The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-21-2003, 01:36 PM   #1
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Sting The importance of intelligent debate

I expressed the following views in a private message earlier in the week, as well as in one of the threads on this board; and was urged to publish my views on the off-chance that I can calm down some of the more heated debates on the subject of the recent Lord of the Rings films.

Now, I know that this is a very emotive subject, as it concerns our deepest feelings about Tolkien's work and how it ought to be (or has been) handled by the film-makers, but I have been growing increasingly concerned about the standard of debate in this board, so I shall quote two passages from the PM in question and then leave you to talk amongst yourselves. I see no reason to remain and discuss the films, in which I have no real interest other than as cinematic curiosities.
Quote:
I have finally been able to get off my chest the nagging problem I've had with Movies for a long time. People have been polarising into two groups: those who loved the films and won't hear a word against them and those who hated the films and don't have anything good to say about them. Both groups are breaking all the rules of intelligent discussion: criticising people rather than their ideas, taking comments about the film personally and choosing their words apparently at random, with no thought to their possible interpretation. Perhaps some would have benefitted from seeing the entire Entmoot in real time to teach them a little patience.
Quote:
What upsets me is that we all came here because we admire Tolkien, and people are losing sight of that in their little personal crusades; which lead to the sort of feeble debate that he would have deplored.
Please try to observe the rules of reasonable debate to which Tolkien himself conformed. If we wish to honour his memory, surely we can do so better by discussing things in a manner that would have made him proud, rather than one that would have aroused only his scorn.

Last edited by The Squatter of Amon Rûdh; 06-16-2004 at 04:47 AM.
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 01:44 PM   #2
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

A heartfelt 'Amen' from the moderator of this forum, Squatter! My work would be easier and more enjoyable if everyone heeded those rules.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 03:16 PM   #3
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

I've been drifting away from the Movies forum lately for this very reason, for it seems any debate thread started about the movies degenerates into this general argument:<P>"I'm a better Tolkien fan because..."<BR>"Oh yeah? Make your own movie then!"<BR>"Peter Jackson is an [insert tasteless comment here]."<BR>"No he's not! He is Tolkien reincarnated!"<BR>"Yes he is an [ITCH], and so are you!"<BR>"Well, so are you!"<BR>"And so's your mother!"<BR>Et cetera ad nauseam.<P>This is really too bad, for then the discussion ceases to be about the movie or Tolkien at all.<P>It is a shame that there should be two "camps". I consider myself to be floating somewhere in between, so I often find myself having little interest in a matter save to express my displeasure with the ascerbic tone of the posts. But it seems when the whole mood of a thread is spiraling downwards, anything that is said is taken in an offensive manner by the readers.<P>I've been waiting for someone to start a topic like this for awhile. Thank you, Squatter, I couldn’t agree more.
Old 02-21-2003, 03:29 PM   #4
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Rimbaud has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

A true Tolkien appreciator could never be fond of the films in question, nor support so weak an argument as the first clause in this sentence.
Old 02-21-2003, 03:55 PM   #5
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

What's that, double talk?
Old 02-21-2003, 04:22 PM   #6
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Sting

I don't want to come off as a hypocritical, crabby cow, but you have to consider the age of some of the posters on this board. Young people tend to get more impassioned about stuff like that, and sometimes it's hard to make them come off it.<P>-*say I, at my ripe old age of 18*<P>Though thank you, dear Squatter, for reminding us all to quit getting our panties in a twist at the expense of intelligent debate. <P>P.S. Rimbaud, it's the weekend, most people's brains are running on half their capacity, you can't through out complexities like that at us and not expect us to start twitching.
Old 02-21-2003, 04:34 PM   #7
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sting

Must... not... twitch! It's just what he wants, so don't give him the satisfaction!<P>It is sad that virtually every thread in Movies sooner or later ends up in some variation of Diamond18's outline, but I've long since made my peace with it. Now I only come down here when I feel like telling someone what an !@# they are.
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 05:12 PM   #8
Merri
Wight

