The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-24-2002, 05:29 PM   #41
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

Quote:
Like, does anyone recall when the Three Hunters reach Fangorn, Legolas is like, (paraphrasing) "Cool!" and Gimli replies, "Well, you're an Elf, and Elves are freaks, so of course you would like that." And then when they see the Glittering Caves, Gimli is all, "Whoa! Pretty!" and Legolas answers, "Well, you're a Dwarf, and Dwarves are freaks about that sort of thing." I thought that was so cool!!
LOL, Yes Lanniae, I loved taht part too! And I loved your paraphrasing skills, that was a kick!
Old 06-05-2002, 02:11 PM   #42
Lanniae of the Axe
Haunting Spirit

Lanniae of the Axe has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Hey, thanx Raefindel, I just have these weird dreams all the tiem where LOTR characters will talk to me and say stuff like "groovy" or "cool" or "tight" and I jsut can't get them out of my head!!!

7th Age--I think the only reasons Gimli went over the sea are his love of both Legolas and Galadriel! So I doubt she'd be TOO surprised!! I jsut hope he set her hair in crystal like he said! Watch he sticks it on a ring and asks for her hand in marriage! HOW CUTE!

Lindolirian, hey, you learned the runes too?? Cool, huh? Only problem is I read LOTR AFTER 5th grade! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] See there are two parts of my life. BT (Before Tolkien) and AR (After Rings)! But yeah, we actually did get a note taken away form us while writing in runes and the teacher was upset he couldn't read it so he tried to cover it up by getting all mad at us. Hah. Stupid teacher.

Joy! I've never made a website or anything before, but a tribute to my bro Gimli would be a cool place to start! if you're willing to help me take this on, my email is mailto:lanniaetheaxe@yahoo.comlanniaetheaxe@yahoo.com</A> so talk to me! Anyone else who wants to help us w/ some sort of Gimli fan website, same thing! Talke to me!

Aosama!!! The diaries!!! I'm normally against LOTR slash but those were jsut TOO FUNNY! Me and my sister scrawl "Still not King" and "Pointy Hat Trickster" all over our sidewalk in chalk and try to avoid telling out parents what they mean!!!! I was immediately angry that there was no Pervy Dwarf Fancying, and wanted one! Either that, or they should've jsut stuck with Hobbit Fancying, no?? I want one with something about the Horn of Gondor, since Boromir's 1st. (actually 2nd. Frodo is first. He jsut HAS to be. Then Boromir then Gimli then Aragorn and then Eowyn and...forget it.)

Palantir great. Better than cable.

OMG! Greyhavener!!! I was SO totally thinking the same thing!! About the name, I mean. Your cousin is VERY cool!!! Durin!!! Eeep! I realise that it's gonna be a while before I have kids, but Dain, Eowyn, Eomer, and maybe like Samwise and Merry (for a girl) will be top choices when the time comes!!
(I also love caves, too!! Ever been to Carlsbad Caverns?)

Saxony, if this gimlisonofgloin.com ever comes around YOU'LL KNOW ABOUT IT! I promise! Wanna help?? [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] And you got Bory on your destop?? Cool! I got a TTT poster thing, and that lordoftherings.net screen saver too!! Way too much fun I have!

Anyways, wow, another reeeealy long post. ack. I'm gonna go hide in my cave--er, bedroom--and fondle some gems--er, jewelry. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

--Lanniae
Old 06-05-2002, 02:13 PM   #43
Lanniae of the Axe
Haunting Spirit

Tolkien

Just realised I put up my email for everyone to see. If anyone starts stalking me, I will get angry. Gimli will get angry, too, and he won't like decapitating his fans!
Old 06-05-2002, 06:04 PM   #44
Saxony Tarn
Wight

Saxony Tarn has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saxony Tarn
Sting

Lanniae -- tell ya what, the cast from "Trust Me" (the fanfic i'm working on, over 90 pages now, and reasonably close to being done and soon to be posted here) will more than gladly fly over on their dragonhorse to protect you from anyone filling your e-mailbox with questionable spam. Including the Dynamic Orc-Busting Duo of Bean and Jones as Boromir and Skheel the half-Orc.

