The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-04-2010, 10:41 AM   #4681
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
Thanks. I bet I just cracked up at the very same line as you two did.
Can't imagine what that might have been...
Old 12-04-2010, 11:16 AM   #4682
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
I saw the same trailer and had exactly the same reaction as you all.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:59 PM   #4683
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
We totally cracked up when this trailer came up (hadn't seen it before!)
Is it just me, or do Lovers make it all much more complicated?
Old 12-19-2010, 06:16 PM   #4684
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
The list we have is a bit confusing (go look at the previous page), but I think I'm not too much stretching it if I say it would be my turn now...

Anyway, we should consider the Christmas holidays eg. we probably shouldn't think of beginning a game before the holidays are over.

How are your scheduals? Should we try to begin the next one before the New Year - or should we postpone it to the beginning of January?

I was thinking about a fairly ordinary game for a change. I mean really, a basic game.

So what do you think?
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:50 AM   #4685
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
I was thinking about a fairly ordinary game for a change. I mean really, a basic game.

So what do you think?
Hey Nog, did you ever do a philosophy-themed game? Perhaps I missed it.

Basic game sounds good and, to be honest, I can play anytime - holiday or no.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:59 AM   #4686
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elronds_daughter has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim View Post
Basic game sounds good and, to be honest, I can play anytime - holiday or no.
Seconded.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:51 PM   #4687
Mänwe
Shade of Carn Dûm

Mänwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Mänwe
Well it's been..oh at least two years since i've played- i'd be up for offering myself up as lupine fodder whenever it suits the majority.
- (Letter #124 To Sir Stanley Unwin)
Mänwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 03:05 PM   #4688
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mänwe View Post
Well it's been..oh at least two years since i've played- i'd be up for offering myself up as lupine fodder whenever it suits the majority.
Hey, if this is not a wraith from the deep past - welcome back! Not sure if you remember me, but I remember you from my very first game (which was seemingly your last?). Anyway, great to see you around - hope to play with you sometime, while you are here...

That said, concerning the debate above, I probably won't be playing if any game is going on during the holiday, but after the New Year, maybe...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 03:06 PM   #4689
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Cool! Welcome back.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:08 PM   #4690
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
[/lurk]

A basic game after Christmas? I'd like to be in!
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:40 PM   #4691
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
The holiday isn't going to matter much for me either. Sign me up whenever.
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:00 AM   #4692
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I'm good for during or after the holidays.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:54 AM   #4693
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

I haven't been on in ages. I'm rusty. But I'd like to join in the next game if room is still available.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:30 AM   #4694
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitanna View Post
I haven't been on in ages. I'm rusty. But I'd like to join in the next game if room is still available.
Ooh, I know who I'm voting for.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:33 AM   #4695
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Silmaril

I'm in, next couple weeks are wide open for me, perfect time for a game!
Old 12-21-2010, 09:02 AM   #4696
Nessa Telrunya
Shade of Carn Dûm

Nessa Telrunya is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via AIM to Nessa Telrunya
I'm down for a game anytime.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:08 AM   #4697
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
So a basic game after Christmas? Starting the next week that is?

I'd say we go for that.

I'll come up with a thread for any discussions any day now (as I just come up with a name for the game).

So good to see unexpected veterans showing around!
Old 12-21-2010, 04:11 PM   #4698
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim View Post
Hey Nog, did you ever do a philosophy-themed game? Perhaps I missed it.
Well we had this game of Psychotic Penguins with Lommy (the first one we ever modded) back in 2006 where I was responsible for the Night-kills. .. They did include "body and soul separated by Cartesian Dualism" and "brains exploded after entering a vicious regression concerning the possible infiniteness of self-reflective consciousness"

But yes, it wasn't actually a theme in a strong way... I'll try to come up with one this time. Maybe I'll make you all as famous philosophers and throw you in the Middle-Earth?

Old 12-21-2010, 04:27 PM   #4699
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
But yes, it wasn't actually a theme in a strong way... I'll try to come up with one this time. Maybe I'll make you all as famous philosophers and throw you in the Middle-Earth?
No!!! Please don't do that, otherwise I'd be really really really really disappointed if I have to miss that one!!!

(I mean, just the very idea gets my brain spinning...)
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 12-21-2010, 04:32 PM   #4700
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
*raises hand and snaps his fingers*
Please, sir, me too!

Quote:
I'll try to come up with one this time. Maybe I'll make you all as famous philosophers and throw you in the Middle-Earth?

Rock'n'roll!

EDIT: x-ed with Legate, and in this case, I have to second his appeal - we can't do this without him!
Old 12-21-2010, 04:42 PM   #4701
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
No!!! Please don't do that, otherwise I'd be really really really really disappointed if I have to miss that one!!!
Let's see if you guys could be able to join even if you're here Legate...

On general terms, it will take some days to get the "roster" full, especially as the holidays are coming, so I'd be surprised if we'd start anywhere like early next week. It will probably take around the New Year to start. And if people thought it a good idea we could make a a longer D/N -circle around the New Year to ease any New Year's partying.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:06 PM   #4702
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Shield

Quote:
Well we had this game of Psychotic Penguins with Lommy (the first one we ever modded) back in 2006 where I was responsible for the Night-kills. .. They did include "body and soul separated by Cartesian Dualism" and "brains exploded after entering a vicious regression concerning the possible infiniteness of self-reflective consciousness"
YES!

It's not such a crazy idea. Did you ever see the list of 'philosophy deaths' that was going around the internet? My favourite was: Thales - drowned.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:50 PM   #4703
Mänwe
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
And if people thought it a good idea we could make a a longer D/N -circle around the New Year to ease any New Year's partying.
Well turns out i'll now be spending New Years in London and so won't be around the net from the 29th til the 5th, so count me out of any earlish starts!

@ Legate, Lómi, good to see you both again.

Legate, I remember you more for your other posts around the forum then that particularly WW game..it being my last (and first too!) was due to unpleasant circumstances!

Last edited by Mänwe; 12-22-2010 at 04:51 AM. Reason: corrections
Old 12-21-2010, 05:57 PM   #4704
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

The starting date will be decided when we have enough players, but I'll put you down in as a maybe for now... It would be fun to see you in a game after a long pause to be sure.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:43 AM   #4705
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Legate, I remeber you more for your other posts around the forum then that particularly WW game..it being my last (and first too!) was due to unpleasant circumstances!
True, true, I remember you mostly from elsewhere too, but Werewolf-wise, since it was my first game, I still have you in fresh memory, even though it was rather short.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:32 PM   #4706
Mänwe
Shade of Carn Dûm

It was short..and I hope in the future I can reprise my role as WW and kill some of you!
Old 12-22-2010, 05:00 PM   #4707
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
It was short..and I hope in the future I can reprise my role as WW and kill some of you!
No comment. But, hey, it wasn't my fault... whatever
Old 01-08-2011, 06:56 AM   #4708
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Boots

Yes, I know it's pitiful to start posting on this thread within a day of your death in the most recent game.

And yes, I know Nog's game is probably going to still go on for some time.

But I'm still posting here, because unless someone knows more than I do, we are rather ignorant as for the modding list. And somebody has to mod after Nog and it would be good if they had time to plan.

So, who's next?

The ones whom I can see expressing interest lately-ish but haven't modded are
Wilwa and Glirdan
Sally
Folwren
Rikae

Does any of you want to mod next?

Are there any new volunteers?
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:14 PM   #4709
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
There are people ahead of me on the list, but I have an idea for a basic game. February would mark the six-month period since I last modded, so it should work out.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:39 PM   #4710
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I have an idea for a game I've been working on. So... go ahead and add me to the list - I don't have any particular time I want to mod.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:29 PM   #4711
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tell you what, I can start thinking of a game idea, and then I'll be willing to mod the game after the game after Nogrods. So, that means, Nogrod's game ends, then someone else mods, then I'll mod...however, I request the priviledge of withdrawing my name if this semester of school ends up being another overload, like last semester was. I'll know by the time the game after Nogrod's is half over, I imagine.

Will that work?

-- Folwren
Old 01-11-2011, 07:07 AM   #4712
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Wilwa and I still need to work out some kinks in the game we wanted to mod, but havnen't been able to due to a brand new work schedule for me that jumps all over the place and thus making it rather difficult to co=ordinate with her seeing as she is also working and in school. Oh, and I currently have no laptop as the cord for the charger decided to fray on me. I'm currently on my significant others computer whilst he is working, and trust me, this won't happen often (*mutters about WOW and other non-sensical games that take lives away from reality * )
Old 01-13-2011, 03:30 PM   #4713
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Am I still on for January? I suppose that makes me next. I have some planning to do, but I should be able to start in a few days if I put my mind to it.
If not, I don't foresee being able to do it any time this year, actually.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:19 AM   #4714
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
In spite of the overwhelming response, I'm going to have to bow out. Someone else take the next game.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:39 PM   #4715
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae View Post
In spite of the overwhelming response, I'm going to have to bow out. Someone else take the next game.
My response was mental! It was "Yes, Rikae should host, that's exciting!"
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Old 01-15-2011, 02:50 PM   #4716
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Oh, Rikae... I have already mentally signed into your game.

But expect me to be in when your game is on.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:07 PM   #4717
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Well, I'll do it if people want to play... it looked like no one did right now & I would need to get started quickly, to finish before the semester starts.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:10 PM   #4718
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Mental response: "Yay yay yay Rikae is modding and I probably have time to play!"
Old 01-15-2011, 03:42 PM   #4719
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
I will definitely play Rikae. Provided work doesn't interfere
Old 01-15-2011, 04:14 PM   #4720
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae View Post
Well, I'll do it if people want to play... it looked like no one did right now & I would need to get started quickly, to finish before the semester starts.
Oh I definitely want to play.