The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-03-2005, 07:53 PM   #1
Rekol

Sting In the Movie

In the Movie the Nazgul says "Feed on his flesh" i do not rember reading this in the book, Why did PJ put this in the movie. Just wondering
Old 01-03-2005, 08:13 PM   #2
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye Welcome to the Downs, Rekol! I hope you like being dead...

This is one of several lines in the movie that PJ just threw in for no apparent reason. I guess he might have thought it would increase tension, but it was really kind of random and pointless.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:20 PM   #3
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
PJ is a fan of/has made gory films before. He probably thought it was cool.
Plus, for the Witch King's beast to eat the King of the Rohirrim, that's got to shame the Rohirrim and put fear into them too.

I think it decreases the majesty of fallen Númenor, if it can be majestic at all. Yes, it is a rather stupid line.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 02:38 AM   #4
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Welcome to the Downs, Rekol! Since your question concerns the movie(s), I'm moving this thread to the Movies forum. Please continue reading and posting there. I hope you enjoy yourself here!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 04:27 AM   #5
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
The line 'feed on his flesh' was no doubt taken from the WK's line to Eowyn
Quote:
He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shrivelled mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 12:20 PM   #6
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

That bit you just quoted, Essex, is the single most terrifying line in the whole book, for me. Can you imagine being in Eowyn's shoes and actually listening to those words, directed towards you, spoken by the Witch King?

*shivers*

They should really have put that line in!
Old 01-04-2005, 08:24 PM   #7
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I love that line. Love, love, love. Awesome. I find myself quoting it at the screen many, many times.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 12:22 PM   #8
Beanamir of Gondor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beanamir of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I just kind of wish that PJ hadn't had Merry say, "My lady!" at the Muster of the Rohirrim and ruin it all. PJ should totally have let Dernhelm exist, and all of a sudden when Miranda Otto whipped off the helmet and went, "I am no man!" the entire audience except for those who had read the book would be like, Holy orc filth! Dang, dang, dang! That fries me.

"I only lent you my body; you lent me your dream."
Beanamir of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 03:56 PM   #9
Captain of Despair
Pile O'Bones

Captain of Despair has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanamir of Gondor
I just kind of wish that PJ hadn't had Merry say, "My lady!" at the Muster of the Rohirrim and ruin it all. PJ should totally have let Dernhelm exist, and all of a sudden when Miranda Otto whipped off the helmet and went, "I am no man!" the entire audience except for those who had read the book would be like, Holy orc filth! Dang, dang, dang! That fries me.
You have a very good point. It would have been so great if that had been included in the movie.

Regarding the "feed on his flesh" line, I think that it was added so that the audience would feel more hatred toward the Witchking.