User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2003, 10:21 AM   #161
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I killed Olo off -- the little weasel. I hope I didn't screw anybody up.

Old 10-23-2003, 11:34 AM   #162
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

The Men are now on foot and advancing toward the Resistors - fell free to maim and humiliate the oafs in any fashion you wish! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-23-2003, 02:09 PM   #163
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

The plan is to surround the Men and get them down without killing them. Then the fun part comes -- a little humiliation.

As agreed, Pio's character will slip away, but not before Assirim takes a little of that himself!

Cami
Old 10-24-2003, 12:28 PM   #164
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

I would like to see this game wrapped up by Monday or Tuesday of next week. Counting today, that gives us 5 days.

Niluial, Durelin, Lyra, and Cami – please get posts on which finish the battle between the Men/Shiriff’s and the Resistors. Use Tim and Falco as you wish, as they have defaulted from the game by not posting within a 2 week time period.

I will then have the Men hightail it away from the area – going to join Sharku’s group directly, I think, in hopes of wreaking more havoc on the horrid Hobbits. This should take one wrap-up post from me.

Arvedui – feel free to put a post on about what Brass is going to do, since Olo is now dead.

Cami you should then probably due a wrap up post that gets the Resistors on their way back to Tookland and has them meet up with Pippin.

Lyra – can you then due a final post for the game – where Josh and Hob (You may use Tim and Falco, too – see my note above).

Durelin – let Lyra know if your character should be mentioned as joining in the Battle of Bywater. Or do a post where Dury says he wants to go – even better!

[ October 24, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 10-24-2003, 12:49 PM   #165
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Pio,

Please check your pms.

Cami

Done! ~*~ Pio [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ October 24, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 10-25-2003, 07:55 AM   #166
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Dragon Elf,

Please check your pms and repost in the same space as soon as you get the chance.

It's good to see you back before the end of the game.

Plan of action:

This morning, I will be putting several save spaces on the game, and will then do a post where the hobbits tie up the last of the bandits and pull a mean trick.

I need people to put posts on the discussion thread where that last bandit is injured and/or made captive, and dragged up the hill to where the other one is. You can make it nice and humiliating.

Dragon Elf -- since you already have a space saved on the thread, you can do this on your own without my help.

I will then take those posts on the discussion thread and paste them up in the "save" spots. Let's get this baby home!

Cami
Old 10-26-2003, 10:56 AM   #167
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

We need to have this game finished by 10/29. I will be closing it midnight, Pacific Time, of that day.
  • Dragon Elf – please fill in your post about Falco fighting against the Men. Put it on the Discussion Thread if you are unsure of how to put it back into your SAVED place on Page 3 of the Game.
  • Durelin – please do a final post of Dury at the battle (put this on the Discussion Thread and I will post it for you). OR – do a post for Dury after the battle like Niluial did and post it on the Discussion Thread.

Also – do you want Dury to be mentioned in Lyra’s post about going off to the Battle of Bywater, or will he stay home?
  • Lyra - please do a final, wrap-up post that gets all the Hobbits back to Great Smials by Midnight of Nov 2nd – as per your outline. You can mention in this that Josh and Hob are going to go off to the Battle of Bywater.

You can post directly to the Game with this
  • Cami/Child will then do a little epilog for the game.
  • Everyone get your posts on the game please by 10/28 preferably or 10/29 midday at the latest.

I will leave the Discussion Thread open for a few days after I close the Game.

~*~ Piosenniel, Shire Moderator

[ October 26, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 10-26-2003, 12:28 PM   #168
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

I am sorry...I haven't posted in far too long!

Dury will fight, and he will have given his letter to Niluial, figuring that harm won't come to a young woman, so she will be able to deliver it.

Does that sound alright?
Old 10-26-2003, 12:33 PM   #169
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Durelin

Sounds good! Looking forward to seeing it.

