The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-23-2006, 09:27 AM   #1
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Ring Vyne Ring to Rule Them All?

Here's an interesting item about an old Roman gold ring which is supposed to have inspired Tolkien in his creation of the One Ring. The real Vyne Ring has an associated curse, and apparently Tolkien worked for a time as an advisor to finds at Lydney (where the Vyne Ring was found) alongside 'the great archaeologist Sir Mortimer Wheeler'.

And here is the link to the correct page on the National Trust website.

I think this Ring must be somewhere near Mithalwen? Perhaps we should ask her to go and investigate - but not to touch it of course! We do not want a Mithalwen-wraith being our terrible Queen!

Old 05-23-2006, 09:38 AM   #2
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
That sounds a pretty good idea to me Mwahahahaha - and I might be a very good Queen I can do the voice but I draw the line at corgis and drinking Dubonnet with gin.

...actually although I live in Hampshire I am in the extreme south west of this large county whereas the Vyne is in the north east... much closer to Saucey although he lives in the next county - but we don't want to give him ideas do we

However it is not an impossible day trip.....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 09:58 AM   #3
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Tolkien

Cool links and interesting story, Lal. Just think of the RPG we could come up with--the 18th century farmer who found the ring suddenly transported back into the second or third age.... or a certain Mithalwen and Sauce .... The possibilities are endless.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:06 AM   #4
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
Great thread Lal , I am off down to my local farmers field with my spade to see if I can find any pretty Elven-ring-thingy-whatsits
Old 05-23-2006, 01:56 PM   #5
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The Romans were into curses. And having an inscription of what the particular curse was intended to do on the object used in the whole cursing ritual (which usually meant tossing it into the waters of a spring, which normally had healing associated with it but apparently also the opposite) was normal, so it would make sense that Tolkien's One Ring could be inspired by a Roman curse.

I suppose it could have been inspired by any number of curses, though...
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 02:00 PM   #6
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'm now thinking of a late 18th century style Mithalwen and Sauce, near neighbours in a small Hampshire village. In Jane Austen style, Mithalwen (Miss Mith Alwen-Bennet) is in need of a wealthy husband, and Sauce (Mr SP Mann Esq) in need of a small fortune to buy himself an army commission (and escape the wrath of a certain Mr Sarcy). When a newcomer to the village finds a small golden ring which promises untold power, there is a lot of underhand conniving going on as each character strives to claim possession.... everything is sorted out when Sir Auron returns to the village and reclaims his Ring and has everyone thrown in the workhouse.

Or would this story be more of a parody of LOTR itself? In which case, who would be the Ring bearer and who the tater-loving sidekick? Or would we also need a Gollum figure?

I am wise enough not to assign roles in this case.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:09 PM   #7
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I am not sure what to say... if a Bennet girl probably Mary but I am probably more of a Miss Bates type these days or one of the ghastly aunts .... Hey I could be Lady Catherine de Bourgh...... but who would be Mr Collins...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote