The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2007, 10:00 PM   #1801
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
I was not offended by what you wrote Lommy. . . .

Everytime I see that someone has posted in the typo-thread I just get nervouse and start thinking "it is probably me again". For the last 6 months I just chose to ignore the thread, but for somereason I decided to look at it again when you posted.

This just reminded me of my general dislike for the thread, it is not like I cannot see the funny in me calling Galadriel a cleaver. . .

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 11:56 PM   #1802
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I assign...

-The fact that at my college one cannot receive more than three unexcused absences or you will fail. (And yes, being sick does count as unexcused...I think the only time absences are excused are for religious reasons or if you are hospitalized or something like that.)

-The confusing process of getting a visa. Apparently, I'm going to need one for next year, but I don't really understand anything about getting one. At least, I'll have another month or so to figure this out. Still...garr...

-Oh yes...and PMS. I think most females will feel the same way on this one...

BTW Rune- there's no need to be touchy about typos. It add charm to your character.

Last edited by Brinniel; 04-12-2007 at 11:59 PM.
Brinniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 03:25 AM   #1803
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune
I was not offended by what you wrote Lommy. . . .
Good, because I was slightly afraid you were...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esty
(Pssst to those talking about the typo thread - we don't usually mention the name of the one who made the mistake; that saves them from feeling put on the spot.)
Oh, thanks for saying that aloud, Esty! Because now I realised I write it every time! (Even though I'm aware of that "rule".) I don't do it to be nasty of course, or to point fingers at people, or not even to point out who said it, but because I'm used to mention who I quote so it kind of comes automatically. But now that I've realised it I can leave it out in future. Hmmm... they say you learn something new every day!

And now I assign the awareness of the Chat Swerl approaching at a monstrous speed!
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 04:13 AM   #1804
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I assign messing up with giving reputations...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 12:05 PM   #1805
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I assign telemarketers. Especially the people who call your cell phone of all things.

Example:

*phone rings. I answer*

me: (not sure who it is) Hello?

telemarketer: (cheerfully) Hi! Do you currently own a Visa card?

me: mmm...yeah...

telemarketer: Well, I wanted to let you know you are eligible for a sweepstakes to win a free weekend get-away and other prizes worth up to $20,000. All you have to do is-

me: (irritated) Yeah, well I'm not interested.

telemarketer: Wait...you haven't even heard me out yet! I-

me: I said no!

*call ends*

So yeah, I know it's your job and all to annoy people, but that doesn't mean I can't assign you to Mordor....so take that!
Old 04-13-2007, 12:24 PM   #1806
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien
I assign messing up with giving reputations...
I was wondering why I had not recived my reputation points from you yet. . .

Old 04-13-2007, 08:47 PM   #1807
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Please, friends, do consider using Private Messages when and if your thoughts are directed to one individual. Wouldn't want the nasssssty chat skwerl to get ya.

Assignment: James Bond simply is not supposed to fall in love. Meh. I care not how smart and alluring the femme is. Granted, one of the better movies but ... meh. Yes, I still enjoyed the flick.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 04:26 PM   #1808
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Doing something weird to your knee so that whenever it bends in a certain direction, or even sometimes for no reason at all, you feel a sudden sharp pain that really hurts!

Oh, and losing your hairband when you could really do with having it.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:39 PM   #1809
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
Assignment: James Bond simply is not supposed to fall in love. Meh. I care not how smart and alluring the femme is. Granted, one of the better movies but ... meh. Yes, I still enjoyed the flick.
Hey, I watched that today!

I'll assign... um... when I sneak a sweet to my little cousin after her mom says no and then, as soon as she finishes eating, she tells her mom I did it.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:46 AM   #1810
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Hmm...guess Mordor needs more room for all the stuff we've assigned to it anyway...

I can think of 3816 miles/6140 kilometers I would like to assign to Mordor.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 07:49 AM   #1811
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
I could assign much more than that, Rikae...
Old 05-02-2007, 10:34 PM   #1812
Luinilwen
Pile O'Bones

Luinilwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luinilwen
Injuries that hurt for a very long time. I had my hand crushed last April and it still hurts, but the doctors say nothing's wrong. Better assign stupid doctors too.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:22 PM   #1813
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Dark-Eye

The combination of wind and a wraparound skirt. Fortunately, I realized the embarrassing posibilities before anything happend and held it down, but still!
Old 05-22-2007, 01:26 PM   #1814
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Landing on people. I know I'm not that heavy, but when I've just been thrown in the air and am heading back down toward them it must hurt when I whack them with whatever limb I've flung in their direction.