~*~ Pio
Old 10-27-2003, 07:30 PM   #170
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe

Here it is! Finally! I hope it's alright...I was having trouble finishing up Dury...felt like I lacked enough creativity... Oh well! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

It felt as if several overweight cats were pouncing around in his stomach as Dury took a step forward. His legs wished to give way beneath him, but he locked his knees and tossed his head, shaking it clear of countless unwanted thoughts. So many eyes were on him, more than had been in quite a while. And one set belonged to a very certain hobbit: Peregrin Took. Dury had heard the stories of this hobbit, and knew he had been gone a year from the Shire, suddenly returning alive and well with Meriadoc Brandybuck, his cousin. And Dury had seen what Pippin wore, what he still wore: metal and fine clothes, with a sword at his hip. A sword! And here he was, rallying all these crazy relatives of his and Dury's to fight. It was just more proof of how the Tooks and Brandybucks had so few brains! All these crackpot ideas...the whole resistance had arose from them, and now...now it went so far as...

"I-I..." he stammered hoarsely. He paused a moment to swallow. His throat burned. "I'll need a...a sword or any...weapon. But I don't think I'd be read to manage a bow and arrows..." He glanced around, feeling strange standing there, and feeling strangely confident. When had he felt confident before? When had agreeing with his forgettable relatives felt right? That hobbit, in his shiny metal and his wonderful clothes of Men, smiled at Dury. Peregrin's face had always looked so cheery, but now it took a smile to make it look so. Dury was not the only one who had changed on his adventure. And surely the Took had experienced so much more. Dury wished he could sigh. Why did everything have to change?

"Dury Greenhand." The smile had faded, and Pippin had returned to solemnity. "You are a hobbit of honor, of valor, of a good, strong heart. You will save your Shire, resisting in a way never done before. For your bravery, all will be rewarded."

For a moment Peregrin looked at Dury with that severe, but calm, face. Then all starkness was broken by another smile, and he continued, "Now that that little speech is over, we can see about that sword." He called to someone and that hobbit went running of. Then he turned back to Dury. "I truly meant all that, but..." he paused searching Dury's eyes. "...I believe you know that." Dury was taken aback, and his eyes widened a bit in surprise. That Took spoke of more than just his 'speech.' But what else did Dury know? His thoughts were interrupted by the return of Pippin's errant. Pippin took a sword from the hobbit, examining it. It looked much like the one belted around Pippin's waist, with a white tree embroidered onto the sheath and a black handle and pommel. Dury was handed the sword ceremoniously, and he pulled it from its sheath. Down the center of the blade ran a twisting vine, which sprouted into a star formed by eight separated points.

"It is a blade of Gondor. I believe you will be worthy of it."

Will be... This hobbit's words had been scrambling his brain, sending his thoughts into a maze of confusion, much too often. There were so many things that could be meant by what was said, and so many things that were brought to mind by them. Things that did not necessarily have anything to do with the original thought. Will be worthy of it? So, he was not now? Then why was he being given this blade?

"For now, you are borrowing. After you fight, you will be keeping a gift. That is why you have been given it. Soon you will have need of it."

Dury looked at Pippin, realizing he must have spoken his last thought aloud. "Yes, I'm afraid I will." He was not truly certain to which 'will' he spoke. Perhaps it was meant for both.

~:~:~:~:~:~

Sitting in his favorite, cushioned chair by the fire, bouncing a happy little Mirdy who screeched with laughter, Dury puffed happily on his pipe, laughing with his two-year-old daughter. Waves of sweet smells floated from the kitchen. A loud clatter brought a pause in the little hobbit's laughter, but it quickly started up again after "Dora!" was heard.

Dury glanced around the room at surroundings he could see without his eyes. All was where it had been for years, where it should be. All, except for what now decorated the mantle. That had been there for just three days, as it had been three days since he had earned his sword of Gondor. He could no longer hear the laughter coming from what bounced upon his knee, as it blended into a peaceful silence. He was all too aware of the comfort of his cushioned chair. He felt so at peace, even as he looked upon what he had earned. It surprised him, but surprises such as that were always pleasant. Soon the laughter and the silence were separated.

Mirda, her face flushed red from the heat of the oven, bustled into the parlor. Perhaps she had a purpose to bustle, but Dury knew his wife had come to move quickly most anytime she moved. Dury was not disappointed. Mirda came over to he and Mirdy, smiling down at them, basking in the bright happiness of others. His Mirda was a beautiful person. Dury stopped bouncing Mirdy, and managed to quiet her. Removing the pipe from his mouth, he smiled back at her. For a moment they seemed to share thoughts, then Dury spoke, "There is something I'd like to read to you, Mirda." Niluial had kept Dury's note, doubting with all her heart that she would have to give it to Mirda. Her doubts had been true, and Dury's hopes had been fulfilled.

