Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2007, 09:46 AM   #481
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Tom:

"Alright, alright! I'll come up with something. Just let's get into the cellar. Hold your tongue for a minute so I can think."

By this point, they had reached the old wooden door. Beneath it was a series of steps that led downward into the basement of the Inn. Tom leaned over and grabbed the handle of the trap door, bracing his feet and tugging in an attempt to get it to budge. For a long moment nothing happened. The children stood wide eyed, saying nothing as they imagined the terrible moment when Kuric would come storming up and catch them out in the open with his Ring.

"Come help me now," Tom called out to Daisy who quickly stepped forward and latched onto the other side of the long bar.

"One-two-three," he panted, "then we'll both tug at the same time."

With one long and determined pull, the hinges creeked in protest, and the door slowly gave way. Tom peered into the stairwell. It was black as night. The steps diappeared into what looked like a large empty hole.

"All right. Everyone be careful. Go slowly and hold each other's hands" Tom closed the trap door behind them and then pushed to the front of the line. The others filed along in back of him. The lad desperately wished he had brought a torch with him. But there was no torch and not the faintest glimmer of light. The children slowly made their way forward in the darkness.

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 05-06-2007 at 11:24 PM.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:59 AM   #482
Elfchick7
Wight

Elfchick7 has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe The Two Sisters

Suddenly the door burst open to reveal an elf-maid.

"Innkeeper," she cried, "I need a room for the night."

The elf-maid, Luriniel, noticed the tense energy of the room. It seemed to her that there was an unresolved conflict amongst the room's occupants. As she continued observing those persons in the room, her eyes caught those of another elf.

For a moment, she thought that he seemed familiar. In fear that he might know her, she dropped her gaze. Still having no response from whoever the innkeeper might be, Luriniel spoke again, "Speak up, if you are the keeper of this inn. My sister is wounded and she urgently needs shelter."

Last edited by Elfchick7; 05-06-2007 at 11:59 AM.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:59 AM   #483
MaskedNicci
Pile O'Bones

Location: At that in-between place between fantasy and reality - between grown-up and child.
MaskedNicci has just left Hobbiton.
The man looked quite content to create this useless small-talk, Alassë realized. He charmingly introduced himself as Elorn, and offered her is services in the traditional fashion.

“It appears that tempers are rising today." He said cordially, "I had thought that the Shire would be a peaceful country, but I guess the variety of races causes friction.”

She narrowed her eyes slightly, then shrugged it off in a nonchalant fashion. "I suppose it does. Personally, I find myself of in indifference to the races. Naturally, I think my own most capable, as is custom. But I will not deny that our differences make us stronger." She peered curiously at him, speaking slowly. "There are bad eggs in every batch, or so they say. It is less about the traditions of the race as a whole, and more about the individual choices we make. It is good to meet you, Elorn. Or, as my race would say, Saesa omentien lle." The familiar phrase fell from her lips easily, but she refrained from changing much of the subject to herself or her native language.

Looking around to give introduction to her change of topics, she said, "I have seen hobbits before, but not much - they always seem to surprise, do they not? One minute, they are of the most cordial and amiable nature. The next, they are fierce and condemning, even though it seems impossible for such a race to strike fear into another." As she had continued to look around the Golden Perch as she spoke, she caught sight of a rough-dressed girl sitting by the window, apparently watching her. Feeling her skin tingle, she tensed, watching the female.

Last edited by MaskedNicci; 05-06-2007 at 10:12 AM.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:16 PM   #484
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Kuric looked at the new arrivals hatefully, especially the elf. Reason had fled his mind and now he was drunk with rage, the elf only complicated the problem. He didn’t understand what was being said to him, all he knew, for the moment, was that his ring was missing and nobody was going to do anything about it.

Something held him together and kept him from attempting to kill the three in front of him, but just kept him at bay. Kuric couldn’t comprehend why everybody wasn’t shocked at his news and knew that he must find the thieves alone. Scanning the room quickly he realized that the thief or thieves knew the value of the treasure they had stolen ergo had left the necklace, while fairly valuable in its own right it paled in comparison to the worth of the ring. They would be smart enough to not stay in the commons area. Kuric thought. “Bah!” Kuric spat, “A pox on all of ya here, I’ll go an’ find ‘em meself”.

Just as Kuric began to move to run outside he caught a glimpse of Tollers coming up to Dick and began to speak to him. Kuric finally thought that he had an ally and was about to run outside thinking his new comrade would be following. As he made his move he hesitated when an elf-maiden burst in to the inn calling for something, Kuric didn’t bother to pay attention and was too concerned with his own affairs to care. Roughly pushing the nosey elf and the unconcerned inn keeper aside, knocking poor Dick down, Kuric began to spring toward the door. “Move out of me way,” Kuric yelled as he made his way for the door, he would run the elf-maid over if it came to it so bent on getting his ring back and making them pay for the theft.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:43 AM   #485
Elfchick7
Wight

Luriniel stepped aside when she realized that the dwarf would walk through to get to the door. He looked very a angry and seemed, to her eyes, under the affects of a strong ale.

Not sure what to make of the situation, Luriniel moved toward the window to see that the grumbling dwarf brought no harm to her wounded sister, who sat outside. Seeing that Nienna was alright, the elf-maid turned back to face the persons in the commons.

