The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-27-2002, 05:33 PM   #1
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

Carlas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Carlas
Sting Favourite track on TTT soundtrack

Hey everyone! Whats your favourite song on the soundtrack? I like gollums song because its so pretty and the performer has a wonderful voice.
Old 12-27-2002, 06:16 PM   #2
Eldawen of Lorien
Pile O'Bones

Eldawen of Lorien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I love the Riders of Rohan, the King of the Golden Hall, Helm's Deep, and Forth Eorlings. I love how the music fits in with everything and captures the feeling of Rohan.
Eldawen of Lorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 06:49 PM   #3
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril

I just got the soundtrack today, and already I think I have favorites. I like Evenstar, Riders of Rohan, King of the Golden Hall, the White Rider, and especially Gollum's Song. The last I think really captures the misery and pitiful past of that poor Smeagol...
Ithaeliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 06:59 PM   #4
Dorathain_Flamesword
Animated Skeleton

Location: U.S. Though Middle-Earth, Ireland or New Zealand would suit me. I am 50% Irish.
Dorathain_Flamesword has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My fav is Gollum's Song, but I love the ones they do with the violin.<P>It is an awesome track.
Even as they spoke there came a blare of trumpets. Then there was a crash and a flash of flame and smoke. The waters of the Deeping-stream poured out hissing and foaming: they were choked no longer, a gaping hole was blasted in the wall. A host of dark shapes poured in. "Devilry of Saruman!" cried Aragorn. -Helm's Deep.
Dorathain_Flamesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 07:38 PM   #5
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I am listening to TTT soundtrack right now <P>My personal favorites are, "the riders of Rohan","Evenstar", "The Leave Taking", "Isengard Unleashed", and "Samwise the Brave"<P>Sorry but I am not much of a fan of "Gollum's Song", I think the lyrics are cool, but it is just not my kind of song.
Old 12-27-2002, 07:43 PM   #6
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dûm

Faye Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Faye Took
Sting

Oh I love them all. But I especially like Evenstar, and Gollums song.
Faye Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 11:11 PM   #7
PeregrinTook
Animated Skeleton

PeregrinTook has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Oh my! Choices, choices, so many choices! I think my favourites are 'The Riders of Rohan', 'The Passage of the Marshes', 'The King of the Golden Hall', 'Evenstar', 'Helm's Deep', 'Breath of Life', 'Forth Eorlingas', 'Isengard Unleashed', and 'Samwise the Brave'. I really didn't like 'Gollum's Song' much; I mean, the lyrics are fine, but... I dunno... call me crazy.
Old 12-29-2002, 07:30 AM   #8
mollecon
Wight

mollecon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Dorathain - that instrument isn't a violin, not quite; <P>In the Rohan theme: <P>It's actually a Hardangerfela = Hardanger violin/fiddle - it's a Norwegian folk music instrument. Violin like, but a bit bigger as I recall (more like a viola?) & with extra strings attached underneath to provide extra sound & volume. There are probably other differences as well, but I'll leave that to experts.
mollecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 04:56 PM   #9
Maltagaerion
Haunting Spirit

Maltagaerion has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I'm discovering that the more I listen to the soundtrack, the more in love with it I become. The whole thing is just beautiful. I'm going to have to go with the whole Rohan theme as my favorite. That theme evokes emotions in me that I can't even describe!
Old 12-29-2002, 05:05 PM   #10
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

I LOVE that music! The whole thing is beautiful, absolutely beautiful, and it's hard to choose a favorite. I love the Rohan theme, but I love tracks 15, 16 and 17 a lot. I love the marching music with the Lothlorien style music in 15 and the marching of the Ents in 17, and when Haldir dies in 16, and...I could go on and on. The Rohan music is so sad and noble at the same time, it is really beautiful. It's hard to put my thoughts about the music into words. *sniff* It's so beautiful! *cry, cry* Okay, I'm fine.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 05:41 PM   #11
Coral
Haunting Spirit

Location: The wonderful (That was sarcastic) State of Maryland...
Coral has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Coral
Sting

Your all too emotional! Especially you Durelin! Anyways, I love the soundtrack, my favorite track is Gollum's song...It's just creepy...
Old 12-29-2002, 05:51 PM   #12
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

Oh come on Coral! You know me, so emotional, I always cry and movies! HELLO! You know how often I am SARCASTIC! My life is filled with endless sarcasm. Anyway, I also liked Gollum's Song and I agree with you Coral, it's creepy and you've always like creepy. Go put black eye shadow under your eyes and bite someone on the neck you pipher! Sorry, back to the subject, I was thinking about how out of order the tracks are, I k now that movie soundtracks aren't usually in order but TFOTR soundtrack was pretty much in order! 16 is the end of Helms Deep but then in 17 it has the music where Haldir dies! I'm pretty sure that's what that music is, please correct me if I am wrong, except you Coral! Like my knew sig?
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 06:24 PM   #13
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

Carlas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Carlas
Sting

I love the rohan stuff aswell, its so enjoyable. Dont worry Durelin, im very emotional too, but in a way that i laugh at everything. Being happy is an emotion!!!
Old 12-29-2002, 08:32 PM   #14
PippinSqueak
Pile O'Bones

PippinSqueak has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I love "The King of the Golden Hall", "Evenstar", "Isengard Unleashed", and "Helm's Deep" the most. There are probably more i love, but those were the first ones that came to my mind.
Old 12-29-2002, 08:41 PM   #15
Nevtarmawen Greenleaf
Animated Skeleton

Nevtarmawen Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Gollums song is the best....i've loved it ever since i heard it in the theater. I also like the King in the golden hall, the string part is great!But, gollum's song is still the best...where once was light, now darkness falls, where once was love, love is no more...I already know all the words!
Old 12-29-2002, 11:51 PM   #16
Thulorongil
Haunting Spirit

Thulorongil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Thulorongil
Shield

I adore the Rohan theme! My friend was so excited, because she plays the viola, I play the French horn, and we're always debating which one is better (I actually like them both....hope QCR isn't reading this!). But we both love Rohan and she was eager to rub it in my face!<P>I think the lyrics to Gollum's song are interesting. They show his struggle between Slinker and Stinker.
Old 12-31-2002, 11:59 AM   #17
the mortal elf
Wight

the mortal elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to the mortal elf
Tolkien

Thulorongil--The french horn is better! (go brass!) Does anyone else who plays an instrument try to figure out how to play these songs? I can play the theme for FotR and the Rohan theme on my trombone <P>Anyway, back to the topic. I'm in love with Gollum's song, The Riders of Rohan, and King of the Golden Hall, but my favorite is Forth Eorlingas (too bad they couldn't stick the horn of Helm Hammerhand in there: It was awesome )
Old 12-31-2002, 02:37 PM   #18
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

I love this soundtrack even more than FotR, I think. Well, I love them both, but right now TTT is all fresh and new in my mind, so I love it more at the moment. My favorites:<P><UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI> Evenstar (heartbreaking and beautiful!)<BR><LI> Isengard Unleashed (ditto! Also very powerful).<BR><LI> The Rohan Theme whenever it plays.<BR><LI> Gollum's Song. I just love how haunting it is! The hauntinger the better. <BR></UL><P>I'm listening to it right now.
Old 12-31-2002, 08:47 PM   #19
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I got TTT soundtrack today, and I have to say my favorite with no doubt is 'Samwise the Brave.' I'm wondering what Sam is going to do that calls for such sad music. Don't tell me! I might get to see the movie Thursday...<P>I also liked Helm's Deep... it also seemed to have some sad and beautiful music in it... I wonder what it could be?<P>Personally I didn't like Gollum's song. My brothers and I all agreed that it didn't sound very LOTRish. But that's just our opinion, of course. <P>I hope the movie is as good as the music!<P>~Nurumaiel
Old 12-31-2002, 09:17 PM   #20
gollum*elf*pup
Shade of Carn Dûm

gollum*elf*pup has just left Hobbiton.
I love the soundtrack! I really like all the songs. Gollum's song was so creepy...ahhh. And Evenstar is so beautiful...it makes me fall asleep . Oh well.
Old 12-31-2002, 10:50 PM   #21
ambi
Pile O'Bones

ambi has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

did anyone apart from me like the tune after the horn of Rivendell in Helm's Deep?
Old 01-01-2003, 12:29 PM   #22
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I liked it all but I think that Gollum's song is my favourite.
Old 01-01-2003, 08:53 PM   #23
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril

Did anyone also like "Treebeard?" I thought the oboe part was perfect for the kind of dark but peaceful mood of Fangorn. It almost seemed like it was true classical and not from a movie at all. Howard Shore did really well!<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> It's actually a Hardangerfela <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I thought it sounded a wee bit unusual! Violins don't have that sweeter tone to them. I love Hardanger fiddles; I'm going to have to learn to play one someday.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Does anyone else who plays an instrument try to figure out how to play these songs?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <P>Yep! I can play the Rohan theme on my violin too; it's quite simple, but it's beautiful all the same. The great thing is, my orchestra teacher is a fan of LotR too, so she's letting me and a few of my classmates do an ensemble featuring an arrangement of "In Dreams" from FotR! i'm so excited!<p>[ January 01, 2003: Message edited by: Ithaeliel ]
Ithaeliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 01:10 AM   #24
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

As much as I love the Rohan theme, the Evenstar Theme, and the Breath of Life theme... my favorite track is "Samwise the Brave". This is because Howard Shore, ever-so-brilliant, used the theme from "The Breaking of the Fellowship" in it & that music gets me every time!!!!<P>I have learned how to play "May It Be" and "Concerning Hobbits" on my tin whistle
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 10:20 PM   #25
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

Gollum's song is my favorite because Smeagol is my favorite character. although i do sometimes put the riders of rohan and the ones with the violin with it on repeat because i just LOVE the violin music.
Old 01-02-2003, 10:41 PM   #26
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

Tigerlily,<BR>Yay! Another person who plays LOTR songs on a tin whistle. Unfortunately the tin whistle I use mysteriously disappeared so I haven't been able to practice. And I had only gotten so far as to learn the beginning of Concerning Hobbits (also the tune to In Dreams).<P>You also like Samwise the Brave... do you like acting? If you like acting then we have a LOT in common.<P>***<P>I saw the movie today and every track in the soundtrack has become even better with the memory of the movie lingering in my mind...<P>Wow, it seems that a lot of people like Gollum's Song. I like it okay as a song, but not as a <I>LOTR</I> song, if you take my meaning. Like I said before, it doesn't sound very LOTRish. If it were any other movie in the world, the song would have worked. But.... ah well, just my opinion.<P>The Evenstar, was very pretty, but I also liked the song in Old English (the track Breath Of Life, wasn't it?). Of course I like all songs in languages like that.<P>~Nurumaiel
Old 01-02-2003, 10:46 PM   #27
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

what does this mean:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Aia María quanta Eruanno i Héru as elye · aistana elye imíca nísi : ar aistana i yáve mónalyo Yésus : Aire María Eruo ontaril á hyame rámen úcarindor sí ar lúmesse ya firuvamme : násie :
Old 01-02-2003, 11:12 PM   #28
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

After listening to the Soundtrack over, and over, and over again, I've grown a liking for Evenstar, Treebeard, Isengard Unleased, Gollums Song, The Riders of Rohan, The Forbidden Pool, and Breath of Life. I have a question though. What song does The Ents, and The Missing lyrics go to?
Old 01-02-2003, 11:25 PM   #29
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

I remember how impossible it was to answer this question for FOTR, and it's the same way this time.<P>I suppose my favorites would be Foundations of Stone and Samwise the Brave. I also love some of the awesome vocals in the marshes, and Forth Eorlingas is up there too.<P>It's hard to pick favorites when they're all so great. Howard Shore, you da man!!!
Old 01-03-2003, 12:33 AM   #30
pherostien
Animated Skeleton

