The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-12-2003, 06:54 PM   #1
Gildor15
Pile O'Bones

Gildor15 has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe The Scouring of the Shire

I can't believe that there are so few people sad about leaving this chapter out of the movie. It's probably my personal favorite chapter and a think it's a great end to the book. I'm can definitely see why it would be left out especially since the movie is already pushing 4 hours but I would like to see how many of you are also sad about this.
Old 05-12-2003, 06:57 PM   #2
elven maiden Earwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elven maiden Earwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elven maiden Earwen
Sting

Ahhhh!! I hate that they are going to leave it out. I loved this part in the book, but then again I loved almost every part of the book but thats beside the point. I liked it because it showed you so much about hobbits. I mean like you learned just how much they care for each other and nature and it also shows that even though hobbits are so small small they are still very strong. I'm going to miss this part in the movie. :'(
elven maiden Earwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 07:10 PM   #3
Gildor15
Pile O'Bones

Pipe

I would kiss PJ on the mouth if he added the sequence on the special edition dvd but the chances of that are so slim that I'll hurt myself hoping. It is a great part. It shows how much the hobbits have changed. In Three is Company the hobbits complain about sleeping on gnarled roots and then Sam comes back after dragging Frodo up Mt. Doom and blows Rosie's mind. How I'd love to see Saruman grovel before Frodo. Frodo is merciful and lets him go then Grima slits his throat. It would definitely be a moment for hobbits to shine.
Old 05-12-2003, 09:12 PM   #4
Arwen_Evenstar
Wight

Arwen_Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I agree Gildor, <BR>It shows how much they have grown, physically and emotionally. A giant Merry and Pip, riding around blowing horns, in the uniform of the Citadel! And all the other hobbits, hardened by captivity, battling the ruffians! I am very dissapointed that they are leaving this part out! I would love to see Lobelia having a go at them men!!! <BR> <BR>~nat~
Old 05-13-2003, 10:47 AM   #5
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I'd have to pass on kissing PJ ( even if I wasn't a guy...)! I've heard so many people say that the scouring of the shire didn't really seem to fit with the rest of the book. It does seem a little different, but I still think the should've put it in. I don't know if any of you guys have actually heard for certain about leaving it out or not...but I think they pretty much confirmed it by having Wormtounge cut Saruman's throat & through him out one of the windows at Isengard ( It'll happen in RotK, of course ). Oh well, I guess we have<BR>to give them some room to work with ( Although after seeing how they abused that room to work with in TTT, I'm not sure how much room we can trust them with in RotK!) . <p>[ May 13, 2003: Message edited by: The Only Real Estel ]
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 10:54 AM   #6
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I wasn't put out about it being changed, but it is a great part of the book. It would be nice to see it in the movie, but I can't wait to see the new take on Saruman's death.
Old 05-15-2003, 11:24 AM   #7
Dwalin
Pile O'Bones

Dwalin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"Scouring of the Shire" is my favorite section of LOTR, but I understand why they cut it. The movie's already immense because they have to include the end of TTT. But I still wish I could see hordes of perturbed hobbit folk.
Old 05-16-2003, 09:28 PM   #8
elfling
Haunting Spirit

elfling has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I was really bummed about the leaving out of the scouring of the Shire, I hope PJ will add it to his extra release with all th extended stuff. I too, liked the way this chapter showed the growth of the Hobbits and the lack of magic with the elves and gandolf leaving the hobbits to take care of themselves.
Old 05-16-2003, 09:37 PM   #9
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I was kind of dissapointed that they had to leave out so many parts that I absolutely loved in the books (including the Scouring). But some of the parts just had to go. I think maybe we would understand if we worked as a screenwriter, it is a hard job, taking such an immense peace of work and having to change it in such a way that everyone (including people who have never read the book) would understand. I wish they could just follow the storyline of the book, but then the entire story would probably be over 24 hours long (though it would be a spectacular film) and without theaters having intermissions that would be a really long time to have to wait for the bathroom. <P>The scouring would be cool though. Getting to see the hobbits kick some butt on screen would be very cool, and getting to see Saurman die the way he did in the book would be even better
Old 05-27-2003, 12:13 PM   #10
TealDude4
Animated Skeleton

TealDude4 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It is somewhat disapointing that the scouring will be left out, but then again, things are better left not seen but imagined. That doesn't mean that I don't like the movies, but what would happen if the scouring wasn't exicuted correctly, since it is a very complex part of the story.
"I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come, when the courage of men fail. And we forsake our friends, and break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day. This day, we fight!"
TealDude4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 07:05 PM   #11
babsies
Pile O'Bones

babsies has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i was quite mad when i heard they were leaving that out. that was by far my favorite part. grrrrrrr. *breathes in... breathes out...* im ok.
Old 05-28-2003, 07:28 PM   #12
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I don't think that PJ's even going to include the Scouring of the Shire in the extended DVD of Return of the King, since all of the actors mentioned that it was completely cut. I think that they're just going to jump from the Hobbits' return to the Shire, to the Departure of the Ringbearers.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 07:52 PM   #13
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dûm

Faye Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Faye Took
Sting

Argh! Scouring of the Shire was one of my absolute favorite parts in the series. I think that this was one of the most important parts too. Just like elven maiden Earwen said, it shows how strong hobbits can be even though they're so little.
Faye Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 10:33 PM   #14
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I can live with Peter Jackson's decision regarding the Scouring. I'm just interested in seeing how our heroes <I>do</I> explain their absence, and the hobbits' reactions to just what was going beyond the borders of the Shire for the past year.<P>(Rosie to Sam: "You did <I>WHAT?</I>")
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 09:44 AM   #15
peony_foxburr
Haunting Spirit

peony_foxburr has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peony_foxburr
Sting

What Birdland said. There are so many future plot threads set in motion in the "Scouring" chapter: Sam's future as a famous gardner, Frodo's recurring illnesses, Saruman's "prophecy" that Frodo will have neither health nor long life, Pippin and Merry's future prominence. Are they to be untouched ?<BR>PJ: I will be your *anything* slave if you just restore the Battle of Bywater to the ROTK extended edition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed on into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water."
-The Return of the King
peony_foxburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 10:23 AM   #16
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

There are definately scenes filmed in the Hobbiton set for the end of the movie. They're mentioned in the director's commentary in the special edition FotR. Obviously we will not be getting Sharky (he'll be long dead by then) but I can't imagine the hobbits just arrive back to The Shire like they were never gone.<P>I can see the Sackville-Bagginses (they were introduced in the special edition) raising havoc at Bag End (Sam: My gardens! - maybe they'll cut down the party tree) and Frodo and company having to rectify the situation. I can even see them amassing a group of followers as they march to Bag End.<P>I can see a lot of the themes in the Scouring of the Shire being picked up for a special edition RotK, but I can't see ruffians or The Battle of Bywater. It's simply too much to set up.<P>H.C.
Old 05-31-2003, 05:37 PM   #17
Gildor15
Pile O'Bones

Sting

I think TealGuy4 gave a very good reason it should be left out. I'm not going to stop hoping for some of it to be on the special edition dvd.
Old 06-01-2003, 02:42 PM   #18
Beleglas
Pile O'Bones

Beleglas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm sorry but I'ld rather see the rest of the book implemented without too much haste instead of everything too fast and the scouring. After all, what does it add to the story of the ring? Of course it ties up some loose ends but that isn't too vital.<BR>I think the scouring should be left out for the same reason Tom Bombadil was left out, it's nice but costs a lot of time and doesn't add much to the story.
Beleglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 05:15 AM   #19
Frodo 007
Haunting Spirit

Location: Wellington, New Zealand (Middle-Earth Baby Yeah!!!)
Frodo 007 has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I can't believe there gonna leave it out either!!! I LOVE that chapter!!!It made me cry and it was very touching