No, seriously -- you'll be hearing from me. Because Dwarves are cool, and i need some input on Náin Ralorsson, so i figure a Dwarven aficionado site is a motherlode.

s.t.

|_|) <-- inaugural drink!

BTW -- aren't the VSD a scream? Can't wait until she finishes Aragorn's final entry "It's good to be the King!"
Old 06-05-2002, 06:28 PM   #45
GreatWarg
Shade of Carn Dûm

GreatWarg has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Hmmm... they do need an axe icon there. I always do the istari one though. Personally, Legless isn't my fav Elf. My fav seems quite out of the way, even if he is important in a way. That right, I'm thinking Elrond. Well, as you can say, Gimli is very cool, and can kick Orc butt! True, legolas probably wouldn't be expected to actually be able to lift an axe.
Old 06-05-2002, 08:36 PM   #46
Gimli Son Of Gloin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gimli Son Of Gloin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I am going to read this thread very carefully and do a little character rating... Just hope you didn't insult me [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-15-2002, 02:06 PM   #47
Gimli Son Of Gloin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gimli Son Of Gloin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I rated a couple of you. I am happy to announce that no one recieved a rating less than a 5 [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 06-16-2002, 02:53 PM   #48
GreatWarg
Shade of Carn Dûm

GreatWarg has just left Hobbiton.
Question

You didn't rate my Gimli son of Gloin! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] Ah well, o, and Legolas can also be used as Legal-Azz. Hehe, don't do anything to me Barrow-Wight! Gimli, rock on!

The most touching part of the books is most definitely the friendship between Legolas and Gimli. At first, they used to fight, but since Celeborn accidentaly 'insulted' Dwarves, then Legolas became friends. They'd better touch that int he movie. They kinda did, witht he boats and they're supposed to be riding the same horse in TTT (I know cuz i heard Orli broke a rib when he and Gimli both fell off of the horse and Gimli landed on top of him... HAHA LEGLESS!) but I doubt that they truly explain the intimate moments in their friendship.
Old 06-20-2002, 05:18 AM   #49
Lady_Báin
Wight

Lady_Báin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

ahhhhhh my people!!!! my dwarf name is báin [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]!!(can't remember if it's the first or last name) John Rhys-Davies was completely great in fotr (though the writers could have used a talking to). Does anyone know in which books i can find the most information about dwarf cuture?

On another note... last monday i was at a viking festival and it was sooooo cool I saw smithing (the balck-smith was short and stocky, was dare-i-say-it, Dwarf-like?), archery, combating and every craft you can think of. As well as sword-making but they were 600$ a piece [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] It was so much fun!!

JOY- i don't know if i could help but if i can let me know!!

P.S. I own an axe!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ June 20, 2002: Message edited by: Lady_Báin ]
Old 06-20-2002, 11:11 PM   #50
Feadolena Nolfare
Pile O'Bones

Feadolena Nolfare has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

wheee! dwarves are cool :0) I think they really add depth to the whole Middle-Earth scene... can you imagine m-e withough dwarves? *dies*
I especially like that they are sons of Aule instead of Iluvatar, they just have the coolest history [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Another grossly overlooked group are the Druedain, who are perhaps my favouritest M-E people of all [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
I would be glad to devote a sub-section of my site to a Dwarven Fanlisting, I already have an Elves of the Silmarillion fanlisting there. 'Twould be no problem, so if you email me at sphinxii@hotmail.com I can get it set up, given a few hours [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I would create a separate account for the new fanlisting, but sadly my server is not accepting any more people. OH well, I have bandwith to spare [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Pleeeeze email me if you think there should be a dwarf fanlisting. I'll also look to see if there are existing ones.
Oh my, Fëa is feeling overly industrious today!! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Feadolena Nolfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 12:56 AM   #51
Artilien
Pile O'Bones