Luriniel continued waiting and watching, as she was uncertain as to what her next action should be.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:46 AM   #486
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Dick

Dick heard the female elven voice speak from behind him, but he didn’t turn to look. His attention was fixed on the dwarf, and until Kuric had made up his mind as to whether he was going to murder them all or calm down, Dick wasn’t prepared to turn his back for a moment.

But Kuric only paused briefly, before pushing forward, with a rough curse which included them all. He brushed by the elf with his hand, but Dick received the full force of his shoulder and the innkeeper couldn’t keep his footing. He tumbled to the ground, sending the ale spinning from his hand, and for a moment, he lay as though he would not rise again. Cela was by him instantly, but she had hardly begun to offer him help to his feet when he struggled back up by himself, his face red with indignation.

Kuric had left the inn. He was visible outside the open door. Standing just within it stood the elf, asking for aid. Dick stood, trembling with trapped anger and the attempt to keep it down, unsure of what he should do. His mind tumbled over itself as he tried to remember what Tollers had said, and what the new elf had said, and he also tried to decide what he should do. Should he go after the dwarf, or should he leave him be. Should he let sheriff Woolyfoot know that there was an irate and insane dwarf on the loose? Should he actually patronize Kuric, and apologize, tell him the ring would be found again and restored to him, and the thief punished. Punished? For heaven’s sake, he didn’t even know who stole it.

Toller’s words became clear instantly. He remembered now and before he spoke to the new elf, he turned his eyes towards the young hobbit. A key was missing? Which key was it? No questions now, there was someone to be seen to. He walked forward towards the elf still standing in the doorway, uncertain of what she should do.

“I am so sorry,” he said apologetically. “What may I do for you? A room? Certainly. . . And you have a sister?”
Old 05-07-2007, 09:07 AM   #487
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Lil Hedgethistle

The shouting upset Lil terribly. It upset Iris as well and the two girls drew close together, their hands clasped, and their eyes were wide. Daisy and Tom led the way, running across the garden and courtyard. Dimple, the brother just older that Lil, came behind, making sure the two girls stayed up with the older kids.

At the heavy cellar door they stopped, and Tom struggled to lift it for a moment. He could not do it alone and Daisy stepped forward. The three others stood in terrified silence, waiting with baited breath, and hoping terribly that the dwarf wouldn’t leave the inn before they had time to escape.

With a great heave, the two oldest siblings got the door open. Tom herded the others on before him, down into the darkness, and then shut the door behind him. None of them thought about the difficulty they had had while attempting to open the door - no one considered that opening it from beneath would be even more difficult.

A new danger and fright met them. As the door closed above them, utter and complete darkness closed in around them. They had no light, and after reaching the bottom of the steps and going forward some, no light could reach them from the small cracks in the wooden door. They pressed ahead, all the same. They all felt the danger of being caught by that dwarf, and that fear drove them on, even when the fear of the darkness would have held at least Lil and Iris back.

Lil herself was becoming very sorry for their prank. Stealing from a dwarf may not be wrong, but it was dangerous. Tom had earlier compared a dwarf’s treasure to a dragon's, and he had been surprisingly near the mark. A dragon could scarcely have become as angry as Kuric had over a lost treasure. It had never occurred to her that the dwarf might become so infuriated. Now they were down underground with no light. It was cold and damp down here and it didn’t feel clean. Tom continued to lead them on, but Lil had already lost track of direction.

“Tom?” Lil’s voice wavered and trembled in the darkness. “Tom, I’m scared. Let’s go back.”
Old 05-07-2007, 09:21 AM   #488
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Finduilas is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
It appeared that Alassë was cooling down, until a girl in the inn caught her attention by staring at her. Elorn saw the elf go ridged, and her eyes harden. Elorn wondered what made her so non-trusting, but, it not being his business, he decided to keep his nose out of it.

Another female elf bursting in at the door added to the general excitement of the room. When the dwarf finally stormed out of the room the innkeeper went to greet her. Elorn saw that the innkeeper was in need of a rest, so he wondered if he should go help.

“I’ll be right back, ma’am,” he said turning to Alassë, “it appears the landlord may need help, so please excuse me for a moment.”

Elorn approached Dick and the tired looking elf, and offered his services.

Last edited by Finduilas; 05-07-2007 at 12:05 PM.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:11 AM   #489
Newsman
Animated Skeleton

Newsman has just left Hobbiton.
Vehil watched the angry dwarf leave. He smelled the ale on the dwarf's breath and was thankful no one had been hurt. Vehil moved his hands away from his knives and allowed himself to relax, if only for the moment. Since the confrontation, a new elf had come in calling for a room for her wounded sister.

Well, I better go see if there is anything I can do to help. Vehil moved toward the window where the elf was standing. He hated talking to girls, he had always been bad at it. Still, Vehil took a deep breath and introduced himself to elf maid.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:55 PM   #490
Elfchick7
Wight

Luriniel regarded the elf coolly. He seemed earnest in his desire to help but so had many others.

Without responding to his introduction with one of her own, she spoke calmly, "I thank you for your offer to help. Have you any skill with herbs? My sister has wound that is in great need of attendance." She turned the hobbit who seemed to be the innkeeper, "I will fetch my sister now, if you would be so kind to show me to a room."

Not waiting for the hobbit to answer, Luriniel walked out of the door and helped her sister stand. Together, the elves walked over to the innkeeper.

