Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2003, 02:43 PM   #81
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Sting

Kalir looked at Ajada, who kept her eyes on LinGalad and Kalir the whole time they walked. Kalir wondered if maybe he and LinGalad were in on some secret plot for world domination that he was not aware of. He looked at Radagast walking a bit ahead of them. Kalir suddenly realized that he did not know of what they would face on the way.

"It has the taste of the mountains it came from, " LinGalad said. "Speaking of mountains, we must now either go over or around them, and I wonder which it is to be."

Kalir looked at LinGalad, considering the statement. "Well, I certainly hope we shall go around them," he finally said, "Going over the mountains would be a daunting task."

"To you, it may be," LinGalad said, "I, personally, think that it would be much easier to go over. And it would be quicker."

Kalir snorted, and looked at the mountains, "For you, maybe, Lord of the Mountains, but for me, it would take at least thrice as long. If I even lived through the ordeal."

"Why do you not ask Lord Radagast as to which road we shall take?" LinGalad suggested.

Kalir moved up, ignoring the suspicious look that Ajada gave him as he moved. He hoped she would not shout out, claiming that he was about to assassinate Radagast, but, luckily, she kept her throughts within her own head. Kalir came up beside the wizard, who turned and looked at Kalir curiously.

"I was wondering," Kalir said, "What road we would be taking? Shall we be going over or around the mountains?"

Kalir saw many of the others perk up as he asked. He saw that he was obviously not the only curious as to what their path and plan was.

"And, after we cross the mountains," Kalir added, fueled by the support he seemed to have in his questioning, "What exactly are we going to do?"
Old 06-04-2003, 07:50 PM   #82
DayVampyre
Wight

DayVampyre has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Avery didn't say anything about the course that they should take. Whichever path they decided on would suit her, though if the mountains were faster, all the better. If the 'poison' she was given didn't kill her, Ajada's rashness certainly would.

Honostly the very idea that either would try that. Avery, feeling rather parched again, took a drink from her bottle. She wondered if Adaja had written that down.

And what had Kalir meant by her looking pale? He must have been wrong. She felt fine. Seeing as LinGalad had taken to avoiding Ajada as well, Avery went over to him. She liked him, he seemed more light-hearted than the other elves and made for better company.

"Drink down any poisoned water lately?" Avery asked, having to look up at him.
Old 06-04-2003, 09:04 PM   #83
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

"The only poison I'm aware of is a certain suspicious attitude, which I fear will work little harmony into our companions. Except it be in unifying against it, which would be a sad turn."

Avery looked up at him, startled. It was such a solemn thing to say, and she had expected him to be more light-hearted than that. He cocked an eyebrow, and considered her surprise.

"However, " he continued earnestly, "having noticed the side effects of the suspicion, I have been most careful to avoid drinking any of it."

Avery nearly laughed out loud.

"I would suggest that you be equally cautious, " LinGalad continued. "I do not know the dosage required for a bad case of poisoning. Please be certain you avoid it completely."

"Good idea, " Avery giggled. "I'll be careful. Quite careful."

"I am glad to hear it, " LinGalad replied with perfect seriousness. Kalir and Calentoliel looked curious, but Mattius and Endereth smiled, and Radagast smoothed his moustache.

"Which way to the forest would be the least suspicious, I wonder? Across the mountains or south of them?" LinGalad asked Avery.
"What do you think?" Then he turned to Anarya. "Can you guess which way our leaders will choose?"

Anarya gave him an odd look. "Guess? Why?"

LinGalad shot a glance at Endereth, which she did not miss. "It has to do with osanwe, or I suppose you might call it hearing thoughts. One way to practice it is to try to listen, and then see if you are right." Endereth smiled, waiting. "But then, sometimes the person you are trying to listen to knows that you are trying to listen, and then they can mislead you."

Anarya gave Endereth a startled look. "Why would she do that?"

"Why would anyone fool someone in their company? For a good joke. And since I am naive, I suppose that makes me an easy target."

Kalir chuckled. "Poor LinGalad, the naive elvish laddie."

LinGalad smiled. "Laddie? Is that your name for me?"

Kalir laughed. "You want a nickname?"

LinGalad shrugged.

"I think he does!" Anarya replied.

"Lin-Ga-lad. Lad-Ga-Lin. LadGalin?" Kalir chuckled.

Mischievously, Avery said, "Lin-Gal-Ad; LaddyGal."

A burst of laughter followed. "LaddyGal! LaddyGal? Oh, that's good, " Kalir roared.

"Oh, but you don't mean it, " Anarya said, defensively. "That's hardly... No, no."

LinGalad shot a glance at Mattias, who shrugged, chuckling; and then he studied Kalir. Kalir and Avery were pink-cheeked and gasping with laughter.

"LaddyGal... oh, my." Radagast shook his head. Calentoliel and Endereth exchanged glances. but LinGalad did not object. Mattius, with another hidden smile, suspected that the nickname just might stick.
Old 06-05-2003, 08:47 AM   #84
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

"What are you thinking?" Anarya hissed at Avery.

"Oh, he'll get over it. He doesn't care. Look at him. He even likes it."

"I can't believe-- no, it's not right. It's not nice," Anarya protested again.

LinGalad glanced from Anarya to Avery to Kalir and back again, and wondered why Anarya was upset. Finally he veered over to Mattius. "Why is Anarya upset over my new nickname?"

Mattius smiled, but shrugged. "Ask her."

He did so.

"Because," Anarya replied indignantly, "I for one don't think that elves are sissy at all. And I think you're nice. And I don't think that's a good nickname for you."

"Sissy?" LinGalad frowned.

Poor Anarya tried to think of a way to explain it, glancing from Mattius to Calentoliel to Endereth and back to LinGalad. She couldn't think of anything.

Finally Kalir said, "It's because your braids are too pretty, and so is your face."

"Jealous?" countered Avery, teasing.

LinGalad relaxed, and turned to Anarya with a smile. "Don't worry. I think everybody knows that I'm not a girl, and whether they realise it or not, I'm not really particularly attractive for an elf. I think Kalir knows that I can hold my own against him in a fair match. And I suppose if among men-folk my braids are good for a laugh, then I'm back to my normal social status. I'm often the center of humor, since I'm so young. It doesn't offend me."

"Maybe you should just call him Laddie, " Anarya told Kalir.

"Oh, sometimes we will, " Kalir grinned.

Avery suddenly changed her mind. "Wait. How about Lindy?"

Anarya was very relieved. "Lindy. Oh, that's much, much better."

"Lindy, " LinGalad repeated, quite pleased.

Kalir still looked mischeivously unconvinced, and Calentoliel guessed that the LaddyGal nickname would surface at the most inopportune times. But Avery and Anarya were quite pleased with "Lindy".

Ajada took notes, wondering whether this latest development was of any importance, and whether LinGalad and Kalir were about to try and involve Anarya in their plot as well. She watched like a hawk to make sure that neither LinGalad nor Kalir offered anyone a sip of water.

[ June 05, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 06-05-2003, 04:16 PM   #85
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Mattius walked steadily behind Radagast who mumbled words to himself just out of the other's hearing range. Although leading them, the ancient wizard had no plan on which route to take, across the plains to the southern part of Fangorn, or across the mountains and enter the woods westerly region. In his mind he relied much on the other immortals, Mattius, Endereth and Calentoiel. To an extent he relied on LaddyGal... No! For the love of the elves don't call him that, thought Radagast.

Mattius looked up at the looming southern mountain, storms were at work on its highest peaks. The path would be difficult yet it could be done very quickly if done correctly. This was the thought of the other elves too. Now slowing his pace, Radagast peered over at the mountain. The previous night he had felt that something terrible was happening in Fangorn, it had come from deep inside the woods, a path across the mountain could get them there quicker. Slowly he stopped and turned around to look at them all. He could not force this on them, they would have to make up their own minds.

"We have reached our first point of choice," he said in such a strong voice that even Ajada lowered her writting hand. "We could head across the plains and into the southern edge of Fangorn. Or," he said slowly raising his hand to the mountains, "take the ancient mountain paths and reach Fangorn in the west. Persoanlly I think that the mountain path would be quicker in reaching the place we seek."

"And where is that then?" Asked Ajada in a sarcastic voice. Avery punched her in her arm whilst the others frowned at her. 'Ow!' she mouthed as Radagast replied.

"I know not where. I feel it, I felt it last night, something has happened in Fangorn in the past twenty-four hours." He paused before continuing. "From here on in things could and probably will get dangerous, if you wish to return to your homes now is the time."

The elves stood still, unblinking whilst the humans shuffled uncomfortably on their feet. Avery especially, it wasn't her choice to be here. Nevertheless she vowed in her head to see it though.