Artilien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Artilien
I like dwarves very much. ang gimli is my favourite character in LotR. i like other races too but i think dwarves are the best
Old 05-18-2003, 06:14 PM   #52
polices
Animated Skeleton

polices has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to polices Send a message via AIM to polices
The Eye

I have always likede Gimli and I say that so shod anyone in there right minds. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
polices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 06:22 PM   #53
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

Sorry to break through the general wave of Gimli fans, and please don't murder me or rate me a one for this, but I really didn't like Gimli in TTT. In FotR I suppose he was alright, but I disliked the way PJ dumped him into a comic relief role. In the books I didn't give him much thought either, except for the part with Galadriel, and the one sentence when he went off to the West. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I see stalkers... [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

~Menelien
Old 05-18-2003, 06:58 PM   #54
polices
Animated Skeleton

The Eye

[img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] I don't mean anything bad by saying this, but I do speak for all of the Gimli fans out there... DEATH TO YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!DEATH TO YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 05-18-2003, 08:02 PM   #55
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Himaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Himaran
Sting

Ah.... but we are not debating Gimli's role in the movies, but in the books. Yeah, PJ kinda messed him up a bit - but:

WHO CARES!!! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

ROCK ON GIMLI!! GO DWARVES!!!!

Himaran
Himaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 08:09 PM   #56
polices
Animated Skeleton

The Eye

I completely agree with you Himaran, I don't care if PJ messed up. I guess it can not be forgiving... DEATH TO PJ TO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 05-19-2003, 08:16 AM   #57
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gimli is a god.
Old 05-19-2003, 09:00 AM   #58
Balin999
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Balin999 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Balin999
Sting

As you can see by looking at my nickname I've always been a fan of the dwarfs, especially Balin and Gimli.
Until I saw the movie I was always thinking of Gimli as being tough, raw, but a really cool guy who doesn't whine around when he has split a fingernail and who is as loyal as you could wish for.
But then the movie came out, and I was very disappointed (as I have already complained about at the thread "Doing! And the "perfect idiot" award goes to...") in the movies forum.
I really didn't like the fact that they were making such a silly dumba** out of gimli just for the fun of the people who have not read the books.
So, the creators have created a picture of dwarves among the people who have seen the movies that simply isn't right.
Personally, I will always stick to the book and will think of the dwarves in a very positive way.

[ May 19, 2003: Message edited by: Balin999 ]

...The opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, but conformity...

...Everything is possible, except to ski through a revolving door...
Balin999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 09:41 AM   #59
One Axe to Rule them All
Wight

One Axe to Rule them All has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sorry i'm late for the party.
i decided to take a leave of absence for a week or two...

so now i'm back. now i've got a bit of controversey now, because in gimlisonofgloin's absence, i was very happily portraying gimli at the downies, though i wasn't there for long.
so now we ask, who is the true king under the mountain?

i'm sure popular opinion will vote for
Gimli son of gloin, but i like being gimli!
Old 05-19-2003, 04:43 PM   #60
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

Quote:
I don't mean anything bad by saying this, but I do speak for all of the Gimli fans out there... DEATH TO YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!DEATH TO YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well, as long as you don't mean anything bad by saying it... [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Well, for his role in the movies, PJ can't help changing everybody's ideas. I mean, who knows, maybe out in the world somewhere there are one or two people who saw LotR exactly as PJ did. That would already make it almost worth the making. And Gimli in the books- well, I just never thought much about him except, as I said before, in Lorien and in the Lorien boats, and when he leaves for the Sea.

~Menelien
Old 05-23-2003, 05:08 PM   #61
Lanniae of the Axe
Haunting Spirit

Tolkien

Phew, have *I* been gone for a million ages of Middle-earth! So, what have I missed? Who's the new King Under the Mountain? Who's the new Dark Lord? What old fortresses have been rebuilt?