Nienna surveyed her new surroundings with caution. Her shoulder burned with pain and she winced as she moved forward. Alarmed at the sight of other elves, she turned to Luriniel questioningly. As she received no reaction, Nienna became calm once again.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:53 PM   #491
Newsman
Animated Skeleton

Well that went well. Vehil cringed as the elf-maid moved outside to bring in her sister. The wounded elf looked off guard, and somewhat helpless at first, yet seemed to calm down quickly. Vehil figured that he should probably help as much as he could.

"I do have some knowledge of my herbs, once we get her settled I can try to take a look at it if you wish." Vehil never was as good with healing as any of his other family members. But this was a maid in need, and he had to do the best he could regardless.

He took a quick glance outside and tried to find out what the crazy dwarf was doing. Vehil couldn't help but remember the last time he had been on the recieving end of a Dwarf's anger. He had been lucky to escape that one with his life. Vehil quickly snapped out of his reminiscence, there were matter to attend to now, he would deal with the past later.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:19 PM   #492
Elfchick7
Wight

Nienna looked up at the elf who had offered to help care for her injury in wonder. She could not remember the last time someone had voluntarily offered help. His honesty helpful expression caused her to smile.

"I thank you, sir," she spoke, "it has been a long while since we have seen a friendly face. I am called Nienna and this, my sister, is Luriniel. Your help is much appreciated."

She noticed her sister's upset demeanor and thought to herself, I know that Luriniel does not think that we should trust anyone but I can't spend all of my life running from my father's sin. It is time to move on.

Giving her sister a smile of reassurance, Nienna asked, "Luriniel, where did you say our room was?"

"I am not sure." Luriniel answered. The sisters turned to the innkeeper, who, to them, seemed overwhelmed by the ruckus.

Last edited by Elfchick7; 05-10-2007 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:08 PM   #493
Forest Elf
Haunting Spirit

Location: You say your hurting is over.. It feels like you're out of reach...
Forest Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Gable raised her head at the commotion. She sat and watched as a dwarf came down shouting and trampling around, clearly upset. She wondered what could upset the dwarf, but her ears were refusing to work, even though she was an elf. After a while of studying what was going on around her things finally clicked into place. The dwarf was missing a ring…an elf was injured and needed help.

Gable stood and walked over to the new elves. Then she taking a deep breath and said, “I can get the healer, if you wish me to. He has already helped a few around here.” She looked from one elf to the next, ready to help out. The mystery of the pony’s owner can wait, Gable thought to herself, right now the elf needs help.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:45 PM   #494
Elfchick7
Wight

Luriniel turned in surprise as the new elf joined them. She had not counted on so many elves lodging at the hobbit inn. We will need to depart with haste if anyone recognizes us. It has been very long since we have had close contact with any of our kind but one can never be too careful. If we seem too friendly or too cautious they will begin to ask questions.

"Who is this healer you speak of? Of what race is he? Can he heal such a wound?" Luriniel pointed to Nienna's shoulder. Nienna pulled down her sleeve to reveal a horribly inflamed wound. The flesh all around was swollen and pink and the wound itself was dark shade purple. A rancid odor escaped from the sore and Nienna covered it once again.

Last edited by Elfchick7; 05-10-2007 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:38 PM   #495
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Kuric stomped furiously about; he had circled the building twice, including the stable, and hadn’t seen a trace of any thieves. Kuric always considered himself to be quite the tracker, a veritable ranger, though the truth was far from that. Generally Kuric tracked and hunted big oafish creatures that hardly disguised their tracks, but so caught up in his anger and self-delusion that he was convinced that since he didn’t see any evidence to the contrary that the culpable party must still be in the inn. “They’re trying ta outsmart me” Kuric chuckled. "I won't let that happen," While still furious he was glad for the excitement and loved a hunt especially one with treasure at the end, for truly is there a better treasure than recovering one’s own.

Having decided that the culprits were still in the inn, he remembered a strange elf that had jumped up and feigned to offer help to him. “That blighter, I’ll bet it’d be him that took me ring, and he’ll pay for his theft and lies.” Kuric audibly mumbled to himself.

Jogging back to the inn entrance Kuric slammed open the door again and scanned the room until he found the elf in question, Vehil by name though Kuric did not know it yet. Having found him, Kuric slung his mace over his left shoulder and yelled at him while pointing at him with his right “Elf, stay right there you’ve got to answer for what ye did.”

Last edited by mormegil; 05-08-2007 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:04 PM   #496
Newsman
Animated Skeleton

Vehil looked up from Nienna's wound and became aware of a newcomer. The new elf offered to call a healer. "I can handle this for the moment, but calling a healer may be a good idea. This may go beyond my skill." He looked back to the wound and supressed a wince, this may be beyond his skill already.

The inn door flew open with an audible slam, and the crazed Dwarf was back. “Elf, stay right there you’ve got to answer for what ye did.” he bellowed.