Merri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Amen to that, Squatter! I'm not a frequenter of the movie forums, I admit, but this is a request that I firmly believe should be followed throughout the Barrowdowns.
Old 02-21-2003, 05:48 PM   #9
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I second those opinions, Squatter. It's about time some one finally said something about it. {Why didn't I think of it?} <P>Anyway, I agree with all of you. The majority of the threads in this section have to do with what we think of the actors or the differences in the book and movie. I don't mind the second one as bad, but the fangirl thing is really aggrovating. {Oh, and might I add fan<B>boy</B>?} Yes, sadly some of the guys have drifted into the obsessive fandom here. <P>So, are we finally going to get rid of all of this or what? How about some actual intelligent threads about the movie...other than "Why did Pj change the movie so much? He has no right to do that" kind of stuff.
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 06:01 PM   #10
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

When you try to have an intelligent thread about the movie ( merely because you like the movies, for whatever reason) you open yourself up to snide remarks from "the movie sucks" contingent! (sorry, we are supposed to get 10 more inches of snow this weekend, it is making me CRAZY! )
Old 02-21-2003, 06:28 PM   #11
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I think you may have missed my point. The fault is on both sides. I refuse to have my thread complaining about feeble debate turn into a feeble debate.

Last edited by The Squatter of Amon Rûdh; 06-16-2004 at 04:48 AM.
Old 02-21-2003, 06:36 PM   #12
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

OK....So what would work here?
Old 02-21-2003, 06:45 PM   #13
Lush
Fair and Cold

Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Sting

What <I>would</I> work here is for all of us to kiss and make up and go on to have meaningful conversations and stop being boring, redundant and reactionary (by saying this, I hope you realize that I will follow my own advice, as I too have been guilty in the past of sniping at other posters in the Movies forum, most notably the innocent <B>lindil</B> who did nothing to deserve my misplaced wrath).<P>*EDIT* While I pledge to curb the sniping, I doubt I will be able to wean myself off my habit of poking fun at certain members' statements (not the members themselves though, as you may note).<p>[ February 21, 2003: Message edited by: Lush ]
Old 02-21-2003, 06:52 PM   #14
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I will do that! No problem! Happy threads for all!!
Old 02-21-2003, 07:28 PM   #15
Dain
Wight

Dain has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I thought that some of the discussions had good, interesting points in them, even though they got a bit heated (though it is hard to tell sometimes, to read tone into text). Things may get said over and over again, but usually by different people. Some people just want to chime in and express their view on the subject, which I can understand and accept, and then go back to reading the dialogue that is going back and forth. It's usually the one-time posts that disrupt the debate, but with subjects like these films, people like to get their feelings off the chest, and I think that's fine--I read, and get a sense of how many people thing this or that, then I go on. <P>I think some of the discussions (esp. "An atrocious film...") became an attempt for each side to explain themselves to the other, and while that's not exactly intelligent debate, and there won't be many changed opinions, it is enlightening to read a thoughtfully constructed reason why somebody liked/hated the films that you hated/liked or whatever the subject was. At least, I thought so. If you don't like the level of the discussion, don't read it--I avoid subjects I know I won't like reading. I also wish the discussion to be a little lighter in tone, and less repetative, but with so many different people with opinions it isn't easy. Anyway, here's hoping for a kindler, gentler future...
Old 02-22-2003, 12:27 AM   #16
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Morgul Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Morgul Queen
A wonderful idea but as the saying goes: Easier said than done.<P>As much as we want to follow the rules we will usually get impassioned and start with the name calling and the hair pulling (though I still dont know whats going through PJ's head most of the time *thinks of the dead marshes *cringes*).
Morgul Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 03:28 AM   #17
Spectre of Decay

Sting

Morgul Queen, I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes when I read some of the opinions expressed by my fellow forum members I get so angry that I want to hit something. When that happens I go away to Middle-Earth Mayhem for some Tolkien-related silliness, come back amused and happy, and then respond.
Old 02-22-2003, 04:02 AM   #18
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