Haha... Just kidding. I've been off doing things for school, finals and such. Worked my butt off and became a Thespian, woo! yeah, so, though it's not a good one, I *do* have an excuse for now writing so long!

Anyways, so about that Gimli fansite, I think I might be able to produce one...but it's still in the works. you guys will be the first to know about it!

Sax- you changed your pic! I love it! Haha! I got one, too LOL!

GreatWarg- I always thought Elrond was everyone's favorite elf (well, barring the squealing teenage fangirls who think Legolas will marry them). He is mine, always has been. I seriously never even liked Elves, but Elrond is so different...maybe it's a half-elf thing. I dunno. He's just about the only elf (in the books, mind, not the movies) that isn't a racist pig! ...And actually, I meant the "Legless" comment to be -INTERRUPTION YOUNG PEOPLE SKIP THIS COMMENT- a kind of insult to his lack of *ahem* manliness. Ya know, the whole... third leg thing...and "Legless"... Yeah, so I'm perverted... :P

Gimli Son of Gloin- did you rate *me* for starting this whole affair?? *bats eyes* LOL just kidding!

Lady Bain- of course Davies is an awesome actor...for what they gave him to work with...OMG and if they make ROTK to be as LOUSY and DISAPOINTING as TTT was...well, I already considered throwing myself off a cliff--this time I'll catually do it! Who's with me!! Gimli as comic relief, indeed! *indignant snort* ...Ooh! And Bain, you own an axe? How cool! Can you send me a pic? I, sadly, am "not old enough" to own one, father says... *pout*

Feadolena- hm...Druedain? I know I'll kick myself when i find out, but could you tell me exactly who they are? And I definately think there should be a Dwarf fanlisting anywhere you can put one! I'll try to email you about it!

Polices- Um, well, hey, don't get *too* mad at Galadriel of the Olden! poor thing! She's entitled to her opinion, of course...not so much in some threads as in others, per se... LOL.

Galadriel- Although I can't personally imagine how anyone can't love Gimli, I do agree with you that Gimli sucked in TTT for the most part. Sure, they gave him more of a personality--one that was ALL WRONG! The sacreliege! The blasphemy! Ah, well. At least they'll probably go to Hell for it!

Himaran- thanks for breaking up the ...fight? during my absence! if I had been here it would have been...crazy. Lots of yelling. (thru a computer?) Yeah. Something. Anyway, kudos. Cuz I always feel bad when people disagree on threads that I start. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

And Polices, I must say I love your spirit. PJ every shows his bearded-hobbitted face anywhere within my axe's reach... How 'bout I hold, and you punch?

Balin999- thanks for starting a conversation I was gonna begin anyway... that PJ screwed up Gimli? Um.. Yeah, see above paragraph, you're invited to help out, too! I don't think that the people who havent' read LOTR shoudl be rewarded with all that comic releif like that. TTT is SUPPOSED to be depressing! And, if nothing else, Gimli shoudl NOT be the one to lighten it up!

Whoa, One Axe To Rule Them All, I dig your nickname! Woo! And since I know both of you equally, you're BOTH Kings Under the Mountain! Some sort of Biocracy? Hm...

Galadriel- anyone who saw the movie as PJ did has got to be sick in the head. Seriously. He did pretty okay, but...mm...no way is he THAT good. Arg. Anger! Not at you, dear, but at PJ. I hope he doesn't have any children...I hate making orphans.... Fingers axe* [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

much love, sorry 'bout the long post, and thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread! Esp. Galadriel of the Olden, we need some variety of opinion, even if its a contradicting one!

--Lanniae of the Axe
Old 05-25-2003, 02:47 PM   #62
polices
Animated Skeleton

The Eye

I would through myself of a cliff three times if PJ screws up in the ROTK as much as he did in TTT. [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 05-25-2003, 04:40 PM   #63
Leona
Animated Skeleton

Leona has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I seriously always thought the elves were over-rated. I mean it's great and everything to have the history in there, but why does it all have to center around elves and men? Aren't dwarves important?

I've never been particularly fond of Gimili, or any of the dwarves for that matter, but I think if I could have more information on them I might enjoy reading about them more.

I totally agree with you guys about the fact that Gimli should not have been portrayed the way he was in TTT, but you really have to look at it from the point of view of a director. I know the book is supposed to be sad and serious, but someone who has not read the book, is not going to sit through three hours of saddness and dispare. PJ needed someone to lighten up the situation, and give it a liittle more apeal. Now that I'm thinking of it, especially for younger audiences. But what I wonder, is why couldn't Legolas have done that? I mean, Aragorn just wouldn't work, but why not Legolas? As far as I can tell his only job is to warn the fellowship of danger, and shot it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not all for out with the elves and in with teh dwarves, but I think it might have been nice if the spotlight could have been shared a little more equally.
Old 05-25-2003, 04:41 PM   #64
Leona
Animated Skeleton

Eye

Quick note: Ignore the picture, it was late.
Old 05-25-2003, 06:10 PM   #65
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Quote:
Galadriel- Although I can't personally imagine how anyone can't love Gimli, I do agree with you that Gimli sucked in TTT for the most part. Sure, they gave him more of a personality--one that was ALL WRONG! The sacreliege! The blasphemy! Ah, well. At least they'll probably go to Hell for it!
Well, maybe if the role had been better, I would have liked him more... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] By the way, I love the name of the thread. Funny [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Quote:
Galadriel- anyone who saw the movie as PJ did has got to be sick in the head. Seriously. He did pretty okay, but...mm...no way is he THAT good. Arg. Anger! Not at you, dear, but at PJ. I hope he doesn't have any children...I hate making orphans.... Fingers axe*
Lol, yes, he has children [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] I understand your homocidal impulses *nervously shoves a few bodies in the closet*, but really, his kids are really cute... they're some of the hobbit kids in FotR, and some of the Helm's Deep kids in TTT [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Quote:
I seriously always thought the elves were over-rated. I mean it's great and everything to have the history in there, but why does it all have to center around elves and men? Aren't dwarves important?
Of course. But the money part of it plays a big role too, and I doubt that there are many Gimli-boppers out there [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] I love Elves, but not love like Lego-luv, or any of them at all. It's just the whole idea of that race that seems great to me, and I can't say I mind dwarves, I just don't like them much.

~Menelien
Old 05-26-2003, 06:01 PM   #66
Lanniae of the Axe
Haunting Spirit

Tolkien

Quote:
I would through myself of a cliff three times if PJ screws up in the ROTK as much as he did in TTT.
I agree! I would do the same! ...After I made a few orphans...

Quote:
I've never been particularly fond of Gimili, or any of the dwarves for that matter, but I think if I could have more information on them I might enjoy reading about them more.
Well, how much have you read, Leona dear? I mean, not to sound rude, I didn't mean it that way, but it's just you have to be LOOKING for stuff. In the case of the Dwarves, you have to be interested in them and THEN go looking for stuff about them. The word "dwarf" has to catch your eye. The Appendicies at the back of ROTK have some great info on the History of the Dwarves. Really cool. Dwarves were very noble and valiant, their quirks being a touchy pride and a tendancy towards greed, but, heck, our GIMLI never showed much of that! Woo! Of course, he is touchy, but who wouldn't be if people pulled your beard and made wise-cracks about your height!

Quote:
...but you really have to look at it from the point of view of a director. I know the book is supposed to be sad and serious, but someone who has not read the book, is not going to sit through three hours of saddness and dispare.
It is PJ's obligation as a director to NOT screw it up! At least, it should be. If a director goes into a project like this TRYING to make money and not really caring about how it will make all the Tolkienites feel, he shouldn't be the one doing it, he's just lowering himself down with all the other Hollywood losers. If people don't want to/can't sit through three hours of *sadness and *despair, they SHOULDN'T BE CALLING THEMSELVES TOLKIEN FANS! Those people should try READING that much of sadness and despair! Most of 'em are just illeterate bastards who need a good book report and Harry Potter isn't old enough for them.

Guess what? I MADE my 6th-grade little sister read ALL of the books before I took her to see FOTR! Cruel? No! That's the way it should be! (I coudl have made her read Unfinished Tales as well, so she gets the Isildur background as well, but THAT probably would have been cruel)

At the very least, if PJ had been true to the books, you wouldn't have to many untrue Tolkien fans prowling the internet! (i.e. Lego-teenie-bopper-fans)

And Leona, I agree that the comic relief could have gone to someone else. Of course, if PJ KNEW anything, he would have taken the TRUE comic relief characters, Merry and Pippin, and put them in there more! Gimli, on the contrary, is VERY much a serious guy! And anyone who laughs at his slap-stick comedy is a fool. "Oh, narf, let's watch Gimli get flattened by the Wargs! Because that SOOO happened in the book. Narf." [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Enough to make you sick.

Quote:
Well, maybe if the role had been better, I would have liked him more...
Galadriel, just a quick question...what did you mean by that statement exactly? I'm not gonna hound you for it, and I promise I won't let Polices attack you too much, but please explain that a little more. Gimli's movie-character? Book-character?

Quote:
Of course. But the money part of it plays a big role too, and I doubt that there are many Gimli-boppers out there
Hm... have you read through this whole thread? I mean, granted, there aren't millions of us out there, but, well...oh, I dunno. I have a theory, anyways, that TOLKIEN HIMSELF never liked the Dwarves. I know he loved his Elves. Personally, they make me sick a lot. *sigh*

That's why us Gimli Fans are both Proud...

...and Few. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

(That's okay, at least we're ROCKIN', right guys?) [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-26-2003, 08:38 PM   #67
One Axe to Rule them All
Wight

One Axe to Rule them All has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Balin once said-
Quote:
There can only be one King Under The Mountain
but i'll let it slip for now....
Old 05-28-2003, 09:57 PM   #68
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Sting

Just to put in my two cents.

Not all the dwarves are all that cool. For example, Mim, in the Silmarillion. He stole treasure, killed people, and was all around not-very-nice. He got his just desserts later, however.

And just to put in a good word about Thorin. He's allowed to be stubborn and stuck up. He's royalty.

Oh, and about archery. Have any of you any idea how much strength it takes to draw a bow the size of the one Legolas uses? He's probably got a 150-200 pound pull at least, and it's not a compound bow so all the force comes from his arms. I like Gimli, but ease up on Legolas (NOT the Orlando version!!!!!), archery is not as easy as it looks.

Keep standing up for (most) Dwarves, people!

[ May 29, 2003: Message edited by: Tinuviel of Denton ]
Tinuviel of Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 10:13 PM   #69
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Quote:
And just to put in a good word about Thorin. He's allowed to be stubborn and stuck up. He's royalty.
So? [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

~Menelien
Old 05-29-2003, 01:16 AM   #70
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
So, stuck-up-ness and stubbornness are the prerogative of royalty. They're all entitled to it. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Tinuviel of Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 04:27 PM   #71
Lanniae of the Axe
Haunting Spirit

Sting

...I don't think Thorin is stubborn OR stuck-up. Well, okay, maybe a little bit. But I know some of the BEST Elves are more stuck-up and stubborn than many of the WORST Dwarves. Except for Elrond. Who's not racist, unlike all the other Elves...don't get me started about Bastard Lindir... *shudder*

But, hey! This isn't a place to talk about Elves, per se, this is Dwarf-thread! More specifically, Gimli-thread! *claps*

And on the topic of Mim...yeah, so he wasn't the best Dwarf in middle-earth. He combined the touchy pride and geediness of the average Dwarf with his own little touch of cowardice and over-the-top freaking out. Of course, you would freak out at someone, too, if they had KILLED YOUR SON. Mim, I'll say, would be my least favorite Dwarf. But he's a bitter old man with a dead son, give him a break! If some elf (or was he a man? I don't remember--someone help me out)...okay if some ARCHER shot my son, and then kept me from saivng his life, yeah, I'd be bitter and hate the world, too. Especially if all my kin had died prior to that. Now there are vagabonds wanting to take over my home. Wouldn't you be a little nasty, too? Obviously, the Silm. didn't catch Mim's best side. Then, of course, one of the more regal Dwarves probably would have died rather than give up his home, but you know, whatever. He's I guess you'd say one of the "lesser" races of Dwarves, like you got your High Elves and your...um, other Elves (Elves not beign my best subject).

Yeah, enough on the Mim rant.

I still love Gimli! He's still the best!

Oh, yeah, and about the bow-pulling thing? I'm not fully informed about the physics involved in that, and I know it takes a lot of strength to do that... but I still think it takes MUCH more strength to weild an axe. Have you ever gone camping and jsut chopped wood for an hour? You feel it in your shoulders. And your...whatever the muscles are that are in your...oh, never mind. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] Just LIFTING the dang thing takes skill. But bringing it down with warrior priscision... Plus, you got gravity against you lifting an axe. Anyway, that could be just my partial to barbaric weapons...the critical is SO much higher on an axe than on a bow (whups, nerdy RPG geek coming out). [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

So, yeah, there's my opinion on that.

Baruk Kahazad!
--Lanniae the Axe
Old 05-29-2003, 04:40 PM   #72
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Believe me, both bow and axe are difficult. I only shoot out of a kiddie bow myself [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] but I've tried just pulling a normal one and it was difficult... and I'm sure the elf ones were harder to. Axe- well, the swinging is easier than shooting into a mark, but it's slightly harder to get it swinging than to pull a bow, so I guess they're pretty much even. It more or less depends on which muscles are stronger...

Wow, I really didn't know there were this many Gimli fans around. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] And, don't forget, there are plenty of us who really prefer Elves very well but not for any 'hotness' problems in the movies [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

~Menelien
Old 05-29-2003, 04:53 PM   #73
Lanniae of the Axe
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Galadriel- one quick note and we call it a truce. Legolas could probably do 500 pull-ups, Gimli does 500 push-ups. Those are the muscles, more or less. I think. *shrugs* That's all.

Oh, and yes. Gimli fans are everywhere... We are the serial axe-murderers in your alley-ways. We are the hikers in your mountain ranges. We are the spelunkers under your mountains. We are the people who go see Imax films titled "CAVES". We are the jewelry store robbers. We are the biker dudes with forked beards. We are the people wearing shirts that say "Gold Digger", and mean it in different context. We are the people so busy *reading* LOTR we have no time to go to the BDs and...wait, crap. I screwed it up! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Look out behind you! We're always there!

--Lanniae the Axe [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 05-29-2003, 09:32 PM   #74
Leona
Animated Skeleton

Eye

A note on that comic releif thing, actualy, when you go back to look at it, in my opinion at least, Legolas does a lot of the wises cracking. Example: "Do you want me to describe it for you, or would you like me to find you a box" (or something like that). I agree Gimli really shouldn't have done any of the joking at all, but don't you people get how difficult it is to direct a movie? You can't please everyone. Besides, I agree with GaladrienoftheOlden, at least in the sense that there is someone out there who liked the movies just the way they are. I'm not saying I'm one of them, but until you get together and do a LOTR film with live actors, I don't think you have much of a right to complain about the job PJ did.
Old 05-29-2003, 10:21 PM   #75
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Oh, this is going a bit of topic, but I believe we have every right to criticize him, as long as it's constructive criticism. If I just said "I don't like how PJ did Gimli" without giving any reasons, that would just be annoying. We can always keep criticizing, as long as we appreciate that PJ really put how he imagined it into the movie, and despite its shortcomings, it is still amazing. But this doesn't seem like a mayhem topic anymore, if this is what we're discussing...

