The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-11-2006, 05:20 AM   #3321
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Argh, can't believe I'm doing this

A promise is a promise Cailín! I'm in.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:58 AM   #3322
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Silmaril Change of occupation.

Instead of being lost, I shall be a renowned Jinchuuriki hunter.

(For those of you who don't know Naruto, or know it but haven't read the original Japanese manga, this will not make sense. Well, just expect more bilingualism from me. )
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 07:00 AM   #3323
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
When are you starting? I'm tempted to join, but I fear I can't unless the game starts quite soon.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 08:12 AM   #3324
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
*raises hand tentatively*

Can I play?

I'll be the feared Dread Pirate Roberta.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:22 AM   #3325
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
As a football widow, I need something to keep me out of even worse mischief. I'll come aboard too, please. Is football widow too anachronistic for you Cailín? If so, I'll be a merry one...
Old 06-12-2006, 09:28 AM   #3326
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Sting

Lhuna is going to play! I cannot express my joy. . .

I do still not know what to be maybe Erik of Pomerania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik of Pomerania
it is better to be a pirate chieftain on Gotland than being the king of Norway.
I really dont know

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 09:41 AM   #3327
Cailín
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Cailín has just left Hobbiton.
Bad news

I saw the doctor today and my arm is a bit worse than I expected.

I am really dreadfully sorry, but I am just not up to (nor allowed to) typing out long posts and spending more time behind the computer than absolutely necessary (which is still too horrific to fully comprehend for my geeky side). Fortunately, I do have medication and should see significant progress within a week.

It's so frustrating with all you cool people willing and wanting to sign up.

So it seems there are two options:

1) I could give it another week and start the game then. This may mean that some people currently on the passenger list will not be able to play.

2) Someone else should take my place to mod WW XXIII. I'd be unhappy, but I completely understand (especially with the long waiting-to-mod list) people cannot wait for my recovery.

What do you think? I'm really unsure what to do. I don't want to waste my chance to mod a good game by being unable to type more than a few sentences each day.

Argh.
Cailín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 09:56 AM   #3328
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
I'm very sorry to hear about your prolonged injury.
However it works out don't rob yourself (or us ) by having to edit your narration. I always look forward to what others have come up with.

I suppose the decision will also be based on if the next mod is ready. If that person is not ready we'd have to wait anyway therefore we can wait for Cailin, but if that person is ready then we should carry on and Cailin can mod the next game.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:21 AM   #3329
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I believe the next mod in line is Gurthang. Cailin if you still want to mod this one I can help you out in someways if you need it.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:46 AM   #3330
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
You should have the opportunity to mod this interesting take on WW (maritime WW, that is), so perhaps your game should be put on hold until you can do so. Further games can be played, but whenever your ready to take on yours again, you can do so (obviously not in the middle of a game, of course...you know what I mean).

Unless you'd rather pass on this idea. I just know that, t'were me, I'd want to hold onto it once I had all the plans...

But as Holby pointed out, it does depend on who's ready, I suppose.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 10:55 AM   #3331
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
If it's only one week I say wait. It would actually give me the break I need. Besides how many have signed up?
Old 06-12-2006, 11:03 AM   #3332
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Partly out of self-interest (to increase the chances of me being able to play) I'd be positively happy if you waited.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:13 AM   #3333
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Actually, waiting a week sounds grand to me. There's no telling how long Lomgrod's game will last, and it would even be nice to have a break between the two.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:19 AM   #3334
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Well, being the next on the list, I would actually prefer to wait, too. I have some things I would like to do before my own game. I would have done some of them already, but it hasn't worked out. So I also would be fine with just waiting for your arm to get better, Cailín.

Still, if it comes down to it, I suppose I could get most of the stuff done tonight. So if you guys want me to, I can probably be ready in a couple days. Although, I think most people are agreeing that waiting for Cailín is okay. Sounds good to me... more planning time.

Well, planning when I'm not playing, anyway.

Cailín, how long did the doctor think it will take for your arm to get up to typing health?
Old 06-12-2006, 11:33 AM   #3335
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
If Gurth doesn't one to mod the next, could Sleepy (the next one on the list) do it?

I think it might be very unfair for Gurth and Sleepy's probably not prepared. So maybe that's a very bad idea. Just wanted to say it aloud.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:38 AM   #3336
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
If sleepy is ready to start right away, I think we should let him mod the next game. If that is not the case then I dont mind waiting, at all.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 11:43 AM   #3337
Cailín
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I see opinions vary. Thanks for the best wishes, and Valier, I do very much appreciate your offer to help, but if I wait, I might not need it!

Quote:
Cailín, how long did the doctor think it will take for your arm to get up to typing health?
If I behave, it should be a whole lot better within a week. That is, if it's indeed the kind of injury the doctor assumes it is.

I actually decided that -if we will wait- I will either start Night 1 on the evening of Monday the 19th or the morning after, being my birthday.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:44 PM   #3338
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Poor old girl, what rotten luck.
Still, it could have been worse, just imagine if it had happened while you were in the middle of modding a game....
Anyway, I'm happy to wait although it just means I'll be spending more money (I already bought a garden shed and a bathroom floor today.... )
Old 06-12-2006, 04:06 PM   #3339
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Well, most of us have to wait for the end of Lomgrod's game anyways, especially Thin and Nogrod...

How about this- we wait until that game is over, and then see what's what. It could end up taking another four or five days in real time as it is.

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Roa_Aoife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 05:36 PM   #3340
Márcolië Lamen
Wight

Márcolië Lamen has just left Hobbiton.
I've missed werewolf not being here, and now that school and everything which is taking up enough time to stop me from playing is over, I'd be interested in playing if there's still room.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:21 PM   #3341
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Commiserations, Cailín. I hope that the doctor gives you the all clear soon.

All this talk of medical consultations before assessing whether you can play puts me in mind of a certain England player and his metatarsal ...

I will be back from my trip on the evening of 19 June, so if the game starts on 20 June, then you can count me in. We share a birthday, Cailín.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:46 PM   #3342
Azaelia of Willowbottom
Shade of Carn Dűm

Azaelia of Willowbottom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Azaelia of Willowbottom
Silmaril

If there's room, put me down as a maybe. I will be missing the first weekend in July, but if that isn't an issue (I'll leave that one up to the mod), count me in.

Now that school is finally over, I'll have more time on my hands (or so the theory goes, anyhow).

I'm looking forward to putting in some good solid werewolf hours this summer!
Old 06-13-2006, 06:17 AM   #3343
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith
Poor old girl, what rotten luck.
Still, it could have been worse, just imagine if it had happened while you were in the middle of modding a game....

Not Cailin would have had to take dictation Hope you recover quickly...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 09:04 AM   #3344
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Cailin starting next week would be far better for me so I say wait! That way I might be able to participate properly
Old 06-13-2006, 10:00 AM   #3345
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Speaking of Not-Cailín, is he going to play? What better first game than the one your sis in moderating, no?

Hmmm, well, if we're waiting a week, I am confident enough that I'll be able to play to choose a vocation. I am gnawing my ankle off over jealously that Jenny got to the Dread Pirate Roberta first, of course. Can I be Weslamond, the Dread Pirate Roberta's protégé?
Old 06-13-2006, 10:08 AM   #3346
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

A vision on Inigo di Anguirel floats before my eyes...
Old 06-13-2006, 12:15 PM   #3347
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond18
Speaking of Not-Cailín, is he going to play? What better first game than the one your sis in moderating, no?
Actually, looking at Lhuna in Nilp's game, that might be an unfair DISadvantage.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:17 PM   #3348
Cailín
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Did anyone ask Sleepy?

Well, I think we shall be starting on the 19th then! (with a Night phase). I am actually doing somewhat better already, so I'm quite confident I'll be up to it.

I will update the Player List tonight. If you are unable to play because of the later starting date, please let me know.

Di, to answer your question, my brother (non-Cailín, now known as Taliesin) is indeed playing but it takes him a little long to officially sign up. Holidays are making him lazy

Thanks all for your well wishes.

Quote:
I will be back from my trip on the evening of 19 June, so if the game starts on 20 June, then you can count me in. We share a birthday, Cailín.
I guess the delay was good for something then. No wonder I'm always forced to trust you. It's in the stars! Um, yeah.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:06 PM   #3349
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Okay, if you're starting so late, I can't unfortunately join the game.

I hope you guys have a good game!
Old 06-13-2006, 03:32 PM   #3350
Cailín
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sorry you will have to miss it, Lommy!

---

Captain Cailín's log

Crew:

Cailín
Nogrod

Current Passenger List:

Durelin
Caranlondien - ships's bartender
Holbytlass
Findëasëa
Lhunardawen - seasick reluctant traveler
Kath
JennyHallu - Dread Pirate Roberta
Lalaith - Football Widow
Diamond18 - Weslamond, the Dread Pirate Roberta's protégé
Marcolië Lamen

Gurthang -- Plank Operator
Formendacil -- Ne'er-do-well stowaway of snobbish, blue-blooded origins
Nilpaurion Felagund -- renowned Jinchuuriki hunter
Rune Son of Bjarne
Mormegil - the vocal nitpick who can find fault in anything
Taliesin
Saucepan Man - Rear-Admiral Sir Horatio Potboiler
Sir Anguirel Spens

Roa_Aoife? -- Vulcan science officer
Azaelia?

Scheduled date of departure:

19th of June, 10 PM
20th of June, 8 AM

Roles:

Four Wolves, A Lover, One Seer, Hunter and Ranger as Shiriffs

Rules:

No double lynchings
Retractable votes or not?

--

A few things: please specify whether you'd prefer the 8AM or 10PM cycle. All times are current London time (i.e. GMT+1). Also, I'll leave it up to you all to decide whether we have retractables or no.

I am going to be extremely sexist here and say sign up is closed for all Downs girls, except the maybes (a definite decision would be appreciated)! I'm sorry, but if the list gets severely out of balance, there can be no traditional Lovers game. If any more guys (Ang, dear?) could sign up, it would be great.

Comments and questions on the roles are welcome and will be answered with considerable delay of course.

If you're on the list and wish to cancel your journey, it's still possible. Except for the men. I'll personally force them aboard.

Last edited by Cailín; 06-14-2006 at 12:07 AM.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:35 PM   #3351
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

I'm in. I'll be Sir Anguirel Spens, sent at the bidding of the King of Scots to find the King of Norroway and bestow his daughter in marriage...

(It beat Inigo di Anguirel. Just.)
Old 06-13-2006, 03:36 PM   #3352
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

*tsk* Call yourself a Dutchwoman, Cailin? Don't let a little thing like gender imbalance stop you...I thought you lot pioneered same-sex marriages....
Old 06-13-2006, 03:39 PM   #3353
Cailín
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith
*tsk* Call yourself a Dutchwoman, Cailin? Don't let a little thing like gender imbalance stop you...I thought you lot pioneered same-sex marriages....
Believe me, when it comes to that I am completely Dutch. I grew up in an Amsterdam suburb, you know.

But I know some of the Downers (actually, pretty much all of them) aren't and I'm trying to be politically correct in a conversative way.

Thanks for joining, Ang!
Old 06-13-2006, 03:41 PM   #3354
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

New Werewolf Rules

PASS THE JOINT

Randomly determined player forbidden to make any kind of sense for one Day. Partaker changes every day.

EUTHANASIA

Any hardened players from Werewolf 1 must be killed as quickly as possible because "it's the kindest thing for them".

EDIT: By the way, some of my best friends-and my step-grandmother-are Dutch.

So that means I can indulge in all the immature stereotyping that I like with complete impunity! Nyah nyah!

Last edited by Anguirel; 06-13-2006 at 03:47 PM.
Anguirel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 03:48 PM   #3355
Cailín
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I could come up with a few more, but I fear my country is becoming too X-rated for the Downs. You don't *want* to know what they're trying to legalise now.

But honestly, Anguirel, I don't think we'd need such rules. People rarely make sense anyway and seasoned players are almost always killed off immediately.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:53 PM   #3356
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Well as a decadent Londoner I think Dutch Werewolf Rules sound rather amusing - but fair enough, we must abide with the moral majority...

EDIT: I'd particularly wish to introduce stringent Euthanasia legislation for kilt-wearers. But as he's not even playing, as yet...

Last edited by Lalaith; 06-13-2006 at 03:57 PM.
Lalaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 04:50 PM   #3357
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

I'll go for the 10pm slot please. I don't wish to spend my holidays waking up at 8!

Sorry you can't join us Lommy
Old 06-13-2006, 05:00 PM   #3358
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
The "Michiel Adriaan Joosten" in me is amused by the Dutch Discussion (seriously, Ang, that first, random, rule would be hilarious... I'm seriously for it). The very conservative North American is pleased to see Cailín taking a moderate approach to things.

And the voter in me has to say:

++ 10 pm
Old 06-13-2006, 05:21 PM   #3359
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
Either date is fine for me, I'd prefer the 10pm time. I'm the whale hunter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formen
The very conservative North American is pleased to see Cailín taking a moderate approach to things.
I agree, afterall, even if we are not biologically decended-our country's ancestors were rather prudish and it has stuck for the most part. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I missed the lovers-could someone pm me or link to the posts that explain it please.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:00 PM   #3360
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

An academic question (it's of course entirely up to Cailin how she runs her game)
WW involves lying to our friends and killing them. It also involves reading sometimes extremely graphic descriptions of cannibalistic violence (how graphic depends on the mod, but I've read stuff on here that I would call pretty immoderate, gore-wise) So what is the issue with same-sex Lovers, purely for convenience because there are too many female players?