Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-31-2002, 02:17 AM   #11
Adanedhel
Animated Skeleton

Adanedhel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

As the morning sun rose Rira stood topside already smoking his pipe and puffing long, grey circles into the air, he peered out ahead of the boat then moving back to the cabin wheel and took hold of it his hands loosely steering the ship as though it was an extention of his body.
As the occupants of the ship rose for breakfast the Captain was surprised at how well the different races on the ship seemed to get along as though there were no barriers. This made the him think as they must have been through some tough and certainly testing times for them to break down such barriers.

He shrugged and let the thought slip from his mind as two of the Men from Dale came topside and he watched with curiosty as one seemed to hold himself as though he was someone very important or great, Rira stroked the stubble on his chin and the long scar that ran along his cheek from a Corsair's dagger. As he ran his index finger along the reddish and raised scar he thought 'A Corsair that never returned home'

Rira stopped stroking the scar and turned his eyes back to the river, he watched the currents and from memory judged the width and depth of the river ahead, with these thoughts he yelled out to Bram:

'First Mate Bram! Full sails! We have a deep section of the river ahead and wish to take advantage of the fact'

Rira listened with smile as Bram relayed the message perfectly and Men and Elves ran to perform the task, climbing rigging and untying ropes. He looked up at the clear azzure sky and tried to judge how long the wind would last.

'Hmmmm, a few hours at the most'

He said stroking his chin, then he heard.

'What would?'

The Captain turned hiding his surprisement to see Bram standing next to him watching the crew carry out the tasks given not 30 seconds ago by the Captain, he took the pipe from his mouth and said.

'The wind. With this wind we may even get to Lorien quicker than i thought'

He still looked at the sky trying to decipher if any bad weather was coming, and to his dissapointment he saw to the west he saw dark clouds just above the tree tops, he puffed three times in quick sucession on his pipe a frown creasing his brow.

'We have a storm coming, maybe in the next day or so. It looks like it could cause trouble so i want everything tied down, including anything in the cabins themselves, this river is dangerous in bad weather and i don't want to risk lives or equipment'

He looked over at Bram, who was nodding slightly and stroking an irregular bump on his nose.

'See that it's done by dusk today'

The Captain said sweeping his eyes over the deck and locating all the people on the deck and what they were doing. He saw two Elves and a Dwarf sitting on boxes and talking idle chatter near the anchor release and a Man from Dale dealing cards to a group consisting of Elves and Dwarves.
Rira turned to Bram and asked.

'I have been watching your crew and I have noticed that they all get along very well....'

He puffed on his pipe twice and blew two dark rings into the air, watching them disappear into the air.

'How was is that such a diverse group can get along without fighting or arguements between them?

[ November 08, 2002: Message edited by: Adanedhel ]

-Henry V