Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-28-2002, 05:21 PM   #881
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Bird

I moved 'saves' so yours should fit in fine.
Old 11-28-2002, 10:36 PM   #882
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Thanks Pio. 'Cause right now I have a major case of writer's block. I keep reading the last threads, and I got nothing. Maybe tomorrow.

I wonder if prunes would help?
Old 11-29-2002, 07:11 PM   #883
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Golly, it's quiet out there. Well, I'm off to Seattle... love y'all, --Helen
Old 11-30-2002, 06:49 PM   #884
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

I think we're back in gear again, Helen. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I have filled in my 'saved" spot from page 12, Nov. 28th, 9:08 am, if anyone wants to read it. Bird has a last meeting with Kali, Cami and Angara, and she gives them a "gift".
Old 11-30-2002, 09:55 PM   #885
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

The ships have set sail, east and west.

Please continue on to the Anduin.
Old 12-01-2002, 01:18 PM   #886
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Probably late tonight or Monday.

Pat, I need to reply to Bird's present. Can I use my magic key to get into your box and stick my answer before the sailing?

sharon
Old 12-01-2002, 06:44 PM   #887
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Sharon

I moved all the necessary posts and put a 'save' in just beneath Bird's for your reply to her.
Old 12-04-2002, 02:36 PM   #888
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

I think I am having withdrawal symptoms. It has taken me forever to write Cami's goodbye to Bird, and to the isle of Meneltarma. Now, that I've written it, I think I understood why I kept putting it off!

The next few days are freer for me. I will work on the ship sailing to the Anduin and its arrival by the Falls.

Helen--will you be working on Loremaster and Phura, or are you snowed under with real life?

sharon
Old 12-04-2002, 03:00 PM   #889
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

I, like you, Sharon, can hardly face it. I went through this once when I knew I was going to have to kill off one of my characters-- it took me weeks to gather the courage to do it. I liked 'em too much. I missed them, too. It was almost a grieving process. Okay, no "almost" about it...

But yeah, real life is in mugging-mode right now.

Good luck. If I have to I'll just keep saving spots. The one thing I know is that Gamba is going to be in on Kesha's plans, and is going to write Kesha a "Don't worry, Loremaster, I stowed away on the Lonely Star" kind of note. So Gamba will be unsurprised, and guilty, about Kesha. Maybe you can catch him bringing Kesha food.
Old 12-05-2002, 12:42 AM   #890
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

I need help!

I sat down tonight to try and do the post on the ship's journy to the Rauros Falls when I realized I had a rather large problem.

You know Cami (and her owner) are not exactly the best navigators on the Star! Exactly how do we get there? Do we sail across the sea in the year we're in and proceed north up the Anduin past the Mouths of the Entwash until we get to the base of the Falls? Then do we time jump?

Is it a problem to have 14 swanships streaming up past Minas Anor in the year 3320 SA in broad daylight? Even at night, there is surely no way to sneak those ships in. The city was founded in 3320. Correct?

Pat, you indicated you will be posting regularly later in the week. Perhaps you have a better sense of how this voyage should go, and would like to describe the sailing yourself? Pretty please. If not, I am willing to write it myself, as long as I understand what our route is.

The one thing I would like to do in my own subsequent post is to discover Gamba sneaking food to our stowaway Kesha. Plus, I'd like to describe the party that is there to greet the hobbits near the Falls when we actually land.

Speaking of which.....does anyone have trouble with the Silvan Elves being there to help the hobbits? We will be heading up towards Greenwood (soon to be Mirkwood, alas). And does anyone have problems with a brief allusion to Legolas being with this party as well. (Fangirls, eat your hearts out!)

I am anticipating that we will spend the one night all camping out together much as Frodo did in LotR. Then, in the morning, Cami and Elven crew plus hobbits will depart.

