The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2010, 11:56 AM   #881
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
You're quite right skip. The two that have chocolate chips in are cookies.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:25 PM   #882
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
You're quite right skip. The two that have chocolate chips in are cookies.
Kath, stop confusing the non-English folk with your pictures!

(Btw skip, that was me trying to quote Kath- fixed now)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
Don't let them confuse you, it's quite simple. Cookies are what websites put in your computer. Biscuits and scones are what you put into your stomach.
Oh yeah, that's true too.

Last edited by Eönwë; 03-31-2010 at 11:18 AM. Reason: fixed nassty tagses
Eönwë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 04:33 PM   #883
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurinquë View Post
Hey, you weren't the one that paid me Ł30 to send page notes! Where is that money you promised me Rune?
What about instead of money, you get cookies with bits of beef?

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 04:59 PM   #884
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
*is all sneaky* Hey, everyone, I'll give you biscuits with chunks of Better Quality Bacon if you agree to boycott Rune's "Quality" Beef.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:34 AM   #885
Isabellkya
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Isabellkya is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Or.. you could just have a Bacon Maple Bar. Then there would be no arguing of cookies, biscuits, scones...

(A maple bar doughnut, with strips of bacon on the top.)
Old 03-30-2010, 04:26 PM   #886
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Pipe

Last weekend Skip Spence decided to make the trip acros The Sound to visit me in Copenhagen.

We just wanted to have a few pints and maybe a good party, unfortunately the latter never materialised due to three factors. Easter, money problems and the x-factor.

Many people had left Copenhagen to be with their families during easter, it was late in the month, which always means less people are about and most significantly it was the X-factor final. . . for some reason they decided to make the biggest X-factor show ever at the parken stadium. This resulted in very few people out in the night life. So when me and Skip walked to Nřrrebro we only found a few bars with anything going on. . .

Anyways we managed to have a good time with quite a few beers, laughs and we even made it home safe.

Skippy was good company as always and very entertaining, I cannot say what we talked about as I belive this is a family site. . .but yeah, entertaining.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:17 AM   #887
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Thumbs up

Aww, Rune and Skip.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:45 AM   #888
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
Skippy was good company as always and very entertaining, I cannot say what we talked about as I belive this is a family site. . .but yeah, entertaining.
Oh as far as I can remember, all we ever talked about was the finer, most cultured points of Tolkien's authorship.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:59 PM   #889
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye yet again...

Sally, Mnemo, and I have gotten together a couple times in recent months. Sorry- no epic pictures this time around, but we did have lots of fun!

The get-togethers were largely defined by playing a LotR/Barrow-Downs themed D&D campaign that I wrote. Duck and Sally showed considerable skill in figuring out the various riddles and references throughout the game and turning them to their advantage. Here are just a few of the things their characters (a Rogue from Dale and Paladin from Minas Tirith) did during the course of their quest.
  • cheered up a thoroughly depressed Tom Bombadil
  • scaled Tol Brandir
  • summoned a bigger fish (kudos if you know the reference )
  • engaged "Darth Wader" in combat
  • rescued Peter Hampton from Hookbill's castle
  • set Treebeard on fire
  • called Nob a "slowcoach"
  • battled a mob of penguins in Lommy's house
  • led noobs into a chat skwerl death-trap
  • killed the imposter Kent
  • bluffed a rather dim-witted Tumnus
  • maimed Anakin Skywalker
  • convinced Alien to leave Phantom's dwelling
  • passed a deadly series of Indiana Jones booby-traps

There was much much more, but to really get the full story you'd just have to play the campaign. Anyway, it was great fun writing and administering the game, and I feel quite fortunate to know people that I can truly geek out with.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:27 PM   #890
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eorl of Rohan has just left Hobbiton.
Wow, I'm really envious of you, Phantom.
No one I know in real life even knows English, let alone the Barrow-Downs.

Anyone from South Korea? *hopefully looks around*
Eorl of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:52 AM   #891
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
[*]killed the imposter Kent
Hahaha, I approve of that action. Well done you three.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:11 AM   #892
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
...Yeah, I still feel kind of bad for that, as all game!Boro told us to do was get rid of him...

Then again, he was stupid enough to be bluffed into leaning over the top of a very, very steep tower, with these kind of scruffy-looking adventurers standing behind him...
Old 04-16-2010, 09:20 AM   #893
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
  • convinced Alien to leave Phantom's dwelling
Gosh! How did they mange that? That's like untying the Gordian Knot!
Old 05-07-2010, 02:07 PM   #894
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Yesterday Laurinquë and I had the great pleasure of meeting Hookbill the Goomba. It was one of the grandest days of my life, Downers really are wonderful people. We didn't talk about the Downs too much, more Doctor Who than anything else; but you really couldn't expect anything very different. Also, I now know that Hookbill is more than willing to push people (such as myself) into moving trams for his own amusement.
I also learned that Hookbill is a tea-snob who will ONLY drink Twinings' tea. . . well, mostly. I realised that running into windmills isn't really a very good idea. Furthermore, Hookbill's brothers are strange blokes. Lauri and I were greeted with "And who are you on the Barrow-Downs?" I'm guessing from that that this was somewhat of a normal occurrence. . . Hookbill also made us Jelly Baby milkshakes (which were lovely) and tea (which we drank a lot of).

I should think that pictures will come later, since my mother took five or six of them of all of us together in various places (like Mordor, for instance).
Old 05-10-2010, 02:31 PM   #895
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I’m much belated in writing this, as usual.
It’s now already two weeks since I’ve come back from Jena (Germany) where I attended the 2010 Tolkien Seminar. It was very interesting, but what I enjoyed most was meeting Estelyn Telcontar again. (for the 5th time!) We arrived and met the day before and shared a room in the Hostel, so we had the evening and next morning to ourselves for chatting and strolling around in Jena, visiting a museum and enjoying meals in cosy restaurants. Esty has become a very dear friend!

At the Seminar I also met Shadowfax again, who has joined the Downs only recently, but whom I already know from the Swiss Tolkien Society. (which sadly doesn’t exist anymore ) It's always a pleasure to talk with him.

Oh, and I finally bought my own copy of Esty's book "Music in Middle-earth" and she signed it for me - so it was worth waiting for! (and I had something to read on the 7 hours of train journey)
Old 06-23-2010, 01:34 PM   #896
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
A Teaser:

This past weekend has been an Upstate New York convention of Downers including Mac, Rikae, Nienna, Mira, Kath, Wilwa, Boro, Bethberry, Nogrod, Greenie, Lommy, Aganzir, and Brinniel with the occasional addition of various of our family members.

A true rendition shall follow, but some highlights include:

-Kath driving a vehicle with an automatic transmission for the first time

-Fea's first trip outside the country and her subsequent difficulty getting back in

-Nogrod acquiescing that the First Day of a werewolf game is useless, and Fea trying to convince people not to vote at random on the First Day because those are important

-The Wereduckling identifying Mac as a werewolf, Nog as the werebear, and some unknown individual as the ranger

-B88 dressed in drag and almost being lost to the tender mercies of Canada (not at the same time)

More to follow, with pictures...
Old 06-23-2010, 01:43 PM   #897
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Oooh. So jealous. It's not like I wont be meeting Aganzir soon anyway, but I'm jealous all the same.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:44 PM   #898
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I suppose for me it starts at work on Thursday afternoon when I texted Mirandir to see if she would mind leaving for Geneva Saturday morning instead of Friday night. She didn't get that message, but she spontaneously called me about thirty seconds after, asking if I would mind her leaving for my house Thursday night instead of Friday afternoon.

Lo! I received a Mira and a Nienna so late on Thursday that it had technically become Friday. We stayed up gabbing and eventually got to sleep. I got to bring Ni to work with me on Friday, and Friday night the three of us had girly bonding time involving white chocolate mousse and Alice in Wonderland (the new one) and loads of jokes and teasing and love.

Saturday morning occurred. We provisioned ourselves with fresh farm stand produce and traversed our way to the Ithaca airport, where Boromir88 eagerly awaited our arrival, since his flight was scheduled for 11:45am, we arrived at 11:37am, and he'd managed to land somewhere closer to 11:26. I slowed down enough for him to jump in, briefly stopped to put sunscreen on my driver's side arm (which was turning a lovely shade of truck driver red), and then Ni and I chatted whilst Mira and Boromir88 napped in the back. There are adorable pictures which no doubt someone will provide later.

Having informed the Mac and Rikae household we would arrive around 1pm, I showed my travel estimate prowess by pulling up to the house around 1:03pm. Wilwa had already arrived, and we were hug-tackled by the children. The girls learned my fear of snakes and promptly found one in the very lovely garden to bring over and show me against my will. Until I realized the power of having a really good camera: you can only use it if you never bring a snake near me again. I was safe from serpents ever after, and many pictures were taken by the younglings. Mac and I made a grocery store run and we lazed for the afternoon, playing with the girls and falling ever more in love with all of them. We cooked out of doors alongside their local Fingerlake and played the most intense game of Duck Duck Goose I've ever partaken in.

When Boromir and Macalaure were their respective ducks and geese, it became a full contact sport! At one point I believe we had more geese than ducks!

I was taken hostage by the children and Nienna and Mirandir rode valiantly to my rescue, which was quite excellent, as the soccer net they were using to bind my wrists and ankles rather hurt when they yanked at it.

The next day we slept... not so late. The girls woke us, which was quite all right, and Mac commenced with his morning duty of providing us all with coffee. I sleepily found myself presented with a cup of steaming hot black coffee, brewed to my favorite specifications without even needing to ask!

And then!

We all realized it was Father's Day and called our respective dads.

Ring, ring, ring.

"Hello?"

"Hi, Mama, is dad there?"

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing. It's Father's Day."

And so on. At one point I believe there were at least five phone conversations with Barrowdowner fathers occurring at once.

Some time after lunch, Boromir, Mirandir, and I decided that the most brilliant idea we'd ever heard was Nap Time, and proceeded to sink into desperately deep sleep for several hours. After this we ended up playing mini golf at a charmingly petite venue and competing less about the game as than for the innuendo we could make out of it. And then ice cream.

Now, for those who don't know, the Fingerlakes Region of Upstate NY is renowned for its vinyards. And while I'd never considered the possibility of mixing wine with ice cream, when I saw that the ice cream place sold peach zinfindel ice cream (must be 21 years or older to buy!) I really had to insist on trying the blend.

Let me just say, whomever decided putting wine in ice cream was a genius. Mirandir's chocolate cabernet was equally wonderful.

When we got back to the house, Celuien had arrived (sorry I forgot to mention you in the first post!) with her marvelous cobbler (made of peaches, not of players; I asked). Shortly after, Macalaure arrived with Brinniel, who'd flown into Rochester.

And then just moments later, as I asked rhetorically when the Finns would arrive, and walked outside with a glass of iced tea, I saw them pull up and park.

"THEY'RE HERE!!!!!!!"

And then there was hugging and squealing and excitement, and those of us who knew each other already pounced even more enthusiastically, and we realized that the wereduckling was terrified of Nogrod!

Nog and I made a run to the grocery store to pick up the very American purchase of beer and bacon, and we hit it off immediately. Upon our return we sat outside and combated the rather significant mosquito population of Mac and Rikae's back yard. While I can post only a few dozen bites, poor Boro had a solid coating of bites spanning one arm, and Mac had dozens, many of which were clustered around his ankles.

All was good fun until I was rather frightened by an exceptionally dodgy accident involving nobody but myself, and then we all ended up inside and it was yet again wonderful. I'm honestly too exhausted to remember what we did, but I know we didn't go to bed until late!

The next morning we were obliged to lose Ni and Mira, so we packed their belongings back into my truck and the three of us with Vanilwa and Kath sojourned back to my house where those who hadn't met my Sibling did, and where we somewhat promptly continued the journey.

We did a quick drive by tour of some Amish farms down the road from me and then went to my grandmother's expanse of property where I'd promised Kath she could attempt to drive my vehicle which is larger than any she'd ever find in Europe, and which is automatic transmission.

As I turned off the road and down the road-trail that skirts the soybean fields, Wilwa expressed her concern that we were headed straight for trees and she could see nowhere for me to put my truck. Have no fear! We drove through the woods and to another field where I put my truck in park and let Kath behind the wheel. Mira and my Sibling went wandering with a rifle looking for things to shoot at, and the rest of us drove around and around the field while Kath expressed her glee at how easy it is to drive an automatic car with power steering.

She drove part of the path back up to Grandma's, and then Wilwa drove us home, deciding that she must own her own version of my vehicle.

At that point we departed sans Ni and Mira, which was awful except that I remembered I'd see them in two weeks again, and then we decided upon driving straight to Watkins Glen instead of going there from Geneva. Since it was the same distance either way, I took them in a different direction and we talked a great deal and became very close on the ride (which came within five miles of where Ni, Mira, Lari, and I went to college and where Mira still goes). Conveniently that direction also took us past the farm stand again, so our traveling came equipped with fresh cherries, strawberries, and garlic and herb cheddar.

Though I was greeted at Watkins with some personal bad news, the day was still stunningly wonderful, and the agreement is that Watkins is Rivendell. Greenie was blown away to the point of stunned silence, and it was quickly decided that my reputation for getting people lost is completely absurd, since I was the go to person for directions and never once failed on them.

Boro and Lommy joined us for the car ride back to Geneva, and some purchases (such as chocolate) were made. Celuien joined us again upon our arrival and we were again reminded how wonderful she is.

And then Werewolf began! Rikae lit a small bonfire for us and we rekindled our war with the mosquitoes, and after a bit of cross dressing and some valiant attempts to teach Boromir to waltz, we settled around the fire and allowed the shadows to make us feel sinister.

In the very first game I was a wolf! And so was Nogrod! And someone must have misread their role because we had absolutely no idea whom our companion was! And so we spent a great deal of time trying to subtly find out who the third wolf was. I was killed and discovered to be a wolf, for reasoning that was quite faulty, but also clearly lucky.

The next game, since we were all bit up (except the internationals, whom the mosquitoes seemed to neglect) was indoors and Nog and I formed a coalition of madness that actually drove Wolf-Lommy to her own brand of madness! Nog and I were both Ordos, of course, but the point was more that our lack of roles meant a lack of inhibitions and a great deal of playful insanity. Eventually (it was around two in the morning, or perhaps three) the last votes were cast and we went to bed. Kath, Wilwa, and I fell asleep listening to Lommy and Agan murmuring in Finnish.

And then yesterday we drove to Niagara Falls. Most of us took the boat ride under the falls, which Nog described as, "A bit humid." Pictures will reveal that it looks like we swam to the falls as opposed to taking a boat. Bethberry was with us with her husband and son, and I must say, she is as lovely and kind a person in real life as she is online. I'm exceptionally grateful for her generosity and sweetness.

And there I must leave you for now, which is tragic since we've reached the part where I was snuck across the border into another country without a passport!

The part where I had to explain to a persistent border guard that I knew all of these strange people off the internet and that we wanted to get into Canada for all of the best reasons, and that I promise we're not creepy!

But that will have to wait, I'm afraid. You'll just have to be patient...
Old 06-23-2010, 04:06 PM   #899
Keeper of Dol Guldur
Shade of Carn Dűm

Keeper of Dol Guldur has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
Mac and I made a grocery store run and we lazed for the afternoon, playing with the girls and falling ever more in love with all of them.
Way to forget Wilwa and I were there too!

Quote:
I'm honestly too exhausted to remember what we did, but I know we didn't go to bed until late!
Apples to Apples! And shower time.

Quote:
Greenie was blown away to the point of stunned silence, and it was quickly decided that my reputation for getting people lost is completely absurd, since I was the go to person for directions and never once failed on them.
*would like to point out that it is ridiculously hard to get lost at Watkins Glen unless wandering around with Lari who is terrified of graveyards and thus cuts off two paths*
"I come from yonder...Have you seen Baggins? Baggins has left, he is coming. He is not far away. I wish to find him. If he passes will you tell me? I will come back with gold." - Khamul the Easterling
Keeper of Dol Guldur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:35 PM   #900
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper of Dol Guldur View Post
Way to forget Wilwa and I were there too!
Actually, love, I remembered as I was writing, but didn't change it for the following reasons: I was at work and my boss had just arrived, I didn't want to have to edit any pronouns to reflect the added number of people, and I knew you'd correct me so I didn't have to worry about people being mistaken for very long.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:23 PM   #901
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

One pic, anyway...

And here we have captured Macalaure, Greenie, and B88 (all ordos) outside during our exceptionally ambianced werewolf game around the campfire. Please don't ask how many mosquito bites we got playing this...

Old 06-23-2010, 09:35 PM   #902
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
And here we have captured Macalaure, Greenie, and B88 (all ordos) outside during our exceptionally ambianced werewolf game around the campfire. Please don't ask how many mosquito bites we got playing this...

Did you actually go camping or did you just have a campfire?
You have candles! I love candles. ^.^
Old 06-24-2010, 07:33 AM   #903
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Rikae lit a small fire in the back part of their back yard and as we let the fire die, we put a circle of candles around it so we could still see each other's faces in the dark.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:46 AM   #904
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Rikae lit a small fire in the back part of their back yard and as we let the fire die, we put a circle of candles around it so we could still see each other's faces in the dark.
That's wonderful.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:00 PM   #905
Ibrîniđilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrîniđilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrîniđilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
The Finns, Diamond, Oddwen, and Joe (sorry, Joe, I didn't catch your Downer name! The curse of bad hearing, alas ) were gathered here in Wisconsin last night, a little tired but in good spirits. Nogrod and Company made it through Chicago without any real problems, and I give them credit for braving the Windy City in the midafternoon --not my cup of tea at all. We don't have any spectacular sights like Niagara to offer, but sometimes a good night's sleep is better than sight-seeing. Which happens with old fogies like me and my husband. They were all on their way to a picnic lunch before noon today -- wish I could've gone, but a thrice delayed appointment will not allow it. It was a true delight meeting my first Downers in the undead flesh, and I hope the rest of the Finns' long trip is spectacular. Hmm, if they'd been here on Monday, we could've shown them a real Midwest tornado, but they got to see a lot of the downed and snapped and uprooted trees. A lot like the ruin of Isengard, I'm sad to say.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:05 PM   #906
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
Wow! Chicago in the afternoon on a weekday!...
Old 06-24-2010, 04:38 PM   #907
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrîniđilpathânezel View Post
The Finns, Diamond, Oddwen, and Joe (sorry, Joe, I didn't catch your Downer name! The curse of bad hearing, alas ) were gathered here in Wisconsin last night, a little tired but in good spirits. Nogrod and Company made it through Chicago without any real problems, and I give them credit for braving the Windy City in the midafternoon --not my cup of tea at all. We don't have any spectacular sights like Niagara to offer, but sometimes a good night's sleep is better than sight-seeing. Which happens with old fogies like me and my husband. They were all on their way to a picnic lunch before noon today -- wish I could've gone, but a thrice delayed appointment will not allow it. It was a true delight meeting my first Downers in the undead flesh, and I hope the rest of the Finns' long trip is spectacular. Hmm, if they'd been here on Monday, we could've shown them a real Midwest tornado, but they got to see a lot of the downed and snapped and uprooted trees. A lot like the ruin of Isengard, I'm sad to say.
*cough* McCaber? *cough*

Also, fail on the weather. Fortunately it missed us here for the most part (at least in my part of Nebraska) but I heard some places had it really bad.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:52 AM   #908
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
When Boromir and Macalaure were their respective ducks and geese, it became a full contact sport!
Hahaha, right? When it was all the kids, I was careful not to sprint around and in some way accidentally run them over. When it was Mac, I didn't care, it became full speed, contact, sliding, diving, and tackling.

Now, where to begin? Plane arrived early, I think I sent a message to Nienna like "Where are you? *sad face*" But I didn't have to wait longer than 5 minutes. In Boston Mira first greeted me with a "Stop being a *beep*, carry my bag." In Ithaca, it was a solid hug, and a "You smell good." The vast difference was slightly disturbing.

I passed out for a bit, until Fea stopped to put on sun screen and then decide I should open my birthday present (my guesses at were epic fails). But who could have guessed Mr. Bacon vs. Monsieur Tofu action figures? I'm very fickle, one of the best presents of recent memory. I was legit like a 5 year old getting a new bike. I think it made Fea, Nienna, and Mira giggle but nauseated at the same time.

We arrive at Mac and Rikae's, my first comment heading around the corner was, "I hope it's not that ugly lime green house." All the artsy students in the truck yell THAT'S NOT LIME GREEN! IT'S PISTACIO!" It wasn't the pistacio [lime] green house though, it was the beautiful blue house across the street.

There's that first week period when student teaching that the kids are curious, but too nervous, as to the new person sitting at the teacher's desk watching everyone. I was the "new boy" and the girls curiousity overtook their nerves within an hour. They began putting all kinds of leaves on my head that supposedly described my personality. The descriptors I received over the weekend: evil, awkward, ugly, smelly, lazy, armpit, pickle. Oh and the combinations they would come up with. Favorite was probably "awkward ugly armpit pickle." I tried to convince them I was 40 and thus completely unfun, but they weren't buying it.

The teasing never became too much, it was all in good fun, and it clearly meant I was accepted and liked by this caring and lovable family. (As confirmed by the oldest one, who apparently told Fea, that I allowed them to steal my things and beat up on me. Two things that are rather common in all my relationships with girls ). It truly was a joy, at times it made me think about having kids myself...and then one of them would splash me with water.

More to come...like the Finns and receiving another fabulous gift, via Agan. My right arm being swollen from nationalistic mosquitos, and the most humorous tan lines you will ever see. Oh, can't forget getting through Canada with no passport, and the journey back into the US, either.

Last edited by Boromir88; 06-25-2010 at 09:02 AM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:13 PM   #909
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Silmaril

My post will be coming up tomorrow. My week with Downers lasted exactly 1 week. I arrived in Geneva to see Mac and Rikae at 1 pm on Friday, and Kath left my town today at 1 pm. So I thought that part was cool!

It was very fun, and my post will be long, so be prepared!!!
Old 06-25-2010, 07:40 PM   #910
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
I would totally post about seeing Kath yesterday and today....but I think miss Wilwa will be covering that.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:37 AM   #911
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
So I have a Phantom, a Shasta, and a Nog all sleeping upstairs at the House of the Phantom. The rest of the House of Nog and Associates (Agan, Lommie, and Greenie) are probably 40 feet from me, snoozing away after a very long but of course brilliant night. I'm cursing myself for not being able to sleep in longer, but now I can plot evil to perhaps do things to them while they sleep. Erm, I mean....

Brief highlights/observations then. And I do mean brief, as I'm still very tired and thus will probably leave stuff out.

Phantom has an enigmatic nose.
Greenie and Phantom whisper at each other far too much to be healthy.
Lommie is snuggle-tastic. (What now, Wilwa, what now?)
Agan and Shasta were dancing out on the balcony last night, and it was super cute.
Shasta entertained us at insane o'clock by singing along with Abigail (my laptop, sadly, not Lhuna) to a bunch of random Disney songs. That kid is just awesome.

Much RL WW was played, much chatting was had, and this little list covers just about nothing, but it's a teaser, etc. Although, funny story time....

Lommie, Noggins, and I went to go tend to the group's grocery needs last night at the nearby(ish) Walmart. On the way there, I realized I hadn't called my mother to tell her I'd arrived safely. (I tend to get lost so she panics if I go somewhere and don't tell her I've gotten to the right place.) I phone her up and it goes like this....

Me: Mom, I got to Omaha okay, but I have a problem.
Mom: ....
Me: Well, I'm sort of lost, alone in a car with two people I don't know, one of them like twice my age, and they just kind of decided to take me away.
Mom: ....And how did this happen exactly?
Me: Well, Phantom just kind of ditched me (f you've heard the story of my near trip to Bostonmoot, you'll know that, among other things, my mother thought Phantom was just going to leave me somewhere along the side of the road) and Shasta got lost on the way (true story, and thus relevant to this tale) so I just kind of got left alone with these people and they just kind of....dude, I'm a bit freaked out because they're gabbling in Finnish now (true story!) and I'm not quite sure what they're planning on doing to me. Yeah....not so much good.
Mom: *blinks several times, pretty much audibly* So....can you leave?
Me: I'm in the car. We're on the highway. I'm kind of trapped. What the what?
Mom: *blinks some more*
Me: *abruptly changes tone* And we're like lost on the way to Walmart (sort of true story, though we really only took a tiny wrong turn) but Phantom didn't answer his phone so we don't know what Shasta wants for dinner and goodness, I'm enjoying this. So....how have you been?
Mom: *twitches*

I'm a freaking horrible person. ^_^

Anyway, off to plot evil whilst they sleep. Obviously more proper details will be up at a later time.

ETA: Oh, and Nog is an evil, evil man.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:44 AM   #912
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
ETA: Oh, and Nog is an evil, evil man.
Mhm. And Agan is a naughty little vixen and I love them both for it. Oh, and I have a humongous girl crush on Greenie, who is super adorable in every sense of the word.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:51 AM   #913
Keeper of Dol Guldur
Shade of Carn Dűm

Quote:
Me: Mom, I got to Omaha okay, but I have a problem.
Mom: ....
Me: Well, I'm sort of lost, alone in a car with two people I don't know, one of them like twice my age, and they just kind of decided to take me away.
Mom: ....And how did this happen exactly?
Me: Well, Phantom just kind of ditched me (f you've heard the story of my near trip to Bostonmoot, you'll know that, among other things, my mother thought Phantom was just going to leave me somewhere along the side of the road) and Shasta got lost on the way (true story, and thus relevant to this tale) so I just kind of got left alone with these people and they just kind of....dude, I'm a bit freaked out because they're gabbling in Finnish now (true story!) and I'm not quite sure what they're planning on doing to me. Yeah....not so much good.
Mom: *blinks several times, pretty much audibly* So....can you leave?
Me: I'm in the car. We're on the highway. I'm kind of trapped. What the what?
Mom: *blinks some more*
Me: *abruptly changes tone* And we're like lost on the way to Walmart (sort of true story, though we really only took a tiny wrong turn) but Phantom didn't answer his phone so we don't know what Shasta wants for dinner and goodness, I'm enjoying this. So....how have you been?
Mom: *twitches*
My dearest sally,

I love you oodles. My mother (bio-Mom and Fea's mom who's totally just adopted me) would have shot me in the face. Painfully. And probably slowly. Did I mention painfully?

Btdubs. Fea and I have just now decided (aka I decided and informed her) that we shall probably be calling you fantastic people at some point later today when we're not sitting at the library where Fea is working and I'm so not getting paid to be. So brace yourself. Natch.

Love, Mira (and Fea by association)
"I come from yonder...Have you seen Baggins? Baggins has left, he is coming. He is not far away. I wish to find him. If he passes will you tell me? I will come back with gold." - Khamul the Easterling
Old 06-26-2010, 08:58 AM   #914
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
My dearest sally,

I love you oodles. My mother (bio-Mom and Fea's mom who's totally just adopted me) would have shot me in the face. Painfully. And probably slowly. Did I mention painfully?

Btdubs. Fea and I have just now decided (aka I decided and informed her) that we shall probably be calling you fantastic people at some point later today when we're not sitting at the library where Fea is working and I'm so not getting paid to be. So brace yourself. Natch.

Love, Mira (and Fea by association)

Heh. She's paranoid but if something actually happened? Not so much. She's like ten inches tall, if that. And....yeah. But screwing with her was fun. ^_^

Oooo, lovely. I'll charge my phone, 'cause it's sort of dead now.

*snuggles the both of you* Also, I want Proper!Mira back, kthnxbye.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:04 AM   #915
Keeper of Dol Guldur
Shade of Carn Dűm

Quote:

Oooo, lovely. I'll charge my phone, 'cause it's sort of dead now.

*snuggles the both of you* Also, I want Proper!Mira back, kthnxbye.
If that fails we can always call Shasta.

And you can have Proper!Mira back when I stop caring about that account's particular post count.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:07 AM   #916
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
If that fails we can always call Shasta.

And you can have Proper!Mira back when I stop caring about that account's particular post count.
Not so much. He doesn't have very good signal here. But I'm putting my phone on the charger right now (and deserting Greenie and Agan to do so, so don't you feel awful) so we'll be ready when you call, sir....I mean, ma'am!

Pfffft, post count, blah.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:07 AM   #917
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

I lied. Post counts matter. Yay 3,500 posts!

*runs, hides from chat skwerls*
Old 06-26-2010, 09:58 AM   #918
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
So I have a Phantom, a Shasta, and a Nog all sleeping upstairs at the House of the Phantom
The bits in bold? The bits I'm not surprised by in the slightest.

PS: This was Kath - oops.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:00 AM   #919
Keeper of Dol Guldur
Shade of Carn Dűm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry View Post
The bits in bold? The bits I'm not surprised by in the slightest.

PS: This was Kath - oops.
Let's just be impressed that he's not on the back of a couch. ...I presume, at least.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:05 AM   #920
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

*pets you all* Nope, unless there's a couch in his room. I'm sitting on one sofa and Agan is on the other with Greenie sort of perched on the back all creeper like.

ETA: Photographic evidence....

Last edited by satansaloser2005; 06-26-2010 at 10:20 AM.