The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2003, 07:15 PM   #1
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting The Witch King

Apparently, this is he.<P><A HREF="http://www.theonering.net/scrapbook/view/9030" TARGET=_blank>The Witch King</A><P>Someone in another thread was trying to convince me that when Gandalf faces that Nazgul near the citidel in the ROTK preview that is packaged with the Towers DVD, it is not the Witch King he faces. This would lend credence to that.<P>H.C.
Old 10-13-2003, 07:39 PM   #2
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

Now that is scary! Good find HC! Just a theory in comment to the Nazgul Gandalf faces in the preview. Maybe it is the Witch King but he just has his hood up so you can't see the crown. Just an idea.

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 08:00 PM   #3
Amarantha_Daisy
Wight

Amarantha_Daisy has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Eeeek! That *is* scary! Thanks for the link I love his helmet...The movie's costume design is just wonderful. I certainly hope this is *the* Witch-King. I'd love to see him on the big screen!
Old 10-13-2003, 08:10 PM   #4
Morquesse
Wight

Morquesse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I love it! Thank you HC! It's perfect! The helmet gives a dead feeling, along with creepiness. Marvelous! I just hope PJ does the Witch King versus the non-Man couple fight well! <BR>Thank you! Now I'm more excited than before! <BR>~M<BR>P.S. I hope it's the Witch King too, or they would have to come up with something better!
Old 10-13-2003, 10:56 PM   #5
Maéglin
Haunting Spirit

Maéglin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

He does look pretty cool doesn't he <BR>Although the Witch King isn't supposed to have a head so when he flings back his hood when he meet Gandalf at the gates (assuming they film that scene) I hope they don't make it look cheesy.
Maéglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 12:51 AM   #6
samrohan
Wight

samrohan has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Lovely helmet. Though he does not have a head, a helmet would be supported in the same way the cloak would be.<P>Nice one
Old 10-15-2003, 12:16 AM   #7
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

With that pointed helmet and no visible face, it's got a vaguely Klan look to it - not that it's exactly wildly out of character for him, just thought I'd mention it.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:55 AM   #8
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dûm

Olorin_TLA has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

Klan?<P>Anyway, that IS the WK, as it's his profile pic on <A HREF="http://www.lordoftherings.net" TARGET=_blank>www.lordoftherings.net</A> <P>And THANK GOD this means they'll replace the "You cannot enter here!" passage with some lame rooftop-Nazgul sequence!!!!!!! <P>Although how that trailer one doesn't get shot down is going to be...intersting...

ELENDIL! - Join "Forth Tolkiengas!"
Olorin_TLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 01:33 PM   #9
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> And THANK GOD this means they'll replace the "You cannot enter here!" passage with some lame rooftop-Nazgul sequence!!!!!!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I wouldn't assume that. It seems to me the most likely thing is that the confrontation at the gate happens, more or less, as it does in the book. The Nazgul on the "rooftop" is another bump in the road to trying to save Faramir's life.<P>H.C.
Old 10-15-2003, 05:02 PM   #10
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Squee!!! That is the scariest, doom-bringing thing that I have ever seen! Thanks, HC!
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 05:20 PM   #11
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> The Nazgul on the "rooftop" is another bump in the road to trying to save Faramir's life.<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I agree. That's is how I thought it would work out. Pippin is already with Gandalf there, so I would assume they're on the way to save Faramir. They shouldn't make that *the* confrontation with Gandalf and the WK. Hopefully they will have the whole scene with that play out like it does in the book.<BR>Arwen
Old 10-15-2003, 11:28 PM   #12
Maéglin
Haunting Spirit

Maéglin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Nah I don't think its really 'Klan'-like (thats the Klu Klux Klan Olorin) but the helm seems to resemble the crest-headed Pterodactyl. I remember reading somewhere (a JRRT letter methinks) that the idea for the Nazgul winged beasts Tolkien received were from Pterodactyls which were newly discovered at the time (I THINK) so maybe Howe and Lee decide to take up on the idea and give the Witch King that look.
Maéglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 05:12 AM   #13
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think this IS the confrontation scene. I think it might be a bit different to the book, in that we may already have had the pyre scene (i now believe it WILL be in after reading the review by quickbeam from theonering.net on another thread)<P>then gandalf and pippin 'confront' the wk. he flies off when he hears the rohirrim (doesn't look like we have them charging at dawn...)<P>because the wk is on his fell beast instead of his horse he get's to theoden much quicker than gandalf, and gandalf turns up (with pippin) "too late". this could also explain why pippin has been seen in various shots on the field of battle.....<P>anyway, probably totally wrong!
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 06:33 AM   #14
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

quote:<BR>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<BR> And THANK GOD this means they'll replace the "You cannot enter here!" passage with some lame rooftop-Nazgul sequence!!!!!!! <BR>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<P>I wouldn't assume that. It seems to me the most likely thing is that the confrontation at the gate happens, more or less, as it does in the book. The Nazgul on the "rooftop" is another bump in the road to trying to save Faramir's life.<P>H.C.<P>___________________________________ _________<P>Whoops! I emant thank god they WON'T replace it! (Which was what I was thinking might happen when I saw roof Nazgul on the trailer)

Old 10-21-2003, 10:16 AM   #15
rudeboy
Animated Skeleton

rudeboy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Is it definetly the WK and not the Mouth, I thought WK had a crown and the MoS had a helmet!
rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 05:11 PM   #16
Seagull Jonathan L.
Pile O'Bones

Seagull Jonathan L. has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Ewwwww,it is so not me.Absolute lack of style.I would never put that thing on my head.But you are right,it's really scary.
Old 10-27-2003, 09:34 PM   #17
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

These are absolutely gorgeous, wallpaper sized shots of the Witch King.<P><A HREF="http://www.lordoftherings.net/media/desktops/creatures_witchking1_1280.jpg" TARGET=_blank>Witch King 1</A><P><A HREF="http://www.lordoftherings.net/media/desktops/creatures_witchking2_1280.jpg" TARGET=_blank>Witch King 2</A><P>The second raises a question though because it is the Gandalf confrontation scene near the citidel that we saw in the preview packaged with the Towers DVD. It is not the same Nazgul as in the preview. My guess is that this is a composite that they put together to make a cool (and it is very cool) promotional image and doesn't represent the scene as it appears in the film. I don't think this is an indication that Gandalf doesn't meet the Witch King at the gates.<P>By the way, there's one of Shelob too.<P><A HREF="http://www.lordoftherings.net/media/desktops/creatures_shelob_1280.jpg" TARGET=_blank>Shelob</A><P>H.C.
Old 10-28-2003, 01:09 AM   #18
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Oh, gosh, that is kind of scary!<BR>That mask, helmet, thing, oh my!<P>Now Shelob has totally not scared me at all, but that photo of the Witch King, well, Ahhhhhh... <P>But it is perfect though, he is supposed to be really freaky.
Old 10-28-2003, 04:12 AM   #19
Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gorgeous? Interesting description...<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Whoops! I emant thank god they WON'T replace it! (Which was what I was thinking might happen when I saw roof Nazgul on the trailer)<BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Oh. I just thought you were being sarky.<P>To be honest, all this trying to figure out what will happen in the films is too tiring. I think I might just wait and see.
Old 10-28-2003, 06:29 AM   #20
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>The second raises a question though because it is the Gandalf confrontation scene near the citidel that we saw in the preview packaged with the Towers DVD. It is not the same Nazgul as in the preview. My guess is that this is a composite that they put together to make a cool (and it is very cool) promotional image and doesn't represent the scene as it appears in the film. I don't think this is an indication that Gandalf doesn't meet the Witch King at the gates.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Let's hope so. <P>I guessElentári's right...especially considering their stil shots and trailer scenes don't amtch anymore.

Old 10-28-2003, 06:34 AM   #21
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>The second raises a question though because it is the Gandalf confrontation scene near the citidel that we saw in the preview packaged with the Towers DVD. It is not the same Nazgul as in the preview. My guess is that this is a composite that they put together to make a cool (and it is very cool) promotional image and doesn't represent the scene as it appears in the film. I don't think this is an indication that Gandalf doesn't meet the Witch King at the gates. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>What I think this raises is that the version of the nazgul at the gates in the tt dvd has been updated, and we will now see it as shown on the wallpaper.<P>ie it IS the witch king that gandalf (and pippin) are confronting at this point on the preview dvd.<P>this view only has credence if these wallpapers are from the official site. are they?
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 09:47 AM   #22
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

I see where you are coming from, but personally I have more faith in the preview packaged with Towers then a promotional image, even if it is from the official website.<P>Like it was previously mentioned, we'll just have to wait and see.<P>H.C.
Old 10-29-2003, 06:14 AM   #23
Ancalagon_the_Black
Newly Deceased

Ancalagon_the_Black has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Just a note, for those of you who are interested in exactly who the Nazgul were, and whence they came. <A HREF="http://www.rockjakten.com/nazgul_html/nazguls.html" TARGET=_blank>The Nine</A><P>Enjoy!<P>Now, onto topic. <P>That helmet reminds me of a helmet in a movie my little brother forced me to watch with him one time... I don't remember exactly what it was called... something like... Bionicle Somethingorother. Perhaps I sense a bit of plagiarism on someone's part...
Old 10-29-2003, 11:37 AM   #24
Sleepy Ranger
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sleepy Ranger has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via MSN to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via Yahoo to Sleepy Ranger
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Just a note, for those of you who are interested in exactly who the Nazgul were, and whence they came. The Nine <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Is that stuff correct?
Old 10-29-2003, 01:45 PM   #25
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

<P>Aside from some basic information about the Witch-King and Khamûl, none of what is shown on that page is Tolkien-based. It's possibly been made up for a game. Enjoy it if you like that sort of thing, but don't take it as a fact...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 01:50 PM   #26
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Sting

Wow Ancalagon_the_Black, what a link...I wonder where all of the Nazgul's names came from, and all that info. Maybe from a Tolkien letter. Anyway, all these spoilers, rumors, pictures and essays make my toes curl all the more with anticipation. Hopefully this will just make my movie experience all the more climatic when I actually get to see it.
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 05:41 AM   #27
Ancalagon_the_Black
Newly Deceased

Sting

Well, Estelyn Telcontar, I'm pretty for sure that they came from one of Tolkein's Letters, but I can't back that up properly. *sheepish grin* However, I can properly state that they weren't created for a game.<P>As far as I know, Sleept Ranger, most of them are accurate. I'm not certain about a few of them, but they all appear to be book canon. Maybe I'm not looking deep enough.
Old 10-30-2003, 06:33 AM   #28
Eurytus
Wight

Eurytus has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Well, Estelyn Telcontar, I'm pretty for sure that they came from one of Tolkein's Letters, but I can't back that up properly. *sheepish grin* However, I can properly state that they weren't created for a game. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>In fact I can confirm 100% that these were developed for a game. How do I know? I own the book in which they appear. They appear as part of the “Lords of Middle Earth” series, a range of books providing information for the Middle Earth Role Playing (MERP) game. The descriptions within the book are more detailed but it’s all made up of course, other than those for the Witchking and Khamul.<BR>It also contains other flights of fantasy such as Lungorthin, the white-fire Balrog who is the herald of Melkor’s throne room.

Lionel Hutz
Eurytus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 06:12 AM   #29
Ancalagon_the_Black
Newly Deceased

Sting

I stand corrected! *bows*<P>I beg pardon for giving out any misleading information, LoL.
Old 11-08-2003, 11:22 AM   #30
ArathorofBarahir
Wight

ArathorofBarahir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I love that picture of the Witch King! I can't wait to see Eowyn defeating the Witch King in ROTK!
Old 11-09-2003, 02:03 AM   #31
The Ninth Valar
Pile O'Bones

The Ninth Valar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

But that gaming stuff is just a random writer's imagination, right? Right. <P>One concern I have about the Witch King is his helmet: I think Mouth of Sauron when I see it. The big gaping maw in the lower half is how I pictured the Mouth's mask to look, while the Witch King, I pictured a crown on an invisible head or some such. Hm...
Old 11-09-2003, 04:12 AM   #32
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Yep, that's all made up.

Old 11-09-2003, 08:29 AM   #33
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Oh that dunce-cap was just beautiful!<P>Witch-king: ROAR! ROAR! ROAR!<P>Nazgul No. 5: I wonder if he realizes that I replaced his helmet with a dunce cap. <P>The rest of the Nazgul: *snicker snicker*
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 03:49 PM   #34
LePetitChoux
Vegetable of Doom

LePetitChoux has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to LePetitChoux
Pipe

Ren the Unclean sounds like something the Barrow-Downs Name Generator might come up with.
Old 11-09-2003, 05:33 PM   #35
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Sounds like Stimpy the Flatulent

Old 11-10-2003, 08:45 AM   #36
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

According to a movie book about weapons, the Witch King<P><BR>***LARGE SPOILER!!!***<BR>.<BR>.<BR>.<BR>.<BR>.<BR>.<BR>.<B R>..<BR>.<BR>.<BR>.<BR>.<BR>.<BR>.<BR>.<BR>Breaks Gandalf's staff in their confrontation. Sooo, not for Saruman, but it's fine for Gandalf. I suppose next G will be powerless...<BR>.<BR>.<BR>.<BR>.<BR>.<BR>.<BR>.<BR >.<BR>.<BR>.<BR>..<BR>.<BR>.<BR>.<BR>.<P><BR>Tha t sucks.

Old 11-15-2003, 10:16 AM   #37
ArathorofBarahir
Wight

ArathorofBarahir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think that the Witch King breaks Gandalfs staff is just a rumor. I don't think PJ would make up something like that.