Vehil looked up and saw he was the one being addressed. The mace that rested on the Dwarf's shoulder made him nervous, and his right hand drifted instinctively to one of his knives. "Master Dwarf, I have no idea what I have done to merit this accusation. But rest assured I have nothing to do with this. If you require my help, it's mine to give." He whispered to the elf who had suggested the healer. "Getting the healer here may be a good idea. Who knows what other wounds that mace will inflict."
Old 05-08-2007, 10:41 PM   #497
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
"'Tis alright, Lil. We'll be out of this place soon enough." Tom clutched his sister's fingers and tried to sound as if he knew what he was talking about. The truth was he did not know where they were. They had been wandering around the dark passageways for over an hour, and Tom no longer knew where the trap door was, or even if they were going in the right direction. He could not see even a tiny glimmer of light. Tom put his hand in his pocket and pulled out a stick of sugar candy. He broke it into tiny pieces and gave one to each of the younger children, telling them to sit close together and have a little rest while he and Daisy straightened things out.

"Daisy. Over here." Tom tugged at his sister, trying to keep his voice as calm amd even as he could, despite the frantic thudding of his heart. The words, however, quickly came tumbling out, "I'm not even sure we're in the cellar anymore. Grampa Toby told me that the Inn was built on top of another: an old rambling burrow with dozens of hallways and tiny twisted rooms. That Inn went deep into the earth, almost like a maze. I think we may have stumbled into one of those old passage ways in the dark. The truth is I can't go back because I don't know the way."
Old 05-09-2007, 09:49 AM   #498
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

“Oh dear,” said Dick, worryingly as he watched the elves group around each other and begin inspecting the wound at once. “Oh dear me, let’s not do it here, for heaven’s sake. Gable, do run and get the doctor, if that’s who you’re talking about, with all your healer’s talk. You dwarf, quit making such a hubbub, can’t you see the lady’s injured? Here, sir,” addressing Vehil, “take her other arm and follow me.”

With instructions being thus given, Vehil took Nienna’s uninjured arm, and Luriniel supported her on the injured side, and the three of them followed Dick as he led the way to the taller side of the inn and to where the Big Folk could room. He unlocked one of the doors with his key and went in before them.

“There are clean sheets on the beds, and I’ll have water brought in at once. The doctor should be here shortly. Is there anything else I can do to help? Should I have food brought? We can set up a fine spread right here in your room, if you should so wish.”
Old 05-09-2007, 10:21 AM   #499
Elfchick7
Wight

"Food." Luriniel said blankly. How in Arda could I have forgotten food? Nienna hasn't had a good meal in days.

She turned to the Innkeeper, "Good hobbit, food would be greatly appreciated. I thank you." Looking up at Vehil, Luriniel spoke, "What is your opinion of the wound, sir? Is there anything that you can do?"

Last edited by piosenniel; 05-09-2007 at 01:38 PM.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:52 AM   #500
Newsman
Animated Skeleton

Vehil took another look at the wound and sighed. "Its bad alright, but it could be much worse. I will try my best to treat it. Maikaa..." Vehil shuddered and closed his mouth. He hoped that the other elves hadn't seen him shudder, but his brother's name caused the involuntary twitch. Where in the world could he be?

Vehil took a few herbs and crushed them before mixing them into the open wound. "So where do you hail from?" he attempted small talk to try to bring his mind away from his brother. I hope the healer gets here soon, the way the dwarf is acting, I may need him worse than Nienna.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:07 PM   #501
Forest Elf
Haunting Spirit

Gable nodded, though she had meant an elf healer that she had heard some of the folk talking about, who wasn't staying that far away. She went to the stables and quickly put a bridle and saddle upon a pony. It would be easier for the hobbit to ride rather than walk. She swung into the saddle with one easy movement and set the pony into a gallop.

She soon came to the doctor's door. She quickly got down from the horse and walked to the door. She knocked on it loudly. Then even louder she said, "Sir, there is an injured elf at the Inn and we need your help right away."

"I'll be right there!" the doctor said from inside. There was a slight clatter of dishes, then hurried footsteps before the door swung open. "Have you become the one to come and get me every time some one gets hurt?" he asked teasingly. "No matter, ah, good. You brought the pony this time, very good indeed."

Gable helped him onto the pony and he rode off to the Inn without a second thought. Gable stood there, staring after him. Then she figured that he was in a hurry to get to the Inn, and it would be faster for him to ride alone than with her. Of course, she thought to herself, he could be getting her back for not bringing the pony the last time she was here.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:46 AM   #502
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tevildo has just left Hobbiton.
Daisy:

For a short time, Daisy considered getting angry at her brother. Why had he suggested they hide in the cellar if he already knew there were a series of mazelike tunnels where they could get lost? But the real uncertainty and concern she heard in her brother's voice prevented her from responding sharply. Instead, she reached out, took his hand. and confided, "Don't worry. We're in luck. This morning, I was helping Granny make beeswax candles. She gave me two to carry home to mother along with a brand new flint. Once we get some light in here, I'm sure we'll find our way out."

Tom breathed a long sigh of relief as Daisy prepared to dig into the small pouch where she always hid her treasures. For several minutes, she fumbled at her belt, her fingers searching frantically. It took a while for her to realize that her pouch was not in its accustomed place. Instead, there was only a long string, torn and dangling, with no pouch attached.

Realization flooded over Daisy as she remembered the earlier episode when she had been helping to tug open the door. She blurted out her fears to her brother, "Tom, I don't think I have it. The candles, I mean. We were at the door and the side of my skirt caught on a nail. I heard my skirt rip. At least I thought it was my skirt. Only it must have been my pouch. It's gone....my pouch and everything in it, including the candles and the flint. Everything must be lying back there on the ground beside the trap door...."