Also, being able to do something fine on Saturday and then screwing it up the next time you try it.

Finally, having something you were looking forward to cancelled because no one else actually bothered to sort themselves out.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:15 PM   #1815
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
People who switch price tags right in front of me. No, that's not 4.99, it's 49.99, sir! Oh bwar-har, that's right, you're not getting a deal today! And I know you switched tags on everything else in your stupid cart because you do it all the time! GRR!

And don't lie to me, lady - that did have a box. I know, because I put it out two hours ago! My lead cashier and I were admiring it! GRR!

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:34 PM   #1816
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Cold snaps in spring. Seriously, It's been 70 degrees (F) out here and I've been wearing shorts, yet then I've got to get out the jeans and long-sleeved stuff! Can't the weather at least be a little more consistent?
Old 05-23-2007, 08:22 AM   #1817
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Ants. Swarms of ants irritated by the use of a garden hose near their colony. Swarms of ants that proceed to swarm up the person holding the hose. And bite. Or sting. Or whatever it is that ants do.

Ouch.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:12 AM   #1818
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Loosing most of your hearing on one ear for as long as 2 months.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:43 AM   #1819
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne
Loosing most of your hearing on one ear for as long as 2 months.
I'll second. I've never lost my hearing for that long time, but almost always I have a flu I lose my hearing for some days, some weeks, it depends. And it's horrible.
A few months ago my other ear was almost deaf for two or three weeks. It was so frustrating.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:53 AM   #1820
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

It might not be for 2 months. . .So far it has been 3 days, but my doctor told me today that it would be at least a week before any improvement happened and it would probably not be back to normal before another mont maybe 2.

Old 05-23-2007, 02:02 PM   #1821
Beleg Cuthalion
Wight

Beleg Cuthalion has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Snow in may...

Quis ut Deus
Beleg Cuthalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 06:37 PM   #1822
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
-Oh yes...and PMS. I think most females will feel the same way on this one...
Females?!??!!!?? What about males who live with females.....?
William Cloud Hicklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 07:59 PM   #1823
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Finduilas is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Talking on the phone, and phones in general. I never sound like myself, and neither does anyone else . Terrible, uncomfortable things, phones are.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:40 PM   #1824
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
The impeccable timing of computer, browser, DSL and/or Skype crashes. I swear, computers are sentient...and sadistic.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 06:15 PM   #1825
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
I will assign to Mordor the slow days when you can't accomplish anything you should do...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 07:33 PM   #1826
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Finduilas is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
I will assign to Mordor the slow days when you can't accomplish anything you should do...
Hear, hear!
Old 05-28-2007, 10:46 PM   #1827
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae
The impeccable timing of computer, browser, DSL and/or Skype crashes.
Ugh...I really hate it when I get dropped calls on Skype...that can be very annoying.

Speaking of computers...

I assign the technical problems I'm having with getting my wireless running on my laptop. I'm still stuck on the family computer and it very frustrating for both me and my parents, who are tired of me hogging the computer all the time...

Oh, and I assign working double shifts at my summer job, especially during the busiest days...they're really doing a number on my feet.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:10 AM   #1828
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae
The impeccable timing of computer, browser, DSL and/or Skype crashes. I swear, computers are sentient...and sadistic.
Seconded!
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 07:03 AM   #1829
Volo

The Eye

Having a feeling that everything you had on your computer is deleted. Scary.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:02 AM   #1830
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Then you should try actually deleting everything by a mistake. . . .that goes to Mordor!

Old 05-29-2007, 08:48 AM   #1831
Volo

Yeah, Rune, something like that seemed to happen. All the texts, pictures, music, all gone...

If any of you (especially Kath, Aganzir and Lommy) have any files that are connected to me (WW texts, other texts, etc.), could you please send them to me (i_h8_mcdonalds@hotmail.com).
Old 06-04-2007, 01:38 AM   #1832
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
The general feeling of laziness and apathy towards almost every single aspect of life, except, weird as it sounds, academics. Wanting to break away from that feeling but it's just so overpowering!

On a related note, trying to resuscitate (re-kill?) yourself but practically giving up upon seeing just how much you missed all those months.

Gah.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 11:00 AM   #1833
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Governments that cannot give their citizens passpports after 11 weeks of waiting. It really sucks to drive most of the night and wait all day and be strung along by various government employees until it's finally too late to make your flight, only to face a three-and-half hour drive home to show up at the airport in the faint hope of being able to get a refund.

(Obviously, the second part of my signature does not currently apply!)
Old 06-20-2007, 11:29 AM   #1834
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Oh, that's absolutely terrible, Oro. I'm sorry to hear that. Will you not be able to go at all then?

The passport application process really is quite horrible. I applied for my passport several weeks ago, and they told me I wouldn't be able to receive it until around August 16. That means 12+ weeks of waiting!
Old 06-20-2007, 11:43 AM   #1835
Volo

Dark-Eye

Huh. I've been waiting for 5 years to get my Finnish citizenship. Why? The authorities lost my application because some yit quit his job and forgot my application.

They better get it done soon, because in less than two years I'll be sent to the Ukrainian army or I'll have my Ukrainian passport taken (if I appear in Ukraine). And I deffinitely don't want to grow a spine that way!

Anyway, more to the topic: I assign the wierd combinations of "bicycle-computer-finger nail" and "bicycle-rubbish bin-finger nail" leaving the connection of these items to the readers imagination.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:09 PM   #1836
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
My university's registration process, adding matriculation, and the unfortunate fact that second years and third years are of the lowest priority. And the people in charge not being wise enough to post the procedure for add mat just in case there are some students unfamiliar with the process.

Walking from building to building to building and waiting for three hours, being forced to skip a class in the process, for a step in the procedure that you can actually do yourself.

5:30 to 7 PM classes in airconditioned auditoriums having soft leather seats. And having a hoarse-voiced-talking-to-self Jigglypuff for a professor. Combine that with having come from a Microbio lab class in a building 10 minutes of walking away, and the temptation to sleep is simply overwhelming.

Last edited by Lhunardawen; 06-21-2007 at 08:14 PM.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 02:43 AM   #1837
Elonve
Wight

Elonve has just left Hobbiton.
Hives.
________
Kitchen Measures

Last edited by Elonve; 04-09-2011 at 06:24 PM.
Elonve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 09:34 AM   #1838
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Losing your mobile at the most inconvenient time. I've come up to Guildford for the weekend so I can see my old housemate before she disappears back to Malaysia but because I've lost my phone the only way I can contact her is by getting her number from someone else. I assumed I could do this at our new house because I supposed someone would be in, but no one was, so I am now on campus, in the library, on a computer trying to Facebook her so she at least has my number.

It's all so confusing! And to make matters worse I don't actually have a room at the house because they're currently fixing the patio windows that make up one wall of my room. I'll probably end up in someone elses room at this rate.

So, basically ... argh!
Old 06-25-2007, 01:18 PM   #1839
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I assign rubbish news. Sheffield is currently drowning, the rivers have burst their banks and the RAF are having to rescue people in the lower Don Valley, as buildings are falling down due to the water, the steel forges are apparently at risk of exploding - and peak flood is not til 11pm. davem was sent home at 4.15 it was that bad, but you turn on the news at 6pm and what do they witter on about? The Leeds 'Fun Run' and rain spoiling Wimbledon - news - we don't care about the tennis! It's completely trivial!

And I assign climate change.

I've spent most of the day trying to stop water running into my dining room through the actual walls it's been raining so hard, and I'm lucky because we live atop a hill. We still cannot get hold of davem's mam at all.

However I assign my luck in having had a day off, to the Shire!
Old 06-25-2007, 02:07 PM   #1840
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Get a grip Lal, you shouldn't let trivial little things like death and destruction get in the way of the really important things in life... New balls please!!!!

So I assign rain spoiling Wimbledon, though at least I am not there, doing some agressive sunbathing on Henman Hill and hoping that the rain stops before Cliff sings....

But I should be making a move before Christchurch gets impassable......

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote