Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2011, 01:12 PM   #3001
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Ai ai ai! Folwren, I believe Thornden has just made himself two enemies (not that they liked him before either given they were thinking he was planning treachery with Lithor)! And on top of everything it was his little brother (who is kind of his responsibility) was the one to hit Aedre. Brilliant!
I think Thornden was pretty cranky, so I doubt he cares that he made enemies. Glad you liked it.

And, hey, be fair - Thornden's sorry that Javan hit Aedre. It's not his fault Javan's a jerk.

-- Folwren
Old 03-04-2011, 06:40 PM   #3002
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Just a thought - maybe a poor one - with so many of the characters outside waiting to find out what has happened inside, maybe we should just figure out what happens inside, and write Athanar coming out with Faramund properly cowed, and the results of the meeting explained after the fact. Just a thought. It could help us move this a bit, and I'm very willing to keep this moving.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:19 PM   #3003
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Well, I'm game to try Elempi's idea, but I'd like to know everyone else's thoughts, too - particularly Lommy's, Legate's, and Firefoot's, all of whom have characters outside.

-- Folwren
Old 03-06-2011, 09:52 AM   #3004
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
I'm definitely game to keep this moving.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:37 PM   #3005
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
I think you should move this on for sure. There is no reason not to. As you can see, I have just posted (on a rather general note), and Lommy said she might want to post W+W's reactions, but if somebody happens to post earlier than her, no problem. Still, I believe there will be a few things happening inside which might still take time before it has effect on the outside. So whatever - just go ahead, I say.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 03-06-2011, 11:20 PM   #3006
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I'd love to see the two W's reactions. I think while Nogrod and Elempi decide about what happened during the inside discussion, Lommy will hopefully have time to post...?

Then what, off to Tancreds? Are we going to go as indepth? Or make a few posts that cover a lot of ground each time and not get quite as detailed?

-- Foley
Old 03-07-2011, 04:37 AM   #3007
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
I'd love to see the two W's reactions. I think while Nogrod and Elempi decide about what happened during the inside discussion, Lommy will hopefully have time to post...?

Then what, off to Tancreds? Are we going to go as indepth? Or make a few posts that cover a lot of ground each time and not get quite as detailed?
Yes, that was what I wanted to ask: so the plan is to visit all of the lords (or "lords", anyway, I think we can use it as technical term among ourselves - or perhaps "pseudolords", that very well captures the essence, I think ) right during this one day? Of course it probably makes sense. Yet, yes, this has been pretty long. In some way, I would like to return to Scarburg. (I have personal reasons though - I am looking forward to Hilderinc encountering Falco one more time. I think the random sighting of the holbytla will keep haunting inside his head until then.)

But yes, I guess it's more like Nog's and LMP's place to decide what they want to do with the other two pseudolords?
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 03-07-2011, 10:43 AM   #3008
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Obviously, I want to move things to get my most beloved character back in the game - Eodwine. To that end I'm happy with writing summaries of the other two lords, as well. But that's just selfish me. If Noggie is looking forward to having actual interaction between Athanar and these landlords, that's fine. I'm sure I could work it so that they're not nearly as stupid and uncooperative as Faramund.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:59 PM   #3009
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I tried replying earlier, but the computer I was on was not allowing me to post here and BD wasn't working well at all.....

I wanted to say that Athanar would probably want to deal with all three lords in one day. It's logical, and Athanar is a logical sort of chap...and efficient, to boot. But, that's just my perception of him. Nogrod calls that shot, really.

I have two reasons to want to hurry this day along to its closing. One is the same that Elempi mentioned, with Eodwine coming backa nd all. The other, though, is the fact that I'm still biting my nails, wondering what the result will be when Coenred tells Athanar that Thornden knew which direction Lithor and Erbrand went and said nothing.

I've got to get to class...

-- Foley
Old 03-08-2011, 04:31 PM   #3010
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Sorry about being too much involved on other matters than the Mead Hall... the famous RL has kept me busy of late.
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
Obviously, I want to move things to get my most beloved character back in the game - Eodwine. To that end I'm happy with writing summaries of the other two lords, as well. But that's just selfish me. If Noggie is looking forward to having actual interaction between Athanar and these landlords, that's fine. I'm sure I could work it so that they're not nearly as stupid and uncooperative as Faramund.
I agree that something like "summaries" would be okay as otherwise it would take a half a year to get through the day we have at hand (and the next one).

I'll try to come back to this tomorrow or the day after the latest.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:23 PM   #3011
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Posted. If anyone can come up with a better word than "soldier" to Wulfric's last comment, I'd be happy to change it. I wanted something slightly deragotary (sp?) noting to their difference of rank but given Thornden's current (high) position maybe something else than a military term would be better? Calling Thornden "soldier" is kind of stupid, but I didn't want to use "peasant" either and the word I wanted eludes me. Anything that would emphasise the fact that Thornden is a common-born countryside soldier as opposed to being a nobleman warrior raised up in Edoras?
Old 03-08-2011, 06:35 PM   #3012
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Hm...I'll let you know if I thinkof any word that might be appropriate. Soldier did have that derrogatory ring to it, the way you used it, anyway. Possibly lieutenant (sp!), except I think Elempi would tell us that's not an anglo-saxon word. If he put a certain spin on it, that could be insulting, too.

Good post. Make me laugh with excitement and anticipation. How I love trouble.

-- Foley
Old 03-08-2011, 06:39 PM   #3013
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Thumbs up

It's great. I am looking forward to what comes out of this And I am sure some of the soldiers too. "I smell trouble?"
Old 03-09-2011, 11:15 PM   #3014
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

So....not to be rude or anything....but wanting to stir the pot a little, or at least give it a nudge....is something being worked on? Nogrod, Elempi? Are you two thinking about what's going on?

Lommy....I posted again. I'm sorry - I couldn't resist. My wording was clumsy tonight, though, so if I get on again and re-read it and decide to edit some of the language, don't be surprised if I hop on here and say I did.

I am picturing Wulfric on his horse right next to Thornden, because when Wulfic addressed him in your post, they seemed pretty near, and I kind of figure being Athanar's sons, they'll be close to the leaders of the men anyway.

-- Foley

Last edited by Folwren; 03-09-2011 at 11:28 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:09 AM   #3015
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
I am picturing Wulfric on his horse right next to Thornden, because when Wulfic addressed him in your post, they seemed pretty near, and I kind of figure being Athanar's sons, they'll be close to the leaders of the men anyway.
I would think so too. And Folwren I really cracked up at your post. That was too funny, and I didn't really expect that from Thornden (and I bet neither did Wulfric!) and you know now I just have to make a short reply...
Old 03-10-2011, 09:36 AM   #3016
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Posted. I have to admit I sometimes wish the 'downs would allow more foul language - I think Wulfric would've said something a bit uglier sounding to both Thornden and Wilheard.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:04 AM   #3017
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Posted. I have to admit I sometimes wish the 'downs would allow more foul language - I think Wulfric would've said something a bit uglier sounding to both Thornden and Wilheard.
Haha. That's where lots of creativity comes in. Or, if you like, you can do as Tolkien did nad instead of putting bad words in, just say something like, "Wulfric cursed." Sam did once or twice, you know.

I'm glad you did post. This is fun. I think that Thornden has nothing further to say, though, so for now we should be good.

-- Foley
Old 03-10-2011, 10:15 AM   #3018
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
I'm glad you did post. This is fun. I think that Thornden has nothing further to say, though, so for now we should be good.
So now we can use all our energy on pressuring Nog and LMP to post.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:27 AM   #3019
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
So now we can use all our energy on pressuring Nog and LMP to post.
That is exactly right. Nog? Elempi? Are you posting soon?
Old 03-12-2011, 07:03 AM   #3020
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
That is exactly right. Nog? Elempi? Are you posting soon?
I just PMd Nog with an idea how to do this. I await his reply, after which we can move forward.

Lommi, Foley, those last two posts cracked me up.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:24 PM   #3021
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Okay. I'm back online again with some time in my hands... and I've read lmp's PM and think it is a reasonable way to solve this for starters (let's see where it gets us later?) - it's actually quite near to what I had thought of as my preliminary thoughts to solve the situation. So as we two seem to agree on the main characters of this conflict I think I will give it a go and try to write them out from the hall in the coming hour...
Old 03-12-2011, 02:46 PM   #3022
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Awesome! I'm glad to see that we're on a roll now.

I will be around only somewhat for the next twenty-four hours or so. That is to say, I may not be able to post until Monday morning should something come up. So, keep that in mind if you write anything concerning my characters.

-- Foley
Old 03-12-2011, 03:46 PM   #3023
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Okay. It was getting too long a post and so I decided to cut it where the lords appear out from the hall. So you could all make some reactions to this rather awkward situation before we write it further. I should have time to continue this tomorrow or early next week so that's basically an offer to write a reaction - or to continue with some of those interactions you have going on in there with the new situation...

Also lmp: if this inspires you feel free to take it further...
Old 03-12-2011, 04:10 PM   #3024
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
I like it.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:20 PM   #3025
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Glad to be amusing to others.

And even gladder to see this moving on - nice to see a Théoden vol 2 in our little RPG.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:29 AM   #3026
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I know I'm just as guilty as everyone else about not posting...but what is to happen next? I guess I could post for Thornden, but he really has nothing to say at all. Even though I have no ideas at present, I think I and others should write something, seeing as things have been so full of tension up to this point. It'd be kind of lame to spend so long building up to this point and then poof! bang, it's all resolved in two posts. It can be resolved, certainly, I just feel there should be some reaction to it, and Nogrod and Elempi has given us plenty of time to react.

