The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-06-2007, 08:09 AM   #1
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Tol-in-Gaurhoth XXXVI Admin/Discussion Thread

Here's the deal, kids:

Boromir88 and yours truly will be modding this adventure together, ergo any game-related PMs that apply to modding should be sent to both of us to keep everyone on the up and up.

---

3 Wolves
1 Seer
1 Cobbler
# Ordos

23 hour Days and Nights, beginning at 10AM EST and ending at 9AM EST. Wolves and Seer should get their pick in by 9AM EST to give enough time to write a decent narration which will then be posted, unless interruptions arise, by 10AM EST. Any village votes posted after 9AM EST will be ignored.

No retractable votes. No edits for any reason, including to say you cross-posted or to fix spelling errors. If you need to say something else about your post, double post.

Basic rules about communication apply. If you're a wolf, you can only PM your fellow wolves at Night. Ordos can't chat amongst themselves excepting during Day times on the game thread. Anybody can PM the mods at all times.

Multiple lynchings are allowed.

All players are to remain invisible at all times during the duration of their game life. Once you're dead, you can turn back your visibility, but no ghost discussions with the living. Dead [wo]men tell no tales.

---

Players can sign up here. This game will not be role-played, though if you want a role for use in narration, feel free.

Title suggestions are welcome.

We'll start ASAP after a minimum of 15 players have signed up.

---

Playing:

The Saucepan Man
Nogrod
Rune
Meneltarmacil
Lalwendë
the phantom
Brinniel
Holby
Gil
Durelin
Shastanis
Kath

Maybe:

Mithalwen

Last edited by Feanor of the Peredhil; 07-16-2007 at 12:51 PM.
Feanor of the Peredhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 08:40 AM   #2
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Thumbs up Back to basics ...

Old skool werewolf. Love it!

Sign me up.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:30 AM   #3
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
I couldn't even think of skipping this one...

So I'm in.

Nice to see you Spam as well!
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 10:29 AM   #4
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Put me down as a maybe, and once I find out my level of busyness for the next couple of weeks I'll get back to you.

A simple game does sound fun, but it's Fea modding, so I'm wary of believing it to be as simple as it seems!
Old 07-06-2007, 11:30 AM   #5
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
It's simple. Even the cobbler was B88's idea. I was simply spoiling for old school. Don't worry, dears, I used up my nastiness (or at least put a dint in it) for my Dark Lady game. Here, when people die, they stay dead and their roles die with them. It's legitimately possible for either team to win traditionally. If you need a reference, read the first ever Tol-in-Gaurhoth. Ain't nobody gonna gift it on this game. Y'all have to rely on wits, that's what.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:48 AM   #6
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Thumbs up

I shall sign up for this one. . . I should have enough time on my hands as long as it starts fairly soon.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 12:36 AM   #7
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I'll be signing up too.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:25 AM   #8
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
I should have enough time on my hands as long as it starts fairly soon.
This actually is my situation as well. I'll be having all the time for something like two and half weeks from now but from the last days of July (26th or something) onwards I will not be able to be online for some time.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:20 AM   #9
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I might be up for another game at last! The last one was quite stressful - not just due to the rigours of the game, but the timing of it! Have some hopefully quietish weeks at work coming up, and now the adventures of my Gallifreyan hero have come to an end I have a bit more time.

But I shall have to think of a new strategy...
Old 07-09-2007, 01:21 AM   #10
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Ooh...a simple game. I don't think we've had one of those since Mac's, which was my first. It's nice to change things up every once and awhile and go back to the basics....I'm interested.

Just a note on my schedule: My family is repainting and recarpeting the room with internet access over the next week or two, and since I don't have my wireless working yet, my access will be varied and may be only limited to (my) nights at times. Don't worry...I'll be able to post, I'm just not sure how often. Also, I'm having a very minor surgery (wisdom teeth) on the 16th and if that is during the Day, I'm not sure if I'll get online at all...it depends on how I'm feeling.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:52 AM   #11
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

The first post has been updated. I've added onto the player list and I've added the official times.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:58 PM   #12
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Oooh...that's very early for me.