"Good," Radagast smiled, "now you have decided to continue we must vote on which route to take, mountains or plains. I cast my vote to the mountains."

"I also do Radagast," said Mattius as he looked over at the peaks.
Old 06-05-2003, 10:13 PM   #86
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

LinGalad smiled eagerly as Mattius spoke up for the mountains.

"So you vote for crossing the mountains?"

"Oh, I shouldn't vote before my elders, " LinGalad replied hastily. "It's not polite."

"But you do like the thought of going over instead of around?" Radagast persisted. LinGalad nodded, but said no more til the other elves had spoken.

[ June 06, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 06-09-2003, 08:48 AM   #87
DayVampyre
Wight

The Eye

Avery did not speak. Although she would have said to take the pass through the mountains. She was leaning against a nearby tree and slowly slid down it until she was sitting quite comfortably on the ground, her back resting against the rough trunk of the tree. She listened to what the elves said through a kind of dream like haze, not really paying attention.

"I wonder which way it will be" a voice said next to her, rousing Avery back in reality. She looked over and it was Anarya.

"I don't know, I hope for the mountains,"

"Why?"

"Cause, it'll get me away from her sooner." Avery pointed half-heartedly pointing towards Ajada.

"You two should not be so angry at one another, it's not healthy" Anarya said.

"she's the one going around here, like there's a crown on her head, not me. Ever since she found out I can't read--"

"You can't?" Anarya asked in surprize,

"no, but that shouldn't matter, I've learned other things that she hasn't, how to hold a sword." Avery said and was clearly going to say more, until she looked up and saw Radagast and the others looking down at them. Avery smiled

"So, the mountains, good sir?"

[ June 09, 2003: Message edited by: DayVampyre ]
Old 06-09-2003, 03:40 PM   #88
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ajada took careful notes on the voting process, listing into a chart who voted for what and with what tone of voice. In coming from Gondor with so prestigious a job as scribing, Ajada knew quite a lot about politics. However, something in the back of her mind told her this was a tad different. This was, of course, far less important than say the election of who brews the next barrel of ink, but it was still worth jotting down.

“And you, Almighty Scribe of Gondor,” began Mattius, who had come over to Ajada. Ajada hardly took note of his sarcastic, cynical tone, and merely waited for his continuation with a raised brow. “Which path do you prefer?”

“Well,” Ajada mused in response. “I do suppose that, ‘every vote counts’, does it not?”

Mattius nodded.

“In that case, I-" Ajada paused just in time to hear Avery decide that she wanted to go over the mountains. Now, Ajada was not one to get too terribly involved with the scientific interactions and decisions made by her reported-on specimens, but Ajada did so like to get on the last nerves of the thief girl. “I choose to go around the mountains.”

[ June 09, 2003: Message edited by: Aylwen Dreamsong ]

[ June 09, 2003: Message edited by: Aylwen Dreamsong ]
Old 06-14-2003, 02:30 PM   #89
DayVampyre
Wight

The Eye

"I choose to go around the mountains..."

Avery mimicked in her head.

"Stubborn writer, can barely hold a sword, much less defend herself with one. She'll probably get herself lost in the woods once we get there."

Avery sighed and tried to clear her head. Why waste her thoughts on that annoying writer?

Avery stood up and leaned against the tree.

"No offense, or anything, but what is the point of running around the mountains, when it'll take twice as long? Won't more people die the longer we take?" She said taking a drink from her water bottle.

"I mean, this is silly, lets just climb the mountains and get it over with." Avery finished, letting the bottle drop back into place and resting her hand on the hilt of her sword.

[ June 14, 2003: Message edited by: DayVampyre ]
Old 06-15-2003, 03:32 PM   #90
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

The chanting and swaying of the huorn continued as the priestess and her companion approached the outer circle of trees. Saelonia leaned over and whispered conspiratorially to her companion, "We have nothing to fear. A missive came this morning. We have eyes and ears even within the King's camp. The fools cannot even agree on which path they should follow. If they are so divided, unable to decide on such a simple thing, they will never stop us!"

Saelonia tilted back her head and laughed, until the echoing sound of her own voice came ringing back in her ears. "We will triumph. This King will wish he had never set eyes on the people of Rhun. No longer will our royal Khan bend a knee to the heirs of Aragorn."

Walking along the forest path, she proudly turned to Brethil and purred out a silken greeting, "Huorn, mighty prince of Fangorn, my companion and I extend good tidings to you and your kin. The mighty Khan will soon send an army to strike down these evildoers on two legs. It is they who have chased away your beloved Ents. It is they who are responsible for those who come into the sacred wooden groves carrying axes on their shoulders. We share your grief and rage against these Men of Gondor. Join now with Rhun! Together, we will bring the King of Gondor to his knees."

Brethil eyed the woman warily, uncertain whether or not he should trust her. Did she not also go on two legs? Was she truly different from the Men with axes? And how could he be certain that the Men of Rhun had not played some part in driving away the Ents? Still, he wanted to believe her. He wanted a path to follow, some clear way to channel his outrage. He almost willed it to be so.

"Fair Lady, I wish to believe you, as do my kin. But I do not know. You have come here before and spoken words like these. How can I trust you? How do I know you say the truth?"

Saelonia fixed a steely eye on Brethil, nodding her head, "You are right to question for you do not know me. But would you believe if an Ent came to confirm that I speak the truth. Or, perhaps.....perhaps not an Ent, but an Entwife."

The birch leapt convulsively so that his very roots tore loose and came spilling out from the earth. He turned his massive body and took one step forward, bending until his mighty branches almost touched the woman's face. "Do not jest about such a thing. No Entwives have been seen for long ages past. They are gone....gone." Brethil's voice sounded sad and distant. "Only the eldest of us even remember them."

Saelonia hissed back at the huorn, "I jest not. Nor do I lie. Tomorrow night, I will come here to this circle and bring an Entwife with me."

A low and excited murmur swept through the circle of trees that stood in the clearing. Brethil looked towards the others who nodded back to him. Their branches swayed in the cold night air, and a sound like the wind passed between them, as if they were talking to each other in some unknown tongue. Then Brethil turned again to Saelonia, "If you will do this, if you will bring an Entwife here who will vouch for your words, we will follow you until the ends of the earth. Our people will rise up and leave these quiet woods. We will march to war against the Men of Gondor."

With that, Saelonia and her companion nodded respectfully to the trees. "Tomorrow then. We will meet here and bring our friend." Then they turned and left the gathering, making their way back to their horses, quickly disappearing into the black haze of the night.

[ June 15, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 06-15-2003, 03:43 PM   #91
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Kalir grimaced at the suggestion. Sadly, the others seemed to agree. The idea also made sense.

"I suppose it is the best idea," Kalir said. The others looked at him, surprised. It seemed as thought his silence caused them to nearly forget his existence.

Kalir continued, "I may need aid, of course, as I may not be the best candidate to traverse the mountains with you."

LinGalad laughed, "You are not traveling alone, funny Human! We are all with you. Do not act so somber!"

Kalir looked at the Elf, losing his fear by seeing his friend so strong. He supposed it was rather immature to fear the mountains. A chuckle escaped from Kalir as he blushed at his former fear.

"Then it is settled: we will take the mountain pass?" Kalir asked, hoping they would take this path, as he had broken himself of his worries about crossing the ominous range.
Old 06-15-2003, 05:59 PM   #92
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

"I guess it is so, if Calen and Ender agree to it." Mattius looked over at the two who nodded in time with each other.

"And not a moment too soon!" Radagast exclaimed as small bird sat on his shoulder and chirped away. "Something is happening in Fangorn, there is movement there."

"The trees!" Shouted Ajada in such hysterics that the entire group stared at her with glaring eyes for a few moments.

"Something else too, men and women are there. Very strange, very strange indeed," said Radagast turning around and beginning to lead the off towards the mountains, not thinking about discussing matters with the group.

"He has a rare talent indeed Firnlord if he can talk to animals," said LinGalad to Mattius.

"I agree with you my friend, its just geting him to talk to men and elves that is sometimes the problem."
Old 06-16-2003, 11:02 AM   #93
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril

As the company began to head into the cold, looming mountains, everyone seemed a little more tense than they had been before. They all seemed to be grasping the magnitude of what they were undertaking now, and the trek through the mountains wasn’t about to do much more good for their morale. Kalir was fearful of not being able to make it through, but Endereth was constantly behind him, giving him encouragement. “You are the hero of your land in these times,” she told him, “and you are valuable to us as well. These mountains will be no match for you, Kalir,” she jested. Looking ahead, she saw Radagast moving steadily upward while a bird chattered on his shoulder. The Maiar listened intently as he led the company onward. Calentoliel ran up beside Ender. “What do you think it’s saying?” she whispered.

