The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2007, 04:52 PM   #1921
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
war, people dying too young, people jumping out infront of trains. . .this month in general.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 08:44 PM   #1922
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Work problems being about people instead of the problems.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 09:15 AM   #1923
Elfchick7
Wight

Elfchick7 has just left Hobbiton.
Trigonometry
Old 10-25-2007, 09:27 AM   #1924
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Those days where it's not quite raining but it is raining enough that every time you go outside you end up damp and cold because you haven't realised it's quite wet enough for an umbrella. This is especially irritating when you come down from the north to the supposedly sunny south and it springs grey clouds and weather like this on you.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:06 AM   #1925
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
End of Daylight Savings. When I get home from work, there's less than an hour of daylight left! No good and makes me very cranky when I have to cut my horse training session short.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:30 AM   #1926
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Net-Servers that crash twice in a week, stopping everything dead. Also, I assign trying to stay busy while the server gets fixed so that when it comes back up everything for the rest of the day is breakneck urgent.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:15 AM   #1927
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Having a cold that just will not quit! I've been sniffing away for over a week now and I'm getting very tired of it.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:15 AM   #1928
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Pulling an all-nighter to write a script that's supposedly due, only to find out that very class has been cancelled.

Aargh! Why couldn't I find this out before I sacrificed my sleep?!

Excuse me while I go back to bed...
Old 11-06-2007, 11:26 AM   #1929
Elfchick7
Wight

A cold that returns in full force every two weeks. *ugh*
Old 11-06-2007, 07:29 PM   #1930
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sore & swelled throats that last for nearly three weeks...and the fact that I can't do my customary & random squeaky voices & singing during this.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:33 AM   #1931
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I assign being late...

I've kept doing it for the last several weeks. I'm always at least a few minutes late for school (or then I arrive right at the minute when the teacher comes). It wouldn't trouble me that much but my absences on the attendance lists may soon look quite troublesome... (We have a system in which you get one absence mark if you're three times late for a lesson - not that bad, I know, in many places you don't even get in if you're late. But not too nice anyways.)
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 06:58 AM   #1932
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
November rain, Walt Whitman, and the word 'fresh.'
Old 11-15-2007, 10:43 AM   #1933
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Our union. They wouldn't give us a table to have our cake sale so we had to set up somewhere else at a moments notice. I wouldn't have minded so much because we were a bit last notice with it, except for the attitude of the guy dealing with us. He was such a very rude word.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:18 PM   #1934
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Maybe it was just him that was something wrong with. . .I mean a union that is not the essense of good, well that is just unheard of.

Anyways I assign this computer for being so damn slow and my self for forgetting to go on the Downs. Maybe I should only assign my memory, but it is easier to assign all of me as I am sure I contain alot of thing belonging in Mordor.

Old 11-24-2007, 06:32 PM   #1935
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I assign socks that are too tight, that you have to fight to get off...maybe I overreact, but I can't stand not being able to remove my socks right now...

Wet clothes are close behind.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 10:24 PM   #1936
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
The car breaking down on the way to a wedding.

And consequently not getting to the castle (yes, castle) in time for the wedding.

*grumble*
Old 11-24-2007, 10:57 PM   #1937
Elfchick7
Wight

Rarely getting to see dear friends and getting to have good conversations with them even less.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:22 AM   #1938
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
This has probably been done before, but I assign Physics. I can never beMordor Physics enough. Even when I think I had understood the basic concepts, I always find myself staring at the problem set, wondering how in the world to solve anything.

I'm sure Sauron himself spent a bit of time effortlessly figuring out what the magnitude and direction of the net electric field is at the summit of Mount Doom due to the charges from his gigantic spotlight up Barad-dûr.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 01:56 PM   #1939
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I assign the exam week and especially Civics.

The most stupid thing I've done for months was to take an extra course of Civics, and even voluntarily. The teacher is very, very old (actually she's going to retire after this period), and the lessons were quite boring. Now I should be studying for the test which is tomorrow, and I don't really know anything about the subject because I spent the lessons in reading books and drawing rather than listening to the teacher. At the moment I wish I could feed my dog with the textbook.

Luckily, I'll have only language exams left after that, and they're always easier.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:07 PM   #1940
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
I assign the exam week and especially Civics.
Now that you've started, I may possibly follow your example. I assign the exam week and Swedish. I really don't feel like studying Swedish right now. (That's why I'm here instead. ) Even though you managed to cheer me up, the idea of your dog eating your book is just too funny.

And I'd also like to assign the person who has smeared this computer screen with her oily fingers. Too bad it's about 50% chance it was me myself. Even though I suspect my sister...
Old 11-25-2007, 02:13 PM   #1941
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Men svenska är ju ett jättekul språk!

I might try to feed it to her after the exam, but I doubt she'd eat it; she's far too selective. But if she will, I promise to take a photo and give it to you so you can look at it every time you study Swedish.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:29 PM   #1942
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

I assign MGP Junior (nordic)

Old 11-27-2007, 12:36 AM   #1943
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
I assign my friend who has gone off somewhere without telling anyone for the past 10 hours, leaving us all wondering where he's gone and starting to worry very much...if he's not in actual trouble, then it was just plain inconsiderate of him.

I also assign my utter inability to write a 5-page history on time...this is my second one this semester, and they've both been late.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:58 AM   #1944
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I assign blizzards!! We just had a small one and DANG!! was it cold. Way too early to have to bundle up with a touque(winter hat for all you non Canadians) and Mitts in November.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:59 AM   #1945
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Talking to an old friend after a long while and realising you hardly have anything in common anymore.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:14 AM   #1946
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Quote:
Talking to an old friend after a long while and realising you hardly have anything in common anymore.
I've had that Lommy. If you want to stay friends what you have to do is find things you can both start to like. It takes a bit more effort, but it was worth it in order to stay friends with the girl who was once my best friend.

I'll assign my ridiculous sleeping pattern. I'm getting fed up of not being able to get to sleep til 5 in the morning.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:09 PM   #1947
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Worrying battling with growing apathy, who's inflating frustration's ego.
That is what I can personally assign to the depths of Mordor with glee.
I imagine others who are reaching the end of their semesters (quarters for other college/uni folks of the world) are feeling the same way.

Quote:
Ouch, know that feeling too. Best bet is to take the advice of Kath, sometimes you can turn things around for the better of you both.

I tried that with an old friend this summer. Didn't really work out exactly since we were both working, but it was nice to talk and know that he's gotten out of all the trouble I'd previously known him for.

~ Ka
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 10:38 AM   #1948
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
I'm going to do this today, nearly, I don't even know the person really, but...
Old 12-05-2007, 01:33 PM   #1949
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Not knowing your aria from your alto...

The complete inability of anyone on my father's side of the family to give or take a competent and coherent message.

I will spare you the tedious details but my aunt rambled so much that it was about 6 phone calls later that I finally discovered that my sister had broken her elbow not her leg in the accident she had originally called to tell me about .... either she needs elocution lessons, I need a hearing test or one of us is going barmy... I know where my bet is going....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace

Last edited by Mithalwen; 12-05-2007 at 01:37 PM.
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 05:21 AM   #1950
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Not being able to sleep for unknown reasons.

Coffee. It tastes bad and I can't drink it without adding heaps of sugar and lots of milk to it.

Being sure you'll be tired when you shouldn't be.

Or maybe I should just say this morning in general.

... and looking at this post, I may assign turning grumpier all the time as well.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:00 AM   #1951
Elfchick7
Wight

Leaf

People in the dorm room above mine who decided that Dance Dance Revolution and Clog Dancing are appropriate at one in the morning.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:05 AM   #1952
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

Elmo has just left Hobbiton.
Sorry I thought you wouldn't mind
Old 12-08-2007, 02:27 AM   #1953
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
My horrible friend, who put me in her horrible post about the bestest looking LotR characters.... which of course I was kinda wondering what you guys were thinking about that, but shes the one who wrote it! ROBI!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-13-2007, 01:09 PM   #1954
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Getting sick during the most critical week of the semester. Having to write a 15 page epic and a 4 page explanation of it by tomorrow morning. It's no fun pulling all-nighters when you're all sniffly and coughing.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:10 AM   #1955
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Discovering just how slow your internet is at home compared to what you had at uni. I'm back to it taking a full minute for a page on the 'Downs to load. That's going to make werewolf interesting.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:55 AM   #1956
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
2 finals within 20 minutes of each other on a Monday morning. Definitely not healthy.
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 06:21 AM   #1957
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Airlines that lose your suitcase.
Looks like I´ll be spending Christmas in my mum´s dressing gown...

Even more Mordorish, airlines that after two days still have NO idea where your suitcase can be, and the fact that going away at Christmas for a fortnight inevitably involves having packed most of one´s most treasured and expensive clothes. Eg my beautiful Ghost collection, carefully amassed over years of careful saving and sales-shopping....probably lost forever into the Cracks of Doom that is Heathrow baggage handling.

*sob* This is the worst Christmas ever.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:38 AM   #1958
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

To Mordor can go staying healthy every day at work for four years running, only to catch cold during Christmas break. Ugh.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:10 PM   #1959
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
That usually happens to me so you have my sympathy Make the most of the festive overload of satsumas, sprouts and parsnips, oh and nuts too - my top tip for colds is in fact peanuts

I send to Mordor not having enough room in my house for all the guests, food and presents. We are doing shifts on space on the settees so the little one does not have to spend all his time in his baby seat!
Old 12-24-2007, 12:23 PM   #1960
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Oh agreed lmp, half our house is ill!