The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2003, 11:18 AM   #1
The Evenstar
Wight

The Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Ever wondered how to bake lembas? Here's the recipe!

Hey!

This is for all you curious chefs who want to bake the Elven bread, Lembas. When I made it, it was a great success. Why don't you try it?

LEMBAS:

What Tolkien says about Lembas:
-They contain honey
-they are light-colored on the inside and light brown crust
-they are thin and regular-shaped. This implies they were made on some kind of griddle iron. The closest modern equivalent is a Krumkake iron. I used a pizzelle iron.
Some other things we can guess:
-They contain the fruit and maybe the flower-water of the Mallorn tree. I substituted oranges, although kumquats What Tolkien says about Lembas:
-They contain honey
-they are light-colored on the inside and light brown crust
-they are thin and regular-shaped. This implies they were made on some kind of griddle iron. The closest modern equivalent is a Krumkake iron. I used a pizzelle iron.
Some other things we can guess:
-They contain the fruit and maybe the flower-water of the Mallorn tree. I substituted oranges, although kumquats or a hand of Buddha fruit might be better.
-They probably had some kind of finely ground light-colored nut in them. I used almonds.
-They contained some kind of nourishing flour. I used semolina flour, which is a more primitive flour, and also more nourishing.
-Galadriel probably used some kind of grinder to refine the ingredients. I used a blender.
The recipe:
3 eggs
1 cup honey (preferably wild honey)
1 tablespoon grated orange peel or three kumquats or one large finger of a hand of Buddha.
2 teaspoons orange flower water (optional)
3 oz blanched almonds
1/4 cup melted butter
2-1/4 cups semolina flour
1/2 teaspoon salt Place eggs, honey, orange peel or other fruit, orange flower water, and almonds in blender.
Blend on high for 3 minutes. Add 1 cup of the flour. Blend for 1 minute. Scrape into a bowl and add remaining flour and salt.
Whisk or stir until well blended. Bake lembas on a pizzelle or krumkake iron 15 seconds each or until lightly brown.
You may substitute a waffle iron but add a teaspoon of baking powder. (The texture will not be quite accurate in a waffle iron.)
or a hand of Buddha fruit might be better.
-They probably had some kind of finely ground light-colored nut in them. I used almonds.
-They contained some kind of nourishing flour. I used semolina flour, which is a more primitive flour, and also more nourishing.
-Galadriel probably used some kind of grinder to refine the ingredients. I used a blender.
The recipe:
3 eggs
1 cup honey (preferably wild honey)
1 tablespoon grated orange peel or three kumquats or one large finger of a hand of Buddha.
2 teaspoons orange flower water (optional)
3 oz blanched almonds
1/4 cup melted butter
2-1/4 cups semolina flour
1/2 teaspoon salt Place eggs, honey, orange peel or other fruit, orange flower water, and almonds in blender.
Blend on high for 3 minutes. Add 1 cup of the flour. Blend for 1 minute. Scrape into a bowl and add remaining flour and salt.
Whisk or stir until well blended. Bake lembas on a pizzelle or krumkake iron 15 seconds each or until lightly brown.
You may substitute a waffle iron but add a teaspoon of baking powder. (The texture will not be quite accurate in a waffle iron.)
Old 03-30-2003, 11:26 AM   #2
Elotareth
Animated Skeleton

Elotareth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Thanks, The Evenstar! Can't wait to try this one! (don't know what happened to your text, though. You've got a few repeats [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] )
Matthew 28:20
"Renewed shall be blade that was broken, the crownless again shall be king"
Elotareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 12:55 PM   #3
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Niluial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Niluial Send a message via MSN to Niluial
Sting

Oh this stuff is yummy! I made it I made ‘Lambas’ with out burning it (for once I dont burn something [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]) and it was the greatest! Repeat WAS the greatest but my batch doesn’t exist anymore, lets just say the family smelt it and got their grubby little hands on it! So now I am busy making some more and this time I will hide it! Yummy…
Niluial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 12:59 AM   #4
Annalaliath
Shade of Carn Dûm

