The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2006, 10:09 PM   #1
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Tolkien Comical Parts

What parts in The Lord of the Rings do you find comical? This is so far my favorite:

As the Company from Helm's Deep emerges from the Forest of Huorns that consumed the Uruks:

"Legolas halted and looked back with regret. Then he gave a sudden cry.

There are eyes! he said. Eyes looking out from the shadows of the boughs! I never saw such eyes before.

The others, surprised by his cry, halted and turned; but Legolas started to ride back.

No, no! cried Gimli. Do as you please in your madness, but let me first get down from this horse! I wish to see no eyes!"

(The Two Towers, The Road to Isengard)

Makes me laugh everytime! Especially the "do what you will in your madness" line. I just picture Legolas taking off with poor Gimli there.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:30 PM   #2
Naria
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Naria has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Naria
I absolutely love the part where Gimli and Legolas are keeping a "kill count" atop of Helms Deep. I laugh everytime....hehehe*wipes a tear from an eye*
Old 07-21-2006, 01:45 PM   #3
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
The part that has always been my favorite and will possibly always be my favorite, in terms of light humor, was Eomer and Gimli's dispute over Galadriel.

Quote:
And before he went to his rest he sent for Gimli the Dwarf, and he said to him: 'Gimli Gloin's son, have you your axe ready?'

'Nay, lord,' said Gimli, 'but I can speedily fetch it, if there be need.'

'You shall judge,' said Eomer. 'For there are certain rash words concerning the Lady of the Golden Wood that lie still between us. And now I have seen her with my eyes.'

'Well, lord, said Gimli, 'and what say you now?'

'Alas!' said Eomer. 'I will not say that she is the fairest lady that lives.'

'Then I must go for my axe.'
They fought a hard battle and became dear friends. They have triumphed over evil and have formed an unbreakable bond. I smile every time at the cordiality of the death threat.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:10 PM   #4
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

Notice all of these scenes involve Gimli...Jackson did it right!
Old 07-21-2006, 07:40 PM   #5
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Thumbs up

Well, my favourite comic part in Tolkien is not in Lord of the Rings; it is in the essay On Fairy-Stories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolkien
But what of the banana skin? Our business with it really only begins when it has been rejected by historians. It is more useful when it has been thrown away.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:05 PM   #6
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Oh! oh! oh!

Quote:
Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbits:

'Right,' said Sam. 'I does ask. And if that isn't nice enough, I begs.
And all the rest of that conversation!!

-- Folwren
Old 07-22-2006, 03:45 AM   #7
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Interestingly, most of my favourite comical scenes involve Legolas.

Quote:
Farewell! I go find the sun!

A plague on Dwarves and their stiff necks.

Time wears on, and the mists are blowing away, or would if you strange folk did not wreathe yourselves in smoke.
Maybe they're not that comical, but they make me smiles every time I read them.

Another one is the disarming before Meduseld:
"Foolishness! Prudence is one thing, but discourtesy is another." - priceless

But my absolute favourite is the three young hobbits who go treasure-seeking in Frodo's cellar. It is so ludicrous a picture if you visualise this.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 11:19 AM   #8
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macalaure
"Time wears on, and the mists are blowing away, or would if you strange folk did not wreathe yourselves in smoke."
hahaha I also love this one!
Old 07-22-2006, 12:16 PM   #9
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dûm

ninja91 has just left Hobbiton.
I always love the parts where you know Sam would just like to beat the living snot out of Gollum, and Gollum acts all helpless and pitiful.
The rider was robed all in black, and black was his lofty helm; yet this was no Ringwraith but a living man. The Lieutenant of the Tower of Barad-dûr he was, and his name is remembered in no tale; for he himself had forgotten it...
ninja91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 11:31 AM   #10
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

Just to add, I realized that my favorite comical part involves Legolas too. I don't think Legolas even intended what he said to be funny....which makes it even more comical.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:44 PM   #11
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macalaure
But my absolute favourite is the three young hobbits who go treasure-seeking in Frodo's cellar. It is so ludicrous a picture if you visualise this.
That is funny! As is the humorous thought of Frodo actually having a tussle with one of them!

Another part that makes me chuckle is this:

Quote:
'You'll live to regret it, young fellow! Why didn't you go too? You don't belong here; you're no Baggins-you-you're a Brandybuck!'

'Did you hear that, Merry? That was an insult, if you like,' said Frodo as he shut the door on her.

'It was a compliment,' said Merry Brandybuck, 'and so, of course, not true.'
Also. . .

Quote:
'Come in! Come in! I thought it was Lobelia.'

'Then I forgive you,' said Gandalf. 'But I saw her some time ago, driving a pony-trap towards Bywater with a face that could have curdled new milk.'

'She had already nearly curdled me.'
Old 07-28-2006, 02:42 AM   #12
Glaurung
Pile O'Bones

Glaurung has just left Hobbiton.
In LotR there is one passage that always makes me if not laugh, then at least smile.
Quote:
'Dark ways, doubtless,' said Gimli, 'but no darker than these staves are to me.'
Or this one, also (suprisingly) by Gimli:
Quote:
'Since Gandalf's head is now sacred, let us find one that is right to cleave!'
But, though all my favourite comical parts involve Gimli, I think Jackson has made Gimli far too humorous a character. It takes all the point away of the comical part of Gimli's nature.. At least so it seems to me.
Glaurung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 05:40 AM   #13
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewM
I don't think Legolas even intended what he said to be funny....which makes it even more comical.
I'm pretty sure he does. Tolkien gave Legolas the quite subtle and ironic humour that you would expect of a lighthearted and old (in mortal eyes) elf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glaurung
But, though all my favourite comical parts involve Gimli, I think Jackson has made Gimli far too humorous a character. It takes all the point away of the comical part of Gimli's nature.. At least so it seems to me.
The problem is, I think, that in the book we laugh with Gimli, in the movie we (are supposed to) laugh about him.

Oh! Oh! And nobody mentioned Merry and Pippin at the gate of Isengard, yet.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 06:18 AM   #14
zifnab
Shade of Carn Dûm

zifnab has just left Hobbiton.
Not LOTR, but it works.

I usually find secondary characters to lighten the mood.

Quote:
"Hullo!" said Beorn. "You came pretty quick - where were you hiding? Come on my jack-in-the-boxes!"
- The Hobbit

But don't even get me going on Tom.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:57 AM   #15
Mirkgirl
Haunting Spirit

Mirkgirl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Skype™ to Mirkgirl
Yeah, true about Gimli - but you can't really transfer such effect on a movie screen. But you CAN go too far in aiming at comic relief, as I believe PJ did.

Naturally, my siggy brings a smile on my face every time (:

All time favourite would probably be: 'Eavesdropping, sir? I don't follow you, begging your pardon. There ain't no eaves at Bag End, and that's a fact.'

Most of what I find funny otherwise is either from the younger hobbits or from Gandalf

"A pawn did Gandalf say? Perhaps but on the wrong chessboard.'"

"'A most unquenchable hobbit! All Wizards should have a hobbit or two in their care - to teach them the meaning of the word, and to correct them. "

"'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' "

"PPPS. I hope Butterbur sends this promptly. A worthy man, but his memory is like a lumber-roam: thing wanted always buried. If he forgets, I shall roast him. "

and many more (many of which were already mentioned!)
"Hobbits! Well, what next? I have heard of strange doings in this land, but I have seldom heard of a hobbit sleeping out of doors under a tree. Three of them! There's something mighty queer behind this."
Mirkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 08:02 PM   #16
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirkgirl

"PPPS. I hope Butterbur sends this promptly. A worthy man, but his memory is like a lumber-roam: thing wanted always buried. If he forgets, I shall roast him. "[/I]
HAHAHA I've always loved that one as well.

I find the comedy in Gimli in PJ's films A-OK, at least in my book. It wasn't a drastic negative for me.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:30 AM   #17
SarumanCymraeg
Pile O'Bones

SarumanCymraeg has just left Hobbiton.
For some reason I always smile at the though of Lobelia Sackville-Baggins stealing spoons from Bag End ...
Old 08-14-2006, 07:33 PM   #18
Texadan
Animated Skeleton

Texadan has just left Hobbiton.
I always find Gandalf's shout to the hobbits when the wolves attack on the hilltop to be funny. I can hardly say, "Fling fuel on the fire" when I'm *not* under attack.
Texadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 03:43 AM   #19
Melilot Brandybuck
Animated Skeleton

Melilot Brandybuck has just left Hobbiton.
I like it when the Fellowship enters Lorien and the elves tell them that they could hear them breathing a mile away. So when Sam climbs the tree to the flet, he gets all self-conscious and practices breathing as quietly as he can.

A hobbit climbing a tree and trying not to breathe loudly - now that's funny.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:55 AM   #20
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Pipe The best I can do without a crib

Goldberry and Tom have a nice line in facetious humour. Each time someone asks who Tom Bombadil is, they manage to answer without answering, so in answer to "Who is Tom Bombadil?" Goldberry simply indicates which person present is Tom Bombadil: "He is." Tom himself simply answers: "Don't you know my name yet? That's the only answer". Cruel but funny.

I've gone on record that A Long-Expected Party is full of excellent social comedy, but I particularly like this comment: "Bilbo was doing splendidly. This was the sort of stuff they liked: short and obvious."