The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2003, 01:10 AM   #81
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Sting

Quote:
as per my [alas un]humble person, I beat you all. (yes, even you, burra) For I'm 5 persons at once, and it suits me well. I'm wise like 5 wizards, but only 1/5 of me is working properly, one 1/5 is careless, 2/5 are straying no one knows were, and 1/5 is treacherous. The case for medical study, somehow
*Sophia howls with laughter*

And as for my name... Sophia the Thunder Mistress was a nickname *cringes* given to me by a guy. I was looking for a name for Messenger, and he thought it up out of the blue. I find it apt, because I'm a philosophy major at school, and Sophia is rooted in the same word as philosophy (My greek is terrible, so I'm not going any farther into it than that). And the Thunder Mistress bit? Who doesn't want to chuck around lightning bolts at random [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]. I sure wouldn't mind.

Sophia
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Sophia the Thunder Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 01:47 AM   #82
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Quote:
In fact Lyra is from 'His Dark MAterials'- a fantastic trilogy by Philip Pullman which made me cry.
Me too. (That's a great place to have chosen your nick.) I love those books. I reread the ending of The Amber Spyglass in the middle of the night a lot... *goes off to find it*

~Menelien
Old 05-13-2003, 08:16 PM   #83
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

My nick origianlly came from aragorn's name when he was in Rivendell ( Estel ). Imagine my suprise when I found out some one else was useing my name in the chat rooms ( yes, I was useing it first )! So I had my name be The Only Real Estel ( you can probably figure out why... ) [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 03:26 PM   #84
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Helkahothion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Helkahothion Send a message via AIM to Helkahothion
Eye

I got Helkahothion from the name generator. I later asked Maikadilwen if it really ment André(my real name) but it didn't. SO she directed me to Vanimaedhel and she gave me the real elvish name: Anuion. I still am floating on the clouds with that name [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Helkahothion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 03:33 PM   #85
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Quote:
Anuion. I still am floating on the clouds with that name
I could tell. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] How was this figured out anyway?
Old 05-15-2003, 03:40 PM   #86
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

Well, there is a way to get your real ME names... Menelien is my Elvish one (not sure whether Quenya or Sindarin, but oh well), but lets not go all the way off topic... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

~Menelien
Old 05-15-2003, 03:42 PM   #87
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

I can't remember the elven name I got on the Downs name generator, but the translation of my real name, Sarah, is Berethiel. And this isn't exactly off-topic, GOTO. Don't worry. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 05-15-2003, 07:01 PM   #88
Arafangwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: WtR: 413 miles/Floating happily across the floor in the arms of The Phantom.....
Arafangwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Arafangwen Send a message via AIM to Arafangwen
Silmaril

Mine's from the name generator here, guess that was no big suprise to you guys. I have a few others I would rather be called now that I think of it... but no matter, it's to late anyhow.
Arafangwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 08:37 PM   #89
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

Carlas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Carlas
Sting

Back when I was known as Athril on the chat! It feels like forever, I was such a teeny-bopper! Anyways, I was chatting with a bunch of people (I think Legolas was one of them) and we were talking about that name, Legolas, and how it ment Greenleaf. They said that Car was red, though I don't think that is accurate, but I changed it to Carlas, and have forever loved it!
Old 05-16-2003, 08:14 AM   #90
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Helkahothion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Helkahothion Send a message via AIM to Helkahothion
Eye

Quote:
How was this figured out anyway?
According to the bible, André is short for Andreas, and that means: The male, the strong. Vanimaedhel translated the biblic translation to elfish, (Queneyan I believe) and out came the word Anui- the ON is just a male ending to make it more name-like if you know what I mean. (they have a word for that, but I can't quite remember it.)

It's funny since André, and Anuion kinda resemble each other.
Helkahothion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 08:16 AM   #91
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

A film.
Old 10-07-2003, 09:02 AM   #92
ArathorofBarahir
Wight

ArathorofBarahir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My nickname is the name of the main character of the novel I am writing. His name is Arathor and the region he hails from is the region of Barahir.
Old 10-07-2003, 10:21 AM   #93
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Sting

"Thenamir" was originally made up right out of the blue, off the top of my head. It was before I had discovered chat, or RP (at the ancient age of 36...I led a deprived childhood). My daughter was doing a little real-time freeform RP with some friends, and I found it interesting enough to want to join in. But I had to have a nick in a hurry. I wanted something that sounded Gondorian in origin, and so applied a mixture of letters from my real first name (known only to a select few) with the suffix "-mir" as in Faramir and Boromir -- hence "Thenamir"

It was not until many months afterwards that I asked an elvish expert (Sharku) whether there might be an actual meaning to the name. The "mir" suffix, of course, means "jewel", but "Thena" was tougher to parse. Sharku however came up with a couple of near-hits: "thina" (meaning "grey", hence, "thinamir", "grey-jewel") or possibly a corrupted pronunciation of "tinta" (meaning "sparkling", hence "tintamir", "sparkling-jewel"). Of course, any meaning assigned to the made-up name is purely coincidental, but it's nice to know I wasn't completely off-base in my chosen nick.
Old 10-07-2003, 01:32 PM   #94
vanwalossien
Shade of Carn Dûm

vanwalossien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I got my nick from the name generator, it wasn't until quite a bit later I figured out what my name really is in Elvish (Hiriel in Sindarin, Heriel in Quenya).
Quote:
I don't think a man has EVER given me a nickname.
One of my most used nicknames I got from a guy in my class, I don't really want to know why he thought of nicknaming me Ingvild Wormtongue... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2003, 05:36 PM   #95
Bashbrug the Thug

Sting

yet another name generator victim [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

i was looking for an elvish translation of my real name john (maybe to get tattooed in tengwar)but couldnt seem to find a list of translations anywhere
Old 10-07-2003, 08:00 PM   #96
Faenaduial
Wight

Faenaduial has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I wanted an elven name containing something about the stars and the night.

My nick is Sindarin meaning "radiant evening".
Old 10-07-2003, 09:19 PM   #97
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ican't remember where I got mine from. Outta left field, I suppose...
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 09:45 PM   #98
StarJewel
Wight

Location: I'm in my dear Maedhros' arms, dreaming the day away. Oh, who am I kidding, Chicago is nothing like that!
StarJewel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to StarJewel
Silmaril

I came up with mine because I thought it was a rought translation of "Miriel". Then again, this was a 3 a.m., and I was kind of tired, so who knows?

[ October 08, 2003: Message edited by: StarJewel ]
Old 10-08-2003, 08:00 PM   #99
QuickSlash
Wight

QuickSlash has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to QuickSlash Send a message via Yahoo to QuickSlash
Shield

Ah, some of these are very interesting. Good thread. <3.

My nickname is one that I've used many different places. For a while, it was what I registered with everywhere. QuickSlash was two different RP characters for me: one was a wildcat for a few lovely Redwall RPGs, and the other was a cheetah to go with a seperate char for a Ronin Warriors RPG. The Ronin Warriors one is still going, and I just posted there today. <3.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:40 PM   #100
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
yet another name generator victim
I was one...My name sounded funny, though. Then when I translated my name (with a little modification, that is) it came out Elenrod. And now I can't change my screen-name...oh, well, I fitted it into my History in Middle Earth, anyway...

Question: paur means fist; what does nil mean? All I came up with is -n(d)il, which means devotion.

Wala lang!
->The True Son of Finrod, and of Amarie the Vanyar

[ October 09, 2003: Message edited by: Nilpaurion Felagund ]
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 11:57 AM   #101
Morima
Haunting Spirit

Morima has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Morima Send a message via MSN to Morima
Sting

Carlas: Yeah, carnë means red in quenya [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Vanwalossien: Aww ... that's kinda sweet tho, lol!

Morima means (wrongly) black-hand in quenya, cos a character I wrote about is cursed so that she brings total bad luck over everyone she touches. So she wears black gloves always and is called Morima. The right spelling is Mórimár or sumthing I guess [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Aki Benetah.
Morima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 02:24 PM   #102
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Orofaniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofaniel
Sting

My nick comes from The Barrowdowns Name Generator. I just typed in my real name, and Orofaniel appeard on my screen, there were also a bunch of other names....Hobbit name, Orc name etc. I chose the elven name o'course. It's orignally written Orofâniel, but I dropped the '^' over the a..... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-09-2003, 03:10 PM   #103
aragornreborn
Wight

aragornreborn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, it would have been nice to have had an elvish translation for my name that I really, really liked. Still searching...

Anyway, well, when I saw the movies and read the books, Aragorn stuck out as a really great character and one that I could identify with - or at least strive to be like. (So did Faramir, but by the time I got to that part in the books, Aragorn had become ingrained as my favorite [and FaramirIsHere just didn't have the same ring to it :P ]. Although, Faramir is probably a closer representation of me. He seems more human and lighter than noble Aragorn).

Anywaaaay, to actually get to the point, aragornreborn just sort of popped into my head. So here I am!
At the name of Jesus every knee should bow and every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. - Phil. 2:10-11
aragornreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 03:49 PM   #104
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

On other message boards before this, I was known as "Aredhel" since my personality is remarkably like hers, but I decided to change it to Finwë since he was the one who had "started it all." Come on, how many chances do you get to marry two people, one of which is a Vanyarin bimbo???? (Even though I'm a girl; the term "bimbo" could apply to guys.)
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 07:21 AM   #105
vanwalossien
Shade of Carn Dûm

vanwalossien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
Vanwalossien: Aww ... that's kinda sweet
I doubt if he meant it to be sweet, but I kinda liked it. He knows that, and it greatly annoys him [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-10-2003, 07:23 AM   #106
Alkanoonion
Spirit in Eriador

Alkanoonion has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

My nick name is the elvish translation of my real name derived from using the downs name generator.
Old 10-10-2003, 02:36 PM   #107
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

As to my name, is it really that hard? [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] I constantly regret the fact that I tried to divide the words with an underscore, not knowing that for once in a lifetime this wonderful forum would actually allow me to have spaces in my name. But I guess the underscore serves to divide me from the scores of other Luthiens and Tinuviels haunting this ghostly barrow.

LePetitChoux, I've always loved your nick. I like cabbage, too. Are you French, by any chance? You look rather European.

Orual, your name has always intrugued me as well. I saw your name on a thread for the first time right after I had read Til We Have Faces, so I recognized it. Very cool.

I feel so unoriginal......

[ October 10, 2003: Message edited by: Luthien_ Tinuviel ]

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 03:43 PM   #108
tom bombariffic
Wight

tom bombariffic has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Well, my name was just cos I like Tom Bombadil. But I couldn't actually put Tom Bombadil because, lamentably, I'm not him. And because he's so splendidly bombatastic I decided to call myself that. But it looked too much like bombastic for my liking so I settled for this. hoom hom.
Old 10-11-2003, 04:26 PM   #109
Naurwen_of_Lothlorien
Haunting Spirit

Naurwen_of_Lothlorien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Naurwen_of_Lothlorien
Sting

Naurwen=Fire Maiden.

I'm a maiden and I love fire, so I found it quite fitting. I did a lot (read 'a bit') of work to get that!

And at the time of making the nick I was going through an "Wow, Elves and Lothlorien are great!" phase. So Naurwen of Lothlorien.

Plus I think it's fun to say outloud. Go on, say it. You know you want to. See, didn't that feel nice?

It's quite funny actually, because I'm a hobbit with an elf name. How pretty. And I'm actually of Hobbiton, not Lothlorien.

Hmmm...

Yours identity-crisesedly,
(Not even a word, I know)

~Naurwen of Hobbiton.
Naurwen_of_Lothlorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 06:00 PM   #110
Elfwine
Pile O'Bones

Elfwine has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Elfwine, son of Eomer, prince of the Golden Hall. Real original, I know. What can I say? My muse was on a coffee break.

I perhaps would have chosen Mordolien, the name I got from the generator here at the Barrow-Downs, but I didn't feel too Elvish at the time.
Old 10-12-2003, 02:43 AM   #111
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Silmaril

Yours is more original than mine, Elfwine. I'm just one of the many, many Tinuviels...I should have gone with Akedhi, but I hadn't made her up yet. (At least Akedhi doesn't lend itself to such awful nicknames. Like 'Tinny.' [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] )

The Denton is the name of one of the towns where I've lived.
Tinuviel of Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 04:53 AM   #112
Ellona

Sting

When I first saw Ellona I liked it. It means Dark Star (really me). Its meant to be Éllóna with the accents but it wouldn’t let me register with them. If anyone knows how to put the accents into your name when registering please could you PM me, this is my first post so I don’t mind registering again.

Thanks,
Éllóna
Old 10-12-2003, 10:45 AM   #113
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Sting

Quote:
it wouldn’t let me register with them.
It should have. Use the codes in the FAQ section in Novices and Newcomers.
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 12:10 PM   #114
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

Gah, I'm so rubbish at accents...

Another name thrown out from the BDs name generator. However, if you actually looked up my full name now in the name generator, it would give you a different name - Ascahyandel. It changes ever so often. Pity - I really like that name. Still, Blessed Night works fine for me...
Old 10-12-2003, 03:36 PM   #115
Amarantha_Daisy
Wight

Amarantha_Daisy has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Another name generator person... From the *Hobbit* name generator, mind you. No elves for me [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

Actually, Amarantha is my friend's hobbit name, not mine...But I liked hers better, so I stole it [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] Daisy is mine, so I figured I'd use them both, to make it fair...
Old 10-13-2003, 12:22 AM   #116
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

What do you know, my name was also generated by The Hobbit!
Old 10-13-2003, 01:14 AM   #117
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Everdawn= Like me, always bright like morning light [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] ok that rhymed... getting spooky... I think i read somewhere in fairy lore that Everdawn was a fairy maid.

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 10:49 AM   #118
Elvish Assassin

Sting

Meela:
Quote:
A film
That film wouldn't by any chance be "Cave Dwellers" would it?
Old 10-21-2003, 11:27 AM   #119
andreadawn
Pile O'Bones

andreadawn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My nick is my first and middle name squished together (how creative!) but it works for me. It sounds like something you might encounter in Tolkien's worlds.
Old 10-21-2003, 12:58 PM   #120
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Actually, it's from The Mummy Returns [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]