That being said, I will get out of my lazy mood and write something today.

-- Folwren
Old 03-22-2011, 04:14 PM   #3027
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Okay. If you have nothing to add, I'll try to move things forwards soonish (meaning: the rest of the week is pretty much a nightmare RL-wise, but I should have ample time on the weekend).

But please write something if you have anything in mind, even something brief to get the feeling of the situation... or to relit the things going on at Scarburg?
Old 03-22-2011, 04:57 PM   #3028
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Ugh - I've been, and still am having terribly busy days now, but maybe I could manage to slip something in on Friday. Saturday would be even better, but if Nog is already going to post by then... well, let's just see who is faster.

Really sorry, but I barely have time to finish all the stuff I need to get done on time these days...
Old 03-22-2011, 07:17 PM   #3029
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Sorry, I'm busy at least into Saturday.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:00 AM   #3030
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

There. Let's see what reactions that brings.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:34 PM   #3031
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sorry I haven't been very active lately. My classes are horribly difficult and work-intensive this semester, and I'm not sure it's going to lighten up a whole lot before the end of April. So I'm around keeping tabs on things but don't really have a lot of time for writing.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:52 AM   #3032
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Hmmmm...... wondering if Faramund is capable of patricide....?
Old 03-29-2011, 09:55 AM   #3033
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
Hmmmm...... wondering if Faramund is capable of patricide....?
Uh... but certainly at least not now? That would be more like suicide.

But if later, that might be interesting.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:03 AM   #3034
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Maybe, maybe not. It depends on the self-control and how law-abiding those are who are most near. Of course, if the immediate reaction is Faramund's own death - NOT by Athanar's hand - then the Eorldom suddenly gets that much bigger, wouldn't it?
Old 03-29-2011, 10:24 AM   #3035
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
That was my first reaction, too. But if he doesn't do it now, when would he do it? Not later - Faramund doesn't seem quite the villian to kill in cold blood with the pre-concieved plan to murder. Right now, after such a public insult and humiliation from his own father, it would be more likely. But, then, he would probably not live very long afterwards, either. Sure, Athanar may not kill him, but his men wouldn't save him and Athanar would probably throw him in jail to be tried later for murder and then executed.

But it was an awful thing for Freduhelm to say such a thing.

-- Foley
Old 03-31-2011, 04:00 PM   #3036
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Well, I was going to post and then after I wrote two or three sentences I realized I didn't have anything more to write. I guess I'll have to wait, then.

Elempi, is there going to be murder, or have you thought better of it and decided not to? If not, can we be out of this place and onto the next landlord?

-- Foley
Old 03-31-2011, 05:48 PM   #3037
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

No murder. Let's move on.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:13 AM   #3038
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Excellent. Are there any objections if I (or anybody else who takes the lead) rides us on out of there? I could do it, but it would have to wait until I had time to sit down and write a long-ish post. Hopefully today or tomorrow.

Then I think people were in agreement that the other two lords could be dealt with in summarizing posts. I think that everyone writing has a fair idea of how those confrontations will go, even though I doubt any one of us are picturing it quite the same. Possibly, anyone who wants to write can write their own character's summary of how it goes, and everyone will have as much time as it takes the ring leaders here (Nogrod? Possibly myself?) to get the troup back to Scarburg. May take a matter of a week or two. Anyone who writes a post first leads the way in how things actually go, and obviously any subsequent posts should try to be in agreement with what the first person posts. I hope that makes sense. That being said, the first person to write had jolly well better not do something ridiculous like, "And then they saw the smoke. It curled up in great, black rolling clouds to the blue sky above. The horses were spurred forward and when they crested the hill they saw the burning hall below. What was this? Another uprising?"

Ah...no.....we'd be writing for another year.

Anyway, how does that sound? Nogrod, what input do you have for us?

-- Folwren
Old 04-01-2011, 02:51 PM   #3039
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

From at least my perspective, although it is not what matters the most, but just to state my opinion, I am fine with that proposal, Foley. When it comes to myself, I can write a summary of what things were like from Hilderinc's perspective, but I don't feel the need to prolongate this very much. Unless somebody wants to react etc... but I think we should not let the people at the keep wait for too long. I think most important is now Nog's perspective, since LMP has already sort of expressed his, it seems...
Old 04-01-2011, 04:32 PM   #3040
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Good thoughts, Foley. I have a strange idea. How about anybody who wants to, writes the events from their character's point of view, and NOBODY writes from the lords' (even Athanar?) points of view, so that we get a many-sided look at it but nothing direct. Sort of like a news camera approach. Could be interesting. And be as creative with it as you like, taking what happens maybe a plot turn or more further than the last post. Like I said, strange idea but it could be fun.