The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2011, 10:32 PM   #561
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Looking back on the instructions it seems to me that the Dead checked Lommy last night (since she was the first to reach the total).

Did we ever specify if odds or evens meant guilty or innocent?

If not then we need to post that so that one of them on that thread can see it here before they start voting.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:36 PM   #562
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Eye

And about the double lynch- honestly I'm not even a little bit sorry. Heh- I actually wasn't expecting the double due to the fact that there was the extra-vote power out there (I completely forgot the fact that Agan hadn't voted either of the top two candidates, plus Shasta didn't vote, and those two were pretty well guaranteed to have the power) but I'm glad I finally offed Lommy, and I'm anxious to see what she was.

As far as Nessa... We ought to debate tomorrow (or late today after the vote is decided) if we'd rather have our latest lynch checked or her, but that's not an issue for now.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:46 PM   #563
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
Looking back on the instructions it seems to me that the Dead checked Lommy last night (since she was the first to reach the total).

Did we ever specify if odds or evens meant guilty or innocent?

If not then we need to post that so that one of them on that thread can see it here before they start voting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
Since Agan won't be back and Shasta isn't around shall we tell them to use odd number placement on the day's living list for wolf and even for non-wolf for their double vote?
So, if they follow that, then a double-vote to any of the following would mean "Lommywolf!": Glirdan, Elra, Lottie, Legate, phantom or Mith.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:52 PM   #564
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen
So, if they follow that, then a double-vote to any of the following would mean "Lommywolf!": Glirdan, Elra, Lottie, Legate, phantom or Mith.
Okay, yes, let's go ahead and agree to that right now, plain to see.

ATTENTION DEAD PEOPLE!!

If Lommy is a Wolf, give an extra vote to one of these-
Glirdan
Elrond's Daughter
Lottie
Legate
Phantom
Mith
Old 01-31-2011, 10:54 PM   #565
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

All right- time for me to start getting ready for sleep. I have to get up early and shovel... Ugh...
Old 01-31-2011, 10:56 PM   #566
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Well, well, well.

I didn't mean to tie the vote there yesterDay, and I did make a rather odd face there (something along the lines of o.O, only more so), but Glorfy's save sort of evened out the numbers a teensy bit. I consider it a good exchange, really - someone who could have been a wolf was killed instead of someone who couldn't have. So, all in all, I'm a lot less head-bang-y than I was at the end of yesterDay.

EDIT: xed with Phantoms
Old 01-31-2011, 10:59 PM   #567
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Okay, I've kept my eyelids open long enough now that I can't keep them open any longer and my brain is mush thus making me incapable of proper thought formulation. I"m going to bed now. I'll be back later in the Day.

PS: I'll be voting early toDay as I have to work till right up to DL.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:05 PM   #568
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
I take this to mean Glorfindel made a good save last night! *and there was much rejoicing...yay*

This nullifies that double-lynch yesterday *glares at phantom and Lottie*.

Ok, so the dead convened yesterday and the unknown options would have been Nessa, Lommy, Nog, and Fea. Correct?

Late in the DL Agan came up with a plan to transfer information from the dead thread to us, by finding the identity of the player we lynch the previous day. And for extra insurance in case of a double-lynch it would be the first person who reached in lynch vote. This would make it Lommy.

I know no one's going to believe me when I say it, but I'm neither cobbler nor wolf. We can make use of what the dead found out yesterday if we are clear about the hint we want. The time for debating this is over and done yesterday, we got to get moving. If I know Agan, she's going to be a drill sergeant, so unless the threads been hijacked by Nog and taken over by baddies. Her and Shasta will get done what we want, and unless the innocents have gone insane or just stopped participating, we can trust the dead if we listen to them.

The buck stops here, this is what we're doing. Mith's idea with the odds and evens is perfect. And for extra insurance, so that the lynch today has NO effect on the hint the dead give us...

Dead people. If Lommy's a wolf, make your vote for one of the odds players on the living list that Rikae posted to started the day. If she's not a wolf, make it an even player.

Edit: crossed with several...including Nerwen and phantom's messages for the dead. Looks like we all have come to the same decision. Good.