Annalaliath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Annalaliath Send a message via Yahoo to Annalaliath
Sting

Dude I tried this today evan before i saw the post. Instead of using those things to cook them in you can cook them on a flat griddle like a tortilla. The only thing is, you need lot of buttr or the batter stuff will stick to EVERYTHING.
Old 04-05-2003, 03:03 PM   #5
Elotareth
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Ooh, I just made this and it turned out perfect! Instead of using an iron, I put square shaped globs of batter on a slightly greased cookie sheet and baked for about 5 minutes at 350. Then I flipped them, like pancakes, and baked for another approximate 5 minutes. They are just like the elf bread as I imagine it, because they are extremely filling and have a light taste, but are still flavourful. Now, if only I could find some mallorn leaves... I'm thinking of trying banana.
I was just joking that everyone would know how big an LotR freak I was if I stocked my Civil Air Patrol 72 hour survival pack with Lembas.... but anyway, thanks for the recipe!
Old 03-28-2005, 09:56 PM   #6
~Lady Of The Wood~

Pipe Great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elotareth
Ooh, I just made this and it turned out perfect! Instead of using an iron, I put square shaped globs of batter on a slightly greased cookie sheet and baked for about 5 minutes at 350. Then I flipped them, like pancakes, and baked for another approximate 5 minutes. They are just like the elf bread as I imagine it, because they are extremely filling and have a light taste, but are still flavourful. Now, if only I could find some mallorn leaves... I'm thinking of trying banana.
I was just joking that everyone would know how big an LotR freak I was if I stocked my Civil Air Patrol 72 hour survival pack with Lembas.... but anyway, thanks for the recipe!
That's great! I don't have a pizelle or crumcake iron, and I wondered if anyone had tried it on a cookie sheet! Now I can try it. Thanks!
Old 04-05-2003, 07:13 PM   #7
Faybevin Bombadil
Pile O'Bones

Faybevin Bombadil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Mmm ... sounds tasty. I'm sooo glad you posted this Evenstar. Can't wait to get the cooking pans out.

Love,
Faybevin
Her golden locks flowed behind her, bare of beads or braids. Naked shoulders led to elegant sleeves of forest green whilst her skirt was made of the same. Golden sheer was tied bout her waist and her feet were bare and everdancing, her mouth open in sweetest song.
Faybevin Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 04:47 AM   #8
The Evenstar
Wight

Silmaril

Oh, it's my pleasure. Thank you for trying out the recipe!
Old 04-06-2003, 11:40 AM   #9
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Any suggestions about how to do it without the aid of a blender? Has anyone tried? Will it work?
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Lyra Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 11:46 AM   #10
The Evenstar
Wight

Silmaril

Hey!

I'm not actually sure if it'll work - maybe not as well as with the blender. You could try
Old 04-06-2003, 02:53 PM   #11
Annalaliath
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

try a cuisin art that is the only thing that i am remotly close to that resembled an blender if not you could barrow one but that is usually difficult sience they may be llike sewing machines and completly go nutts. Now when i made the stuff the first time i use all purpose flour cause that is what i had and it stayed to gether well bu this new flour i have to bake it and not cook it on my griddle. but i guess the elves my have had fun with the instruction of cooking it like a tortilla. i should send some to christoper and see if he responds. hes in the Army and Korea, sigh....
Old 04-06-2003, 05:52 PM   #12
Elotareth
Animated Skeleton

Sting

I would also try one of those hand held electric mixers. When I made it, I went ahead and used the blender, but I remember thinking at the time that it probably would have worked fine just stirring by hand.
Also, I substituted 1 tsp Lemon extract and 1 tsp almond extract in place of the 2 tsp orange water. I also added about a tablespoon full of plain yogurt, which made it really good [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 04-06-2003, 05:53 PM   #13
Elotareth
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Oh yeah, the reason I didn't need a blender was that, instead of blanchd almonds, I used almond meal, which is basically ground up almonds. You can probably get it at a health food store.
Old 04-07-2003, 11:48 AM   #14
Annalaliath
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

or albertsons. you can get the ground up almonds at alberstsons. but i think that this was fun....... and my stepdad threatedned that he would not eat my lembas if he could not find it.....

