The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2008, 12:29 PM   #41
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitanna View Post
Is there any sort of plan on how our merry band of Sues will meet up at the Pony?
I think Lalaith and Mithalwen are in Rivendell. At least, that's what they said originally. In any case, its not necessary for everyone to be in Bree at the beginning. Part of our party should be spreading angst about in Imladris in preparation for the all-out angst-fest when we arrive (thus Elrond, wishing to be rid of the whole lot of us in one fell swoop, will, in his anxiety, invent a quest to send us as far away as possible).
Old 10-08-2008, 07:38 PM   #42
Ibrîniðilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I'm a little bit leery about committing to this, since I've never done an online RPG and my overall creative levels are pretty low right now, but if I can figure out how and when to enter gracefully, how would this character sound?

NAME: Súlómëa (though she prefers to go by Súlaurëa. When the Elves gave her a name, she thought it was Súlaurëa, golden wind, because of her appearance, and was rather disappointed when she heard it was actually Súlómëa, gloomy wind. In ME, she will try to go by Súlaurëa, but anyone who has ever been in Valinor – Galadriel and Glorfindel and even the Balrog included – will know her real name.)

AGE (chronological): Subject to debate

AGE (mental): About... 17, human-wise, sort of that snotty/pouty high-school cheerleader full of herself and "nobody understands the real me" age

RACE(S): Maia

SPECIAL WEAPONS/JEWELLERY/OTHER ITEMS: a golden staff, much better than any of the Istari have, because she knows how to use it like a proper quarterstaff – when she isn’t tripping over it, getting it tangled in her long golden tresses, or knocking herself in the knee, foot, or jaw with it. It will also act like a lodestone for magical items, so there should never be a problem keeping track of the Ring and its bearer (theoretically).

RENOWNED CRAFTSMAN WHO MADE THEM: She tried to wheedle Aulë into making it for her, but he didn’t have the time, so she whined until he caved and told one of his lesser Maiar to make something quick for her to get her to go away. She will claim, however, that it came to her from the hands of Aulë himself, since he was the one who handed it to her when she came to pick it up.

SPECIAL ABILITIES:

1. Whining until she gets her way (she calls it “encouraging cooperation”).

2. Singing in minor keys – even if the song is in a major key, she will sing it in a minor key, or sing louder until everyone has to sing in a minor key to stop the dissonance. This can prove remarkably effective in dispersing crowds and breaking up brawls, because people will run from the sound of her singing. Unfortunately, it also can break glass and cause deafness or insanity if it goes on long enough.

3. Since she wasn’t sent as one of the Istari, she’s not in a real mortal body, so she doesn’t feel the need to follow their restrictions. She particularly likes popping in and out of places with a thought (or without a thought, which is all too often the case).

4. She can do a remarkably good imitation of Námo's trademark Voice Of Doom.

SPECIAL PET(S): Pet? Aren’t all these silly Eruhíni creatures supposed to be pets? Especially Hobbits?

RELATIONSHIP TO TOLKIEN'S CHARACTER(S): She thought she would be one of the people of Manwë and Varda when they first entered Ëa, and though Manwë put up with her for a while, he wound up fobbing her off on Námo and Nienna when her singing started a plague of depression with the rest of his servants. When Nienna gets tired of her, she sends her to Námo, and when Námo gets sick of the constant griping and moaning, he sends her back. They sent her to Irmo for a while, hoping that the atmosphere of Lórien would improve her mood and disposition, but Estë declared that Súlómëa’s part of the Music was undoubtedly the root of the Children’s Seasonal Affective Disorder, and told Irmo to send her back to his siblings. Unfortunately, when she got back to Mandos, she heard that her brother Pallando had been sent away as one of the Istari, and she was livid that A). he didn’t tell her, and B). nobody asked her to go, since she had always been much wiser than he.

IS IN LOVE WITH: She fell for Olórin when he was studying with Nienna, and tried to get him to notice her while she was in Lórien. It drove him crazy, which (aside from his wife's insistence) is why Irmo agreed to send her back to his siblings; he couldn’t get in even a ten-minute session with his Counselor without Súlómëa showing up to swoon.

IS LOVED BY: Nobody, absolutely nobody, they don’t understand her, and she just doesn’t know why *sob* *sniff* But she’s bound and determined to get Olórin to give her a good requite – once he gets out of that rather disturbing and icky mortal body. She could even get used to that, though, if he made it worth her while.

APPEARANCE: Tall, taller than Galadriel or any female Elf, with perfect porcelain skin (luminous, clear, and pasty white), LONG (down to her ankles) luxurious golden hair that always seems to be flowing in the wind, and amethyst eyes with golden flecks, brighter than the stars. Sometimes TOO bright (they glow in the dark). She always wears sky blue, partly because her brother was one of the Blue Wizards, and partly because she still thinks she should be one of Manwë’s people, so she will NOT blend into the scenery, unless they happen to be in ME’s version of Hawaii or the Caribbean.

