The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2014, 01:33 PM   #1
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Saul Zaentz dead at 92...

So he didn't make it to his eleventieth birthday, but he tried.

Perhaps his company will be less litigious, Middle-earth-wise, with him gone. After all, Zaentz was a man who once sued John Fogerty, leader singer and composer for Creedence Clearwater Revival, for sounding too much like John Fogerty of Creedence Clearwater Revival.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:46 PM   #2
radagastly
Shade of Carn Dűm

radagastly is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I'm tempted to quote the Munchkins, but I won't. I can't think of anyone else who so enthusiastically damaged the creative process.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:32 PM   #3
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Who inherits his rights?
Old 01-05-2014, 01:30 AM   #4
demnation
Newly Deceased

demnation has just left Hobbiton.
Hmmm

The way some are eulogizing him, you'd be forgiven for thinking that Zaentz himself was the creator of Middle-earth. I'm still not certain how integral he was in getting Jackson's films made, since it seems he and New Line were in court for years. Still, a shame to lose such an influential behind the scenes guy. (Though 92 years on this earth is not too shabby!)

Last edited by demnation; 01-05-2014 at 01:38 AM.
demnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:42 PM   #5
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I don't think anyone here is missing him.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:52 PM   #6
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry View Post
I don't think anyone here is missing him.
While the man seemed money-hungry to the point of being blind to all else, I never wished him any personal ill will. I just think it's a pity that Tolkien's work has to be subject to litigation over matters of greed.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:20 PM   #7
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Oh, I didn't mean him ill will, either. But I meant that, his influence on controlling even names from Middle-earth has been excessive. It isn't something most of us relish and I think has harmed and discouraged those particularly who developed Middle-earth activities not for profit but for fun.

And what Morth said about Fogerty.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:51 PM   #8
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
It is just business. The corporation stil owns the rights to the names. They will carry on suing as they have to in order to maintain trademarks. Nothing will change with his death.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:55 PM   #9
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Nothing will change with his death.
If there is any divine justice in the afterlife, I can imagine Tolkien puffing merrily upon his pipe while shoving great wads of legal documents down Saul's throat.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:34 PM   #10
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
If there is any justice in the afterlife wil Tolkien be in the same place as Zaentz, let alone any lawyers?

Old 01-05-2014, 08:00 PM   #11
Sarumian
Wight

Sarumian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Shall we ask to transfer this branch to:

What do you assign for Orthanc?

Btw if Saul died from Alzheimer, he probably had been out of business for years.

RIP
Sarumian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:33 AM   #12
Elemmakil
Pile O'Bones

Elemmakil has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry View Post
Oh, I didn't mean him ill will, either. But I meant that, his influence on controlling even names from Middle-earth has been excessive. It isn't something most of us relish and I think has harmed and discouraged those particularly who developed Middle-earth activities not for profit but for fun.

And what Morth said about Fogerty.
Yeah, reminds me of Tom Maringer's Shire Post Coins, that were rather brutally shut down. Ironically, had Tom never tried to do the right thing and secure a license to produce (which had for whatever reason been rejected by T.E.) I doubt his operations would ever otherwise had attracted attention. Sometimes it is much better to beg forgiveness than ask permission...
Elemmakil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:29 PM   #13
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I can forgive him something for facilitating The English Patient. Anthony Minghella, one of the Isle of Wight's greatest sons should have been 60 today. Sigh.... much missed.