[ April 07, 2003: Message edited by: Annalaliath ]
Old 04-09-2003, 02:20 PM   #15
Heathie4479
Pile O'Bones

Heathie4479 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Heathie4479
Sting

Me and my friends tired to make this only we didn't have honey so we used maple syrup insted. Also we mixed the ingredients wrong. It would have tasted so good, except for our mistakes and it was awful!! LoL I want to try it again, RIGHT, soon!
Heathie4479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 03:27 PM   #16
Elanor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elanor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hmm, I've tried this too, and I'm sorry to say it was one of the most disappointing things I've made. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] Although I have no idea what semolina flour is, so I used self raising, and perhaps that is what made the difference. Also, the honey I used had a very strong fragrance, which overpowered the rest of the flavours.
Old 04-09-2003, 03:51 PM   #17
Annalaliath
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

next time don't worry about the flour(it is pasta flour by the way) just use all purpose, not self rising. if you use all- purpose you can cook it like a tortilla(on a griddle), or in eastern terms, a pancake.
Old 04-09-2003, 04:45 PM   #18
Arafangwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: WtR: 413 miles/Floating happily across the floor in the arms of The Phantom.....
Arafangwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Arafangwen Send a message via AIM to Arafangwen
Sting

Wow that sounds great! I've always wanted to try lembas bread. Where can I find that special flour? I know that it's some sort of pasta stuff but thats all. How did you figure out the recipe? Oh, to many questions so little time! Thanx for helping! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Arafangwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 05:24 PM   #19
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

Hmmm... I know Mark 12:30 fries her lembas on a griddle, too. but I bake mine like bread and slice it (thus, the regular shape).

Lembas and many other Middle-earth inspired recipes are found here in the Arda recipe book.
Old 04-09-2003, 07:27 PM   #20
Goldberry
Shade of Carn Dûm

Goldberry has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Goldberry
Mmmm, this sounds good! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Speaking of lembas (sorry if this is the wrong place to post this) in lunch, they sell something called Elfin Crackers by Keebler. I just had to buy some; I couldn't possibly resist! Anyway . . . yep that's about it. lol, sorry, that was pretty dumb. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

The Evenstar - thanks for posting this! I'm gonna make some lembas as soon as I have free time.
Old 04-10-2003, 04:42 PM   #21
Annalaliath
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

you can find that flour at Albertsons, or any place like wildoats or whole foods. I just used it and it gives it a griny texture. And i found the reciapee on some web site that had them all ya need to do is type in Lebas in dogpile and you might be able to find it. Same recapee as the originall poster so she propbable found it on the same web site... hey we all are fans arn't we?
Old 07-13-2003, 03:27 PM   #22
Annalaliath
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

As soon as I get more almound I shall make more! I like it it is pretty much good. I would like to bring this thread back into the light! Yes this special flour makes the texture all strange. I am not going to use that again unless I can get some soy flour. That will make it more nutritious. And I shall try the yogert, no matter how much I hate it. I can also add soy nutts instead of almunds and then to flavor it I can use almond extract for flavor. I will let you all know how it turnd out.
Old 07-13-2003, 04:42 PM   #23
Olorin
Wight

Olorin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Olorin
Thumbs up

Oooo. This sounds yummy. Very yummy indeed. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 07-13-2003, 06:28 PM   #24
Alatariel Telemnar
Shade of Carn Dûm

Alatariel Telemnar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Alatariel Telemnar
Sting

Yep! Sounds very delicious! I shall have to try it one time [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

'Poor ye. Ye're tied to someone who's been photographed trying to shave their hand... My condolences.'
Alatariel Telemnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 08:51 AM   #25
Aredhel Ar Feiniel
Pile O'Bones

Aredhel Ar Feiniel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Woohoo!! Must beg mother dearest to take me ingredient shopping when she returns... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 07-14-2003, 08:55 AM   #26
Annalaliath
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

I did a serch. There are at least two other recapies out there. I will put them down next time I have the time.