pherostien has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I loved this soundtrack much more than the first. I like gollum's song the most. my friends think I am a bit wierd since I mumble some of the lyrics at wierd moments. now that I think about it I use we instead of I... something's wrong with me.
Old 01-03-2003, 12:53 AM   #31
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR><BR>You also like Samwise the Brave... do you like acting? If you like acting then we have a LOT in common.<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Gee, I hope I like acting since that is my career If I didn't then I am in for years of misery... well, I could be anyways because it's really hard work! <BR>I guess we do have a lot in common. <P>Did anyone else notice how out of order some of the tracks are on the CD? I was trying to figure out where the music fit in the movie & then I realized that it's kinda out of order.<BR>For example: The music that is played when Theoden takes his sword is the music at the end of "The Riders of Rohan". The music for Haldir's death comes after "Forth Eorlingas".<P>Well, all in all, it works out well, so it's not a complaint just an observation.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 09:10 AM   #32
mollecon
Wight

mollecon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I didn't notice the change of order Tigerlily - maybe it was done to improve the soundtrack as a piece of music independent of the movie?
mollecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 09:42 AM   #33
Arien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Arien
Silmaril

I have 3 favourites..<BR>~Gollums song<BR>~The king of the Golden Hall<BR>~Evenstar.............<P>actually I kinda like Foundations of Stone..... I dont know the music kind of reaches something deep inside of me....
Old 01-03-2003, 01:20 PM   #34
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

Yes, I also noticed the tracks seemed out of order.<P>I'm not sure if I'm correct, but it seems that The Missing comes in Breath Of Life, and The Ents in Isengard Unleashed.<P>Oh ho, Tigerlily, so you're an actress? That's what I'm <I>planning</I> to do since I love it so much. But I also want to direct movies.<P>In reply to maikafanawen's question, my signature is the <I>Hail Mary</I> in Quenya, being that I'm a Notre Dame fan as well as a Catholic. <P>~Nurumaiel
Old 01-03-2003, 02:55 PM   #35
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Thank you, Nurumaiel. I wish they would have said which lyrics go to which. <P>OoOoOo...I'm an actress too! I'm trying out for Helena in A Midsummer Night's Dream in our school Shakespeare Festival. I really hope I get the part .
Old 01-03-2003, 08:03 PM   #36
the mortal elf
Wight

the mortal elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to the mortal elf
Tolkien

Yay! Other people play LotR! Ithaeliel--You are sooo lucky! I wish I had that kind of opportunity. I just can't find the sheet music anywhere. And I'm sure In Dreams and the Rohan theme sound better on a violin than a trombone . I just recently picked out the Uruk-Hai's theme too. And it sounds really cool, since I can make a nice blatty brass sound
Old 01-03-2003, 09:51 PM   #37
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

Good luck Faye! Cool, I played Hippolyta in that play a couple years ago! <P>I've been trying to figure out that very question about "The Missing" in <A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=001618" TARGET=_blank>this thread.</A> I listened very closely to both "Evenstar" and "Breath of Life", but can't seem to make the lyrics fit with either. I suppose, though, that if I had to stake my life to it, I'd guess "Breath of Life" (then I'd close my eyes and wait for death to come...).
Old 01-04-2003, 06:11 AM   #38
Alex Chamois
Animated Skeleton

Alex Chamois has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I thought it sounded a wee bit unusual! Violins don't have that sweeter tone to them. I love Hardanger fiddles<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I second that! A few of us were trying to pick that (fantastic) instrument. Thanks mollecon. <P>A great move by Howard Shore, too, if it was his decision, furthering the viking flavour
Alex Chamois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 10:27 AM   #39
dunedain_aragorn
Animated Skeleton

dunedain_aragorn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

#6 KING OF THE GOLDEN HALL. that music is from my fave part in the movie. the part where the little flag flutters down and aragorn goes by it, it is just OOZING symbolism! the music is so awesome, i cant help listening to it all day!
"I must take leave, I have not slept since Dunnharrow, and I am weary."said Aragorn. Merry seized his hand and kissed it."I am frightfully sorry, we have been a nuisance to you since Bree." Aragorn laughed and left them. "Was there ever any like him?" said Pippin,"Except for Gandalf of course. I believe they must be related."
dunedain_aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 10:32 AM   #40
Nevtarmawen Greenleaf
Animated Skeleton

Nevtarmawen Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

My favorites are the king of the golden hall and gollums song. I already know all the words and when I went to see the movie for the 3rd time, my cousin and I stayed afterwards and sang the song!