The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-08-2011, 05:40 PM   #1
iDesmondHume
Newly Deceased

iDesmondHume has just left Hobbiton.
Question Characters of Middle-Earth

A little thread about peoples' favorite characters in all of Tolkien's writings about middle-earth. I'm just curious to see different feelings that people have towards different characters and why

Also, more specifically, I'd like to know your opinion on Feanor as a whole, because I personally can't help but love him despite his disagreeable personality towards Noldor (something like Sawyer from Season 1 of Lost?)

Thanks
iDesmondHume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:54 PM   #2
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Welcome, iDesmondHume!

I believe there are similar threads for specific books (eg Who Was your Favourite character in The Silmarillion), but I don't remember one for all the books.

Saying that, I really can't answer your first question. I love many characters, and those that I don't exactly love, I'm still fascinated with them and I think they are all very interesting. That also goes to Feanor - I don't really like him, but I feel a mix of awe and respect, and I'm kind of overwhelmed by him. There are the expected feelings like forboding coming as a reaction to his deeds.

There is one line from Harry Potter that I remember for some reason (even though I don't really like the series, but that's a totally different story), and I think it describes Feanor very well: "After all, he did great things. Terrible, but great."

There's more about Feanor specifically as a character in the second half of this thread, if you're interested.

Last edited by Galadriel55; 06-08-2011 at 06:10 PM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:48 PM   #3
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye Towery Faults

Feanor reminds me of Basil Fawlty,

he just gets angrier and angrier and things generally go from bad to worse. I could easily visualise him whacking a Balrog with a sapling. So Feanor is not my favourite. Turin likewise, everything he does goes wrong (except Glaurung slaying), but then he ws cursed by Morgoth.

Fingolfin is my favourite of the 1st Agers, he at least tries to rule responsibly in Beleriand and ends up giving Morgoth a limp, which is more than anyone except Thorondor manages until Eonwe & Co turn up.

Also Glorfindel, all the Fellowship (except Boromir who I never trusted), Bilbo, Galadriel, Eomer, Eowyn and Balin.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:56 PM   #4
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumil View Post
So Feanor is not my favourite. Turin likewise, everything he does goes wrong (except Glaurung slaying), but then he ws cursed by Morgoth.
I like Turin! He does do everything wrong, whatever he does, but... bah, I just like tragic endings. Don't mind me.

<3 Turin.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:13 PM   #5
iDesmondHume
Newly Deceased

I gotta go with Huan. I wish I could see a movie version of the Huan vs Carcharoth fight. Epic
Old 06-08-2011, 07:23 PM   #6
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDesmondHume View Post
I gotta go with Huan. I wish I could see a movie version of the Huan vs Carcharoth fight. Epic
Hm. I like Huan too, but I'm a bit hesitant about putting anything from The Silmarillion into a movie... maybe this fight will be ok, as it is a fight, and fights could actually be done well.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:26 PM   #7
iDesmondHume
Newly Deceased

I would love the idea of Christopher Tolkien releasing a novel version of Beren and Luthien, kind of like he did with Turin in The Children of Hurin. I think that's a story worth retelling in novel form
Old 06-09-2011, 10:08 AM   #8
Puddleglum
Wight

Puddleglum has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Hm. I like Huan too, but I'm a bit hesitant about putting anything from The Silmarillion into a movie... maybe this fight will be ok, as it is a fight, and fights could actually be done well.
You know, I could imagine some student learning CG & Animation deciding to make a Fan-Film of this fight. It's localized (and potentially) short enough to be doable while still offering some room for a few actors to get in short cameos (even a nice "death" scene) if you start with Carcharoth biting at Beren's chest and end with Luthien weeping over Beren and telling him (his soul) to wait for her in Mandos. And in-between you can have your CG Wolf-Hound fight - complete with stalking, leaping, biting, slashing, baying & howling - an action-packed extravaganza.
Puddleglum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:23 AM   #9
Lobelia
Wight

Lobelia has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
I like Turin! He does do everything wrong, whatever he does, but... bah, I just like tragic endings. Don't mind me.

<3 Turin.
Would you really like Turin if he moved in next door? Or if you had to work with him? I know one thing, I wouldn't want to be his insurance agent!
Lobelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:01 AM   #10
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
Would you really like Turin if he moved in next door? Or if you had to work with him?
And get myself entangled with the curse? But if I was in ME, I wouldn't mind it that much...

Old 06-16-2011, 12:02 PM   #11
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDesmondHume View Post
A little thread about peoples' favorite characters in all of Tolkien's writings about middle-earth. I'm just curious to see different feelings that people have towards different characters and why

Also, more specifically, I'd like to know your opinion on Feanor as a whole, because I personally can't help but love him despite his disagreeable personality towards Noldor (something like Sawyer from Season 1 of Lost?)

Thanks
Hello! there! *waves* Boy, it's been a little while since I last posted.

I'm pretty sure there are a couple of other threads that concern our favourite characters, but I can never get tired of ranting about them So here they are, in no particular order (this might get long):

1. Maglor
2. Maedhros (I must admit, I hate those fanfics where he is portrayed as a perfect little angel)
3. Bilbo
4. Gandalf
5. Galadriel
6. Elrond
7. Glorfindel
8. Fëanor
9. Nerdanel
10. Túrin
11. Thingol (you had better believe it)
12. Celeborn
13. Finwë
14. Fingon
15. Beleg Cúthalion
16. Morwen

Erestor would be up there too, but he's more of a fan-created character, even though Tolkien technically invented him I'm neutral towards the race of Men. I do like Elros, though.

Actually, you know what, there are very few characters I dislike. Tuor is definitely one of them.

Hmm my opinion on Fëanor. It's sort of mixed, but in the end I like him. He appeals to me as a character (definitely not as a person). I mean, he's insane enough to start a war, but deep enough to marry a woman who is patient and adventurous rather than just "Leik zomg I'm Luthien and I'm sooooz prettyyyyss and I have teh gorgus voice!"

Yeah. Sorry. I just kind of have something against Lúthien and Arwen. They both seem kind of useless to me.

By the way, what are YOUR favourite characters? And your take on the Spirit of Fire?
Old 06-16-2011, 12:03 PM   #12
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
And get myself entangled with the curse? But if I was in ME, I wouldn't mind it that much...

Good gracious, why not?
Old 06-16-2011, 12:28 PM   #13
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel View Post
Good gracious, why not?
My question exactly. It would be worth it.

(PS: you people reading this are probably freaking out at your computers! )
Old 06-25-2011, 08:43 PM   #14
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Samwise. All heart. Courageous. Loyal. Stunning wisdom and perception sometimes. And no masks.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:49 AM   #15
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
My question exactly. It would be worth it.
I get the feeling you have a rather unhealthy obsession with ME. Or rather, unhealthier than is normal for a Tolkien fan Which is already quite a bit.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:02 AM   #16
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel View Post
I get the feeling you have a rather unhealthy obsession with ME. Or rather, unhealthier than is normal for a Tolkien fan Which is already quite a bit.
What?! You've just realised that?!?!?!
Old 06-27-2011, 04:39 AM   #17
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
What?! You've just realised that?!?!?!
Quite
Old 07-04-2011, 01:56 PM   #18
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
For me, there's two types here. There's the sort I'd like as friends, and the sort I like as characters. The two are totally different.

For friends, it's Samwise, and Faramir and Eowyn post-war. And the dwarven party from the Hobbit would be great to spend a few nights with.

As characters, though, it's a much broader spectrum. Feanor and his sons are such giant mythic figures, full of power and anger, making their inevitable downfall part of a great arc. Turin and Maeglin are that same way - they function great as a character, but not someone I'd want to spend time with.
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:48 PM   #19
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

McCaber!!!! Long time no Downs, isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCaber View Post
For me, there's two types here. There's the sort I'd like as friends, and the sort I like as characters. The two are totally different.
That is one important observation.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:15 PM   #20
blantyr
Wight

blantyr is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCaber View Post

For friends, it's Samwise, and Faramir and Eowyn post-war. And the dwarven party from the Hobbit would be great to spend a few nights with.

As characters, though, it's a much broader spectrum. Feanor and his sons are such giant mythic figures, full of power and anger, making their inevitable downfall part of a great arc. Turin and Maeglin are that same way - they function great as a character, but not someone I'd want to spend time with.
I note that you have Third Age friends and First Age characters. Part of this might well be the theme and style of the works. The First Age stuff is in the tragic style of the old epics, where the arrogance, greed and pride of the rulers bring disaster to all. The Third Age stuff assumes most folk, big or little, will contribute as they can to fight the Enemy.

I'm sure you'd find exceptions, but the trend would be real.
blantyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:02 PM   #21
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by blantyr View Post
See: Denethor, Theoden, Boromir, the last kings of Arnor and Gondor...
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:24 AM   #22
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by blantyr View Post
I note that you have Third Age friends and First Age characters. Part of this might well be the theme and style of the works. The First Age stuff is in the tragic style of the old epics, where the arrogance, greed and pride of the rulers bring disaster to all. The Third Age stuff assumes most folk, big or little, will contribute as they can to fight the Enemy.

Correct, though I'd rather have Beleg Cúthalion as a friend Not to mention Voronwë, Mablung and Finrod.