TOKEN FLAW/WEAKNESS (which proves that your character is NOT, repeat NOT, a Mary Sue!): She whines if things aren’t going her way. She can depress anyone with more than a minute of her singing. She trips over her own hair a lot of the time (especially when trying to use her staff). If she braids it to get it out of the way, she has a tendency to knock out other people, or herself, when she tosses her head. She also ticked off the Valar when she left Valinor without permission, so even though they won't come after her directly, one never knows when she might get struck by lightning, or caught in a sudden flood, or tangled in a web of vines that wasn't there a second before, or knocked over by an earthquake....

TRAGIC PAST/OTHER REASON FOR ANGST: She is SO misunderstood by just about everyone in Valinor, especially the Valar, who just can’t seem to see why she’s so terribly special and deserves a better job than running messages between Námo and Nienna (which they could send just as well in osanwë, if they wanted). If Sauron would recognize what she’s really worth, she’d consider throwing in with him – if she didn’t have that unrequited crush on Olórin.

REASON THE FATE OF MIDDLE-EARTH DEPENDS ON YOUR CHARACTER: Well, Alatar and Pallando disappeared on some beach in the East and haven’t been heard from for just ages, Curumo is an arrogant SOB who thinks he’s so smart, he’ll wind up making a mess of things just to show off, Aiwendil is a literal bird-brain, and poor Olórin just shouldn’t have to do all this without the help of at least one Wizard who isn’t all tuckered out after nearly two thousand years stuck in that old mortal body, the poor dear. If she doesn’t give him a hand, who will?

Just a thought... not sure I could pull it off, though this would leave an opening for her to come and go, as I might need to. Any thoughts?
Old 10-08-2008, 07:53 PM   #43
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Sorry for the delay in posting... I've had heaps of work on.

I'll get something up in the next few days.

EDIT: Ooo, a Maia-Sue! They're the pits... mainly because one can make them ridiculously hyper-powered, and still claim it's "canon".

Just a suggestion– I think Súlómëa should be the sixth member of the Istari. It's one of the classic types. She's just Somehow™ not subject to the same rules. (No Sixth Istar has ever had to appear as a wrinkly old crone...)

Last edited by Nerwen; 10-08-2008 at 08:06 PM.
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:54 PM   #44
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
*Snickers malevolently*

Yes, where would our flailing Fellowship be without an insipid Istari? That coming and going bit will work out fine, as you can say it has a relevance to canonicity given Gandalf's frequent bouts of secretive flightiness from Bilbo in The Hobbit and Frodo in LotR. It's just that in this case, Súlómëa (or Súlaurëa, rather) tends to go AWOL for no apparent reason (save pouting perhaps).

Excellent, Ibrin!
Old 10-08-2008, 08:07 PM   #45
Ibrîniðilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Yeah, and people can even call her "Sú" without inspiring confusion or pouting (unless they mean she's a windbag).
Old 10-08-2008, 08:17 PM   #46
Ibrîniðilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
Just a suggestion– I think Súlómëa should be the sixth member of the Istari. It's one of the classic types. She's just Somehow™ not subject to the same rules. (No Sixth Istar has ever had to appear as a wrinkly old crone...)
Not a bad idea. Heaven knows, I've seen enough of that sort of tripe, especially when the Sixth Wizard is female. Though I rather like the notion that she did this without permission and ticked off the Valar, so she never knows when they'll do something to try to cook her goose to get her to go back where she belongs. Throws in an element (or four elements ) of uncertainty that will also make it possible for her to depart the scene for a while without having yet another pout or hissy fit. Getting struck by lightning out of a clear blue sky can do that to a person.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:12 PM   #47
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrîniðilpathânezel View Post
Not a bad idea. Heaven knows, I've seen enough of that sort of tripe, especially when the Sixth Wizard is female. Though I rather like the notion that she did this without permission and ticked off the Valar, so she never knows when they'll do something to try to cook her goose to get her to go back where she belongs. Throws in an element (or four elements ) of uncertainty that will also make it possible for her to depart the scene for a while without having yet another pout or hissy fit. Getting struck by lightning out of a clear blue sky can do that to a person.
What color Istar is she? We have white, gray, brown and blue already taken. Fuscia? Mauve? Something to highlight her eyes or skin tone? Ecru would be good. The Ecru Istar. Nice ring to it.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:25 AM   #48
Ibrîniðilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Well, since she's a very bright sky blue, I should think Cerulean would be the most appropriate. Teal, Turquoise, Aquamarine, or any other overused synonym in the blue spectrum would go. But given how overused Cerulean is in bad fanfic, I opt for that. It would offset her flowing golden hair so nicely, too. And she is Pallando's sister. Also, this allows the potential for confusion as to whether or not she is one of the two Blue Wizards who disappeared and Do Not Come Into These Stories. (As a matter of fact, I seem to recall at least one piece of lousy fanfic in which one of the two Blue Wizards was declared to have been a woman, who of course came back to rescue the Fellowship, or to defeat Sauron in the Fourth Age because the company had actually somehow botched the job and didn't really defeat him completed. Ack.)

