The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-26-2002, 09:04 PM   #1
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Sting The songs of Lord of the Rings and tunes that fit them...

Hi ya'll!

I imagine there's hardly a soul here that hasn't read the books. I just love the music and poetry in the books. Tolkien was a master of songs and peotry.

Some of the songs, I've noticed, can fit some tunes, or similar tunes of today. For instance, the song of Nimrodel in Lorien. I can just hear Legolas singing that with his voice (almost sounding like Steve Green...) singing the song of Nimrodel. Go back and read it, you'll find the words fit the tune of <drumroll> It Came Upon A Midnight Clear! Read it! Go ahead! The song Galadriel sings at the farewell banquet fits the tune too.

And then there's the troll song. (Sam sings it right before the Flight to the Ford) It rings in my mind to the tune (which I've only heard advertised on commercials for nostalgic music CDs) could go with that song and beat of "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" but with Johnny Cash singing. :-)

And then there's the song 'ol Frodo sang at The Prancing Pony that sounds extremely like an old nursury rhyme I knew once...:-)
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 03:01 PM   #2
Galorme
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galorme has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

On the theme of music but slightly different I was wondering if there has ever been a record of a composer attempting to compose a piece to the description of the Ainulindalë, The Music of the Ainur. Just image the growing clamor and harmony of the Ainur singing together for the first time, and the slow destruction of this harmony by Melkor. I don’t know if it is possible to create a tune that harmonies with a loud tune as the Second Theme of Eru does, but i would love to know if anyone has tried (or would like to try).
Old 07-27-2002, 08:16 PM   #3
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Yes, I can safely say there has been an attempt, though not deliberatly in reference to Lord of the Rings.

Ever heard the tune for The Prince of Egypt when Moses meets God? I call that Holy Wailing, but others call it sacred sounding choir vocals, or awesome-sounding God song. But it's amazing. It's really a sacred-sounding choir, and if you haven't heard it, try buying the soundtrack (or renting it if you don't own a money tree :-)) and listening to track 8. It'll blow your socks off.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Old 07-27-2002, 10:13 PM   #4
janekeeler

Silmaril

I have a record of original music composed, arranged and performed by Bo Hansson entitled "Music Inspired By Lord of the Rings" - it contains a trach inspired by just about each chapter. I haven't listened to it in a few years (the record player having spun its last a while back), but from what I remember, Hansson did an excellent job captivating the essence of the mood of each chapter. Of course, this is all his original work, not a rendering of Tolkien's songs.
Old 07-28-2002, 12:54 AM   #5
Brionna
Pile O'Bones

Brionna has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

More music inspired by LOTR...

Check out a group called "Nickel Creek." They are a folk/bluegrass/country ensemble- the instruments are violin, mandolin, and acoustic guitar. Really a beautiful sound...

Anyway, on their title debut album they have a song called "In the House of Tom Bombadill." It's an instrumental and it's very pretty. I think their whole sound is very "hobbit-esque." Anyone else listen to NC?

[ July 28, 2002: Message edited by: Brionna ]
Brionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 01:25 AM   #6
Gayalondiel
Wight

Gayalondiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

If you're after the songs themselves, Donald Swann set some of them to music in collaboration with JRRT. There is an album called... ohh help... if no-one posts with the name then i'll post it when i remember... anyway he set songs of LOTR to piano accompaniment. 'Namarie' is particularly good.
You can also get tapes of JRRT hiself reading some of the poems, and he sings 'Namarie' and Sam's troll song. That tape is also really worth a listen, and again i can't remember what its called. but if you can find it, do get it.

~C.S.Lewis
Gayalondiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 06:20 AM   #7
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Brionna, I also have that Nickel Creek CD and enjoy the music very much. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] You'll find a bit more information on this thread.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 09:10 PM   #8
Anna Licumo
Haunting Spirit

Anna Licumo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Anna Licumo
Sting

Is it just me, or does Toccata in D Minor seem like perfect "orc hunting" music? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-28-2002, 09:27 PM   #9
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nevfeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Uhhh. . . if you say so. . . [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Nevfeniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 05:47 AM   #10
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I have a copy of 'Misty Mountain Hop' by Led Zeppelin. It really doesn't remind me of Middle Earth at all but still...

Led Zep have quite a lot of LotR references such as 'Gollum, the evil one' stealing his girl in 'the land of Mordor' [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

None of these really set the mood of Middle Earth but a friend of mine is adamant that 'Stairway to Heaven' was written for LotR.
Old 07-29-2002, 01:16 PM   #11
Anna Licumo
Haunting Spirit

Anna Licumo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Anna Licumo
Sting

Quote:
Uhhh.... If you say so...
I also think the Star Wars theme is almost identical to "Mars," and that "Cristofori's Dream" is perfect for the Elves when they must leave ME: Angelic, sweet, and terribly sad, so I may just be clinicly insane. Oh, and "Canon" is really good for Orc music too. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Edit: I just thought I'd want to add that Canon thing is a joke. Unless Orcs are pretty Baroque-ish.
[img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ July 29, 2002: Message edited by: Anna Licumo ]
Old 07-29-2002, 07:10 PM   #12
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Quote:
Hi ya'll!
Knight, are you, perchance, from Texas? [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] If so, I welcome a fellow Texan, if not, I welcome a fellow Christian! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I love Nickel Creek's "House of Tom Bombadil", and yes, it does sound like they all just tumbled out of a hoe-down in the Shire. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Gayalondiel, I've been looking everywhere for that tape/record/CD of Tolkien reading in Elvish! Can you remember the name or where can I find it/download it?
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 08:12 PM   #13
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Well, I'm not exactly what you'd call a genuine Texan. I'm the next best thing (in my mind) But I like Texas (aside from all those tornadoes ya'll get down there) and the people from there (ala George Dubya Bush) and I wear a cowboy hat down to our horse barn. So I'm a westerner at heart!

Glad to see a lot of Christians on here too. That's very nice to see.
Old 09-05-2002, 10:38 PM   #14
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

A long time ago, somebody posted that they were using hymn tunes to sing LOTR songs. I searched for "tunes" and didn't find that post. But I've been trying it with celtic tunes. Has anyone else tried to match Tolkien's poetry with celtic tunes? Here's what I came up with at first shot:

I sit beside the fire and think// Annie Laurie, or, Broom o' the Cowdenknowes

The Road goes ever on and on// Dark Island, or, The Water Is Wide (Waly Waly)

Sing Hey! For the Bath at close of day// Summer Days and Heather Bells, or, Lassie wi' the yellow coatie

Luthien (The leaves were long the grass was green) // The Lea Rig (Really works well!)

Nimrodel (An elven maid there was of old)// Jock o' Hazeldean (works very well [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] can also use "O My Luve is like a red red rose"
Old 09-06-2002, 01:51 AM   #15
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Anna, you now have me trying to visualize orcs moving to Pachelbel's Canon - very funny!! But you know, as far as orcs are concerned - if they ain't Baroque, don't fix 'em! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 04:52 AM   #16
Tirned Tinnu
Wight

Tirned Tinnu has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

I too, have heard Bo Hansson's work, and for a long time it was the only Tolkien-related music around, besides Zep.
I liked the tune sung in the BBC LOTR, the one sung by Sam for the Gil-Galad song? That tends to fit almost all of Tolkien's carefully moded poems.
Lays are hard to chant an sing when they are long. I know, I've tried getting thru all of Brigid O'malley in both English and Irish at a campfire. I found that intermixing the original language with the English translation captured the audience's attention despite the need for continual key changes to keep the tone flowing.
I am interested in why some "songs" were called chants, and after being introduced to chant in Buddistic tradition, I see the need for it. Yes, chant can be sung, but when it's learned like a prayer, sometimes chant (like Shakespeare's sonnets) can sound more alive if spoken and not sung.
For the music of The Ainur, I suggest that you try Handel's The Planets.

[ September 06, 2002: Message edited by: Tirned Tinnu ]
Old 09-20-2002, 06:59 AM   #17
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hmmmm, I read some of the song lyrics in the books, and then spend serious time coming up with simple, yet melodic tunes that fit the meter of the words. I find it to be great fun, but I better start recording then as the perfect tunes so carefully worked out are easily forgotten! (Thanks for the link Mark.) I would like to hear JRR Tolkien actually reading and singing, if you can remember the name, Gayalondiel!
Old 09-20-2002, 09:05 AM   #18
Selmo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Selmo has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Tirned Tinnu,
I, too, liked some of the songs from the BBC radio version, especialy Sam's "Gilgalad". I also like the tune for "The Road goes ever on" used in the film, sung by Gandalf.

In one of his letters, Tolkien said that the Troll song was written to fit the music of an american folk song, "The Fox" (The fox whent out on a winter's night/Prayed for the moon to give him light..). I think that's the only one for which he mentions a particular tune.

[ September 20, 2002: Message edited by: Selmo ]
Selmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 09:16 AM   #19
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

There are two cds I listen to when I read LotR aside from the movie soundtrack (In fact, it seems that almost each book I own has its own listening cd). One of them, is Celtic Graces, and the other one is a Yanni cd (too lazy to go to my own room and look for the title).

I haven't been thinking about putting old tunes to the poems, but I'll try them with the tunes in Celtic Graces.

Thanks to Knight for starting this thread. I am goinig to go on a cd shopping spree and try to look for every artist in this thread.

So to Knight of Gondor, I welcome thee, another music enthusiast as well as another fellow Christian! Mae Govannen!
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 08:32 PM   #20
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

You welcome! And I still think the song of Nimrodel would sound better to the tune of It Came Upon a Midnight Clear, as would the song Galadriel sang as the Fellowship departed...go back and read it to yourself as you sing!
Old 09-28-2002, 02:38 AM   #21
Alatariel
Wight

Alatariel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It Came Upon a Midnight Clear?! That's exactly the tune I thought would fit to Bilbo's song, "I sit beside the fire and think," if you group the verses in twos!
Odd...
Old 09-28-2002, 03:28 AM   #22
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Yeah, but "It came upn a midnight clear" is just so... Christmassy. I totally love it, don't get me wrong; it's one of my favorites, and I collect Christmas Carols. But I can't bring myself to put Tolkien's poems to Christmas carol tunes. Maybe because I like the carols for themselves, so much.
Old 09-28-2002, 07:10 PM   #23
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

If duh tune doth fit, you must use it! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-28-2002, 08:39 PM   #24
Taure Leafsilver
Wight

Taure Leafsilver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Taure Leafsilver
Sting

Quote:
"the Fox....
OMG!!! I remember singing that song in kindergartin!!!
Old 11-23-2002, 10:27 PM   #25
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Sting

Someone brought up the matter of Led Zeppelin, and Stairway to heaven was written with LotR referance, several of them. Along with Occult referances and others. There is a stanza in that song that goes:

There's a feeling I get
When I look to the west
And my spirit is crying for leaving
In my thoughts I have seen
Rings of smoke through the trees
And the voices of those who stand looking

I've never seen this one pointed out exactly. Does anyone else see that?
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 09:29 PM   #26
elfling
Haunting Spirit

elfling has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have thought that maybe stairway to Heaven is somehow inspired by LoTR but I'm not sure it has that quaility, though. Have any of you gotten or heard the Tolkien Ensemble's Night nad Eening in Rivendale it has alot of great poems and songs from the book put to music. Some of it is rally good. I've also heard The Starlit jewel is good but I'm having trouble finding a copy.
Old 11-25-2002, 01:00 AM   #27
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

There's an old French Christmas carol that fits nicely to "The Road Goes Ever On and On". I never can remember the words, I can only whistle it. But here's the MIDI and the English translation: Il est né le divin Enfant

It's also good for "I Sit Beside the Fire and Think".

Oh, and "The Fox" does fit "Old Troll" well! Especially since they're both very blood-thirsty lyrics:

"...and the little ones chewed on the bones-O!" [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

P.S. - Here's the lyrics and MIDI for The Fox. (The MIDI link is at the bottom of the page, below the lyrics.)

[ November 25, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 12:15 PM   #28
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Greensleeves works nicely for the shorter songs as long as you don't think of it as a Christmas tune.
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 02:44 PM   #29
LePetitChoux
Vegetable of Doom

LePetitChoux has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to LePetitChoux
Ring

I was just going to say greensleeves! But it works for most songs in LotR, not just short ones (believe me, I've tried [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] )
Old 11-25-2002, 10:09 PM   #30
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

I love it when old posts get ressurected!