The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-19-2006, 11:21 AM   #41
Elu Ancalime
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elu Ancalime has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elu Ancalime
I posted on the thread Southern Elves? that dealt with Dorwinnion. I made a rather long post, and I am dying for feedback. Thanks to Estelyn to reffering me here. Any feedback would be appreciated.
________
Dodge 440 history

Last edited by Elu Ancalime; 03-03-2011 at 10:44 PM.
Elu Ancalime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 11:40 AM   #42
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
"If you plan on reading my post, read all of it and give it a minute, or don't read it at all. I dont want anybody to misunderstand what I meant because they didnt read all of it. thnx "

I only had time to skim read your post when it first appeared and have not had a chance to give it in depth consideration though it contained interesting ideas. I would tentatively suggest that your opening comment quoted above (despite the smiley) is daunting and discourages anything other than a full scale response. I know that it is frustrating when posts are misunderstood but I think you may have scared a few people off....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:58 PM   #43
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elu Ancalime
I posted on the thread Southern Elves? that dealt with Dorwinnion. I made a rather long post, and I am dying for feedback. Thanks to Estelyn to reffering me here. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Sorry, Elu, I intended to at least rep you for that, but I hadn't spread enough reputation to rep you, so I didn't. I will correct it when possible. The whole Southern Elves discussion actually is a bit pancake. Sincerely,
the starter of the whole thread in question
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 07:30 PM   #44
Elu Ancalime
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elu Ancalime has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elu Ancalime
Thanks Thinl?mien. I didnt want to sound like I was asking for users to rep me, but I didnt want someone to reply to something that I stated in the post. If you've ever written an FAQ walkthrough of a game(I havent) the writers hat eit when people email them a question adressed in the FAQ. Same concept. Ill be sure to change that if i want any response though.
________
Silversurfer vaporizer

Last edited by Elu Ancalime; 03-03-2011 at 10:44 PM.
Elu Ancalime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 07:58 PM   #45
gralin musicteeth
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Tossing half-sick between grotesque reality and savage, frightening dreams
gralin musicteeth has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

NOBODY who has posted in this thread is as desperate for their thread to be successful as I have been for my pathetic threads. I even created an alter-ego to keep my threads alive (can you guess who it is???). But that was then. Now, I just don't care. I realize I don't have enough brain power to compete around here, so I hang out in Mirth.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:02 PM   #46
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gralin musicteeth
I realize I don't have enough brain power to compete around here, so I hang out in Mirth.
That's not such a bad spot. I sometimes have the same feeling, and I just love Mirth regardless. Then there are other times that I think I can do well in Books and such, but I'm not sure that that's even true. (See Signature.)
Old 01-20-2006, 05:20 PM   #47
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Quote:
But really, what thread ideas of yours never worked out?
All of them!

No really, if you want to base it upon if it made everyone feel warm and fuzzy inside, then yes.

Though, I have found that the only way you can get people to actually think is to make them challenge and profess each others' ideas. If everyone enjoys that, then I'm happy that everyone still creates thought. Even if they do hate me. At least everyone is thinking.

~ Ka
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 10:36 PM   #48
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE Ka
No really, if you want to base it upon if it made everyone feel warm and fuzzy inside, then yes.

Though, I have found that the only way you can get people to actually think is to make them challenge and profess each others' ideas. If everyone enjoys that, then I'm happy that everyone still creates thought. Even if they do hate me. At least everyone is thinking.
Now isn't that kind of ironic. A 'successful' thread, meaning one that is long, is usually long because people are "discussing" there different opinions. *cough*arguing*cough* So basically, we are happy with our thread when we cause people to disagree. What horrible people that makes us sound like!

At least it is all for enjoyment. I mean, it's not like they don't like "discussing".
Old 01-21-2006, 11:14 AM   #49
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Pipe Success through stirring?

I would say that a successful thread is an interesting thread, and an interesting thread throws a new light on some aspect of its subject. Sometimes a lively debate can provide the interest, but often a lot of people who agree can build on one another's insights to create a fascinating read. Sometimes heated debate simply turns an interesting question into a string of posts that quote each other in detail as a prelude to tedious hair-splittings; an approach which is only gripping if you happen to be a combatant.

Perhaps success should be measured in terms of intent: the longest-running thread that I ever started has become at best a list and at worst a chat room, so I suppose that it wasn't thought out as well as it could have been. Strangely, my favourite among threads that I started only received very few responses, most of them from yours truly; but those few posts from other members justified the whole exercise, even if they all languish unread forever.
Old 01-21-2006, 05:39 PM   #50
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurthang
Now isn't that kind of ironic. A 'successful' thread, meaning one that is long, is usually long because people are "discussing" there different opinions. *cough*arguing*cough* So basically, we are happy with our thread when we cause people to disagree. What horrible people that makes us sound like!

At least it is all for enjoyment. I mean, it's not like they don't like "discussing".

Well, upon analyzing the original post to this thread, and that of the psychological make-up of most members, the thread being long may be 'successful', but I believe most people prefer something that makes them happy or gives them a sense of joy, however short it may be. It really is a Quality vs. Quantity concept. Do you want a small gem or a push cart full of fool's gold?

What I meant wasn't that I liked people to 'disagree', only that they would show and support their own thoughts, and not the unconditional acceptance that we are bound to in society. We walk around with the belief, that, if we think, feel, and behave in accordance with the people around us, we'll get the positive regard we long for.
But, when we hit the grain of differences, we push out our ideas upon the matter and say, 'Hey! I think Balrogs DO have wings! And i'm going to explain my reasoning (personal ideas) to you...'

Yes, it may seem horrible, but at least there is thought. I can't imagine a Balrog thread on here that has been met with apathy...
And if there was one, then that would call reason for concern. I agree though, everyone has the conditional acceptance of discussion...

~ Rogerian Psychology Ka
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 02:28 AM   #51
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
In all my four years on the BD, I've only started nine threads, none of which were too successful, the best one being Real LOTR Places with 40 posts.

I consider my biggest failure to be Middle-earth's First Annual Invention Convention. I was hoping it to be an original fun-filled thread with many replies, but I only ended up with eight (one being myself). Perhaps my idea was a little too complicated..... I don't know.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:16 PM   #52
zxcvbn
Wight

zxcvbn has just left Hobbiton.
My biggest complaints about this forum are that there are so few members around, and even fewer who post. Yes, we have quality over quantity, but the quantity is so miniscule. For the past month, I've started many (IMHO) interesting threads but seeing the increasingly low response I'm starting to lose my enthusiasm like the posters above.
zxcvbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 01:37 PM   #53
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

I had big hopes for 'If This is the Answer, What is the Question?' but alas, it was not to be.
The 'Out of Context Contest' I thought had potential, but once again I was mistaken.

Of the threads I've started, I think only the Newspaper has been 'successful' so to speak. Although, the number of people reading it and the number of people disgusted by it are roughly the same.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:49 PM   #54
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

Elmo has just left Hobbiton.
Just read my thread starting history! Memorable ones include when I wrote a long slating about Finarfin's role in the Noldor's rebellion, that had one reply and another about Gondor's role as a colonial power, that was completely ignored, then pity bumped, had a couple more replies and then ignored again
Old 01-21-2008, 02:17 PM   #55
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Ah, the world of internet discussion: one crushing defeat after another.

The Barrow-Downs has a certain balance to it that I've always found reassuring. There are busier sites out there but they leave me bewildered and frightened. The Downs is home. Fear not about replies: someone will find your thread in a couple of years and restart it. There's a certain beauty to this phenomenon.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:40 PM   #56
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Hmmm. Lower expectations = less disappointment.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:37 AM   #57
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
Of the threads I've started, I think only the Newspaper has been 'successful' so to speak. Although, the number of people reading it and the number of people disgusted by it are roughly the same.
Such is the life of those holding positions of power in the Fourth Estate. Imagine how the editor of the Daily Mail feels