Last edited by Ibrîniðilpathânezel; 10-09-2008 at 07:29 AM. Reason: forgot something
Ibrîniðilpathânezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:44 AM   #49
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Yes, but won't cerulean clash with the other two blue wizards? It's getting awfully crowded in the azure camp. My daughter is blonde and black velvet suits her well as a contrast. There can't be enough ebon'd accoutrements in fan-fic. A black wizard -- to match her foul mood?

All that is black aint so scary
For every day has its night
Contrast is the point which marries
A chiaroscuro of dark and light.

Bah...never mind.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:14 AM   #50
Ibrîniðilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Do you think she really cares about clashing? Especially since her wussy brother and the other guy just toddled off somewhere and didn't bother to leave a forwarding address?

Well, one could go for amethyst to match her eyes, but only if it's a really bright, oversaturated, day-glo kind of amethyst. Possibly bordering on Barbie Pink. Or perhaps she's sort of a mood ring wizard, and changes color from day to day. Or minute to minute. Saruman of Many Colors, right, I'LL show him how to do it right....
Old 10-25-2008, 12:37 PM   #51
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I am painfully aware of my failure to post a character profile, despite the fact that everyone has shown such forbearance and not subjected me to personally directed chivvying. I am now on a week's break, so I WILL have time to post it in the next two days. On my honour.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:54 AM   #52
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith View Post
I am painfully aware of my failure to post a character profile, despite the fact that everyone has shown such forbearance and not subjected me to personally directed chivvying. I am now on a week's break, so I WILL have time to post it in the next two days. On my honour.
That's nice to hear, Lalaith. I was concerned that a great idea (or, rather, a bad story made splendiferous through new paint and window treatments) would fall to the wayside.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:31 AM   #53
Ibrîniðilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Oh, I'm thinking about it. I just have a rather full plate at the moment with a bazillion doctors' appointments, and I'm getting ready to go on vacation next week. I'm hoping that the nice, relaxed atmosphere of a week away from assorted craziness will be conducive to creativity, even warped.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:05 PM   #54
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Ok, I've got two dear friends to throw into the mix.

NAME: Sharpairien

AGE (chronological): like, SO much younger than Moonflower

AGE (mental): 15

RACE(S): Peredhil, Pertheril, Peverell. I misspell, therefore I am.

SPECIAL WEAPONS/JEWELLERY/OTHER ITEMS:
The necklace of the Dwarves

RENOWNED CRAFTSMAN WHO MADE THEM: I am like, so excited ever since my Daddy told me the necklace came from Dior.

SPECIAL ABILITIES: When I am wearing Dior’s finest, no-one can withstand me. Man or Elf.

SPECIAL PET(S): A puppy called Morcair-shu. I keep it in my handbag, er, saddle bag. He has special powers too, because he ALWAYS knows if someone is mean. And my milk-white steed Shimmershine, who loves me and rescues me ALL the time.

RELATIONSHIP TO TOLKIEN'S CHARACTER(S): Elrond’s daughter, by his beautiful second wife Ivanariel. (He couldn’t stay moping for Celebrian for ever, you know)

IS IN LOVE WITH: No-one, right now. I am saving myself. I may even have a Silver Ring. We will see.

IS LOVED BY: Almost everyone, sometimes against their will because of my whimsical and wayward antics. But I am so cute. Even camp Daemian might, er change his spots for me.

APPEARANCE: (No grey-eyed, dark-haired Elves. No Hobbits with curly brown hair and furry feet. Please pick an appearance which will show that your character is really special.) glossy auburn locks, a smattering of cute freckles and luminous amber eyes.

TOKEN FLAW/WEAKNESS (which proves that your character is NOT, repeat NOT, a Mary Sue!): Well, I am spoilt and willful.

TRAGIC PAST/OTHER REASON FOR ANGST: The sibling rivalry with Moonflower. And Arwen, of course, who is SO boring. Elladan and Elohir have a Bill & Ted/ Missy thing going on with my mom and by association think I am adorable. My father’s over-protectiveness.

(OPTIONAL) REALMS TO WHICH YOUR CHARACTER IS THE RIGHTFUL HEIR: My mother has persuaded Elrond to leave Hollin to me. I think Hollin sucks.

REASON THE FATE OF MIDDLE-EARTH DEPENDS ON YOUR CHARACTER:
OMG! I don’t know??!!! It’s such a responsibility!!!!! I love exclamation marks and will use lots of them.

Next.....

NAME: Daemian

AGE (chronological): 2000 (and do you KNOW what that is in camp-elf years? OMG!)

AGE (mental): 21

RACE(S): Elf

SPECIAL WEAPONS/JEWELLERY/OTHER ITEMS:
I have the sharpest tongue east of the Misty Mountains, and the best eleven eye for a complimentary shade or fabric.

SPECIAL ABILITIES: Dressing well. Encouraging others to dress well.

SPECIAL PET(S): I love helping to look after Morcair-shu but Shimmershine scares me.

RELATIONSHIP TO TOLKIEN'S CHARACTER(S): Oh plu-eese. These are not the Secret Diaries, you know.

IS IN LOVE WITH: my love for Shairpairen is purely platonic.

IS LOVED BY: No-one- for obvious reasons I am always the bridesmaid, never the bride

APPEARANCE: (No grey-eyed, dark-haired Elves. No Hobbits with curly brown hair and furry feet. Please pick an appearance which will show that your character is really special.) I have fine features, dark blond sculpted hair and a mole over my upper lip, on the left-hand side.

TOKEN FLAW/WEAKNESS (which proves that your character is NOT, repeat NOT, a Mary Sue!): I throw tantrums. I dislike getting wet or untidy.

TRAGIC PAST/OTHER REASON FOR ANGST: Where to begin. I’ve never really been able to settle down. And I am getting very depressed about that 2000 year thing.

REASON THE FATE OF MIDDLE-EARTH DEPENDS ON YOUR CHARACTER:
I will stick by Sharpairen through everything. I am a good friend, if a rather high-maintenance and shrieky one.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:20 PM   #55
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Sorry I realise I have neglecting this - I have been ill, nothing serious fortunately just a bug but since I usually shake such things off I tried to tough it out which was a wrong move since it really took hold and I lost my voice for over a week and coughing so much. As a result I haven't had the energy to do anything but work and the most essential domestic stuff and have only had short spells of net access in environments not conducive to creativity. However I seem to be bright eyed and bushy tailed again and will catch up ASAP.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 04:13 AM   #56
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I'll echo Mith's apology– I've been sick too, and I've had a nightmare run of bad luck involving deadlines and computer failures and... *shudders* Hence my absence from these forums.

Anyway, here's one thing I think needs settling: to what extent are we allowed to interfere in the actual story? I mean, we were all last seen in the Pony at a rather critical moment... very un-Sueish not to jump in...
Old 11-19-2008, 08:09 PM   #57
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

*bump*

Morth?

Kit?

Where are you?
Old 11-19-2008, 08:16 PM   #58
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
*bump*

Morth?

Kit?

Where are you?
*blinks*

Ummm...coma? Brain fart?

I thought I'd give the other folks a chance to post, but seeing as that doesn't seem to be happening, I shall post again...perhaps tomorrow.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:34 PM   #59
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

Sorry. I have an idea for my next post, but I got caught under a pile of homework. Soon I'll post again and by soon I mean before a week has passed.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:44 AM   #60
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Sorry ... yes I havent forgotten ..I don't think I will be actually in the inn .... I thought I might inadvertantly be the true reason all the horses disappeared but I have managed to catch up a bit on my other RPG commitments and so I am hoping to post tomorrow - when I should eb able to get a reasonable amount of net time.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:35 AM   #61
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Right - I'm ready to post. I am assuming that it's ok for my pair to just flounce around Rivendell for now, getting on everyone's nerves until the rest of you show up?
Old 11-23-2008, 07:59 PM   #62
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith View Post
Right - I'm ready to post. I am assuming that it's ok for my pair to just flounce around Rivendell for now, getting on everyone's nerves until the rest of you show up?
Oh, most definitely, Lalaith. By having a whole mess of story threads twisting and turning in cobwebbed convolutions, we further prove our fanfic prowess by eschewing linear storylines and electing to drive the plot in abstract and avante garde directions. That, and ignoring each other's stories and centering on our own bloated egoistic characters is a hallmark of bad Middle-earth roleplay.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:06 PM   #63
Ibrîniðilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I'm still observing. Perhaps I shall write a paragraph about observing...
Old 12-03-2008, 09:20 PM   #64
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

I put up a save, though this isn't fast moving enough to warrant a save. However, I'll actually contribute to this silliness if I have a save up.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:50 PM   #65
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Pardon my thread necromancy - but I noticed that your story is lacking a huge part of the fanfic base...any mention whatsoever of Legolas.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:32 AM   #66
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddwen View Post
Pardon my thread necromancy - but I noticed that your story is lacking a huge part of the fanfic base...any mention whatsoever of Legolas.
Oh, I had that one planned for the future.