Ender watched the wizard for a moment more as the bird began to change its twittering to a seemingly more urgent tone. Radagast’s expression and stance did not change, however. The ranger sighed. “It’s probably telling the wizard the rest of its tale. Birds do observe much more than one might expect, and this one has obviously seen much. Though,” she added, “I would advise anyone here not to ask Radagast what the bird has told him. He’ll explain when he believes we are ready to hear it.” The bird flew away almost as soon as Endereth had finished her sentence. Calentoliel, understanding her friend completely, fell silent.

The company trudged on over the mountain, the humans growing ever more tired, and the elves ever more irritated. At one point Ajada called for a break. “This trek is so utterly dull that I have no more to write about!”

LinGalad climbed nimbly upon a boulder to sit as his eyes caught a flash of the sun. Turning his head back in the direction they had come from, the elf’s expression changed to one of wonder. “Feast thine eyes upon the view, my friends,” he said. “We’ve come quite far over the timberline.”

All heads in the company turned in unison to see a vast stretch of green treetops. As one turned their gaze southward, there could be seen a spire of blackest obsidian surrounded by small, cheery-seeming villages, while several miles away northeast rested a large and solitary group of shorter, darker trees. They seemed to leave a trail of blackened earth behind them.

“Huorns,” muttered Avery darkly. “Scourge of the forest and of Isengard.”

“No; all these events are not the fault of the Huorns,” Endereth replied calmly. “There is a greater force behind their wrongdoings, I’m sure of it. They would not act this way of their own accord.”

[ June 16, 2003: Message edited by: Ithaeliel ]
Old 06-17-2003, 08:05 PM   #94
DayVampyre
Wight

The Eye

Avery always had liked the high places of the world. She remembered the time, back in the city, when she and a friend had climbed to the top of the wooden ramparts on the far side of the city. They had spent the night burglaring some of the city's houses and the sun was just coming up.

Avery sat down on one of the rocks, not noticing the company beginning to move on. She was tranfixed by the view, but a few minutes later she noticed they were some ways off, but not too far that she couldn't catch up. She was just getting up to follow them when she felt a tickle down in the back of her throat. It made her want to cough or clear her throat.

*cough*
*cough**cough*

Avery sucked in a deep breath and went for her water.

*cough*

She grabbed the leather bound bottle and took a long drink from it. She paused for a minute, and the odd cough seemed to go away.

She grabbed her coat off the rock and began to catch up with the rest. She noticed something wet running into her eyes. She stopped and swept her hand across her forehead. She frowned, it was sweat. She must be more tired than she thought. With a coat sleeve she patted her face dry, took another drink from her bottle and went on.

The higher they went, the colder it seemed to get. Just when she was getting worried that she had lost them, she caught a glimpse of the ever familar LinGalad. She increased her step to catch up to him.

"Tryin' to lose me?" She asked with a friendly smile.
Old 06-20-2003, 05:29 AM   #95
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

A wagon stood in a forest clearing underneath the mighty oaks and maples that towered high above. The grey tree trunks were of mighty girth, but their height could not be guessed. There were no sentient trees here. Whatever consciousness these trees had once possessed was now gone as they slipped back into a trancelike sleep. The driver of the wagon had found his way to this remote spot by following the tracks of a dried up river bed. If any travellers passed by, which was quite unlikely, they might simply think that a trading expedition had strayed from the main path and was waiting for sunrise to retrace its route.

The vehicle looked like a drummer's van, the type used by prosperous merchants for distributing goods to stores and markets. Like most wagons of this type, it had high wooden sides and a tall roof, all painted with brightly colored pictures so that it was hard to see what was inside. Ornate gilt scrolls, also carved from wood, decorated the four corner posts of the cab. The back of the wagon was securely latched with an elaborate lock that required two separate metal keys to gain access to the interior. Several iron chains were wrapped around the rear as an extra precaution to prevent the gate from unexpectedly flying open even if the locks should fail.

Such wagons were a common sight on the streets of Minas Tirith. The vendors usually made their deliveries in the earliest hours of the morning just as the sun was rising. The only thing different about this particular wagon was its enormous size. The wheels were some six feet high with thick iron tires that made broad ruts in the roadway as the cart rumbled along to wherever it was going.

In the dim light of the fading moon, armed men with blazing torches and long metal rods with hooks advanced towards the wagon and formed a circle around it. They gradually drew the circle tighter until they stood within arm's length of the vehicle. These soldiers wore a kind of armor and insignia common to men of Eastern lands.

Saelonia and Azunel stood before the wagon's rear gate, inching ever closer. The latter held a firebrand in his right hand and a prod in his left. The priestess approached the cart and removed two keys from her vest pocket inserting them in the locks and throwing open the heavy door.

A pitiful wailing rose from inside the van, a beseeching cry for help that echoed untold depths of torment. At the same time, a long arm or limb extended from the inside of the truck, limply touching the wooden slats of the door, then reaching outside the van. Saelonia instanty shot forward and grabbed Azunel's firebrand, shoving it within an inch of the outstretched arm. Whatever was inside instinctively pulled back to avoid the pain that was sure to follow.

Reassured by this show of submission, the priestess climbed into the dim confines of the wagon, holding the firebrand out in front of her. Her lips curled in cruel triumph as she saw a figure of considerable mass crouched miserably in the corner.

"Please, please," the thing begged. "I must have some sun today. And a bit of water. I grow weary beyond all measure."

"Sun?" bandied Saelonia, arching her eyebrows upward. "You will most certainly see the sun tomorrow, if you will but do a small favor for us tonight."

"We must walk to a group of friends a short distance from here. You will come with us. Azunel will stand behind you and whisper the words to say. Then you will repeat them. Every one!"

She smiled slyly at the Entwife, and pulled on one of the chains, clucking and shaking her head. Then she turned around and snapped at the soldiers, "Take these things off. It will not do us any good if the huorn see her in chains."

"But maam...," one of the men protested. "She's sure to take off into the woods."

"Take off? I do not think so. Peachblossom knows what will happen to her people if she runs away. She loves her sisters dearly, and I do not think she wishes to see them die. I have only to send out a message by my great hawk Thrash, and he will wing his way homeward, ordering the plantation owner to strike down one of her sisters."

Saelonia glared back in the direction of the Entwife who contritely hung her head. Her branches and leaves quivered slightly, then hung down flat and limp. She had lost all will of her own or an ability to resist the demands of her master. She trudged along compliantly behind Saelonia as the group made its way towards the agreed upon meeting place.

[ June 20, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 06-21-2003, 05:07 PM   #96
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Lim stood, once agin immobile in the cool silence of the forest at night. It seemed that nothing had changed as he waited, ancient and unmoving- but somehow everything had changed. He had been stirred by the voice of a two legged person. He had moved a great distance. He had communicated with others. He had acknowledged the leadership of Brethil. He had been told of the Entwives.

The feeling raised by the last idea was something akin to the rising of sap, the natural quickening of life in spring. Vague memories swam through Lim's consciousness, too vague and unclear to give any definition to the term "Entwife" but he knew that the very idea had changed him.

The thoughts in his brain were faster now, and closer to the surface. He could feel more acutely the power of others of his kind as they stood around him, silent and unmoving as he. Yet they were there, he knew it. Oak, ash, beech and birch. There was a life in them that Lim hadn't even known he possessed until the two-legged one had come.

There had been two-leggers before, who had come with their implements to bite and chop, or burn. Lim barely knew what had happened to them, just that they had disappeared. Whether he had done something, or others like him, he hardly knew.

They were not the only ones who came to the forest, of course. Sometimes Lim had felt a presence beneath his branches, but if they did not come to cause pain he had barely noticed them. He had not then had the awareness he had now.

Lim felt life stir in him, and he revelled in it.

[ June 21, 2003: Message edited by: Lyra Greenleaf ]
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Old 06-22-2003, 07:04 PM   #97
DayVampyre
Wight

The Eye

"I looked behind for you several times. I was watching for you," LinGalad assured her. "If you hadn't been making steady progress, I would have returned for you. But I could see that you were gaining ground. Why were you coughing?"

"Coughing?" Avery replied blankly.

"Coughing, " LinGalad persisted. "A sudden exhale caused by a contraction in the muscles of the abdomen,"

"Oh, you--"

"That was what you were doing, wasn't it?"

"I guess I did, a little, " she grumbled. "Its nothing."

"Come, we are lagging behind, " he said, offering her his hand. She took it, and they ran foward up the hill. He helped her along quite a bit, but still, she was winded when they caught up.

"There, you are coughing again, " he said, worried.

Ajada rolled her eyes. "Oh, we wouldn't want that now, would we, " she muttered, taking notes.

Kalir silently offered Avery a drink from his water bottle.

"Probably why she's coughing in the first place, " Ajada muttered.

Avery had heard Ajada's comment plainly enough though.
If she had had the energy for it, there would have been another arguement right then and there...
Old 06-23-2003, 06:56 AM   #98
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

As the group had made ther way over the mountain pass the sun had quickly suck in front of them, leaving an outline of the tallest trees in Fangorn. Radagast had pushed them to go faster, the mortals were surprised that someone who looked so old could move at such a pace. Every so often he would mutter to himself about how he had been so foolish to not come to Fangorn earlier.

"It won't be long now," Calen said to LinGalad.

"Until what?" He asked innocently.

"Until we reach Fangorn," she replied frowning.

Mattius quietly laughed shaking his head whilst he rubbed his eye.

"Oh.." said LinGalad.

The ground had begun to get harder and less snow was about. The decent had begun from and now on they were beginning to find their feet on one of the many forrest paths that led into the heart of ancient Fangorn.

"Not long then?" LinGalad tried out. Ajada gave him a dirty look but Endereth smiled and nodded leaving the elf feeling proud.

Indeed, it wasn't long, soon trees began to sprout up either side of the path, small at first but began to get bigger. The darkness was now all consuming, and subconciously the group slowed their pace and moved closer together to avoid becomming lost. Eventually Radagast stopeed them.

"We are here," he said. In the gloom some twenty feet in front of them down the path the trees reached up to enourmous heights. The wood was twisted and bent, threatening and terrifying in the dark. Radagast led them in with Calentoliel and Endereth behind him followed by LinGalad, Avery, Ajada and Kalir with Mattius and the back, sword in hand.
Old 06-28-2003, 07:40 PM   #99
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Saelonia stood silently in the middle of a great circle of swaying Huorn, a glint of triumph reflected in her shadowed eyes. The meeting was going better than expected. At her side was an Entwife, a graceful creature looming some twenty-five feet high with a delicate filigree of pale peach blossoms adorning her leafy brow. Before the meeting even started, Saelonia's soldiers were careful to surround the glade where the huorn met, hiding in nearby woods as they secretly brandished torches, chains, and sharpened prods in case Peachblossom attempted to flee.

Brethil and the other huorn were initially incredulous and then overawed to find a genuine Entwife in their midst, a being of gentle dignity and quiet strength who had not been seen within the confines of Fangorn for over three thousand years. Yet, the huorn instinctively knew who she was. Their own lore contained whispered tales of the Ent consorts who had become enamored of the open lands where they might tend the lesser Olar. Eons ago, the Entwives had moved to the Brown Lands to care for the flowers, shrubs, fruit trees, and smaller growing things, teaching men to till and reap the riches of the earth. Then, without prior warning, they'd silently disappeared. Despite the efforts of the Ents to locate them, no one was certain where the Entwives were hiding, or even whether they had lived or died.

Brethil stared at Peachblossom in open admiration and listened to her articulate her support for the Easterlings and their cause. He felt an overweening yearning within his heart that she be a true shepherdess of the trees and show the huorn what path they should take. In this way, his people could lock in some measure of hope. Yet, in the dim shadows of the fading moonlight, led on by the urgent pleadings of his heart, Brethil failed to notice the Entwife's drooping limbs, her air of sadness, or the sullen mask that had solidified over her features. Only too happy to welcome the return of an ancient one, Brethil and his kin bent leafy crowns to the ground and humbly promised to follow the Easterlings on whatever venture they proposed.

After the meeting broke up and the huorn retreated from the glade, the priestess pulled Azunel aside, rubbing her hands together in glee and secretly vowing to make Gondor pay. She tossed her black curls back from her face and turned to her companion with a look of triumph dawning in her eyes, "Tomorrow, at sunrise, you and your soldiers will lead the huorn to pillage and raid the countryside lying south and west of the Entwash. Make your way slowly towards Isengard and Edoras. Leave no one alive in your wake. I will send the messenger birds back to Rhun as I promised and urge the Khan to send a mighty force to topple the fortress of Minas Tirith. The King of Gondor will have his eyes so narrowly focused on the ravages to the west that he will never suspect that an even greater danger threatens his eastern border."

"Fair lady, we will do as you say. But what shall we do with the Entwife?"

Saelonia scowled, "I want no more problems with this one. We will have a few soldiers drive her back to Rhun in chains that she may return to her sisters and their work on the plantation." She pulled Azunel even further off the pathway and whispered in his ear, "This Entwife is so cowed by our threat to do away with her sisters should she misbehave, that she will follow our dictates in all things. Of that, I am sure"

With these final words, Salonia stalked down the path in the direction of the Easterlings' encampment, mulling over a hundred different ambitious plans that percolated within her mind all vying for her attention.

[ August 30, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 07-01-2003, 05:00 PM   #100
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Kalir looked in wonder as they approached the trees. He had never seen anything so grand or so beautiful in his entire life. Kalir just wanted to touch the trees. He approached the forest, gaping in awe.

Most of the others around him at least seemed to have a similar feeling about the forest. Even Ajada stopped shooting people evil glances for a bit, looking up at the enormous trees. There was also a sense of unease at the ominous forest.

"We will get to travel in there?" Kalir whispered to LinGalad, who only nodded. Kalir subconsciously put his hand on the hilt of his sword. He didn't know why he took this caution, but it felt right for some reason. Although the forest was so inviting to Kalir, it also gave off a dark, ominous chill at the same time.

The group continued into the forest. Kalir's tension grew as they went on. What little light was left rapidly disappeared as they went deeper into the forest, the taller trees blocking out the light. Soon, Kalir's human eyes could see nearly nothing around him. He trusted the others to guide him through the maze of trees.
Old 07-02-2003, 12:29 PM   #101
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

The sound of a sigh moved through the branches of the assembled Huorn. It might have been a breath being released after years, or it might have been a whisp of wind. A sensation too strong to be called joy filled Lim at the sight of her. An Entwife. It was on the mind of every Huorn there, a feeling of shock, happiness and...rightness, stronger, certainly, than anything Lim could ever remember feeling. Although now she was here he found he could remember more than ever before. It felt like she had breathed life into him, like the sigh of the wind.

He listened intently to what she was saying. Firmly she stressed her agreement witht these two-leggers, the ones that had come before, Lim knew. Recognition was probably another gift that she had given him. She said how the Huorn should do what these humans told them to do. With an unshakable feeling that the world, at last, had come perfectly right, he silently pledged allegiance. With more windlike murmurs exercising voices that many had forgotten they posessed, oak, ash, beech and birch bowed to the humans.

[ July 02, 2003: Message edited by: Lyra Greenleaf ]
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Old 07-08-2003, 03:16 PM   #102
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Sting

With the dimming light, Ajada made one last feeble attempt to write some notes down before all light was gone. She walked slowly, all her concentration on the piece of parchment in her hands and the last rays of sunlight leaking in through the trees.

Entered the forest after morning in the Salty Tear. No one speaks above a whisper. Kalir and LinGalad showing more and more signs of mutinee and a master plan to thwart the good-doers in this group. Avery is very sick. Kalir has poisoned her, obviously. Must not let them get out of hand until Radagast believes me. He will deal with them. They will not succeed. Will continue when visibility is better.

Ajada put her writing things back in her pack, involuntarily returning to her usual suspicious and alert expression as the first awe of Fangorn Forest faded. Kalir was whispering to LinGalad, undoubtedly about their plans to kill everyone or poison them into brainwash and using them as minions of their plan. Little did they know that Ajada was fully aware of their monstrous and absolutely massive, stupendous, horrendous, tremendous, colossal intentions.

Avery began coughing again, interrupting Ajada's thoughts. In the darkness, however, Ajada was able to see someone offering Avery water. Who was it? Ajada peered into the general direction of the hacking Avery and saw none other than Kalir next to Avery through her squinted eyes.

"No! Don't drink the water!" shouted Ajada, causing an uproar of once idle and hushed animals and denizens of Fangorn. Mattius immediately clasped his free hand (for he still held his sword aprehensively in the other) over Ajada's mouth, silencing her.

"Quiet! You foolish girl!" Radagast chastised in a hushed but angry voice. "There is no telling what might hear you in this place! Things that we don't want to be aware of our presence yet!"

"Can you continue without speaking so loudly again? Or do you need Mattius to keep you silent this whole trip?" asked Calentoliel calmly. When Ajada nodded Mattius released her.

"But Kalir is trying to poison Avery!" whispered Ajada urgently.

"Stop making such foolish accusations," ordered Endereth from nearby. Ajada had no idea where exactly anyone was anymore, for little or no light could penetrate the canopy of the trees.

This silenced Ajada once again, shaking the scribe to a new resolve. If the almighty elves did not want her help, she would not give it.

They can all be poisoned now, for all I care, she thought vehemently.
Old 07-08-2003, 04:04 PM   #103
DayVampyre
Wight

The Eye

Poison seems to be all that girl can think about, Avery thought.

She walked on silently with the rest of the group through the dark and damp forest, Kalir nearest. It was the musty atmosphere and heavy air that was making her cough. She had most certaintly never been in this enviroment before.

"We should be stopping soon," She heard Kalir whisper.

She wondered if he was telling her that or resuring her that sleep was close at hand. She felt better now anyway. Good enought to put up with Ajada anyway, who at the moment seemed to be quite upset with the fact that she couldn't write anymore. That fact alone made Avery smile.

As the darkness continued to close around them, Avery thought she could see movement of..well...something out of the corner of her eye. Her hand went automatically to her sword, and she let it grip the hilt of her sword...
Old 07-08-2003, 04:24 PM   #104
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Kalir continued to shoot looks of venom Ajada's way. She did not seem to notice, however, and continued to either sulk or plan out more accusations, Kalir knew not which. He took this opportunity to move to the other side of LinGalad, so that he was partially blocked from Ajada's view.

"Must she continue like that?" Kalir asked, beginning to whisper again to LinGalad.

"I do not know, friend," LinGalad replied, shrugging.

"It is probably a female thing," Kalir muttered under his breath.

Kalir looked over to where Avery was. He tried to catch her eye. When he finally did, he smiled. She smiled back kindly. He nodded towards Ajada and rolled his eyes. She nodded and smiled a bit. There was a hint of worry behind her eyes, though, and Kalir saw her hand near her weapon, ready to draw in a heartbeat.

"You like her, do you not, friend?" LinGalad asked Kalir, a glint of teasing in his eyes.

"What? Me? No...me...like her? Of course not," Kalir spluttered. LinGalad simply laughed a bit. Kalir turned a light shade of pink.

Kalir looked ahead, in the hopes that LinGalad would stop chuckling and looking at him in that way. However, it only amused LinGalad more, it seemed. Kalir sighed, and laughed a bit at himself.

"I think I will go talk to Ajada," Kalir finally whispered to LinGalad. He quietly slipped over to Ajada, who looked at him suspiciously as he approached.

"What do you want?" she asked him.

"I just want to talk," Kalir responded, "Is there something so wrong with that?"

"There is if you try kill me," hissed Ajada.

"With words?" Kalir asked Ajada. Ajada continued to look at Kalir suspiciously.

May the Vala help us all! Kalir thought as he continued to try to engage Ajada in whispered conversation, only to find himself accused of various assassination attempts. Kalir was determined not to give up, though, and he continued his attempt at conversation with the apprehensive Ajada.

[ July 08, 2003: Message edited by: VanimaEdhel ]
Old 07-08-2003, 10:42 PM   #105
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Silmaril

As Mattius and Radagast led the group on, Calentoliel kept at the back. She walked alone, as it was something she had grown used to in her years of solitude.

As darkness approached, the conversations between companions died down to only a whisper. A cool breeze blew, causing the trees to sway ever so slightly. Calentoliel shivered as she looked about uneasily.

"Feeling lonely?" Endereth asked as she appeared at the other elf's side.
Calentoliel smiled at her old friend. "Perhaps," she responded. "But I have grown used to it."
"Aye," Ender nodded solemnly. "I know what you mean. It is strange to spend so many years alone, then suddenly bring yourself into a company so large."
The wind picked up as she said this, causing Calentoliel to frown.
"Do you hear that?" Calen whispered.
"Hear what?"
"Voices in the wind. They speak in whispers barely audible. But I can hear them. Can you?"
The two elves walked together for several minutes in silence before Endereth nodded.
"Aye, I do hear them," the ranger said. "We are getting close."
Old 07-13-2003, 07:48 PM   #106
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Sting

Disgusting! Ajada was talking to the horrid Kalir face to face, and he wouldn't leave! Why was he confronting her? Did he not know that Ajada knew of his evil plans? Ajada had settled with the determination to get a blatant confession from Kalir. He continued interrogating the scribe, asking why she thought this and that and why she always accused him of things.

"Do you find poison...interesting?" Ajada changed the subject suddenly, preparing to make a mental note of everything Kalir said. Ajada's words caught Kalir off guard for a moment, but all to quickly he had come up with an answer, which amused Ajada ever so slightly to see him have to think.

"Erm, yes. Poison is...interesting..." Kalir seemed slightly unsure of his words, but Ajada simply noted every single word in her mind and smiled happily. She had her confession!

"So, you admit it! You admit to poisoning Avery, you admit that you attempted to poison others, you admit everything! You confess to having an evil plan with LinGalad, and you admit to wanting to use us as minions and pawns in your plan of DOOM!" Ajada cried, raising her voice to a level that was unsettling to all the Elves, who seemed to be listening to something.

"I did not say that!" Kalir shouted, in a voice just slightly above Ajada's. He could feel the cold, harsh glances of Radagast and Mattius upon him, so he repeated the exclaimation in a lighter tone. "I did not say that."

Ajada grinned smugly as Kalir swerved the conversationer's direction slightly so that they were right behind LinGalad and right in front of Avery. He had given her a confession, and Ajada knew he knew she knew he knew it! But then would LinGalad know that she knew that he knew that she knew he knew? Ajada had slowed her step, backing away from Kalir and LinGalad and instead walking in step with Avery.

"Avery, would you be so kind as to use your all-powerful knowledge of thievery to steal that little water canteen off Kalir's belt?" Ajada asked sweetly, and was given the reply of an annoyed glare. Ajada rolled her eyes, remembering what Leo had told her so long ago: If you want something done right, do it yourself.

Ajada crept up behind Kalir as he talked to LinGalad worriedly. She was for once thankful for the darkness that Fangorn provided as she clumsily found the pouch that held Kalir's poisoned water. She was just about to untie the pouch when Kalir and everyone in front of him stopped walking. Ajada fell stumbling backwards at the sudden halt, but quickly pulled herself up and pointed at Kalir.

"You're trying to KILL everyone here so that you can CONQUER all of Middle-Earth! I can see RIGHT through you and your silly Elven friend, Kalir! Your smug expressions and your smooth lies will not get past me! I know you have the evil poison pouch of doom around your waist, and that is why Avery is coughing and DYING! No one here understands what I am trying to do! I am trying to warn them but they won't listen! How much clearer do I have to be with you people!"

The words flowed from Ajada's mouth in a powerful and loud scream, but her speech was cut short by another silencing hand from some unknown 'benefactor'. Everything had stopped and everything was silent.

"Do you hear it?" LinGalad whispered fearfully. Ajada rolled her eyes. He was obviously trying to distract everyone while he prepared the scene for their gruesome deaths!

"Hear what?" asked Kalir and Avery in unison, causing Ajada to roll her eyes at Kalir's feeble attempt to help LinGalad and Avery's stupidity. Could she not see the mutinee that was taking place before her? Perhaps the poison was affecting her.

"It is getting louder and clearer" Calentoliel murmured admittedly, ignoring the question from Kalir and Avery.

"Do you think they are that close?" wondered Endereth, her voice calm and unwaveringly confident as she spoke.

"No. They know we are here," said Mattius firmly and grimly.

"Let us hope that is not the case," Radagast cut in, his voice short and choppy.
Old 09-04-2003, 02:58 PM   #107
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

"Set a watch, we will change every two hours," said Mattius in the darkness.

"I will go first, if that is okay," came Kalir's voice from his left.

"Yes, wake me for the next turn," he replied.

After a time of nervous travelling within Fangorn the noises the elves had heard faded away and after some discussion, it was decided that a camp should be set up. Night had closed in quickly and visability was alomst impossible.

The group had grown quiet, even Ajada had stopped talking, if at least for the time being. The elves sat, listening for a sign that they were not alone. Kalir took first guard, for what is was worth- the black of the forest was impossible to see into, even LinGalad had trouble in piercing the gloom.

"You others should try and rest while you have the chance," Radagast started, "try and sleep, I will wake you if anything happens."

Reluctantly the humans, bar Kalir laid on the forrest canopy and one by one fell into uneasy sleeps.

Nightmarish visions of trees with arms ripping their friends apart limb from limb haunted them. A particular vision was Avery's and so horrific was it that she sat bolt upright and tried to scream; but no sound came forth.

Mattius held Avery's mouth with his right hand and with his left signaled her to be quiet. After she nodded he released her and moved close to her ear.

"Get up," he said, "they are comming."
Old 09-04-2003, 04:54 PM   #108
DayVampyre
Wight

The Eye

Avery swallowed hard, nearly terrified. She slowly got up, following Mattius' lead, trying to make not a single sound as she rose. Her eyes were wide, trying to see what was going to come from the darkness that was encrouching around them. Her hand went to her sword's hilt, but she didn't draw her sword just yet.

The dream, was still vivid and very real in her mind. The trees had been reaching out and advancing toward them and then began to attack. There were soon too many for them to fight and were killing off everyone in the party. Kalir and LinGalad had been the first followed shortly after by the elves. Radagast, Ajada and herself were still there. The trees then swooped down on Adaja. Avery saw her trying to fend them off with her sword but it was futile. Avery had tried to help but found herself glued to the forest floor. It was when they attacked Radagast that Avery had woken up.

Avery could feel herself trembling from fear, but was hoping no one would pick up on her unease. Mattius stood nearby and so was LinGalad. They gave Avery strength and she was able to steady herself.
Old 09-05-2003, 10:10 AM   #109
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

The trees watched in silence as the Easterlings retreated towards their original encampment, which lay about a mile to the west beyond the meeting place. Once the procession had cleared a nearby ridge so that Brethil and the other huorn could no longer see them, the men reached for their whips and brands, locking the chains on Peachblossom and herding her into the caravan. Arriving at the campsite, most of the soldiers stowed their gear and stretched out on the forest floor with its cover of matted pine needles, rapidly falling asleep and dreaming of the riches they hoped to acquire from their raids. Only a few scant hours remained till dawn. At that point, Azunal planned to rouse the men to join with the trees and begin their joint trek of pillage towards the south and west.

Despite the late hour, Azunal and Saelonia were still awake, seated on a fallen log at the edge of the encampment as they peered at a large map of Gondor that was spread out on the ground. Most of their conversation was hushed, carried out only in whispers, but, every so often, they raised their voices and bickered over this strategy or that. Directly in back of the firepit, not more than a foot or so to the left, stood the trailer with the imprisoned Entwife.

"Watch your voice!" growled Saelonia. "That walking fruit salad may awaken."

Heedless of the need for silence, Azunel threw back his head and roared, his bellows of laughter echoing through the tangled brush. "No. No chance of that. She is bound in chains with great burns across her leafy brow. My men had themselves a bit of sport so that she dropped to the ground unconscious. We can talk without fear."

Saelonia relaxed her posture and observed, "The army should be here in short order. The Khan and his son called up the troops before we left. By now they should already be at the eastern rim of the Ashen Mountains, north of Mordor. We still have friends there who will aid us in our journey to Gondor."

Azunal grunted his approval, "We will not tarry long with our raids. Only ravage and burn to strike fear into the countryside and then swing towards the east to the meeting point where we join forces with the Khan.

"And where might that place be?" Salonia quietly probed, eager to have this important piece of information that might be put to later use.

Without thinking, Azunal casually noted, "The marshlands that lie north and west of Minas Tirith. At a point called the Wetwang or the Nindalf. A wet land near the base of the Rauros Falls, just off the Anduin River. A spot that is desolate and largely unguarded. Our army may gather there in silence with no one in Gondor suspecting that the enemy sits on her very doorstep. It is a brilliant plan. As long as no advance warning is given to these weak men of Gondor, we can not help but conquor. Our forces will sweep down from the north and strike a mighty blow against the city of Minas Tirith."

Saelonia smiled triumphantly as she revelled in the overall simplicity of this plan. Only a wise or reckless ruler would be rash enough to place his own army within sight of his enemy's back door. The Khan was a bit of both.

The troops would approach under the shelter of the mountains of Mordor and then sweep down across the Dead Marshes where no living thing dwelled, finally arriving at the Wetwang. Since the path would be bare and desolate, there was an excellent chance they would make it to the river without the King ever learning of their approach.

The eyes of the men of Gondor were ever fixed on Isengard and Rohan or the lower reaches of the Anduin. They would not think to keep guard on this wasteland at their back. But it was from here that the culminating attack would come.

"And you Lady? What will you do now?" Azunal queried.

"I will come with you as you begin your trek. But after a few days, my path lies elsewhere."

"Elsewhere?" The single word was spoken in a tone that carried an overwhelming sense of mistrust.

"Aye."

"Of what do you speak?"

She shrugged her shoulders and idly laughed, "I do not know. We will wait and see."

Azunal was not content with this answer, but knew better than to ask for more. With that exchange, the two Easterlings withdrew from the parlay and went their separate ways for the night.

[ September 06, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 09-14-2003, 06:43 AM   #110
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

The forest lay wrapped in darkness as Saelonia and Azunal retired to their tents on the far side of the clearing. The single sentry on duty patrolling near the edge of camp sat down for a moment to rest, his body perched on a log as he leaned forward listening to the chirp of crickets and the solitary croaking of a nearby frog. Their melodies intertwined and reached out to his mind like a gentle lullabye.

Once, he nodded, then twice, as drowsiness assailed him. He found his eyes growing heavier until they locked shut in sleep, with his body slumped wearily against the trunk of a nearby tree.

Peachblossom sat up inside her prison staring down at the chains encircling her wrists and ankles. Believing that she would never try to flee, her captors had left her hands free, but soldered the final links of each chain onto a thick metal bar that was set across the back gate of the wagon. The Entwife remembered the discussion she had heard through the window of her caravan while she was slumped onto the floor where the guards had haphazardly left her, deeming her to be unconscious. These were words whose meaning was readily apparent:

As long as no advance warning is given to these weak men of Gondor, we can not help but conquor. Our forces will sweep down from the north and strike a mighty blow against the city of Minas Tirith.

Peachblossom stared out the window of the wagon and shuddered. Innocent people would die, large numbers of them, unless she did something to warn someone about the Easterlings. She was stronger than her captors. That she never doubted. But they had always threatened to take revenge on her sisters if she ever attempted to escape. She had believed them and been afraid to do anything at all. It was the same way these evil folk had cowed and ruled those enslaved on their plantations.

Peachblossom recalled the other words that the man had spoken when he described the place where the armies of the Easterlings would meet to begin their assault:

The marshlands that lie north and west of Minas Tirith. At a point called the Wetwang or the Nindalf. A wet land near the base of the Rauros Falls, just off the Anduin River. A spot that is desolate and largely unguarded....

These words meant nothing to her. She had no map to look at, and it had been too many years since her kinfolk had last set foot near the Anduin. Yet something inside whispered a warning. You must tell someone, tonight. Someone who can help. Not even your fear for your sisters must stop you from doing this.

With a strength born of desperation, in one mighty jerk, she ripped loose the metal bar that had been placed across the gate. Heaving the crosspiece up into her arms, she slipped cautiously out the back of the wagon, her wrists and ankles still encircled with the chains that were soldered onto the bar. The shackles chafed miserably against her arms and legs, but she found she could go forward a little at a time, and carefully made her way out of the encampment and into the dark woods.

As she walked gingerly along the track, some ancient part of her that had been asleep for a thousand years revived and came to life. Something drove her on. Some instinct or feeling she did not understand. By the time the first rays of the sun crept out over the horizon, Peachblossom found herself on the edge of another encampment, this one much smaller than that she'd left behind.

She peered into the camp from behind a grove of trees and noticed a handful of travellers waking up around a smouldering fire, which one of them was trying to tease back to life not with living wood, but with the dead twigs the trees had shed onto the ground. Not knowing exactly what to say or do, but certain that these folk were the right ones, she blundered forward into the clearing, the chains and metal bar dragging heavily behind her on the ground.

Brinniel's post:

The sun was only beginning to rise when the small group awoke. It was still quite early, yet everyone seemed relieved to pack up their camp, for none had slept soundly that night. Instead, each of them dreamt horrific images that continued to haunt them even after they had awoken. Calentoliel did not remember dreaming something so terrifying since the day of the Black Beast.

"We cannot remain here long," Radagast commented as Anarya fed the small camp fire dead branches in an effort to keep it burning. "The enemy draws near. We must leave before they are upon us."

"But what enemy is it you speak of?" asked Kalir. "Is it the huorns? Or perhaps something we do not know of?"

No one responded to his question, except Ajada, who whispered something rather harsh to him.

Kalier gave a large frown. "I am NOT plotting ANYTHING, I tell you!" He spoke in a loud tone, gritting his teeth with anger.

"Hush!" Mattius cried out, raising his hand in the air. He gazed into the distance, as if he had heard something.

All took heed of his word and suddenly, it was silent. Not even the slightest breeze could be heard. But the silence did not last long. Beyond the trees and in the direction Mattius was staring, heavy footsteps could be heard, followed by the sound of cumbersome chains dragging behind.

"Someone comes," whispered Avery, nervously.
"There is no need to point out the obvious," Ajada said, rolling her eyes.

Endereth put her finger to her lips, silencing them both.

The company did not move from their camp, but instead waited as the footsteps grew closer. After what seemed like several minutes (though it was only seconds later), a shape finally came into view.

It was a large, tree-like creature bound in chains and it held a rather frightened expression on its face. Calentoliel stared at the creature in awe. Her mind raced back to the stories Rothalle had told her of Fangorn. Her sister had adventured in this forest many times and knew much about this strange place and what dwelled here. And now, the stories became vivid as she gazed at the creature. Oh, if only Rothalle were here now!

"What is this...thing?" LinGalad whispered to her.

Calentoliel smiled. "She is an Entwife."

[ September 15, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 09-14-2003, 05:07 PM   #111
DayVampyre
Wight

Sting

Avery whirled around as did Mattius and LinGalad. The creature had come from behind and nearly startled the skin off her.

Avery took a step foward, ready to draw her sword against the lumberingly huge creature, however, LinGalad's hand found her's and stopped the sword from parting with it's sheath.

She thought at first he was quite mad to not attack the giant, but after taking a second look at the tree-creature, Avery could see that there was no malevolent intent. Her hand fell from her sword and watched as it began to speak.

[ October 07, 2003: Message edited by: DayVampyre ]
Old 09-19-2003, 04:58 PM   #112
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Early light broke over the camp of Easterlings. The commander was awake and he quickly barked an order to the others to wake. Navru roused himself quickly and sat up, stretching and listening to his back crack. They would have to watch that wretched tree again today. Why they did not just kill it and be done with it, he did not know. It slowed their progress greatly. He did not even know why they had it. It served no purpose.

The commander ordered that they check on the sapling. Navru quickly rose and trotted over to where they had left the thing the previous night. Ataman would not even be awake yet, unless Bosha and Goman decided to wake up early and were now playing at home. They did not have to worry about the stupid hunk of firewood.

He looked around. The thing was not there. Navru saw the bar where it had been tied left a mark dragging along the ground into the woods. The tree had run away in the night.

"Ai!" Navru barked, "It's gone!"

The commander swore and strutted over to where Navru was standing. A few more men came over to look. The guard was still sleeping not far off. He snorted and awoke to find a very disgruntled commander staring at him.

"I just...wha-...what?" was all the tired man could manage.

The commander lost his head. He yelled at the Easterling, gesturing madly and using swearwords that Navru had not heard in a long time.

"Commander!" Navru said, holding his fist over his heart in salute and nodding his head quickly, "May I speak freely?"

The commander turned with fire in his eyes, "Yes, soldier? Be quick!"

"Would it not be more beneficial to look for the...erm...whatever it is? It cannot have gone far with that heavy bar. Also, it made no attempt to hide its trail. My guess that, at a quick speed, we may catch...erm...it...by nightfall this evening. At the very latest, that is..."

The commander looked hard at Nazru. "What is your name?" he asked gruffly.

"Navru, sir. Son of Bocte, son of Nevbosh, son of-"

"Yes, soldier, I get the picture," the commander said briskly, "Navru is it? Well, I put you in charge of the rescue team. If you do not, in fact, catch the prisoner, you will have to answer to me."

"Sir?" Navru said, "I am not sure it is my place to do such a thing." He nodded respectfully again.

"Soldier, you have your orders," the commander said, turning around and walking away.

Navru grunted. Ataman was going to kill him. She did not want him going anyway. With Goman and Bosha, she was so busy. But he had his orders.

"You! And you!" Navru barked, "You heard the orders. Now get moving."

He selected nineteen men to accompany him on the rescue mission. They scurried to get ready. Navru quickly packed up. They set out on the trail, the morning passing quickly...

[ September 21, 2003: Message edited by: VanimaEdhel ]
Old 09-20-2003, 10:45 AM   #113
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Peachblossom stood stunned in the middle of the circle, looking down at the small figures that now turned their faces up to meet her eyes. For a moment her heart dropped. One or two in the camp seemed frightened and were hastily reaching for their weapons.

Out of instinct, she drew back. Fear welled up in her heart. She had seen so much endless cruelty and violence, so many of her sisters threatened with burning brands, that it was hard to imagine these or any other strangers welcoming her. She had learned to expect the worst.

But then the little creatures stopped, and discarded their weapons on the ground as if to confound her expectations and fears. One or two cautiously came forward, holding out empty hands to show that they held no weapons and that their intentions were good. Still, she could not decide. Should she run away or stay? Perhaps, this was only a trick to ensnare her into their clutches. Perhaps the brands and chains lay waiting round the corner.

It was then that she saw the Elf. A distant memory flooded through her mind of misty tales repeated at the Elder's knee when she was just a strippling. Elves....those who gave us the precious gift of words. The ones who love the forest and would never wish the Ents or Entwives ill. She walked forward to the slender figure. How many years had it been since she had last seen or spoken with an Elf? She could not remember.

Then she bent down and talked, remembering to say her words much faster than she usually liked, since these creatures, just as the Easterlings, were very fond of speed.

"Please, master Elf, can you help me, as you helped my kin long years ago. I am hurt." Peachblossom thrust out one of her roots showing where the chains had cruelly chafed her and how the shackles were still attached. There were gashes in the bark and sap ran freely down her body.

"Can you remove these and tend to my wounds? Then I have something to tell you. I have risked much to come here" She looked over expectantly in the direction of the Elf and then nervously towards her own back wondering if she'd been followed.

[ September 20, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 09-30-2003, 09:33 PM   #114
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Mattius gathered a corner of his cloak in one arm, making a fair-sized pocket, and began scooping up large handfuls of moss.

LinGalad cleared his throat, blinked through several tears and replied, "Yes, Lady Peachblossom. We will do all that we may. " Searching hurriedly for ferns, he found the right type, and began ripping them up by the handfuls, singing softly as much to soothe his own fears as to soothe the towering, wounded tree-creature. Endereth came forward with a cloak-corner full of grasses, spoke soothingly to Peachblossom, and called for water.

Mattius glanced at Avery. "The chains?" Avery began scanning the clearing. No hammer, no anvil, and no fire... her heart sank. But she searched all the harder.

Kalir came forward with his bottle of water, and Radagast took several bottles and went to a nearby stream to fill them, but with a snort, Mattius simply stepped to the stream and immersed his cloak-pocket full of moss. LinGalad brought the ferns, Endereth the grasses, and before long they had made a larger batch of poultice than LinGalad had ever seen before.

Radagast spoke with the towering enigma as the three elves busied themselves poulticing her wounds. "How will we bind the herbs in place?" Endereth wondered aloud, and was surprised to find Ajada at her elbow.

"Will this help?" She was holding out her precious package of reserve paper, glancing nervously up at the Entwife.

"Oh, Ajada. Yes. Yes, it will. We can put sheets of the paper over the poultice, and tie it on with some of these runners." Kalir looked where Endereth pointed, and began pulling up the creeping viney roots. They were soft and pliable, but strong.

Ajada waited as Kalir brought handfuls of roots, and held out sheets of her paper, one by one. Endereth smoothed the paper over the poultices, and then tied them in place with the roots. Peachblossom's running sap began to adhere to the paper and dry, adding additional strength to the drying paper.

Kalir studied Ajada, but she was focused entirely on the tree-lady before her. "Will you be all right?" she asked. LinGalad glanced up; she was voicing his own fears. The wounds were cruel and terrible. He kept singing.

Peachblossom turned her strange green eyes toward Ajada, and hesitantly and slowly replied, "I do not know, little man-lady. But I am beginning to hope so."

Ajada helped Endereth smooth the paper-edges against her bark, and Kalir thought that she was fighting back tears. He decided not to say anything.

"Maybe between those rocks, and maybe a sword..." said Avery, pointing towards two large boulders, and gesturing nervously at Mattius' sword.

"Not the sword, " groused Radagast. "All right, you young lads, gather round." He motioned Peachblossom toward the two boulders. They laid one of her chains across the larger boulder, and then Mattius, Kalir, LinGalad, and Endereth surrounded the smaller boulder.

"Not without me, " said Calentoliel, coming forward. Anarya joined her.

"You hold the Entwife out of the way, and protect her, " snapped Radagast in return. Calentoliel and Anarya looked up dumbfounded at the huge Entwife, glanced at each other and wondered how they were supposed to hold a tree out of the way of a rock. Before either Calentoliel or Anarya could think of anything, the boulder smashed down onto the chain, bursting it, and narrowly missing the Entwife as it bounced towards the stream. LinGalad dodged out of its path.

"Now what about the other three chains?" muttered Kalir.

[ September 30, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 10-07-2003, 06:43 PM   #115
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Now that they had managed to destroy one of the chains, those remaining snapped apart more easily, with the boulder cleanly severing the links and then bounding harmlessly away. Peachblossom's relief was evident as she spoke her formal words of thanks, "Your efforts are most welcome. I am deeply in your debt."

She gazed down at the poultices that had been so gently wrapped around her limbs and smiled wanly at her rescuers. Her eyes seemed soft and distant. "It has been so long since anyone other than my sisters has touched me with kindness. I can not remember when..."

It was Radagast who stepped forward and broke the awkward silence, extending his hand in friendship, and going on to voice the question that weighed on everyone's mind, "You are most welcome in our camp, Mistress Peachblossom. But I feel compelled to ask something of you. You speak of your sisters. Pray tell us where these Entwives dwell now, for it has been endless years since any news of your folk has reached our ears. Many evenings around the campfire, Gandalf and I pondered this mystery and wondered if any yet might be live. But however we inquired and searched for an answer, none was forthcoming."

Peachblossom looked crestfallen as a grimace of pain slipped across her face, "My sisters? They are many leagues from here. Far to the east. The place where we live is called a plantation. There we work day and night, toiling endlessly, to raise food for the armies of a powerful king."

"I can tell you little more than that for we are not allowed to roam freely so I know almost nothing of the people and the land, other than the cruel masters who rule over us. Ah, but yes, there is one thing... Near us is a great body of water called the Sea of Rhun which lies locked about with land on all sides."

Radagast and Mattius exchanged glances, but neither said anything. Peachblossom shook her head, "But I am not here to tell you of my sisters. I fear their plight is hopeless." She turned her face away and hung her head and then looked up with renewed determination reflected in her eyes. "No, I am here to warn you that your own people lie in danger. For my captors are raising an army. They intend to come and enslave your own cities and fields."

There were murmurs all around the campsite as those present pondered the meaning of these strange words. But before any could speak, Peachblossom recited the words she had memorized telling where the army was to march.

When she had finished, Radagast shook his head, "The marshlands to the northwest...those called the Wetwang or the Nindalf... A strange and lonely place, one where the enemy could indeed hide and then swoop down unnoticed on those who live in Minas Tirith." He shook his head and thought, wondering what could be done to warn the King and, even more, to save the Entwives dwelling near the Sea of Rhun."

It was Lingalad who cocked his head sidewise listening to the sounds of the forest and hearing noises that somehow seemed out of place for a quiet, sunny morning. He looked up suddenly, his eyes full of alarm.

[ October 08, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 10-08-2003, 06:36 AM   #116
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

LinGalad met Mattius' eyes, and Mattius listened, and his eyes hardened; Endereth and Calentoliel listened, and both quietly checked their weapons.

LinGalad wondered how they could remain quite so relaxed. From the sounds, he guessed that they were outnumbered. He readied his bow, breathing deeply to steady his shaking hands, and placed an arrow on the string, wondering how they would protect the wounded Entwife. She would be a formidable opponent if she was healthy, but to LinGalad she seemed wounded and weak. He glanced at Mattius again. "How shall we array ourselves?"

"What is it?" asked Avery.

"Warriors approach us, " he replied with a fairly steady voice. He suddenly wished he had worked harder at weapons practice. His heretofore placid and secure life suddenly seemed very fragile indeed.

[ October 08, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 10-09-2003, 03:08 PM   #117
DayVampyre
Wight

The Eye

Avery tried to squint out the darkness, trying to see the hidden foes, but it was useless. Only elves would be able to see the warriors that were inching closer and closer to their camp.

Avery wondered if they should dampen out the fire. Maybe it would help hide them from the warriors. She drew out her sword. Her dreams were rapidly coming back to her.

She looked over to Kalir, was he frightened, frightened like she was? She couldn't tell. She shook her head trying to get a grip on her fears and shake away the terror that was climbling up her throat and choking her.

She knew how to fight. She had grown up learning different ways for different situations and now was no time to begin shirking away. Besides, up until now, she had pretty much fought alone, there were others by her side now.
Old 10-12-2003, 03:02 AM   #118
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

The small group waited silently as the noises came closer.

LinGalad readied his bow, his hands shaking, as Avery and Kalir both exchanged nervous glances. Anarya drew her sword and prepared herself as she gazed ahead uneasily. Ajada simply stood there, her eyes staring widely in the direction the noises were coming from.

Calentoliel felt oddly serene. It was strange she felt this way, when the others seemed so nervous. She glanced over at Endereth, Mattius, and Radagast, surprised to find the same expressions. Calentoliel wondered if perhaps this was because of their previous experiences together, after all, compared to the Black Beast, an encounter with a few Easterlings would be nothing. The four of them had survived so much together, and now they had the support of five more. Six, if they were to include Peachblossom. Yet, if their battle were to be so simple, why did Calentoliel sense that Death had already cast its shadow upon the group? And why did this feeling not bring fear into her heart?

Between the thick branches of trees, the first of the Easterlings could be seen. The first arrow was shot, whizzing past Mattius's head and into a tree. It wasn't until when the second arrow was fired that Calentoliel drew her sword.
Old 10-12-2003, 07:34 AM   #119
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Over twenty soldiers had accompanied Azunal that morning, making their way through the forest to the edge of the encampment. The trail of sap and crushed vegetation had been easy to follow, clearly exposing the path on which Peachblossom had made her attempted escape. The Easterlings now surrounded the camp and were drawing their circle ever closer, with bows and swords raised in preparation for the attack.

Azunal cursed the ill luck that had let the Entwife slip out from her make-shift cell during the night. Saelonia, who'd found the Entwife's trailor open and deserted earlier that morning, had ragged on him without mercy, swearing that he would hang if his men did not manage to retrieve the prisoner. He had little doubt that this threat was serious, for it was rumored that she had tricked the Khan with her schemings and had his ear in many things so that she could command him at her will.

Still, he had faith in the men who now stood beside him near the grove as he gave the signal for them to loosen their arrrows and march forward. Altair, the Khan's young son, had insisted on taking part in the expedition. And however sulky or arrogant the youngster might be, he had his father's heart in matters such as these and fought like an unchained beast. Azunal peered over towards Navru who now sprinted forward on the offensive, leading his men into the fray. There were few who could match his devotion to the corps or his skill in wielding the great curved blade.

No, all women be cursed, especially ones like Saelonia who were bright and conniving! By all the powers of darkness, he would not hang. He had faith in these soldiers and their assault. It would take only a few moments to strike down the poor wretches at this miserable campsite, and drag Peachblossom back to captivity.

In any event, Saelonia was being ridiculous. What harm could Peachblossom possibly do to them, even loose and stumbling around the forest? She knew and understood nothing of military plans but was like a child with limited intelligence, capable of being led. He grinned at the thought. A great, stupid child who would be recaptured and returned to her cell and punished for her willful rebellion. He turned his attention to the assault at hand, confident that this would be the first of many in which his men would prevail. He unsheathed his curved blade and sprang forward into the fray, intent on crushing those who dared to defy the Khan.

[ October 14, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 10-12-2003, 12:43 PM   #120
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Kalir saw the arrow. He muttered a curse under his breath as he saw the Easterlings approach. He had been hoping he would not encounter any real battling on this trip. Fighting was certainly not a strong point of his. He drew his father's sword and looked at the approaching men. They were dark. Kalir had never come across men that looked as these men. They looked cruel too. A shiver went up Kalir's spine as they approached. The others were all getting ready for battle too.

Kalir quickly counted the men that approached while trying to keep an eye on the arrows. There were at least twenty men there. And who knew if there were more in the trees. Kalir cursed again and prepared for battle. The groups clashed.

Navru saw the group through the trees.

"It is the group we search for," he said quietly. The other members of the group gave him a hard look. They had been traveling for a good while, and many of them were footsore. They were all cursing the tree of course, as it led them into this. None of them really wanted to bring it back.

Navru gestured to the men. He ordered the few archers he had with him to prepare arrows. The main group pushed forward. At what he thought to be the right moment, Navru gestured to the archers. They fired and the group moved quickly towards the company. He saw the men, odd looking men they were, prepare for battle. The two groups clashed...

[ October 23, 2003: Message edited by: VanimaEdhel ]