The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-27-2002, 12:06 PM   #1
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

Carlas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Carlas
Sting The Female Fellowship

What do you think would be different if the fellowship were all girls? Names, looks, personalities?
Old 12-27-2002, 12:21 PM   #2
LePetitChoux
Vegetable of Doom

LePetitChoux has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to LePetitChoux
Sting

I'm sure I've seen this before....hmm... [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]
Old 12-27-2002, 01:22 PM   #3
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Take a look at this: Queen of the Rings. Enjoy!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 02:39 PM   #4
Erana
Pile O'Bones

Location: Orlando Land wish u were here.....NO I DON'T ORLANDO IS MINE!!!!!!
Erana has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think that if the fellowship were women it wouldn't have taken so long 2 get into Moria! I mean I was 3 when I saw the cartoons for LOTR and when Gandalf was like "Speak Friend and enter" I was like "Friend, say friend Gandy!" then they waited an waited and lad de da...then he figured it out and said friend in Elvish!
and I was like "Mommy how come Gandalf couldn't figure it out for so long?" heh my mom was like "It was in the script." So here is one of childhood memories of LOTR!
Old 12-27-2002, 04:23 PM   #5
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

They would've stopped and asked for directions if they got lost too probably...

Also, Eomer may have been a wee bit less likely to shoot their heads off if there were three attractive women standing there.

But, when it came to the actual fighting, they'd all be dead within the first battle. I mean, no matter how much of a feminist you are, you have to admit that Men are stronger than women. At the first battle, the Orcs would have taken them down easily.

And, unless it was a female Istar, the Balrog would have defeated them. If the woman was a wizard, then she may have had a chance, but...

It comes down to it that, if they were women, they would be dead within the first battle, but would have never gotten lost...and I think they would have each packed better...well, at least if they were compulsive women like me that made lists any time they went anywhere.

Just decided to post here, as I didn't post on the other thread...
Old 12-28-2002, 10:45 AM   #6
Daewen
Wight

Location: Stuck inside an Aquafina bottle...HELP! ...seriously, I'm getting claustrophobic
Daewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Daewen
Sting

Actually Vanima, I have to disagree with you. Yes, it has been proven that men are biologically stronger than women, but you have to ask yourself, is it their strength or battle skills that got them through? Yes, strength does play role, but women aren't exactly made of toothpicks. I can beat up any guy on my block without getting so much as a scratch...and all the guys are either juniors or seniors in high school. I think that they would have survived through the battles, because women are more agile than men, and the orcs might have been slightly hesitent to go and anhillite a group of women, which would give them a slight headstart in the fighting. Also, just the fact that they are, indeed, women, would have deverted a great deal of suscpicion from them, and they may have had more of a safe route. Also, I think women would have come up with the idea of disguising themselves as orcs or something, so that they could get into Mordor without trouble.

[ December 28, 2002: Message edited by: Daewen ]
Daewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 12:22 PM   #7
hobbitlass
Shade of Carn Dûm

hobbitlass has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I think there would have been alot more fighting about the Ring....I'm wearing it today! No, it looks better with My outfit! Uh-uh girlfriend, it looks stupid on your fat finger....
Old 12-28-2002, 12:31 PM   #8
Aragorn_Protector
Pile O'Bones

Aragorn_Protector has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
They would all be dead after the first battle.
THAT IS SO SO TRUE
Old 03-08-2003, 07:33 PM   #9
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Silmaril

Somehow, I think I could tell who is a girl and who is a boy here... no they would not be dead within the first battle. Well, it matters what women. Whoever said tey could beat up all the boys on their block...well, I don't know any boys on my block, but I have never tried to beat up a boy around my age and not been able to. Some women might have just not been able to fight AND not been smart enough to figure something out, in which case, they'd be dead. Otherwise, however...no such luck. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-08-2003, 09:00 PM   #10
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rynoah, the Overly-Happy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
But, when it came to the actual fighting, they'd all be dead within the first battle. I mean, no matter how much of a feminist you are, you have to admit that Men are stronger than women.
They are, but look at Éowyn. She took out the Witch King (yes, Merry helped, but he's a halfling, not a Man). I think they would have stood a fair chance, at least in the first battle in Moria. Against the Uruk-Hai, I have my doubts.

As for names?

Aragirl
Leggy-lass
Glimmy
Frido
Samantha
Mary
Pippi (as in Pippi Longstockings, yes)
Gondalia
Birramir
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 11:38 PM   #11
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Denethia

Faria

Haldee
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 01:16 AM   #12
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Well the female fellowship would have stopped in all the citys to do shopping,- thats for sure!...lol

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 04:36 AM   #13
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

eleanor_niphredil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The mall of minas Tirith!

And by the way, it's Pippa longstockings. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 03-09-2003, 06:32 AM   #14
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
But, when it came to the actual fighting, they'd all be dead within the first battle. I mean, no matter how much of a feminist you are, you have to admit that Men are stronger than women.
they didn't exactly arm-wrestle the orcs, did they? if they could fight (and there's no reason why they shouldn't- look at Eowyn) then they'd be just as good as the men. so [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Lyra Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 06:54 AM   #15
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

eleanor_niphredil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Perhaps physicaly, men are stronger, but women have stronger minds. You need both to be a good fighter.
Old 03-09-2003, 07:14 AM   #16
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Leaving Rivendell:

All: oh no, I broke a nail!!

The fellowship stays in Rivendell, too scared for their nails to worry about the ring.

what if Sauron was female?

"Hey, you stole from my jewellery box!

*slap, slap*

Saurona breaks a nail, Isilda gets to keep the ring as Saurona is too busy crying to notice it.
Old 03-09-2003, 09:56 AM   #17
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

There are, of course, instances where women are stronger than men. Although, the average Man is stronger than the average Woman.

The Fellowship was a select group so if Elrond (or the female version of Elrond) could choose a band of Eowyn-lites then they might be little worse off, I'm not sure.

By the way, Orcs would not hesitate for one second in attacking women.
Old 03-09-2003, 10:17 AM   #18
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Sting

But they might try to capture them instead, and be taken off their guard seeing that the women could fight. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] ( If they knew Middle Earthian women well, this probably would come as a surprise.)
Old 03-12-2003, 01:40 PM   #19
Sillabub
Wight

Sillabub has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

And as for doing stupid things, well if you think about it with a female fellowship they wouldn't go ON AND ON AND ON AND ON about FOOOD for so many paragraphs...
Old 03-12-2003, 01:51 PM   #20
Ringethiriel
Pile O'Bones

Ringethiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i think that if all the members of the fellowship of the ring were female they would be quicker at making decisions but they would not be so good at fighting a group of orcs. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

i agree that they would spend less discussing food!
Old 03-12-2003, 02:17 PM   #21
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manardariel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I wouldn´t be so sure about that.

Gollumina: We only eats fishessss because it hardley has caloriessssss, yesss...
Samantha: Really? I´m getting some!
Froda: Samantha! I thought we agreed on strict vegitarism!

[ March 12, 2003: Message edited by: Manardariel ]
Old 03-12-2003, 09:44 PM   #22
Turgon

Eye

The female fellowship would have frozen to death on Caradhras. The women would not have been able to dig themselves out.
Old 03-12-2003, 10:18 PM   #23
Eressië Ailin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eressië Ailin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eressië Ailin
Question

And why not? I just got back from nowhere, VT, and there were SOOO many times when I had to get out from under at least six feet of snow!!! And I'm typing this so I obviously didn't freeze to death!! I don't see why a female fellowship couldn't do it!!

As for shopping, they would definately check out The Gap of Rohan.

Quote:
Somehow, I think I could tell who is a girl and who is a boy here...
It's too obvious...

Manardariel~ LOL!! I can just see that happening!!
Eressië Ailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 02:03 AM   #24
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Well, the girls would have been smart enough to stray away from orcs... And yes, wouldnt go on and on about food...

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 08:18 PM   #25
Salix
Shade of Carn Dûm

Salix has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

One comment about the 'Oh i broke a nail' stuff, I couldn't care less about a broken nail, shopping or makeup. Not every girl is like that.
Old 03-13-2003, 11:22 PM   #26
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Hmm... I dunno about you other girls, but I abhor traveling when that time rolls around. I wonder how the Fellowship would've handled that if they were all female?
Old 03-13-2003, 11:31 PM   #27
harlindon
Animated Skeleton

harlindon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

AHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAha anyone got a bottle of midol laying around? *snicker snicker* That would be awful. Wel anyways to go back up to the boys stronger than girls thing. Males and females have to same type of muscle, boys are just able to gain more mucslemass because they have more testonstrone(spelling?) And why would they be dead, i mean they survived with 4 hobbits and they aren't the strongest beings on (middle) earth. So them being dead at the first battle is crazy talk. Girls are stonge too.
Old 03-14-2003, 12:37 AM   #28
Lily Bombadil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Lily Bombadil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I think that a female fellowship, as some of you have said, would be able to survive much of a perilous journey of that sort. Girls are smart & level-headed. Remember when Pippin contributed to waking up those orcs in Moria by tossing a rock in a well? I doubt if a girl would've done that. As for broken nails, they might hurt at first, but they'll be sharper to claw with later.
Old 03-14-2003, 12:42 AM   #29
Arwen_Evenstar
Wight

Arwen_Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
And, unless it was a female Istar, the Balrog would have defeated them.
Dunno bout that...a mortal woman with PMS could take down a Balrog like *snaps fingers* that! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 03-14-2003, 12:40 PM   #30
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

Carlas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Carlas
Sting

Oh dear *shakes head* Seems this has turned into the battle of the sexes!

About them not talking about food as much, NOT TRUE! If you know me, I eat none stop, and love to talk about it to!

~Carlas~
Old 03-14-2003, 04:10 PM   #31
Isilmëiel
Animated Skeleton

Isilmëiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It seems like this whole argument is based on stereotypical images of men and women. Not all women are ready to fall apart at a broken nail. Not all men are strong. While Aragorn, Boromir, Legolas, and Gimli all were strong, the hobbits weren't. I've seen males who are horribly weak and awful at fighting. I've seen girls who can kick butt. If they were choosing a Fellowship at the Council of Elrond, and they decided to only have women, they wouldn't choose the weakling females who would fail. Their goal was to throw the Ring in the Cracks of Doom, and they needed people to help that come to be. I think the women probably could have done alright in the quest, just as long as they had been chosen carefully. Their routes may be different, but they still would have made it.
Old 03-14-2003, 08:46 PM   #32
Lily Bombadil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

I think the fellowship could've used a little of both guys & girls. As for hobbits being weak, Merry, Sam, and Pippin sort of strong, but Frodo was a bit of a sissy in my opinion.
Old 03-14-2003, 11:17 PM   #33
aragornreborn
Wight

aragornreborn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, unless Elrond suddenly lost his mind, I'm sure he would have picked females who could hold their own.

What I find interesting is that the people who say girls can be just as strong as guys follow that with, "and girls are smarter, too." Tsk tsk, you can give it, but you sure can't take it! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Yes there are girls who are stronger than guys. Yes there are guys stronger than girls. There are girls smarter than guys. And there are guys who are smarter than girls. Can't we all just get along *Disney music playing in the background*

And, no, I don't see the fellowship being female changing the way orcs treated them. I can't say that they seem like the most chivalrous creatures around, and since they didn't capture any male prisoners (unless under orders) I don't see why they'd take female ones. They are rather brutish creatures. "Ghhh. There enemy. Me kill."

[ March 15, 2003: Message edited by: aragornreborn ]
At the name of Jesus every knee should bow and every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. - Phil. 2:10-11
aragornreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 11:18 PM   #34
Tasslehoff_55
Pile O'Bones

Tasslehoff_55 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Tasslehoff_55 Send a message via AIM to Tasslehoff_55
Sting

Ok, you can call Frodo a sissy. Sure, hobbits don't fight good although they're pretty good for being very short (even shorter than me!)But if Frodo was able to get all d way 2 mordor, sissy or not, then get stung by a humongo spidey descendant from the big daddy of all spiders.... and SURVIVE with only going slightly insane cause of that ring, as when he gets delusions
Quote:
The hideous vision had seemed so real to him, half bemused as he was still with wound and fear. Sam had changed before his very eyes into an orc again, leering and pawing at his treasure, a foul little creature with greedy eyes and slobbering mouth
and then right after, frodo talking to sam
Quote:
'...It is the horrible power of the Ring. I wish it had never,never, been found. But don't mind me, Sam. I must carry this burden to the end. It can't be altered. You can't come between me and this doom.'
i love that part! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
His love for Frodo rose above all other thoughts, and forgetting his peril he cried aloud:"i'm coming, Mr.Frodo!" He ran forward to the crown of the climbing path, and over it. At once the road turned left and plunged steeply down. Sam had crossed into Mordor.
¤§ Tåsslehoff §¤
Tasslehoff_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 11:25 PM   #35
Lily Bombadil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Aragornreborn,
Finally! A creater of peace! BTW you guys should read the post under the topic movie bloopers. They're funnny! Sorry, but I can't remember ur name! You said something about Frodo & that spider. I don't think Frodo would've made it without Sam.
Old 03-17-2003, 03:43 PM   #36
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Lily Bombadil. I completely disagree that the Fellowship could have used Males and Females. They've got a magic Ring to destroy, they don't need any distractions!
Old 03-17-2003, 04:02 PM   #37
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

*has strange mental images of Boromir stealing the Ring from Frodo to use as an engagement ring for one of the females in the co-ed Fellowship* That's gonna keep me up laughing for another half hour! *giggles*
Old 03-17-2003, 04:13 PM   #38
Goldberry
Shade of Carn Dûm

Goldberry has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Goldberry
lol [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 03-17-2003, 05:56 PM   #39
Lily Bombadil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Eomer,
I never thought of that! Now that you mention it, I think you're right! I can just see Pippin chasing some little girlie around trying to get a kiss, while the Nazgul run off with the ring! Smart thinking!

Rynoah,
That is a funny thought!

-----------------------------
Hey dol! merry dol! ring a dong dillo!
Ring a dong! hop a long! fal lal the willow!
Old 03-18-2003, 09:51 PM   #40
Tasslehoff_55
Pile O'Bones

Tasslehoff_55 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Tasslehoff_55 Send a message via AIM to Tasslehoff_55
Sting

Hey! i'm the person whos been ravin' over Frodo and the spidey. I think you're right when he said he couldn't get so far without Sam... i mean SOMEONE has to be sane and uninfluenced by the ring! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
His love for Frodo rose above all other thoughts, and forgetting his peril he cried aloud:"i'm coming, Mr.Frodo!" He ran forward to the crown of the climbing path, and over it. At once the road turned left and plunged steeply down. Sam had crossed into Mordor.
¤§ Tåsslehoff §¤
Tasslehoff_55 is offline   Reply With Quote