"We're lost then. We're really lost," her brother moaned.

"Yes, I am afraid we are."
Old 05-10-2007, 08:04 AM   #503
Elfchick7
Wight

"So, where do you hail from?" Vehil had asked. For a moment, Luriniel sat in silence. In her mind, she was weighing how safe it would be to tell him truth. Undoubtedly, more questions would come. Surely, he is only trying to bring about conversation. Or does he know me? I do not recall having seen this elf before, but that means little. Having our past rediscovered could prove disastrous, especially while Nienna is in this condition.

Before Luriniel could decide how to answer, Nienna did it for her. "We hail from Mirkwood, good sir, but that was many years ago. We have long since wandered the earth."

Luriniel, desperate to avoid further questions added, "Even this vast land may have failed to quench our restless hearts' thirst for adventure." She cringed inside at how silly it made her sound. What ladies travel across Arda for no higher purpose than adventure? Hopefully, though, that will be enough to satisfy his curiosity as to why we left.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:38 AM   #504
Newsman
Animated Skeleton

Mirkwood Elves? Well that was interesting, but so was the delay in the answer. Vehil shook his head to banish the thought, it wasn't important. He took another look at the wound. This is really going to need more help than I can give.

"I had a few friends that lived near Mirkwood" he mumbled. Vehil didn't know what he was mumbling about. He wasn't nervous, but something about this kept him on guard. "Luriniel, can you go outside and watch for the doctor, that is if you trust me with Nienna."
Old 05-10-2007, 12:06 PM   #505
Newsman
Animated Skeleton

“Fain, I’m going for a quick ride. But I’ll be back before tomorrow.” That was the last thing that Maikaalph had ever said to Fain. That quick ride had never ended. Maikaalph had never returned. Fain couldn't help but think of his old friend's whereabouts as he trudged up the path to The Golden Perch. What he needed now was a place to rest, and to drown himself in the ale.

Fain entered the inn, and sat at the nearest empty table. Some of the patrons looked at the Dwarf suspiciously, like they were expecting some kind of mischief. Fain couldn't figure out what the cause was, he had never been here before. In fact he had been gone from the Shire since two days after Maikaalph never returned.

He ordered an ale and remembered the past as he waited for it. He had been all over, from Rivendell to Mirkwood, and even Lothlorien, Rohan, and Gondor searching for his old friend. Yet any leads turned up dead. Now he was back where it all began, hoping that maybe there would be some trace of the elf.

His ale arrived, and Fain spent a moment staring into its confines. He shook his head, which ruffled the neat brown beard of his. After another moment, he threw his head back and took a long swallow. Maybe something will happen to help me...
Old 05-10-2007, 01:03 PM   #506
Elfchick7
Wight

"I do not trust you." Luriniel said flatly. Nienna's eyes opened wide with surprise as she stared at her older sister. Luriniel continued, "It has been a long while since...that is to say...forgive me." she rushed out of the room.

"Vehil, please forgive my sister." Nienna looked up at him apologetically, "The events of this day and recent days past have greatly troubled her. I am the only family she has and she fears that my wound will prove to be more grave than can be healed."

------------------

Luriniel hurried into the commons and was about to go outdoors when she noticed a new dwarf. She stared at him without regard to propriety.

Another! Will this never end! Without a word, she turned and walked through the door. There, she waited and watched for the whoever might be the doctor. What were you thinking, Luriniel? That was foolish. In all your years surely you have learned to act with more caution. That outburst of emotion was rash. Luriniel mentally scolded herself, This elf, Vehil, seems in every way to be a friend. Nienna, please be safe. Please be well.

Last edited by Elfchick7; 05-10-2007 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:19 PM   #507
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Cela had been hovering around anxiously, knife still in hand, hoping dearly that the fighting would not come to blows. Thankfully, it had not, although that mad Dwarf Kuric had come storming back inside with a fresh set of accusations for one of the Elves, Cela couldn't remember his name at the moment - so many Elves arriving in the Inn! But most of the Inn's current visitors had scattered to take care of other business, and Dick had run off to see that the injured Elf was properly taken care of, leaving Cela alone with the irate Dwarf looking thoroughly piqued that his case was being paid little attention at the moment.

"Why don't you have a seat, Master Kuric," suggested Cela, although there was a hard edge to her voice that brooked little argument. "I'll go and get you some pie and once we've all calmed down a bit, perhaps we can think rationally about what might have happened to your ring." With a short nod to accentuate her words, Cela spun on her heel and strode back to the kitchen, not waiting to find out if Kuric had listened to her. A flame without fuel soon burns out, and she figured it would be so with Kuric's anger as long as he was given no one to rant to. She was just cutting up a piece of pie for Kuric, already humming a cheerful tune again, when Dick showed up.

"Do you need anything else?" Cela asked. "A couple of fresh plates of food for the newcomers, perhaps? Or a cup of tea for your own frazzled self?"
Old 05-11-2007, 06:52 PM   #508
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Kuric stood there stunned momentarily as the serving hobbit walked away. He couldn’t believe the impertinence and insolence demonstrated by her. Kuric thought her nerve at thinking simple pie would resolve this issue rather absurd.

“PIE!” He yelled. “What are ya thinkun? Pie?” With that the intensity of his anger rose again, not the illogical fury that he had experienced just before, but true anger and fury, however he was able to think a bit, then an idea came to him. Despite being able to rationalize a bit more Kuric still had a childish attitude and demonstrated it by pushing the table over knocking the freshly baked pie to the ground. Stomping off through the commons he went back to his room to see if there were any clues he happened to miss. He took no notice of the objections and scorn that came his way he had other things on his mind.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:58 PM   #509
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tevildo has just left Hobbiton.
Tollers slumped against the wall and shook his head disapprovingly as he watched the dwarf explode at Cela and stamp out of the room. He totally understood and sympathized with what Cela had been trying to do. When things were going sour, sometimes the best course was to sit down and take a breather. Any self respecting hobbit knows that a good piece of pie and a little break goes far to clear the head. And a clear head would definitely be needed to solve the problem of the missing Ring. Kuric, apparently, did not understand that.

Tollers went back to his work, trotting from table to table while collecting dishes and mopping up the mess. A familiar figure come in and sat down in the back of the room. She was clutching a small baby; two little ones played near her feet.

"Ah, Goodwife Hedgethistle, so happy to see you," Tollers went over and greeted the newcomer with a broad smile. "What have you been up to? I haven't seen you or the little ones all day."

The woman turned a worried face to Tollers and began to explain, "No? I was hoping you'd seen my Tom or Daisy. You see, I've been in my room sewing. There's work I must get done so the pieces can go back to the Brandybucks when the servant brings the wagon up tomorrow. Earlier, I told Daisy to go out with the older children and make sure no one got into any mischief. But it's been hours now and they haven't returned. You know children.... They're probably off lollygagging somewhere, but it's been so long. I was starting to get worried. You're sure you haven't seen them."

Tollers shook his head, "No, very sure. I've been here in the common room and out in the stables. But I haven't seen Daisy or Tom or any of the younger ones."

"It's hard for me, you know. With Master Hedgethistle gone now over a year....it all falls on my head."

Tollers immediately picked up on the cue. "Would you like my help? I'm due for a break, and I'd be glad to go out looking for them. They can't have gotten very far with the younger ones along. I'll just pop my head in some of the rooms and check with the guests to see if anyone's seen them."

"Would you do that? I'd be much obliged. I hate to be a nuisance. They're probably just off playing somewhere, but I'd be much relieved if you could do that."

"Don't worry now. I'll take a look and perhaps ask some others to help me."

Tollers went to the kitchen and brought back a cup of tea for the Mistress and two glasses of milk for the little ones. Then he began wandering through the Inn, carefully searching each floor and asking the guests if they'd noticed a troop of five children sometime that day. The children were usually quite noisy so Tollers figured it wouldn't be long till someone remembered seeing them. Surprisingly, however, all he got were blank stares. Finally, he came to the last room, the one that had been assigned to the Dwarf Kuric. He considered skipping the room and giving up. He would rather not speak with an angry Dwarf. But that didn't seem like the right thing to do.

The hobbit timidly approached the door and softly wrapped on it. He heard a gruff voice inside telling him to enter. He pushed the door open a single inch and whispered through the crack. "Master Dwarf, so sorry to bother you, but something else has gone missing. Five children....the ones who live just across from you....their mother says they've been gone all day, and I'm trying to help find them. I've been up and down every floor with no luck. You wouldn't have seen them by any chance?" he queried. A strange thought suddenly struck Tollers. "You know," he added, "maybe the same person who stole your Ring has also made off with these children...."
Old 05-13-2007, 06:52 PM   #510
Elfchick7
Wight

Nienna sat quietly in her chair and studied Vehil's face. He bears a striking resemblance to the elf, Maikaalph. I wonder if they are related.

Seeing that Vehil was aware of her gaze, Nienna spoke, "Tell me, Vehil, do you have a brother? Once, I met an elf to whom you bear a striking resemblance. He aided my sister and I when it was discovered that..." she stopped, "Perhaps it is better to say no more in such times as these."
Old 05-14-2007, 01:27 PM   #511
Newsman
Animated Skeleton

The words stung like wasps in Vehil's ears, and the elf shuddered. He looked at Nienna for a moment as she trailed off, before turning away from her. A silence passed between them, punctuated only by the occasional noise emenating from the common room.

"Yes...I do. That is why I have come to the Shire, looking for any trace of him. This was one of the last places that he was seen, and so my search begins." He stopped here, and pulled up a chair. Vehil took a breath and began his story.

"I should likely begin with my origins. I come from Lothlorien, yet Maikaalph and I made our home in Minas Tirith. It was in the walls of the White City that we met an elf named Sindahir. My brother and Sindahir became quick rivals, yet a terrible thing happened that ended it all..." Here Vehil trailed off for a moment. "Maikaalph told me that he had to leave somewhere, and we traveled together to Imladris. It was there that he left me, and I have been searching ever since. That is all I will say now." Vehil then turned on Nienna. "You say you met him, where? Also, I have told my story, what is yours?"
Old 05-14-2007, 04:13 PM   #512
Elfchick7
Wight

Nienna spoke slowly, wondering how much she dare tell, "Not long ago, there was," she paused, "a conflict between myself and some villagers. Maikaalph gave us aid when all others would not. My family, we are not trusted in most communities. I dare not say more. In these times, when dark powers are rising in the black land, I must be cautious lest someone remembers."

She stopped and looked up at Vehil, "I pray you, do not try to learn more of my sister and I. Please trust that we are not of the enemy."

Thinking to herself, I will not tell him more of Maikaalph. If he does know of our father, it would best to have some means of safe departure. My knowledge of his brother may be the deciding force in the end.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:22 PM   #513
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Elorn was glad that other elves went to help of the new arrival and her wounded sister. The poor elf looked tired and as if her shoulder was hurting her greatly.

He returned to Alasse, who had taken a seat, and sat down. He sat silent for a short while thinking, again, of home. Remembering Alasse he shook himself, and started talking, he didn’t really care about what.

“How often do you come to the Shire?” He asked, hoping it wasn’t to personal a question, “This is my first time seeing these parts, and I probably wont be staying long.”
Old 05-20-2007, 06:46 AM   #514
Forest Elf
Haunting Spirit

Gable sighed and began her walk back to the Inn. Her thoughts swirled around her mind like leaves in and autumn wind. Now that the doctor is probably there by now… I don’t mind. Now that I don’t have to take him to the Inn I can look around for any sign of the pony’s owner…I wonder if the owner is still alive or not…What were those wolves thinking anyways? Attacking a pony and the pony’s rider, then coming back into the stables and attacking… I haven’t ever heard of something like this happening before…what’s making them come to the Shire? Gable shook her head to clear her thoughts of the questions. Too many questions that can’t be answered…yet. I should probably get some help if I’m going to look for the pony’s owner…and, if no one wants to help…then it seems I’m going off on my own little adventure for awhile.

Her footsteps were light upon the ground, and she quickened her pace from excitement. She always loved the thought of adventure, even if it was a small thought, but a thought, nonetheless. Gable looked up at the sky, the sun was behind one of the fat, lazy clouds up there just gently going forwards. Then she looked forward and had to keep herself from crying out. There, in the bushes, something was huddled up under there. She couldn’t see what it was, but she didn’t know if it was a threat or not. Slowly, carefully, she lowered herself into a crouch. Then she bit her tongue to keep from crying out. Right there, under the bush is a sleeping wolf. Gable fought to keep the panic down and then calmed herself. Her thoughts of finding the owner vanished and now the only thoughts in her mind was to find the nearest tree until after the wolf had gone away…She stood and slowly began making her way to the nearest tree, a little ways off of the road, but not too far.

She slowly put her feet on the ground, in slow, quiet steps. She was a few feet away from the tree when she stepped on an old twig. It let out a loud snap as she stepped on it and the wolf’s head went up. His ears were raised as he listened for any more sounds. Gable held her breath when his eyes turned upon her. The wolf stood and stared at Gable. Something about this wolf was very familiar…too familiar. The wolf let out a howl and then jumped over to Gable. He sat down in front of her then jumped up on her, like a large dog in greeting.

Somewhat nervous, Gable petted the wolf. Then she knew why this wolf looked so familiar. It was the wolf pup she had saved long ago…only now it was much older. “I’m glad that it’s you and not some-” Gable began to say when she heard a wolf growl to her right, and another one to her left, and one behind her, blocking her off from the tree.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:11 PM   #515
MaskedNicci
Pile O'Bones

Location: At that in-between place between fantasy and reality - between grown-up and child.
Alassë had not been sitting long, when Elorn returned to seat himself nearby her in a quiet thoughtfulness, as though he was trying to find something to say. This idea struck Alassë as very comforting, as that would mean she was not the only one with difficulty coming up with this foolish small-talk that humans seemed to enjoy so much. Turning her attention from the girl at the window, she watched Elorn with cold intensity, and regarded him with quiet question; when something strange happened. As they sat there in silence together, her suspicious and mistrusting gaze altered to a queer, almost child-like curiosity to his thoughts. In wonder, she asked herself what she knew about this man. What was his past? What was his future, as he saw it? What was he thinking? She enjoyed this nearly companionable silence, seeing it as a rare moment of pleasant social behavior on her part.

Unfortunately, the silence did not - and could not - last, and Elorn added verbal topic between them, to her inner dismay. "How often do you come to the Shire?” He asked, and if Alassë wasn't mistaken, there was a strange tone to his voice. It wasn't a terrible bad voice, nothing compared to her own kind, to be sure. But it did carry a certain quality she couldn't place. It reminded her of something - someone. “This is my first time seeing these parts, and I probably wont be staying long.”

Putting forth a front of indifference, she gave the smallest of shrugs, turning her gaze back to the girl near the window. "My second time. Before was brief, and long ago. I plan on staying as long as I stay." She took a small sip, then contemplated a moment, before asking, "I come here for reasons unknown even to myself. What is your purpose, if I may intrude so?"

Alassë felt strange - had she just given out free information to this stranger? Unthinkable! She hadn't given undeserved facts about herself since she was a youngster! Granted, she was still quite young either way, but it had been a great deal of time since she had stated her purpose without due cause to.

Last edited by piosenniel; 05-21-2007 at 02:06 AM.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:21 AM   #516
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luckily the Alasse didn’t seem too insulted by his question, and she even returned with a question.

“Oh, I was just picked up for a messenger. Some random person wanted some random message delivered to a random hobbit name Maggot,” he replied.

Elorn again lapsed into silence. What were you supposed to say to someone you don’t know, in a country you don’t know enough to talk about, when you business wasn’t even your business?

Apparently the dwarf was still causing some sort of trouble, but Elorn felt like ignoring him, so ignore him he did. After all, the dwarf had been getting plenty of attention.

Last edited by Finduilas; 05-22-2007 at 12:11 PM.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:59 AM   #517
Newsman
Animated Skeleton

Vehil looked away in an effort to veil his frustration. This was far from the response he had hoped for, it almost seemed like Nienna was tormenting him with this. Yet he turned and acted like nothing had happened, a faint smile on his lips as he reached into his pouch. "You needn't worry, I respect your secrecy." He pulled out a plant and tore off a small portion which he offered to Nienna. "Eat this, it will help."

Shortly after Nienna took it, Vehil could see the effects, her eyes were heavy with sleep. Just what he needed, it would make the job easier for the healer, it was always easier if the patient were sleeping. He thumbed one of his knives absent-mindedly. How easy it would be to simply cut her throat, he thought. Yet he quickly banished it, he had nothing that pointed to her as having anything to do with Maikaalph's disappearance. Besides, finding a dead elf and himself gone would make his search all the more difficult.

Once Nienna's eyes slid shut, Vehil quietly shut the door and moved toward the common room. He noticed someone go by toward the room who he assumed was the healer. The faint din of the common room grew louder as he entered. Luriniel shot him a suspicious stare, which he gave a look of ease in response to. She had nothing to fear from him.

Vehil headed toward the door to get some fresh air and try to figure out what his next plan of action would be. Yet a booming voice stopped him in his tracks. "Vehil! There's an elf I'm glad to see." Vehil recognized the voice and turned to respond. "Master Fain," he began as he headed toward the tables to the dwarf. "It is a great pleasure to see you. What brings you here?" Vehil asked.

"The same reason that you are here I'll wager, looking for your brother." Vehil sat down slowly, "So where should we begin?"
Old 05-22-2007, 01:45 PM   #518
MaskedNicci
Pile O'Bones

She pondered the mental image of Elorn muttering and giving a message to a small hobbit. Maggot...an interesting name...but then again, hobbits did have a way of naming themselves strange things.

Alasse felt the silence between them this time was different, it was more tense and awkward. It was, in a strange way, one of the worst feelings Alasse had experienced in quite some time. She shrugged again, secretly wishing the gesture would tip off the strange, overbearing weight on her shoulders, as though she could just let go of the strange silence.

"Well.." She mumbled for a moment, "I suppose, since odd introductions are out of the way, and we've discussed our business, the proper thing to do would be to converse in some nonsensical talk of our interests?" It was more thinking out loud than an actual question, but she turned askance to him either way. "I don't understand art, I'm no good at cooking, and I'm no good at talking without a purpose." She allowed a crooked smile to adorn her features momentarily, "I suppose I'm exactly what humans would call, 'unromantic'. But then, these aren't times to be romantic, in all honesty. Too much opportunity for foolishness already."
Old 05-22-2007, 02:55 PM   #519
Elfchick7
Wight

Luriniel hurried into the room where Nienna was. When she arrived, she found Nienna fast asleep and the healer cleaning the wound.

"How long has this girl carried the wound?" the healer asked.

"I am not sure. It was not until four days ago that I learned of it and by that time it was very infected as you see now. My sister does not like to trouble me and so she kept the injury a secret."

"Do you know what caused the wound?"

"Yes. The injury was caused by an orc arrow."

"Then it probably was touched by poison. I will mix a poultice that will draw the poison out." as he began putting different ingredients in a mortar and mixed them with a pestle, he continued, "Apply this every three hours. When the wound starts to look less green and more pink, take the ordinary healing herbs and make a compress for it. If the wound does not begin to clear in three days, send for me again."

"Thank you." she said, removing some gold pieces and holding them out to him, "Take this for your trouble."

"Pay me when she is healed. I will be by as soon as I can to assure that she is healing properly. She needs a good bit of rest. I'll move her to the be before I go. Do not let her move about if it can be avoided."

The healer lifted Nienna and set her on the bed. Luriniel, who had turned down the blankets, was now tucking her sister comfortably in them. She walked the healer out of the Inn and turned to rejoin her sister. Just as she was about to leave the room she heard the new dwarf mention Vehil's brother.

Remembering how much Vehil had originally struck her as resembling Maikaalph, she walked over to them.

"Pardon me for interrupting, but I couldn't help but overhear that you were in search of someone. It leads me to wonder, Vehil, if you are perhaps related to the elf Maikaalp and if he might be the one you are seeking."
Old 05-24-2007, 11:33 AM   #520
Forest Elf
Haunting Spirit

Gable took a deep breath to calm herself as fear made her heart beat quickly. Slowly she pushed the wolf off of her and turned around. There were five wolves, the one that she had rescued long ago and the four others with barred fangs and blood lust gleaming in their eyes. Finally calming herself, she prepared herself to run if they decided to come much closer.

Gable took a step back and looked around to see if anyone was coming down the road. She couldn’t see anyone, yet. Then she looked around for something to use to protect herself from them, the only thing that she could see was a limb that was too big and too heavy for anyone to lift, unless there were two or three men doing it.

One of the wolves howled and they began to circle around Gable. Gable took a step back, desperate not to be surrounded. The wolf that had jumped up on Gable snarled at the other wolves, the looked at Gable hesitantly. With a quick growl from a wolf that just stepped out of the bushes, they began to form a circle around Gable again.