BTW, Gandalf will not be at the landing site. He will send a message to Cami that he has been 'unavoidably delayed'(you know Gandalf!), and will hopefully see her sometime soon. He will, however, have sent a substitute in his place as well as the pony which she so richly deserves.

This substitute character will indeed provide a link with the next voyage of the Star. In that RPG, this same character will reappear and be able to regale us with tales of the infamous Cami Goodchild and her exploits in the TA, should we require amusement around our campfire. Knowing Cami as I do, however, I venture to say that these tales may be excessively long-winded.

Indeed, just as the Star twinkles out of the Third Age, I believe this character may reveal a piece of information to Cami that would be critical to Bird's search for her people. Poor Cami! Unfortunately, she has no way to get that information directly to Bird who is now chugging off into the Fourth Age.

Rumor has it that Cami may put this clue and other minor tidbits into a journal that will be deposited into the library at Rivendell. Of course, if Bird or Pio have the good sense to check that out in the archives, then they will find their friend has left them some helpful information!

sharon

[ December 05, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 12-05-2002, 02:06 AM   #891
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

When exactly do you want the 'sail and reach Rauros Falls post? does everyone have all the places claimed they need to?

I'll write it tomorrow if needed and as we draw near the Bay of Belfalas, Pio will take us all back to the very first years of the Second Age - before Sauron reawoke (@ 500 SA before he began to re-establish himself in Mordor).

We'll safely sail upriver to Rauros Falls area - transport to the approriate 3rd age date - drop off the hobbits - wink back to the early Second Age and skedaddle back to the open sea. Then to the appropriate time for Kali/Daisy/everybody else. At which time, Kali will come on board with Pio, Bird and Mith (While everyone else waits for him) - The Lonely Star will transport to the fourth age, then send Kali out in a skiff with the time crystal, and he'll head back to the second age where everyone in the Swan ships is waiting. this is a lot of winking in and out of time - but is certainly do-able.

OR - take Mith up on his original offer of getting us normal appearing ships to head up the Anduin.

Your call. Or anyone have any other ideas?

[ December 05, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 12-05-2002, 06:47 AM   #892
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Very tricky, but it will work. I am willing to use either scenario. Does anyone else have a preference here whether we use men's ships or do lots of time jumps? I wonder where and how Mithadan intended to find Men's ships? I'll do whatever you folk think is best on this one.

Let me do this. Today (and tonight), I will do one or more posts where we will begin sailing towards the Bay of Belefas in the year 3320. That way, I can get the details in about Kesha and Gamba as needed. Hopefully, Helen and Bird will pop in as well. I see Helen has saved a block. I'll check with her to see what she has in mind.

Either way, I'll make sure that we're into the Bay in the year 3020 SA(game time)by 1:30 a.m. central time on Friday morning.(real time). Then, one way or another, you and/or Mithadan can get us to the landing site at the falls in the year 1000 TA (game time).

Then, I'll pop back in with a post describing what we see as we come towards the landing point. (Cami, will be a little panicked at Gandalf's absence, but we all know how wizards are!) We'll disembark to begin meeting those who've come and have a night around the campfire with the Elves for our final goodbyes.

Since you didn't mention anything regarding the landing scenario, I am assuming that is basically alright in your eyes. Does anyone else have ideas about the landing, or who's there to greet us?

sharon
Old 12-05-2002, 07:56 AM   #893
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Lots of time jumps versus mens ships-- doesn't doing time-jumps sort of punch holes in the fabric of the universe or something? I thought we were s'posed to avoid doing it TOO much. Threads in the loom of time, and unravelling things, and all that? I would vote for mens' ships for that reason. But then that's a lot to explain and engineer...

Being a mere passenger (okay, four of them) I'll just hang on either way.

Uh-- I saved the spot, Sharon, just in case I needed it, and because I've been awfully quiet lately and I don't want the Tooks to drop altogether out of the story. (I'll think of something.)

Bird-- I'm confused. Who should say goodbye to you (of my characters) and when? Cami said goodbye to you-- don't we have a whole voyage ahead of us? We've got to get to the mouth of the Anduin, and then up the Anduin--it won't happen in one night, not at seven knots (tailwind, upstream.)

Confused passengers to Navigator... "Ruh?"

Love, --Helen
Old 12-05-2002, 09:46 AM   #894
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Helen - I sure hope Phura says good-bye to Birdie. She's swimming alongside the ship with Levanto.
Old 12-05-2002, 10:08 AM   #895
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I've got the transport to Rauros covered if you wish. I don't like the idea of shifting on a river whose banks and shoals may have chaged over the space of an Age or so. If you want the transport, we need to stop by Minas Tirith/Anor. Probably leave the Elven fleet moored somewhere and go in with the Star. Someone refresh my memory. Who was king then?
Old 12-05-2002, 10:51 AM   #896
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Bird-- Phura's coming for the ride, and returning with Kali afterward. So's Azraph, and Daisy-- I thought? Right? And also Kesha will be stowing away in Cami's closet.

So does Phura have to say goodbye now or can he do it later?
Old 12-05-2002, 11:19 AM   #897
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Sharon - remind the addle-brained Elf once again - what year are we aiming for?

Mithadan - once we know the year, here is the list of Kings:

Kings of Gondor

Please feel free to bring the Star to its destination.

[ December 05, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 12-05-2002, 01:42 PM   #898
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

We are aiming for 1000 of the Third Age. That is because the hobbits' earliest mention of recorded history, according to Tolkien, is 1050 of the Third Age.

I also wanted Cami to get a few good years in Greenwood before it becomes overun with spiders and Orcs. She will see that change in her lifetime. Near the end of her days the hobbits will decide to split up into the three clans. Cami will retire to Rivendell to write her memoirs.

Too bad JRRT didn't check the Rivendell archives when he composed his hobbit history.

Wasn't Ciryandil King then? He was the third ship-king killed in 1015.

sharon
Old 12-06-2002, 01:49 AM   #899
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

My post is completed regarding Gamba and Kesha.

Helen, if you want to add anything (don't know if you will), you can always append it to mine.

sharon
Old 12-06-2002, 03:01 PM   #900
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

I've got the post written where the Star reaches the outer limits of the Bay of Belfalas. Before I post it - does anyone else have a save or post they need to put in?

I did put in an extra 'SAVE' for any one to use.

After my post should come the post concerning obtaining the Mannish ships and then the arrival at Rauros.

[ December 06, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 12-07-2002, 12:57 AM   #901
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Helen - Jump in anytime with a post for Birdie, and I will respond.

Child - I never thanked you for the wonderful good-bye scene. Oh, and thanks for leaving Bird and Pio some "clues". Although it will be hard to read something left behind so long ago by Cami. Too sad.
Old 12-07-2002, 08:34 PM   #902
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Hey, if Gandalf can read a manuscript from Isildur from the very beginning of age 3, surely you guys should be able to decipher my journal. I have a feeling that the Elves of Rivendell take better care of their manuscripts than the men of Gondor.

Not so sad. Cami will have a long life, and die at over 100 years. Her final years will be spent at Rivendell writing, much like Bilbo. Rose and Gamba and the others will go on and have families of their own. Such is the way of the world, theirs and ours as well! Still don't think she will marry, but she does have a family.

sharon
Old 12-07-2002, 08:57 PM   #903
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

...and Noldo and Sindo will be Gamba's great-grandsons...
Old 12-09-2002, 12:42 PM   #904
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Is it just me, or are we all avoiding writing the final chapters to our mighty saga? [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-09-2002, 12:51 PM   #905
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Its not just you, though I have a number of (lame) excuses for not posting lately. If someone doesn't fill in some of the "saves" I'll get moving on it.
Old 12-09-2002, 12:54 PM   #906
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

We have been avoiding this for a couple of months now.

I would really like to close soon, and start the planning for the Southern Adventure - can we have a concerted effort to try and do this?

Also, the longer we take to finish - the longer it will be for Sharon and I to start editing/revamping it for a fanfic. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-09-2002, 02:14 PM   #907
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

You think you've got problems? I'e got to say goodbye to my character forever. Sniff, sob.

Mithadan, please ignore my saves. You may go ahead and get us to shore.

I do have some definite ideas on what is waiting for us. And, in one sense, at least it will tie in with the next story. Bird and I have been discussing this in just the last day. We've discovered that great minds think alike!

Mith, as soon as you post I'll describe what's waiting for us. We'll spend one night at the Elves' campfire. Pio and I need to say goodbye to each other. And that goodbye will have relevence for the next story. Then you folk can wisk away and I can take a rest!

sharon
Old 12-09-2002, 05:21 PM   #908
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

I'm a bit fuzzy about "the saves". I'm percolating. Is this frowned upon? It's not writers' block; it's more like gestation. I think.

Anyway, speak Westron... does the thread have a deadline now or is this just a communal deep breath before the final plunge?
Old 12-09-2002, 06:46 PM   #909
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Helen,

I would say it's not a deadline, just a deep breath before the final plunge. I personally don't think there's any problem having 'percolating saves' in the thread at this point, as long as we go forward with the landing and the story. Realistically, it will take us at least a few days to tie everything up.

My guess is that the posts to come in saved spaces would enrich the story, but not redirect the main plot line so that we can safely go forward.

If we still have saves when we come to the end of the tale, we could always ask Mithadan to wait a day or two before locking the thread and taking it to Elvenhome or wherever finished threads go for their 'afterlife'. That would give you (or any of us) a window to finish whatever needs finishing.

Plus, worst case scenario, we can always add (or delete!) anything we want to in the fanfiction, if we feel that something needs editing or supplmentation.

One other point......we once talked about having some wrap ups at the end which tie up our character's lives. Since there's going to be a volume 2, it makes more sense to handle that there. Since Radagast will know Cami, Gamba, etc. he will be able to do that even for those characters with tales around the campfire.

The only missing ones would be the Meneltarma crew.

sharon

[ December 09, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 12-11-2002, 09:43 AM   #910
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

FYI, I've filled in three out of five of my "saves". Loremaster & Gamba's goodbye is still waiting (sniffSob) and the most recent "Save" I'll fill in after I see what kind of trouble Cami gets us into!
Old 12-11-2002, 11:21 AM   #911
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Trouble? Me? Miss Cami stares towards the ceiling. I would never do that. (But Gamba and Kesha would!)
Old 12-11-2002, 11:31 AM   #912
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

#@$%&$# Halflings!
Old 12-11-2002, 11:44 AM   #913
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Wonderful! Trouble brewing, and Pio is unarmed.
Old 12-11-2002, 01:22 PM   #914
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Boys will be boys!

Helen, please see my pm.
Old 12-11-2002, 01:30 PM   #915
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Knowing Hobbits, rescuing them will more likely require a wheelbarrow than knives. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-11-2002, 01:38 PM   #916
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Perhaps a wheelbarrow and a fist fight?
Old 12-11-2002, 03:39 PM   #917
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Child, see my PM, thanks. That was fun, but I ran out of time in the marketplace. Good luck.
Old 12-12-2002, 11:36 AM   #918
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Wooly-pated little gadabouts??? Excuse us??? There's just as much wool on our feet, but you fail to mention THAT.

Your life would be duller without us, admit it.

Besides, we were behaving VERY well until Cami egged us on.
Old 12-12-2002, 11:51 AM   #919
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Pio, I've been following along with your sleuthing in the Green Dragon with interest. Very clever.
Old 12-12-2002, 12:40 PM   #920
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

A Friendly Reminder.....

Remember to click on the "disable sig" button when you post on the game thread.

sharon

[ December 12, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]