~Menelien
Old 05-30-2003, 09:39 PM   #76
Lanniae of the Axe
Haunting Spirit

Tolkien

Leona- sure Legolas DOES some of the wise-cracking, but it's all directed AT Gimli. Like Lego is being some sort of cynical bastard and Gimli is some clumsy fool. That's not it at all.

And just because it would make it funny, I STILL dont' think PJ has the right to change it. Oh, I know he has the legal rights and all that... But, well, he says he's a Tolkien fan himself. I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT. You guys are right, much of the movies are good. But then there is a lot that is wrong. I can deal with that. Just cuz I read the books before I was out of gradeschool, and many times after, I guess I'm a stickler about details. I guess I'm old-fashioned. I really think that things should be left the way they are--the original way. (i.e. I *ALWAYS* like the original versions of songs better than the re-makes, or punk covers, or whatever, just because--but that could be just me)

And, though I do not know how hard it really is to direct a movie, I still think that making it so different from the books just so other uncultured pigs (AKA the UnTolkienated AKA People who haven't read LOTR) could understand the complexity of such a marvelous work with thier teenie tiny brains, and so he could help spawn many worthless "fans" of LOTR who really jsut like Legolas and can't even spell John Ronald Reuel Tolkien right IS NO EXCUSE. *huffs and puffs about long speech*

That's basically why I started this thread. I know there's plenty of good Legolas-lovers out there! I know many, and love them to death! But I thought a Gimli-thread would at least be exempt of attracting people like those I mentioned above.

Also, Gimli's just a cool character and I love him! There's no one better than the G-man! Woohoo!

--Lanniae the Axe

PS: Sorry about my above heated rant. Perhaps I will go find an "Anti TTT movie" thread that is still hot... if any of you know of one, please idrect me to it, and we can keep this one on the subject of Gimli. He gets jealous quite easily, see, and hates sharing his threads... [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-30-2003, 09:53 PM   #77
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Quote:
Like Lego is being some sort of cynical bastard and Gimli is some clumsy fool. That's not it at all.
You're right. Though I have an intense liking of cynical bastards, often acting like one myself [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Gimli was a clumsy fool in the movies, and now people who never read the books or only read them after the movies will have that mental image of him stuck there... it shouldn't be that way.

~Menelien
Old 06-01-2003, 07:26 AM   #78
Lanniae of the Axe
Haunting Spirit

Sting

You're right, Menelien. That's NOT how it should be. Then again, we don't want anyone who HASN'T read the books (heck, even some people who read the books AFTER they saw the movies) to even be joining our ranks as Tolkienites anyway, right?

And yes, I'll have to agree that I, too, am often a cynical bastard. Or just a mean one. One of the two... [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Quote:
and now people who never read the books or only read them after the movies will have that mental image of him stuck there
You're right! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] It's all about the image! So even if you DO have people who HAVE read the books, if they read 'em AFTER seeing the movies, they can't POSSIBLY EVER be CONSIDERED Tolkienites because...well, they just can't! They have a warped perception to begin with! Ah! That's SCARY!

OMG! Must go tell ALL my friends to READ THE BOOKS FIRST. I mean, it wasn't like I never let them go about it before, but, well, I'm gonna be more insistant from now on.

Okay, crap, Gimli thread, Gimli thread. *repeat to self* Gimli thread, Gimli thread.

There is only one Gimli son of Gloin, and he does not share his threads!

--Lanniae
Old 08-07-2003, 11:25 PM   #79
polices
Animated Skeleton

The Eye

OK, I'm all cooled down now I don't really have much to say and I am just returning this to the top. BYE! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 03-12-2004, 10:02 PM   #80
Eowyn Skywalker
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eowyn Skywalker has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Eowyn Skywalker
Goody! I've found other Gimli fans...
Jeez, I can't believe that me and a friend are not the only people who write in dwarf runes... I've wrote over fifty pages, actually... we have a binder full of runes.
Gimli rocks! I can't believe that I'm not the only person out there who likes him... hey, I even can imitate him... and not to badly either...
Gimli rocks, and so do runes...
-Eowyn Skywalker
Eowyn Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote