The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2008, 03:22 PM   #921
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might View Post
When every time you start Mozilla (I hope you don't use IE ) you open a tab for BD right at the start even though you were actually intentding to look at something else.
Well my internet homepage is the Barrow Downs! (and yes I do use Mozilla Firefox!)
Old 01-21-2008, 06:36 PM   #922
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Finduilas is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Um.... What's Mozilla?
Old 01-21-2008, 07:02 PM   #923
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

It's an internet browser! Better than Internet Explorer! Better! Anyway it's a Lenux program!
Old 01-22-2008, 03:09 AM   #924
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might View Post
Yes, "accidentally".
Subconsciously, then.

Also, when your English lesson amuses you because
- when the teacher says "fizzy" you think she said "fishy" and think about werewolf
- the teacher talks about phrasal verbs and stresses the word "down"
- you can't help laughing when someone says that superheroes "protect the innocent"
- you have to translate the sentence "no one is going to get away with destroying my reputation"

Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 01:13 PM   #925
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Boots I've probably forgotten most of my signs of addiction, but anyway

While reading a book, you catch yourself thinking "This would make a good quote for Palantir of Fortune."

You misread Gwindor as Gwathagor and it takes you some time to find anything odd in it.

While studying Swedish irregular verbs, words like brinna and legat cheer you up. Also, the first thing to occur to you when hearing the name Runeberg is not the national poet of Finland, as it probably ought to be.

You chuckle when seeing an enterprise called MacMaintenance Ltd.

This amusement park ride called Hurja Kuru (hurja is ferocious in English and an appropriate transalation for kuru is gully, I think) never fails to make you laugh.

Every time you play werewolf, your father threatens to go and post "I'm a werewolf, lynch me!" if you leave the Downs open when going away for a while. Not that he'd actually do that, though.
Nevertheless, that leads you to remind him that he has promised to buy you a laptop about two years ago. And this time you keep reminding him until he fulfills his promise. A major reason is that you want to play werewolf in the peace of your room.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:35 PM   #926
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
I saw a car with a registerplate ANG-xxx (numbers I don't remember anymore) and immediately thought of werewolfing and elves...

Funnily I had the same feeling a few days ago when there was a car with registerplate's letters FEA-...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 01:54 PM   #927
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
...and I have Thinsulate gloves and an Agadir III Wolfskin backpack. There's actually even a story about the backpack.

Agadir the Third was the King of the Dwarves and the ancestor of Aganzir. But not only was Agadir a king, he was also a Werewolf, who slaughtered a lot of his kin at night. On one stormy night he tried to murder a prince, but a glorious princess came out of nowhere and killed the mad king. Together with the prince, they made a magical sack out of Agadir's wolfskin. The legend says that whatever you put into the magical sack, will look harmless to the security guards at airports.

Last edited by Volo; 01-22-2008 at 04:26 PM.
Volo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:04 PM   #928
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Surely you don't happen to be speaking about my performance in Saucie's WW, Volo?

And also Lommy had a Thinsulate hat when she was small.

I just remembered something more.
Today, some girl in my English class told about a book she had read. The author was Mary Higgins Clark, and somehow my mind kept twisting it into Mary Noggins Clark.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:29 PM   #929
Volo

I edited my previous post adding the part in italic.

Hmm... I wonder if it's a sign of addiction that already after you've switched off your computer, you remember a minor detail like that, turn on the computer, edit your post and switch it off again. And it's 00:30 here... Or is it just a sign of personal perfectionism or something?

Last edited by Volo; 01-22-2008 at 04:30 PM. Reason: smelling, thanks to Aganzir for reminding how "previous" is actually written.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:48 PM   #930
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
Today, some girl in my English class told about a book she had read. The author was Mary Higgins Clark, and somehow my mind kept twisting it into Mary Noggins Clark.
Oh, you just reminded me of something - I did not consciously realise it, but since the first time I saw Nogrod's name written as "Noggins" (which must be a long time ago), I started to think of the lyrics to one of the songs in the musical "My Fair Lady" as "Just you wait, Mr. Noggins, just you wait!" This song generally sounds in my head (with these lyrics) from time to time when I play WW...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:35 PM   #931
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
I started to think of the lyrics to one of the songs in the musical "My Fair Lady" as "Just you wait, Mr. Noggins, just you wait!" This song generally sounds in my head (with these lyrics) from time to time when I play WW...
You must have terrible werewolf-sessions Legate!

Or is that the reason I always get suspected in werewolf... because everyone is humming that song?
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:45 PM   #932
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
You must have terrible werewolf-sessions Legate!
It's not that bad. It's sort of a stimulant, you know. And quite often I don't even have many reasons to suspect you, either.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 01-23-2008, 10:06 AM   #933
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Oh no, it's happening to me as well!!!

When you start chuckling helplessly in a choir practise where the conductor tells you to sing in legato.

When you read a book and where it says morn you automatically read it as morm.

Or this one, rather old actually, from November I think? I had a Swedish lesson where we were given an oral exercise. The instructions were to form small groups and sort of roleplay a family discussing what to do on holiday. One of the roles was "pappan Rune" (pappan means father in Swedish) Do I need to say more?
Actually, yes. I was doing the role of Rune's wife. Also, if my memory doesn't fail me, Volo was Rune. I seem to remember that the discussion ended up in a divorce...
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:19 AM   #934
Volo

Yes, indeed! And our two children didn't have a say in anything...

Last edited by Volo; 01-30-2008 at 06:06 AM.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:41 AM   #935
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Green View Post
Oh no, it's happening to me as well!!!
"Then they'll march you Mr. Noggins to the wall, and the Mod will tell me: 'Lily, sound the call'" ?

Quote:
When you start chuckling helplessly in a choir practise where the conductor tells you to sing in legato.
I just can't help to wonder how popular I am
Old 01-27-2008, 07:34 PM   #936
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

When there is a building in town that has a sign that says "Rilke", but you can't help but think every time you see it of Rikae...
Old 01-28-2008, 04:44 PM   #937
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

When you are writing a paper for school and when you want to use italics, you have itching to write [ I ] before the text...

EDIT: I just realised that on Downs, one mostly uses the button that can do it automatically, which means I don't have it from writing normal posts... oh my, okay, I just caught myself. So it's a result of myself writing this way sometimes in Word (someone who reads will understand...)

Last edited by Legate of Amon Lanc; 01-28-2008 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:44 PM   #938
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

*she giggles* I just press ctrl and then I!

Or when you and you're friend (Lauri) start talking about things on the Downs like "Did you know what Hookbill said?!?!" and another one of your friends that eats lunch with you says to the person walking by (also one of your friends) "I have no idea what they're talking about!"
Old 01-29-2008, 10:32 AM   #939
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
When you are reading a text you've written and the sentence "It might be true" makes you think about The Might...
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
Old 01-29-2008, 10:50 AM   #940
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
When you are writing a paper for school and when you want to use italics, you have itching to write [ I ] before the text...
I'm doing that all the time.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:52 PM   #941
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
When 10+ people are online, and you click to view "Currently active members" to only find out that you are subscribed to every thread that is being viewed.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:15 AM   #942
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

When you are supposed to be doing homework (enough homework so that it will probably take like an hour to finish) and you are posting on the Downs because you got bored!
Old 01-30-2008, 02:12 AM   #943
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

When you see one of those Internet quizzes that go around and one of the questions said, "What was the subject of your last telephone call" you are tempted to say 'Do Paper Telephones count?'
Old 01-30-2008, 04:44 AM   #944
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGEW
When you are supposed to be doing homework (enough homework so that it will probably take like an hour to finish) and you are posting on the Downs because you got bored!
Why, I thought that was normal I have an exam week going and I really should be studying (I should read, what, 140 pages for tomorrow ), but instead I'm here... The worst part is, I never considered it a sign of addiction
Old 01-30-2008, 04:48 AM   #945
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Why, I thought that was normal I have an exam week going and I really should be studying (I should read, what, 140 pages for tomorrow ), but instead I'm here... The worst part is, I never considered it a sign of addiction
Heehee. As for other signs, what about becoming very happy when you realise you've managed to make someone take the path to BD addiction?
Old 01-30-2008, 04:54 AM   #946
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:
I have an exam week going and I really should be studying (I should read, what, 140 pages for tomorrow ), but instead I'm here...
Since I have only a Math test tomorrow, I can happily spend my day here instead of studying for the other tests or writing essays that are due to... soon. I know I will be regretting this tomorrow evening.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:00 AM   #947
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Yes, why are you all discussing it? It IS normal. :ROLL EYES: I should be writing two papers... but I still have time... (and yes, I must also finish several books, but that has also time... oh my)
Old 01-30-2008, 07:46 AM   #948
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
When you accidentally mention Werewolf at the end of a lecture and thus spend the entire 20 minute walk home trying to explain the game. I'm not sure they ever quite understood.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:04 AM   #949
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Well, I was doing homework on the computer, so really the only reason I hadn't finished it yet is because I wanted to go on the Downs, and if I was "doing" my homework, then I would get to go on the Downs!
Old 01-31-2008, 09:44 AM   #950
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

I think this is somewhat related to the topic of the current heated debate :

When you come home and the first thing you do is that you go to check BD even though you have more than a lot of other "more important" ( ) things to do...
Old 01-31-2008, 09:52 AM   #951
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Or when the first thing you do when you get up in the morning is go on the Barrow-Downs even though you have to do many more things to do before you go to school.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:00 AM   #952
Volo

Or when you sit the whole day in the Downs doing nothing, even though you have the basic "a lot of important things to do". I can always blame the floo I'm having, but still... I never remember my hand aching in a way that indicates that I have held it on a mouse for too long.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:28 AM   #953
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I suppose this is another "Lommy Addiction"...

When you just have to take a picture of a penguin, whether it's real or a snowglobe because it makes you think of Lommy.

Of course, it helps that I already love penguins myself...but whenever I see something penguin related, I can't help but point at it and say, "Lommy would love that!"
Old 01-31-2008, 12:00 PM   #954
Volo

When you think of the year 2002 as very very very long ago.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:27 PM   #955
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

In the place where I attend art classes, there's a wall some children have painted to. One of the paintings is a crippled Superman who, I think, looks exactly like littlemanpoet. It amuses me very much every time I see it, and lately (unless I misheard) Lommy has also agreed that it looks like him.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:44 PM   #956
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I just read the last couple pages of this thread and I was in stitches! So much of it is stuff that I do too. :P

This one's already been done, sort of, but still....

When you're talking with a couple friends (one who knows of WW and one who doesn't) and you completely leave the other person out of the conversation because they have no idea what's going on.

Also, when you're talking to friends and you talk about nothing but WW. You know you should shut up and ask them how their day went, especially since they've never heard of WW, but....I mean, come on! It's WW!
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:49 PM   #957
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Finduilas is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
When you get into a computer game, and they ask you to type in your nickname, and you enter Findy...
Old 02-18-2008, 09:30 PM   #958
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finduilas View Post
When you get into a computer game, and they ask you to type in your nickname, and you enter Findy...

*chuckles* Sadly, I can't claim that as obsession. I use Sally as a nickname on all my boards for games and stuff. Mostly because no one seems to be able to spell my real name. Seriously, how hard can it be to spell Kayla? It's exactly like it sounds. Kay. La. That's all.

Anyway....to stay on topic and all that snazz....

I'm in a playwriting class and I just realized that the author of our book....his last name is Downs. It just made me laugh, because of course we all know where my mind went.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 05:26 AM   #959
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

This paragraph in a piece of homework I did for my Fantasy Fiction Module at University...

Quote:
"When Ahâziah brought his people out of Lizarn, the Bears were troubled greatly. There was a leader among them named Rune the son of Bjarne, the son of Mære, and he sought to bring the Dinosaurs back to their homeland. But Ahâziah would not listen to him and wandered away East. Rune was saddened by their going, for the Bears were great friends to the Dinosaurs. So he took council with his friends and they journeyed through the wild lands of Lizarn, seeking the Stone of Tsuwriy'el, for it was greatly desired by the King of the Dinosaurs. But they found it not. They heard a rumour that the Dragons of the Drago Lands had taken it. So Rune set sail and went thither. After twelve Years, he returned, alone and did not speak of what had passed in the Drago Lands, except that he had seen the stone and he could not take it."
I do like these Downs references.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:31 AM   #960
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

OH, MY!!!

A sign of addiction: When you have a folder in your computer, called "Barrow-downs", and it has 195 MB!!! And don't ask me what's inside it so that it's so big - I don't know even myself! The biggest files I can think of and I know they are there are Paper Telephone concepts. But still.