I will make this Lembas if it is the last thing I do. Tonight...... after the long school hours.
Old 07-15-2003, 01:13 AM   #27
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
I was wondering about what to do this weekend, and POOF! A lembas recipe right in front of me!

thanks for making me feel less mundane!

[ July 15, 2003: Message edited by: Neferchoirwen ]
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 11:53 AM   #28
Tarien Ithil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tarien Ithil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I've just scoffed myself with lembas (I feel full) and thanks so much Evenstar!

Anyway, I didn't grill it in a waffle iron; I fried it, but it wa still yummy! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks again.

Crickhollow
Tarien Ithil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 02:16 PM   #29
Annalaliath
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

It was all in the old thingsin the back. Had to search fro this old thread........... Have fun, I wanted to bring this one back anyway.
Old 07-16-2003, 01:14 AM   #30
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

Kudos to you, then, Annalaith!

question to Tarien:
you fried them? with what? Butter? canola oil? LARD? what's the difference?

[ July 16, 2003: Message edited by: Neferchoirwen ]
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 05:43 AM   #31
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Fried it? Did it taste the same? Oh tell us how you fried it?

Oh when I visited The_Evenstar we made lots of Lembas and scoffed it talking about Tolkien and watching LotR it is the only way to do it!!!
Old 07-16-2003, 07:58 AM   #32
Linnamalle
Haunting Spirit

Linnamalle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I bake mine in a cast iron frypan, but you could fry it (the Scots do that with their "griddle scones".) I always use butter. And as for the best way to eat it (do you mean "scarf"?) I find that a quiet little trail through a beech forest or a pine ridge makes the Lembas especially enjoyable. It is "waybread" after all.
They spoke no more of the small news of the Shire far away; nor of the dark shadows and perils that encompassed them, but of the fair things they had seen in the world together, of the Elves, of the stars, of trees, and the gentle fall of the bright year in the woods.
Linnamalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 11:47 AM   #33
Tarien Ithil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tarien Ithil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Well, I simply did it like a pancake.

I put the batter in the frying pan with olive oil (you can use sunflower oil too) and it tasted very pleasant (and filling!) [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Crickhollow
Tarien Ithil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 02:06 PM   #34
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Yumm… sounds yummy Tarien!!!! Linnamalle I suppose you are right… it is nice to do it outside n an adventure! The_Evenstar and I would have don it but it is winter here!
Old 07-16-2003, 02:50 PM   #35
Roccotari Eldandil
Haunting Spirit

Roccotari Eldandil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

He he he... I am so bringing this to school for lunch. And to the movie premiere. If only I can overcome my baking disabilities...
Old 07-16-2003, 03:01 PM   #36
Annalaliath
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Well depending on the flour that I use I cook them on a griddle like a tortilla. Although the honey makes the batter stick to everything, so I have to use lots of butter to keep it from sticking. Wow my spelling in that last post is horrable! I like this thread because it was one of the first ones I posted in....... Back to topic, when I say it depends on the type of flour used I mean that if you use semolina it is doesn't stay together on the griddle as well than if you use all purpose. the special flour just gives it a differnt texture.......
Old 05-12-2009, 12:53 PM   #37
Aiwë
Newly Deceased

Aiwë has just left Hobbiton.
I think I'm going to try it...
Old 05-12-2009, 06:28 PM   #38
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiwë View Post
I think I'm going to try it...
Oh very good! Lembas is lovely!
Old 07-16-2003, 04:07 PM   #39
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Quote:
If only I can overcome my baking disabilities...
Hmmm…I suffer from that! I doubt we will be cooking a meal together (apart from two minute noodles..???) anytime soon [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]!

Quote:
it depends on the type of flour used I mean that if you use semolina it is doesn't stay together on the griddle as well than if you use all purpose. the special flour just gives it a different texture.......
I know I also find that!!
Old 07-16-2003, 06:21 PM   #40
Aredhel Ar Feiniel
Pile O'Bones

Aredhel Ar Feiniel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Mmmmmmmmm! Just finished baking my first batch of lembas- it was delicious!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Thanks so much for the recipe, Evenstar! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]