Well then, I probably should warn everyone ahead of time that I will most definitely be voting several hours before the deadline, as there is no way I'll be able to get myself up before 8am.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:05 PM   #13
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Question

What are those times in GMT? Well, BST as it's summer time...Is EST New York time? I think that's 5 hours behind GMT so....9am would equal 3pm BST???
Old 07-09-2007, 01:21 PM   #14
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
23 hour Days and Nights, beginning at 10AM EST and ending at 9AM EST. Wolves and Seer should get their pick in by 9AM EST to give enough time to write a decent narration which will then be posted, unless interruptions arise, by 10AM EST. Any village votes posted after 9AM EST will be ignored.
I understand clearly this 23-hour Day/Night -cycle as I've modded myself before...

But do you live in a place where you observe the daylight savings time or are you in an area where they use EDT instead during the summer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by EST website
EST is 5 hours behind of Coordinated Universal Time (UTC)

Note that most places observe daylight saving time/summer time during summer, and are therefore using EDT instead in the summer.
Now UTC is the same thing as GMT. So if the Days and Nights begin at 10AM EST, will it be then 3PM GMT (UTC) as I quess (without daylight savings it would be 2PM GMT (UTC))?

To me the timetable is just nice as I myself live in an area +3 GMT so the Days and Nights will start at 6PM and posting will have to cease at 5PM. For someone having a holiday that's perfect - waking up at midday, having the coffee and reading the newspaper and then to start the Day or rush to the last minute action!

I just hope we get a few players somewhat quickly as I myself and think at least Rune will have problems if this is going to start later than sooner...
Old 07-09-2007, 01:25 PM   #15
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

A quick way of figuring out my time is this:

My clock, right now, says 3:25 PM. So whatever time your clock says I posted, there's your math.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:46 PM   #16
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
My clock, right now, says 3:25 PM. So whatever time your clock says I posted, there's your math.
To me it says 10.25 PM - and as I am in +3GMT that means the time was 7:25 PM GMT.

Making the little add-ons and subtractions and whatever one could do... it follows that the difference is -4 hours to GMT - from 3 to 7 that is - and thence -5 for Britain and -7 for Finland.

So:
9 AM EST (for Fea and thence the game - as most of the EST-regions in the U.S. will be on daylight savings but Fea seemingly is not) is:
= 1PM GMT
= 2 PM Great Britain
= 3 PM Central Europe
= 4 PM Finland

I hope I got it right...
Old 07-09-2007, 02:03 PM   #17
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Only problem is I refuse to alter clocks to BST as I think its a sinister modernism...I'll leave you to think if that is what I really think or not...

So anyway, it ought to have been 8.25 so my guess at a five hour difference was correct.

There, I really am a Time Lord
Old 07-09-2007, 02:46 PM   #18
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
please sign me up!
Old 07-09-2007, 04:58 PM   #19
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
i'm in...
Old 07-09-2007, 06:06 PM   #20
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
(for Fea and thence the game - as most of the EST-regions in the U.S. will be on daylight savings but Fea seemingly is not)
I just smile and do what the government tells me.

Question. What do you guys want, mod chosen wolves and cobbler or ones chosen by chance?
Old 07-09-2007, 06:13 PM   #21
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
It is really up to you. . . .but I actually like the fact that they are mod chosen, it opens up for more speculation.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:19 PM   #22
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Quote:
It is really up to you. . . .but I actually like the fact that they are mod chosen, it opens up for more speculation.
It's becoming a habit of mine to disagree with Rune - even if we seem to share most of our basic ideals about life, politics, religion, ethics etc.

But randomness is the state of the art I'd say! That's the way of doing it. No mod-choices but pure random - possibly aided by the hand of the mod if the outcome looks too bad... and what is a bad line-up anyway? If it looks underwhelmed, then it might succeed just because of that?

But in any case we should know which way it is, because if it's the mod-choice we will kill the phantom and Spm first but if it isn't we might actually listen to them...
(this last statement is suspectible to change after we see who are attending)

We? Maybe I was talking with a too wide a mouth?

Well, I at least would be ready to hold certain people really suspicious if they were hand-picked by you...

Last edited by Nogrod; 07-09-2007 at 08:22 PM.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:44 PM   #23
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

I agree with Nogrod...randomness is better. This way people can't use meta-reasoning (whether they mean to or not) and the game will be much more exciting.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:06 PM   #24
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

How does speculating in who has been picked for sertain roles make it any less exiting? Especially in this case where the mod is fea. . . she is cunning, I doubt that any of us would be able to guess who has the different roles.

I just really like that aspect of the game. . .not that it is that much a part of the game, I am seldome change my vote because of it. Still I find the speculation ejoyable.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:55 PM   #25
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Quote:
Still I find the speculation ejoyable.
I do find all specualtion enjoyable... and with this as starters we might be sure that we have no way of saying whether Fea will pick the baddies or not... and this discussion will continue in the game...

So nice that you asked this Fea! Now we will think about this in-game as we might not have done that otherwise or we might have dropped that discussion down a bit anyhow...

Sneaky you!
Old 07-09-2007, 11:00 PM   #26
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Well, I at least would be ready to hold certain people really suspicious if they were hand-picked by you... ~Nogrod
I could include you in that 'certain people' category.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:36 AM   #27
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

I forgot you might not believe anything I tell you.

In any case, any hand-picking would be approved by B88 before we hit go. I had planned to tell you if I chose randomly or intentionally, though now I'm wondering if I should, or indeed, if even if I did you'd listen. I can already hear the voices of... say the phantom and Nogrod... shouting down the roof of the world that you can't trust anything Fea tells you to be true...

What could be fun is randomly selecting the first werewolf and creating a team around that player. That way any speculation would have to wait until after a wolf dies, as until then, my choice motives would be hazier than they even are on a normal day.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:42 PM   #28
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Also, to add, every person signed up already could be a dubious and sneaky wolf ...so I guess I don't see any problem if the wolves are handpicked or chosen randomly. Personally, I think everyone who's signed up would be an excellent choice for a wolf anyway.

And when will everyone just stop trying to figure out the 'cogs' of Fea's mind? I gave up a long time ago and learned you just let Fea do what she wants and everything turns out fine. I would lose my sanity if I tried to figure out what she was thinking and why she picked the people she did (and even if she did pick them...that's a whole seperate can of worms ).
Old 07-10-2007, 05:09 PM   #29
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

I'd pick the phantom, Spam, and Nogrod just to watch them in action on the thread. Do you guys know how much fun it is to watch wolves work when you're in the know?

And just so you know, I have NOT yet picked any roles at all for anybody. The above statement is mere teasing. Please don't bother yourselves unduly with it once the game starts as it doesn't apply.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:14 PM   #30
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Quote:
Please don't bother yourselves unduly with it once the game starts as it doesn't apply.
You're really good at this Fea!

But hopefully some more people join the game sooner than later as I'm beginning to fear for my timetables in a few days...
Old 07-10-2007, 05:16 PM   #31
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Quote:
Do you guys know how much fun it is to watch wolves work when you're in the know?
I'd say that's the most fun and everyone should mod a game to just have the experience!
Old 07-10-2007, 06:18 PM   #32
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
You're really good at this Fea!
Oh hunny... and to think, I'm not even trying.

Trying is telling you that B88 is going to be one of the wolves and to win, you have to sacrifice the mods.

And then reminding you that this is a back to the basics old school game, so I'm obviously just trifling with you.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:00 PM   #33
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Quote:
I'd Do you guys know how much fun it is to watch wolves work when you're in the know?
Yes, due to my lack of skill as a wolf I do. . . . .

Old 07-10-2007, 08:29 PM   #34
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Quote:
Yes, due to my lack of skill as a wolf I do. . . . .
So begging to be one?

I'll be watching at you very closely Rune as my first task in-game!
Old 07-11-2007, 06:26 AM   #35
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Why would I beg to become something I am not good at?

hmmm maybe I should send a PM with requests to the Mods. . .

Old 07-13-2007, 12:39 PM   #36
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Can I be a definite Maybe? Trad ww, TP, and the chance to get my own back on SpM . .what more could a girl ask for? .... I will confirm ASAP

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 01:15 PM   #37
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

I'm seriously scared now - you guys are such old hands at this...I feel the words mince and meat springing to mind....
Old 07-13-2007, 01:26 PM   #38
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'm lookin' for a good time. Have I come to the right place?
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 01:48 PM   #39
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Can I be a definite Maybe?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin
I'm lookin' for a good time. Have I come to the right place?
Yes.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:03 AM   #40
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I'll play!
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote