The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-08-2004, 12:34 PM   #1
Felis Dei

Sting Poetry in LOTR

Why in your opinion has Tolkien included such amounts of different kinds of poetry in his work? Do they serve a particular purpose?
Old 02-08-2004, 12:48 PM   #2
Maverick
Pile O'Bones

Maverick has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Most of the songs and poetry are used to tell stories and history about middle-earth. The tails are past down so that history is not forgotten or repeated.
Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 12:50 PM   #3
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Tolkien had a decree in Old English and was Professor in Anglo-Saxon at the Oxford University, so he knew much about languages. I guess the reason is as simple him liking languages so much that therefore he made the M-e languages and the large amount of poetry for his books.

greetings,
lathspell
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 01:30 PM   #4
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Sting

Think of it this way..

In real life, people sing songs or humorous poems constantly. Not as much nowadays as long ago. People sing national anthems, funny children's songs, story songs, ballads, their favorite lyric, depending on their mood. In LotR, Aragorn couldn't spontaneously start singing "Row, Row, Row your boat" at his coronation. Tolkein had to create all the popular verse that people knew, for mistrels and anyone else.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 03:44 PM   #5
Oroaranion
Haunting Spirit

Oroaranion has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

In the books, the Elves seem to write little, and pass down their memories in song. This would explain all the Elvish songs and poetry that come up often.

Well, it does to me [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-12-2004, 09:21 PM   #6
Lobelia
Wight

Lobelia has just left Hobbiton.
Also, if you read old Northern sagas, you'll find that characters *do* burst into song or verse at the drop of a helmet. It's just the way they're written. And some of the poems were written by Tolkien before LOTR and he sneaked them in, e.g. the Man in the Moon song Frodo sings at Bree.
Lobelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 05:40 PM   #7
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Oh, of course the songs and poems serve a purpose. Just as many have said, they are very much "Tokien" and additionally they are used to pass down the history, traditions and legends of the peoples of Middle Earth. The use of verbal stories and songs to tell history used to be much more previlent, but because of the creation of other ways to communicate it has mostly dissapeared. Now songs and poems are used less to tell history, and more to entertain (but even the songs and poems of today can still tell a lot about our culture and and traditions). Additionally I think the songs and poems just fit. I would most certainly miss them if they were not there.
Old 02-14-2004, 04:06 AM   #8
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Poetry in LotR also emphasizes the cultural diversity of the various races. Just think of the difference between the hobbits' down-to-earth Bath Song and the 'high poetry' of the Elves, or the heroic, alliterative free verse of the Rohirrim. Each culture has its own distinctive style, giving us a feeling of the depth of diversion in Middle-earth. Even Tom Bombadil, who is a unique character, has a unique style of poetry to characterize him. I think the poetry shows those differences much more so than the everyday prose of the characters, especially since Tolkien 'translated' that into Common Speech for his readers.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 05:26 AM   #9
zb
Haunting Spirit

zb has just left Hobbiton.
"heroic, alliterative free verse"

*cough-anglo saxon poetry-cough*
"Do you think I am trying to weave a spell? Perhaps I am; but remember your fairy tales. Spells are used for breaking enchantments as well as inducing them. And you and I have need of the strongest spell that can be found to wake us from the evil enchantment of worldliness..." - C.S. Lewis
zb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 12:20 PM   #10
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elianna has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I agree with Estelyn Telcontar; all the poems and songs reinterate just how different all the peoples of Middle-earth are.
Also, I think it's Tolkien's style, showing he's a poet, not only a reader of prose.
It also adds some diversity in the story: to make sure you're not reading huge long chapters of solid prose, Tolkien dots every chapter with at least a small poem.
I don't think it's so strange anyway. I know I'm always bursting into song....
FRODO OF THE NINE FINGERS AND THE RING OF DOOM!....sorry. Now whenever I get bored I always suggest to my friends: Wanna sing a Hobbit drinking song?!
Elianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 08:33 AM   #11
Ellwyn
Animated Skeleton

Ellwyn has just left Hobbiton.
I agree with Oroaranion, tales were passed down in word, and so they would be remembered, in song.
'Too often have I heard of duty. But am I not of the House of Eorl, a shieldmaiden and not a dry-nurse? I have waited on faltering feet long enough. Since they falter no longer, it seems, may I not now spend my life as I will?' - Éowyn
Ellwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 09:50 AM   #12
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Singing songs/poetry is also a way of bonding with your friends. Think back to all the times you've sung with your friends. They don't necessarily have to be formal songs, they could easily be drinking songs. You feel a heightened form of camaraderie with your friends afterwards. The same applied in Middle-earth. The Hobbits' drinking songs, the Rohirrim's war songs, and the Elves' ballads all brought the singers together, and kept the bonds of fellowship strong in world that was fast falling to darkness.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 11:18 AM   #13
Hot, crispy nice hobbit
Wight

Hot, crispy nice hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
*thought about Ol' Tom Bombadilo the Merry Fellow.*

Quote:
"Ho! Tom Bombadil, Tom Bombadillo! By Water, wood and hill, by the reed and willow By fire, sun and moon, harken now and hear us! Come, Tom Bombadil, for our need is near us!"
*sweat* That's quite a song to tide over times of Darkness! It was said that this song has a cheering effect too!
Hot, crispy nice hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 05:18 PM   #14
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
I think Gandalf even tells Gimli, Legolas, and Aragorn that the people of Rohan know their history through songs and poems because not all of them can read.

As a person I also simply liked the poems and songs because I like poetry.

In the time of middle-earth the entertainment was through songs, poems and tales instead of movies
Old 02-21-2004, 05:52 PM   #15
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Some of the songs seemed to reveal things about the characters themselves at times, too.

"Gil-galad was an Elven King...." the others turned in amazement, for the voice was Sam's.
"Mr. Bilbo taught it to me when I was a little lad."

"Troll sat alone on a seat of stone..."
"Next he'll be a wizard, or a warrior!" *can we say foreshadowing?
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 11:56 PM   #16
warrenerd
Animated Skeleton

warrenerd has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to warrenerd
Tolkien

tolkien had an appreciation for poetry and music. he realized the historic value and, as both a creative flare and an important foundation, wrote the many sonnets stories we've come to associate with tolkien's form of writing. i think...
~shouting at the wall~