the same time we found time to joke and found the LET.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:27 AM   #1155
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Few clues? Pffft... There I was, minding my own business sketching a lovely portrait scene of young socialists in their natural habitat, and you still can't see the obvious evidence?

That's the last time I ever donate work to the local police force. Next time you'll simply have to trade your firstborn for it like everyone one else.

Quote:
She was very insistent that we emphasize 'the' in her name.
Well, I have to make a name for m'self of course...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morai
Low-fat anything is obviously evil. It tricks people into a false sense of safety, and keeps them coming back for more.
... If you've ever tried to explain to someone that two diet coca colas vs. a single coke really do not make the difference you know this already.

~ Ka
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:54 AM   #1156
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
When we go to this island it is for a vacation and though we may discuss serious matters in during our courses in the morning, our main priority is to have fun and enjoy each others company.

Therefor when this happening was made (just one out of many) it was of course done in jest, thereby I am not saying that there was nothing seriouse about it.
So it's a bit like the stunts that Tricksters pulled in the 60s? It makes a politcial point in a fun way?
Old 09-02-2008, 10:00 AM   #1157
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE Ka View Post
Low-fat anything is obviously evil. It tricks people into a false sense of safety, and keeps them coming back for more.
... If you've ever tried to explain to someone that two diet coca colas vs. a single coke really do not make the difference you know this already.

~ Ka
Luckily for me, I never have to think if I'm to take diet-anything or the original-version-anything. Muwahahaha.

Legal Madness.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:15 AM   #1158
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Time for the next installment of The Phantom and Alien. I had a lot of fun with this one. Look at Morsul's legs!

Episode 012
Episode 011
Episodes 1-10
Old 09-04-2008, 05:15 AM   #1159
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Hey, but I like Massa Mop - sorry, I meant Mr mop - he's cute Is he going to appear in the future ones, too?
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:28 AM   #1160
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Hey, but I like Massa Mop - sorry, I meant Mr mop - he's cute Is he going to appear in the future ones, too?
Urm... I did think about it, but the story line seems to have rendered that impossible. Maybe in volume 3...
I do often wonder where Morsul the Dark (the Downer) has gone to and whether he finds his appearance in P&A insulting.

Someone asked me where I get my ideas from. I steal them from homeless children with skin conditions. Just like Jane Austen.