One more thing before sleepy time...Glorfy. Reveal when you want to, don't listen to phantom.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:43 PM   #569
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I lied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
As far as Nessa... We ought to debate tomorrow (or late today after the vote is decided) if we'd rather have our latest lynch checked or her, but that's not an issue for now.
No. It's best if we tell the dead exactly what we want now. Leaving to decide this later in the day will only clutter up the lynch, and also make it easier for any baddies to mess up and put an end to Agan's plan.

If you want to wait to see if you think it would be better to let Nessa go and the dead check who we lynch today. Fine. But I say we tell them the plan now.

What I mean is, EVERYONE, and I mean everyone. Besides just making your lynch vote, tell the dead who you want to check.

I suggest. "Dead ones. Check ______" (insert Nessa or Today's lynch)

Dead people. Go by majority rules. If it's a tie, go by the person who first reached the vote.

Agree this is a straight forward plan the dead can follow? Excellent. Moving on...
Old 02-01-2011, 03:15 AM   #570
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Glad as I am that I have said something sensible for once, it does occur that we could totally eliminate any wolf anticipation by just stating the criteria for the day depending on who we have left - There are lots of ways of doing it someone with numbers in name, one word name.... but for today odds and evens is just fine. Of course we don't have to vary the system at all but if pointing out we could stymies a wolftrick

Are we going to refine it to make clear if Lommie or Nessa or is that too limiting?

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:28 AM   #571
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Ah so there was a def agreement in case of a double lynch, okies. Well I shall be out for a few hours this morning but on past form will be quiet anyway.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:19 AM   #572
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Helloooooooooooooooooooo? I know Ang has had tecnical difficulties via FB ..suppose not alone...

Old 02-01-2011, 08:50 AM   #573
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Right. Well, sorry about that hiatus within the non-hiatus. It has been, though, quite helpful for my point of view in retrospect; very rarely am I accorded an insight in a werewolf game which is not a bit deranged by me being in the thick of it. Now I can peruse a whole day of 'control'.

I was concerned after a couple of re-readings by just how much mob rule went on during the day of the double-lynching. Very few candidates were seriously proposed, and of course even fewer voted for. Nessa got half a quorum deciding against her before she had said anything (although admittedly partly because she hadn't). phantom said he thought her more cobbler than wolf. I thought that sounded sensible at the time but actually, that is the most passive and uninfluential way to play a cobbler. I reckon there's a slim outside chance she was a silent Mata Hari wolf, but that more likely the situation was Manwe all over again.

Neither, after some thought, did I like what happened to Thinlomien much, although it was even more unstoppable than Nessa, in a different way. Nessa had none but the most threadbare of defences; Lommy somehow enacted just enough of a defence to convince several big guns, otherwise mutually disunited, that she was lying (I'm thinking Boro, phantom, Mith). Not so sure myself. Her attitude reminded me of me. "So what, wolfy," you might respond, and I suppose that's a valid enough question.

But when one is in fact innocent, the mod has handed one a powerful but double-edged weapon - the absolute conviction of inner (sometimes self-) righteousness. Wolves (and cobblers) can try and imitate this feeling's outward radiation, but they never get it quite right. Cf Nogrod, I think. Whereas in my view Shasta, wilwa and Mith have taken that stand, this game, in ways that convinced me, amongs others, then and now. Obviously Shasta now matters less but I remain pretty confident about the other two.

I say that this inner glow of innocence is double-edged, and that it can be self-righteous, because it makes innocents liable to be defensive. They feel frustrated at their attackers because they know they are truthful, and it's tempting to launch into a retaliatory crusade in turn, where innocents hang each other all over the shop. As an innocent (in this case) who enjoys thinking, and is conscious of sounding, like a wolf (cf Fea, Aganzir), I am subject to a related but different problem - I tend to clear people who accuse me too easily, because I know it is reasonable to accuse me.

I shall therefore try to be quite even-handed about Sally, in negative as well as positive ways. She has brought up a persistent, undercoloured, half-jocular thought about me despite not having me to bounce off and react to about it (as Thinlomien got reacted against by her accusers.) She maintains that case into today despite considerable new event - a voting pattern, a double-lynch and a successful Glorfindel save. I can't remember whether she knows I'm a person people like to lynch, but against someone largely absent, I wouldn't call it the boldest of manouevres. I will give it this, though: it's quite original at the moment, more so than either of yesterday's candidates.

So much for Sally, who is one of my suspicions but certainly not supreme among them. That honour goes to Loslote. I believe her implication that she caused the double-lynch by accident, but her stress on this accident, a preemptive fanning off of blame, looks really bad. Also, read her posts yesterday's and no one else's. The consistency of wolf-perspective they show, given their rarity and brevity, is really noticeable. On the whole then I think her guilty of murder rather than of shoemaking. A cobbler wouldn't have bothered to try and excuse that double-lynch to her extent. I would like to lynch Loslote today well ahead of anyone else.

phantom is as so often in a sort of architecturally integral position, where no one has the spirit or strength to conduct archaeological research on him because the operation is megalithic, inconvenient, and a bit dangerous. Unfortunately I myself am firmly in that "no one." I don't want to lynch him yet (and that's a phrase that keeps coming up about him; Boro and Elron both said something of the kind yesterday). I will say this though - I disapprove of his ironclad set of instructions to the dead. We all need absolute flexibility to adapt to new situations, not further rules in a heavily ruled game...

Mith's amendment was therefore helpful as far is went, but it only diluted what I think is innately a bad idea. (I was uneasy too with the number of people who loudly OKed it; the expressive enthusiastic support of a detail; like constitutional reform supporters in other political struggles, they seemed technical, weird and playing a long game...)

Finally, a few observations on the few voices that seem to defy the convention wisdom - even if sometimes very oddly. sally's casually intent pursuit of me is one example. Legate's position that lynching Cobblers is a bad thing (the heir of Nogrod's theory) and overt suspicion of phantom is another. A Little Green, even more radically, still wonders whether Nogrod was perhaps truthful. Glirdan's defence of wilwa is strong, well expressed and convincing - even if arguably only a wolf has the knowledge to be so persuasive.

I think much of the stuff in that last paragraph is mistaken on specifics, but all the same if we want to face the full range of possibilities we need more thinking like it.

On the whole if I had to bet now I'd go for a triumvirate of Glirdan, Sally and Loslote, so I'd better check if there are any actual relationships between them...
Old 02-01-2011, 08:58 AM   #574
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

(as you can see, I'm afraid I think we still haven't caught a real wolf, though we may be down a cobbler or two. One of those cobblers is isolated in Mandos, more or less in the open, so we can probably count on quite helpful support from the Dead right now. But the population is dipping worryingly.)

I'm sorry the above is so antisocial to read, as well. I had a lot to say and had been prevented, first by my bodyclock then by the aether, from saying it...

And, please speak up lords and ladies. Some of our most vocal debaters are dead now. On this thread as well as theirs. (Now I'm starting to imagine them as Oxford and Cambridge...)
Old 02-01-2011, 09:10 AM   #575
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

But Lommies "defence" of my point was totally unconvincing. Apart from the fact that it was completely inconsistent, I find feigning ignorance of the rules supremely suspicious. One think to miss an in game post but the rules are upfront and accessible. Apart from the fact it is a basic cursory to the mod to read them it always seems so disingenuous to ask rather than to go and check too "oh I am too innocent and ordinary to have to worry about the technicalities".

Old 02-01-2011, 09:28 AM   #576
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

I'm feeling extremely sympathetic to a disillusioned attitude to the technicalities.

This plan re: lynching and double votes, for example. I don't get one major thing: it seems to assume that wolf for wolf votes won't happen. Isn't that crazy?

But really I just hate plans, on principle. They mean we end up having to talk about boring mechanics instead of wild psychoanalytical speculation.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:36 AM   #577
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elronds_daughter has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mith
...too "oh I am too innocent and ordinary to have to worry about the technicalities".
I agree with you on this.

And Ang, your tome was one of the easier ones to read through. I found it helpful.

Not much for opening thoughts, I know.... I'm not sure how "okay" I am with the double-lynch. Glad the Lommy-enigma (she always is, to me) is gone, yes. But Nessa? I'm not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirel
I disapprove of his ironclad set of instructions to the dead. We all need absolute flexibility to adapt to new situations, not further rules in a heavily ruled game...

Mith's amendment was therefore helpful as far is went, but it only diluted what I think is innately a bad idea. (I was uneasy too with the number of people who loudly OKed it; the expressive enthusiastic support of a detail; like constitutional reform supporters in other political struggles, they seemed technical, weird and playing a long game...)
I'm not sure what you mean here. Or rather, I'm not sure why devising a (very simple) system for communicating with the Dead concerns you. We can't count on the Lovers or Glorfy (that would just be bad sense tactically), so it makes sense that we ought to have a method of communication. And I don't see how it's "ironclad". We can always change it, if change is agreed upon. Or if it seems like the extra-vote-getters are not going to vote well. It's not a rule, just a system.

Upon consideration, I think I understand why it seems immovable to you. We need to be decisive, otherwise the Dead might get mixed messages. And we don't want that. So Boro and phantom (who is still fishy to me, but is not without his contributions) are being decisive.

But, done is done, on to a new day, etc., etc., and we need to catch a wolf. So.

Opinions:
Well, obviously the Lovers are okay.
I'm not sure what to make of Mith.
It strikes me that Lottie has often come across as "oh, dear, did I do something?" while still being innocent. So.....well, I'll investigate.
phantom is still iffy, but I'm still not ready to lynch him yet.
Boro seems innocenter and innocenter to me.
Not sure about the rest.

Oh, lastly - Yay, Glorfy!
Old 02-01-2011, 09:40 AM   #578
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Well Idont' do plans for myself but I just felt it was a more elegant solution. So whose psyche shall we analyse wildly? There are some dark places there to rival Moria...

Old 02-01-2011, 09:59 AM   #579
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirel View Post
On the whole if I had to bet now I'd go for a triumvirate of Glirdan, Sally and Loslote, so I'd better check if there are any actual relationships between them...
Just popping in - I'll be back more in a few hours - but I wanted to comment on that. That suggestion of who the 'pack' is is wrong in so many ways. Not just because I can personally say that one out of three is, in fact, innocent. That's not helpful, I'm aware of this. But another one - Glirdy - has a definite wolf persona. When he's a wolf, you can tell. He's not a wolf. I won't say whether or not he's a cobbler, but I think there are more obvious cobbler suggestions. So, in my mind, that's two out of three that are most defintely not wolves. Sally doesn't strike me as anything other than her normal, cupcakey self. Aaaand there's (likely) three of his 'pack' that seem like nothing even close to wolves to me.

On the whole, I'm thinking Ang might be one of our cobblers. His long, long talk about double edged innocence basically served to turn that post into a giant theoretical talk while still sounding pretty and easy enough to read. It basically boils down to "innocents act innocent" - which, while true, does not require nearly that many words to say.

His responce to Sally was more innocent, admittedly. That's really the only thing keeping me from labelling him a cobbler.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:03 AM   #580
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Sigh. We are going to have to face up to the phantom question eventually. You've broadly agreed with him since that one major bout, Mith. I trust you and pathologically can't trust him.

What, however, do you think of my more substantive actual suspicions?

I'm going to go away and do some Academic Work I'm afraid (Tuesday is a heavy day for me in theory yet I've done nothing so far). I'm sure I'll return to find much debate of interest.

Yeah, I can see what's going for this Morse code esque system, elron. And I'm not really qualified to examine its defences. It's just really not the way I roll. In the best case scenario, we still have a Seer and Glorfindel; we certainly have at least one; and I suppose my predisposition is in these less rational forces rather than a System to end all Systems
Old 02-01-2011, 10:09 AM   #581
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

"long, long" talk, Loslote? Two of my nine paragraphs, and I thought it an important point to defend not only my own position but also my view of Mith and wilwa. I regard the most important part of that little autobiography, though, as being the bit that touches on you...
Old 02-01-2011, 10:11 AM   #582
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I don't know I ever trust the phantom but I have known him be that bossy when being the architect of a village victory however I am not going to gun for him yet because as has been remarked this place is quiet enough already. He'll keep with the caveat that I am a bit wary of his border collie act re voting.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:15 AM   #583
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote View Post
Glirdy - has a definite wolf persona. When he's a wolf, you can tell. He's not a wolf. I won't say whether or not he's a cobbler, but I think there are more obvious cobbler suggestions.
Hardly going to take that on trust from you right now, am I? Have a care, Loslote; you're creating exactly the form of alliance that was the glue missing from my case. Give some solid examples, if you like, of what you mean by this. I note only right now that Glirdan is playing well, helpful, articulate and vigilant, and that makes me want to be very cautious. I have much solider feelings about you.

And - "sally is her usual cupcakey self"? Come, what colourless piffle. I gather that sally is for some reason known as a cupcake, but I really don't see how that has a bearing on her guilt or innocence.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:28 AM   #584
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

First off:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angu
Glirdan's defence of wilwa is strong, well expressed and convincing - even if arguably only a wolf has the knowledge to be so persuasive.
Did you miss the part where I said it was all meta-reasoning?? Trying to twist my words into something its not?

I see that there is a general consensus on how we would like the dead to give the vote and I'm in agreement with Boro that we should also state who we would like them to check. I also have to agree with Boro that Glorfy should remain hidden. I think Glorfy would help us more by staying hidden cuz at least this way xe could find other non-wolves.

At first when I read Angu's, as elron so put it, "tome", I felt uneasy. After re-reading, I still feel that way. It seems like he's just finding the smallest excuse to bring suspicion to everyone else and it just seems liks an all too easy way for a Wolf to throw suspcion off of himself.

Xed with some Miths, Angus and a Lottie

Last edited by Glirdan; 02-01-2011 at 10:31 AM.
Glirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:54 AM   #585
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Annoyingly the crucial and abundant work I have to do about Renaissance Ireland is actually quite interesting as well. However, this thing is at a pretty exciting stage and keeps distracting me from it. And vice versa. Will probably mishandle both...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glirdan View Post
I think Glorfy would help us more by staying hidden cuz at least this way xe could find other non-wolves.
Undecided on this one, but we are so short on solid information that I really can't help wanting Glorfindel the Beloved to break some tension...

I feel really bad about elron's last post actually. There's a sort of mad collective conformity in this village, er, camp, which she endorses, straight down the line, numerous times -

- "not sure" on people she's been prominent in helping kill
- in favour of the technocratic elite with their elaborate plan that involves evil counting
- the phantom could be a wolf ,but for some reason we shouldn't possibly interrogate him yet
- the lovers are innocent (well, yeahhh...)
- Loslote is a scatty innocent

It's just...unconfrontational and platitudinous. There are wolves in this camp. Elron, who do you suspect? At the moment the closest thing you have to a suspect appears, in my view risibly, to be Mith...
Old 02-01-2011, 10:55 AM   #586
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Which would make sense if Ang had been under much suspicion, which I can't say I have noticed. Only Loslote after he said he suspecter her and now you in the same circumstances.

Ang and I are are of the old and nearly extinct breed of instinctive, intuitive players. It seems now that analysis and theorising or "in crowd" refs are more tolerated. I don't know for sure if Ang is a wolf, or cobbler or whatever but expecting a cross referenced list or something from him would be like getting Shadowfax to pull a cart.

Need to pop out briefly then I will return.....

Old 02-01-2011, 11:09 AM   #587
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glirdan View Post
Xed with some Miths, Angus and a Lottie
Don't call him Angus please... I'll go all ISIHAC and feel I should tell him "You'll have had your tea!" And then only answer to Mrs Trellis..

Old 02-01-2011, 11:22 AM   #588
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

arrrrrrrghanother thing I want to note before go off on my several-hours-delayed hike to the library is that Loslote and Glirdan, though each, as Mith helpfully points out, do insta-react defensively to me, do so in very different ways, ways that reinforce my strong suspicion of Loslote and weaken my worry about Glirdan. In that, Glirdan thinks I'm a wolf and Loslote thinks I'm a cobbler.

A wolf is much more likely to make cobbler accusations (I think we've gone over this before), because they know the person they accuse is not a wolf. It enables them to harness some of that ring of truth that belongs authentically to an innocent. It's also much more lordly, reasonable, chilled out. Less frightened. Whereas the innocent straight out accuses someone of being a wolf because they think it might well be so.

INNOCENT: (to INNOCENT 2 and WOLF): You two are guilty.

INNOCENT 2: Take that back now, wolf!

WOLF: (flicking ash off end of cigarette holder) Whatever, cobbler.

I am inclined now to suspect Elron more than Glirdan and Loslote more than Sauron.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:43 AM   #589
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Phew! Made it home through the snow!

I'm now going to stay put for the rest of the day, so I should be on quite a bit.

First lunch- then posting.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:00 PM   #590
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Back at long last and catching up. I'm so tired I could spend hours just staring at the wall, I'm quite sure this isn't normal. Just don't expect me to be at my sharpest toDay.
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:07 PM   #591
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Quote:
A wolf is much more likely to make cobbler accusations (I think we've gone over this before), because they know the person they accuse is not a wolf. It enables them to harness some of that ring of truth that belongs authentically to an innocent. It's also much more lordly, reasonable, chilled out. Less frightened. Whereas the innocent straight out accuses someone of being a wolf because they think it might well be so.
But I do think you're a cobbler. You're attracting too much attention for me to call you a wolf. Under normal circumstances, yeah, I'd point fingers and call wolf, but in this game, there are just as many cobblers as wolves. It's just as likely that you would be one as it is likely that you would be the other. Since you look more like a cobbler than you look like a wolf, I'm going to call you a cobbler.

Quote:

I also wanted to mention that this amused me greatly. ^.^
Old 02-01-2011, 12:11 PM   #592
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Okay, I don't have as much time left as I would like, and with Angu's "tome" post and with his flip-flop of suspecting me, I am very leery and would like a closer look at him, because if I remember correctly, he did the same thing on Day 1 as well. However, I do vaguely remember him being like this when he was innocent in games from the olden days (aka, about five years ago ). Still, it's just not sitting well with me. I'll be back.

EDIT: Xed with Lottie
Old 02-01-2011, 12:13 PM   #593
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

This morning, I was having the same problems as Ang. The BD was temporarily not loading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Glad as I am that I have said something sensible for once, it does occur that we could totally eliminate any wolf anticipation by just stating the criteria for the day depending on who we have left - There are lots of ways of doing it someone with numbers in name, one word name.... but for today odds and evens is just fine. Of course we don't have to vary the system at all but if pointing out we could stymies a wolftrick
Well, I think the odds and evens is simple and can't be affected by the lynches. The only way it gets screwed up is if the baddies hijack the dead thread. But as long as the dead know what we want them to do, and there's a trail, Agan's plan will continue to work.

Which is why I brought up yesterday, if the dead went with Agan's plan than Nessa went unchecked, for the plan to continue being of use, we're going to have to tell the dead to either check the Nessa or today's lynch. Phantom wanted to put this off until later, because maybe finding out today's lynch could be more informative then finding out Nessa's role. Which is a fair enough point, but if we wait to spin around in circles about it, it's going to get all jacked up.

I'm proposing a method that will

1) Tell the dead whether we want them to check Nessa or Today's lynch.

2) So we have a clear trail to follow for ourselves, and we don't screw up what the dead are trying to tell us.

So, instead of just our lynch votes, I think we make it plain to see what we want the dead to do. Easiest thing I can think of is.

Check _____ (insert Nessa or Today's lynch )

Dead will then go by majority rules, and if there's some tricky attempt to tie it. Then the first person who reached the vote total.

This way dead will see what we want them to do, and can continue giving the extra vote with the odds/evens plan. And we also have a trail to follow back to, so we don't screw up our end in botching what info the dead give us. Make sense? Simple?

Edit: crossed since phantom's post.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:31 PM   #594
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

(Here's the post I was going to post a few hours ago before the site went down.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro
This nullifies that double-lynch yesterday *glares at phantom and Lottie*.
Oh, whatever. Some people wanted Nessa, others wanted Lommy. Why don't you wait and see what they are before glaring.
Quote:
One more thing before sleepy time...Glorfy. Reveal when you want to, don't listen to phantom.
Whatever. If Glorfy saved himself last night then there isn't any reason not to reveal. He's going to die tonight anyway. May as well know the identity of one person.
Quote:
No. It's best if we tell the dead exactly what we want now.
Well then- what do you think? I would say that if the Dead find Lommy to be guilty then they should just keep checking our lynches, but if she turns out innocent they should check Nessa, for it would perhaps make that lynch particularly telling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ang
That honour goes to Loslote. I believe her implication that she caused the double-lynch by accident, but her stress on this accident, a preemptive fanning off of blame, looks really bad. Also, read her posts yesterday's and no one else's. The consistency of wolf-perspective they show, given their rarity and brevity, is really noticeable. On the whole then I think her guilty of murder rather than of shoemaking. A cobbler wouldn't have bothered to try and excuse that double-lynch to her extent. I would like to lynch Loslote today well ahead of anyone else.
I will give her a read-over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ang
Legate's position that lynching Cobblers is a bad thing (the heir of Nogrod's theory) and overt suspicion of phantom is another.
Yeah, I've been wondering if Legate's ill-founded (I believe) attack on me is a sign of innocence, for I cannot imagine a Wolf inviting that sort of thing. I mean really, if you've managed to stay off of Phantom's radar you'd have to be completely unafraid of death to launch any but the most careful and logically sound attack. Or is he counting on that? Risky I'd say.

Daughter's position on me is the more sensible if one is looking simply to survive. Voice a suspicion, but don't actually go so far as to poke at me. Hmmmm... I agree with Ang on this point- that's kind of suspicious.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:11 PM   #595
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elronds_daughter has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom
Well then- what do you think? I would say that if the Dead find Lommy to be guilty then they should just keep checking our lynches, but if she turns out innocent they should check Nessa, for it would perhaps make that lynch particularly telling.
I think this is a good idea.

And I haven't poked at you, phanty, because I honestly don't think you're that much of a threat. My gut tells me you're fishy, but you've been mostly helpful (if very vocal; but I'm sensing that's typical), though half of the helpfulness seems to be agreeing with Boro (who is on my "Sensible" list, by the by). Also, the fishy-gut-feelings don't point to wolfishness, just general muck-up-the-works-but-still-be-helpful-enough-to-be-ignored cobblery.

Now, to do what I was going to before the 'Downs apparently went down (pun intended, sorry).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirel
I feel really bad about elron's last post actually. There's a sort of mad collective conformity in this village, er, camp, which she endorses, straight down the line, numerous times -

- "not sure" on people she's been prominent in helping kill
- in favour of the technocratic elite with their elaborate plan that involves evil counting
- the phantom could be a wolf ,but for some reason we shouldn't possibly interrogate him yet
- the lovers are innocent (well, yeahhh...)
- Loslote is a scatty innocent

It's just...unconfrontational and platitudinous. There are wolves in this camp. Elron, who do you suspect? At the moment the closest thing you have to a suspect appears, in my view risibly, to be Mith...
Grumble-grumble-I-really-should-start-phrasing-things-more-decisively-grumble. <kicks self>

I can't see how I've been "prominent in helping kill" anyone except Lommy. Who I did think was off. From Day one, if you recall. If you're referring to my calling Lommy an enigma, that's because there are always things about her that I can't pin down.

I never said phantom could be a wolf. I said he seemed fishy. Which I still think he does. But (as explained above), it's not wolfishly fishy.

Mith is currently on my radar, mostly because I can't get a read on her yet. Which is puzzling.

Yes, there are wolves. For all we know, they could be the quiet, busy-in-real-life ones.

Okay, that's all for my self-defense. (That sort of thing never ends well.)

I think Boro's recent method (in conjunction with the original plan...Agan's, wasn't it? I got a bit lost that Day) is a good one. I'm really not sure why anyone is reluctant on this. Don't we want to know about the Dead before we die ourselves?

EDIT: Right, duh, of course it was Agan's plan. My brain apparently took an unexpected leave.

Last edited by elronds_daughter; 02-01-2011 at 06:19 PM.
elronds_daughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:07 PM   #596
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I'm sorry to have to be saying this again, but apologies again for not being around. It's been a combination of RL plus connection failures.

More when I've read things.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:55 PM   #597
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Attention
Due to technical difficulties, the Day has been extended by 24 hours. DL is now 11pm EST tomorrow (February 2).

We now return you to your regularly scheduled lynching.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:12 PM   #598
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Silmaril

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote View Post
But I do think you're a cobbler. You're attracting too much attention for me to call you a wolf. Under normal circumstances, yeah, I'd point fingers and call wolf, but in this game, there are just as many cobblers as wolves. It's just as likely that you would be one as it is likely that you would be the other.
Okay. The village is getting smaller, and I'm pretty confident we're down at least one cobbler (Nogrod). Two if BG was evil, or if Fea or any more of the lynchees was one. Whereas it seems very unlikely we've sent more than one wolf to Mandos yet. So... is it really Cobbler-hunting time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elronds_daughter View Post
And I haven't poked at you, phanty, because I honestly don't think you're that much of a threat. My gut tells me you're fishy, but you've been mostly helpful (if very vocal; but I'm sensing that's typical), though half of the helpfulness seems to be agreeing with Boro (who is on my "Sensible" list, by the by). Also, the fishy-gut-feelings don't point to wolfishness, just general muck-up-the-works-but-still-be-helpful-enough-to-be-ignored cobblery.
What I said to Lottie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elra
I can't see how I've been "prominent in helping kill" anyone except Lommy. Who I did think was off. From Day one, if you recall. If you're referring to my calling Lommy an enigma, that's because there are always things about her that I can't pin down.
Yes, I know, you said this:
Quote:
Glad the Lommy-enigma (she always is, to me) is gone, yes.
But that sounds rather like you just lynched her on general principles.

Quote:
Mith is currently on my radar, mostly because I can't get a read on her yet. Which is puzzling.
Really? I think Mith is about the most innocent-looking person in the village at the moment.

Quote:
Yes, there are wolves. For all we know, they could be the quiet, busy-in-real-life ones.
So... you're not going to bother looking?

Quote:
I think Boro's recent method (in conjunction with the original plan...Agan's, wasn't it? I got a bit lost that Day) is a good one. I'm really not sure why anyone is reluctant on this. Don't we want to know about the Dead before we die ourselves? .
Yes, but the problem is that if the, er, Evil Dead manage to derail it– or even if there's simply a screw-up– we would be basing our suspicions on wrong information. So it's actually quite a gamble. On the other hand, it is frustrating to be left in the dark as we are now, and in fact we are quite handicapped by having no wolvish connections to trace. But Boro's breathless enthusiasm for the whole thing is starting to worry me.

EDIT:X'd with Moddess.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:32 PM   #599
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
Okay. The village is getting smaller, and I'm pretty confident we're down at least one cobbler (Nogrod). Two if BG was evil, or if Fea or any more of the lynchees was one. Whereas it seems very unlikely we've sent more than one wolf to Mandos yet. So... is it really Cobbler-hunting time?
There's a difference between actively looking for Cobblers (as opposed to wolves) and drawing a conclusion about a particular person, though. Ang jumped out at me (both in the attention-grabbing way and the attacking way ), so I looked at him. Now that I think he's a Cobbler, I'll hardly be pressing for his lynch.

Elron-Hubbard confuses me. On the one hand, she looks like a semi-newbie who's probably innocent. On the other hand, she seems awfully concerned with how she looks:

Quote:
Okay, that's all for my self-defense. (That sort of thing never ends well.)
As well as a very conciliatory tone. But, all things considered, I'd say it's probably just newbieishness.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:20 PM   #600
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Oh what is going on here?

Ang is suspicious because after a long absence he makes a long post? You are saying it would be better if he flipped in and made some anodyne comment and offsodded? With Greenie doing her cat thing (wall staring) I would be quite grateful if you don't lynch the only person on my continent who speaks. It is possible that the wolves felt I was the most innocent person left too in which case I might not be around longer. At least can you find some better reason than he wrote a long post that didn't toe the party line?

I'm on the radar because someone can't get a handle on me? Well sweetie that is your problem not mine. I am not a bally suitcase. I am not meant to have a handle.

Are there only cobblers in this village? ..really communicationg with the dead is fine but we can't lynch retrospectively. If we want to win we can't rely on this - we don't have the time and it is the living wolves we have to find.

YEah I know I am grouchy I have just woken up on sofa to see someone explaining (by ripping one apart) what part of a slug is good to eat. I didn't need to see that. Off to bed for a bit.

Completely off topic and useless - but Nerwen, I am sure I am not alone in holding your nation in my thought at the moment as yet another natural disaster threatens. Hope you and yours are ok.