"My Dearest..."

Old 10-27-2003, 11:35 PM   #171
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Pio,

I decided to go ahead and do both these posts tonight. You can paste them in at the end....

The first one is short and sweet. The last one.....I couldn't resist.

Child's post

Seeing Assiram turn tail and disappear over the horizon, Helios jerked the reins to one side and whirled around, intending to run straight through the circle of hobbits, head down the hill, and make a run for it on his own. But his horse had different ideas. Faced with a phalanx of small but threatening figures who were each brandishing a stave or short blade in an agitated fashion, the animal lashed out kicking and squealing, rearing up on his hind legs and refusing to go forward.

It was Hob who slipped in underneath and sliding his dagger under the girth managed to cut half way through it before leaping over to the side. A minute more of bucking, and the saddle gave way, causing Helios to lose his seat and pitching him forward over the horse's head. The Man landed with a thud in the middle of a circle of angry hobbits.

Within a very short time, Helios had been trussed up like a turkey and dumped beside the other bandit, with one rib cracked and a lump on his head. He was barely half conscious.

[ October 28, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 10-28-2003, 01:00 AM   #172
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Cami's epilogue

Cami and her mother Honeysuckle stayed with the other relatives of the slain hobbits in the common room of the Dragon, which had only just been reopened. The room was as dank and grey as their own spirits; the old boards on the windows had hastily been removed and a few shingles hammered up over the holes in the roof to try and make the place presentable.

Still, it was better than remaining home alone. In accord with custom, they wore stiff black dresses and bands of mourning, as they lined up to receive visitors and condolences. Folk milled quietly about, talking and drinking cups of hot camomile tea.

Nineteen hobbits had been killed at the Battle of Bywater; another thirty had been wounded. Not a large number by any means, but for those who had the misfortune to fall, any number was too large. Samwise and Frodo had arranged for those grievously wounded to be taken in by local families where they could recuperate before returning home. All the hobbits in the original Resistence band who'd chosen to fight had survived unscathed and had already left for Tukborough to tell their stories to neighbors and kin.

The Shirriffs had not shared this same good fortune. Olo had died outside of Longbottom. Brass had been wounded at Bywater and was being nursed by a local family, although he was expected to recover and live to see the old ways return for which he was not sorry. Prior to the actual battle, Cami and Hob had exchanged promises, and made their final plans to wed. With help from Paladin, Hob had secured an intricately fashioned betrothal band for Cami to replace the one she had tossed away in a rage. Engraved on the silver ring were soft green leaves and tendrils gently intertwined. The two hobbits had shared their announcement with friends at the Smials just before Hob had ridden off to Bywater. But the fortunes of war had not been kind. Hob's body had been laid with the others in a common grave on the side of the hill, with a promise that the community would soon set up a fitting memorial.

Just a few days later, the families of all nineteen fallen hobbits had come together at Bywater within the confines of the Inn to share a little of their grief and bid their relatives and friends goodbye. There'd been stirring songs of bravery and sacrifice, and lilting poems that spoke of lives cut short and empty places at dinner tables. Flowers appeared on the hillside. No cut arangements, but living bushes and plants so that the empty, scarred earth would once again bloom with life.

Now everything was behind her. Cami had packed her few belongings for the long trek back to Buckland. Her heart was not in it, but she did not know where else to go. Although too ill from his imprisonment to assist her in person, her old friend Fatty Bolger had arranged for a cart to transport the women back to Brandybuck Hall. Honeysuckle did not look or act well, and Cami was worried about her mother's health.

Hitching Dandelion up to the traces, and making sure that her mother was as comfortable as she could be, Cami climbed into the front and took up the reins. She felt a tear slip down her cheek and hastily wiped it away, hoping that no one else was looking closely. She felt as lonely as she'd ever felt in her entire life.

Everything was changed. Hob's death, the years of unrest, and the Scouring itself had swept away much that Cami had always taken for granted. Even the people were different. The Samwise she knew, the young hobbit who'd been a childhood friend, had somehow turned old and wise, seeing and understanding much more than Cami. Merry, the gay young lad from Buckland, still had the gift of laughter, but spoke of places and people of which she knew nothing. And Frodo.... Frodo, she couldn't even talk to. He had always been quiet, and she had struggled for words. Now he looked as if he barely even saw her. And worst of all, the one hobbit she most wanted to see was simply not here. He had vanished from Hobbiton and was not coming back. She'd best accept that.

Everywhere Cami gazed, people looked happy. They talked about starting life anew, and making things right. Cami did not feel like that, and, right now at least, she would rather avoid those who did.

Grimly flicking the reins over Dandelion's back, the pony trudged forward. Before they'd gotten more than a half dozen paces down the lane, she was halted by the sound of a raised voice, "Cami! Mistress Goodchilde! Wait a minute. I've a message for you."

She turned around surprised to find Frodo staring at her. She'd already heard rumors about strange happenings abroad and, unlike the other hobbits who'd been with him, he did not look happy. His face and eyes were shadowed even more seriously than her own. "A message?" she repeated.

"Yes, from Mister Bilbo."

Cami's heart lurched up, then down, at the mention of her elderly teacher's name.

"I saw him in Rivendell," Frodo continued, "Not long ago. He was worred about you....he wondered what you were doing and how things had worked out..."

Cami kept silent, as she didn't think there was much of anything she could say that would be an acceptable answer.

Frodo smiled gently, almost as if he could sense what was bothering her, and then went on to explain, "He says you're to keep reading and learning." She nodded blankly, then sighed and muttered a thank you before sitting down again. Dandelion shifted and tossed his head pawing the ground, impatient to be off. Just as Cami picked up the reins and the cart rolled forward, Frodo spoke a final word, "One more thing. Bilbo told me you are to 'keep chasing after Elves.' It's very important!"

Cami pulled back startled, as bitter words spilled out of her mouth, "All well and good, but there are no Elves in Buckland..."

Frodo looked at her and then spoke deliberately, "Well, then, if I were you, I'd think about moving somewhere else...."

Her thoughts ran together in confusion. A tiny light beckoned her forward, glimpsed but for a second, and then it faded away. Still, she reasoned, it must be there somewhere. She impulsively leaned over planting a light kiss on Frodo's brown curls, before urging the pony forward. Somewhere else? But where? It would be another two years before she began to suspect that the answer to that question might lay hidden in the pages of a book.

[ October 28, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 10-28-2003, 01:35 PM   #173
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Since no one has come forward, I am writing the last scene to wrap up this game. Assiram will be one of the ruffians who try to break through the barriers set up by the Hobbits on the Bywater Road.

Anyone wishing to place a post concerning this battle can put it on the discussion thread, and I will put it on for them.

Please do so by tomorrow mid-day Pacific Time - I will be moving the game to Elvenhome on midnight of that day.
Old 10-28-2003, 01:38 PM   #174
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Pio,

I'm not sure if you copied my post from before; I know you are well organized.

However, I've revised the language considerably now that I'm actually awake and would prefer that you use the latest version.

Thank you.

Cami
Old 10-28-2003, 02:09 PM   #175
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Cami

Done! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

And I must say, if I were a Hobbit male, I would, despite the charm and pretty smiles and curls of Ms. Cami, avoid the woman like the plague! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Trouble and Angst swarm about her like bees around a fulsome flower - too easy to get stung!!!!! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-28-2003, 02:09 PM   #176
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Durelin

Your post is now on the game. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-28-2003, 04:14 PM   #177
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

The Battle of Bywater is now complete.

Assiram is dead - brought down by the combined efforts of Hob, Brass, and Dury.

Brave Hobbits of the Shire - all!

Poor, sweet Hob . . .
Old 10-28-2003, 04:18 PM   #178
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

That is soo sad! About Hob. Sweet, too.

Old 10-28-2003, 05:14 PM   #179
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

WAHHHHH! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Cami
Old 10-29-2003, 12:57 PM   #180
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I'm so sorry, I know I've been terrible. Then again, you try and come up with a new Treaty of Versailles and see how much time off you get! I hate uni.

Anyway, thank you to everyone for making "my" game work, you've been brilliant. Sorry again, believe me it upsets me lots that I was so bad as a game owner.
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Old 10-29-2003, 07:16 PM   #181
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

~*~ To Elvenhome ~*~