Squatter, As the one who set off the 'Attrocious movie' thread, can I just say I was in a bad mood that day & was mainly inspired to post because my main form of stress relief was not to hand (its a PJ doll which I stick pins in). <BR>I deliberatley went over the top to spark debate. I also felt that if I expressed an extreme position others might feel equally free to express their opinions. Don't take everything people say at face value.(Still think the movies are an insult to a great man's life work!)
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 04:16 AM   #19
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

I too have posted hastily and irascibly on (rare) occasions. However, all of us have the possibility of editing or deleting our own posts, and I have made use of that when I realized that my post was not appropriate in content and/or tone. I highly recommend the use of the virtual eraser! Better yet, type the post into the word processor, wait and do something else, then reread and post if it still sounds good.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 08:00 PM   #20
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

I'm sorry, I am really stretched for time so I can't go into depth in this post. WHen I get a chance I will.<P>For right now I just want to talk about the two opposite groups that The Squatter of Amon Rûdh said. Yes, there are those two groups, but you didn't mention several other groups. I think Diamond18 was getting at this. Diamond18 part of the group in the middle, but there are other groups too. I consider part of my group as leaning towards, "those who hated the films and don't have anything good to say about them', but not exactly. Because I hate certains parts of the movies (a lot actually) but I do have some good things to say about it. I know I've got in heated arguments over the movies before, and they were all against the movie, but I do not hate the movie, and I do have good things to say about it. I don't think it's correct to categorize this into two groups, but I see what you mean.<P>I'll respond to this further tomorrow. And I would greatly appreciate it if no one would turn this (accidently or on purpose) into a feeble debate, as it would defeat teh purpose of Squatter's thread. Just think before you post; we all should be doing a lot more of this, myself included.

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 01:29 AM   #21
Bekah
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Several miles over the madness horizon and accelerating
Bekah has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Bekah
Sting

I commend your efforts, Squatter, and I thank you for opening the thread. I agree with a lot of what you say.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> but with subjects like these films, people like to get their feelings off the chest, and I think that's fine--I read, and get a sense of how many people thing this or that, then I go on. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>May I suggest that a thread be opened somewhere where people can do this, on the condition that they do not keep restating their views - especially if they are not willing to back them up with reasons - on other threads. At least, if they do not do it objectively, respecting other people's views.<P>As Willie was saying, there aren't, as Squatter claims, merely two camps. Yes, there are those. There are also others, such as the ones in the middle, and the ones who lean towards one side or the other, but not far enough to topple over. And there is the other camp - the one which is not really interested in the movie, but merely in the actors playing in it. And for the 'nothings-is-wrong-with-the-movies' camp, there are two groups of that - the one that has not read the books and the ones who have. Although, on second thoughts, there are not very many in this latter camp, as there are many who have one quibble or another with the movie, even if they approve the rest.<P>But anyway, this, although not Tolkien-related, is a good thread as it will encourage people to post intelligently on more LOTR-orientated subjects. I know I've not done so sometimes in the past and I'm sorry.<P>Good night all.<P>~ Elentari II<p>[ February 26, 2003: Message edited by: Bekah ]
Bekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 03:08 AM   #22
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think one of the reasons that the discussions are not as intelligent on the Movie forum than the other forms is that this is mostly made up of the fairly new posters (fangirl problems). People who have not been on the Barrow-Downs for very long, and are not used to the rules and bylaws of the forum. I bet most of the new people either go to Novices and Newcomers, Movies, or Middle Earth Mayhem first. I know I came to the Movie section first just because that was how I was introduced to Tolkien, and I tend to be able to have a larger part in the movie discussions than the ones in the Book section (I always feel kind of dumb in the book section, because the people who post there know a LOT! much more than me, but that is understandable).<BR>But I will remember, and whenever I post I will try to be on my best behavior
Old 02-23-2003, 07:36 AM   #23
Spectre of Decay

Sting

Hail and well met, Bekah. We didn't get off to an amazingly good start, you and I, but I did like your post.
Quote:
As Willie was saying, there aren't, as Squatter claims, merely two camps.
I didn't claim that. The words I used were "...people have been polarising into two camps." There are, of course, a number of gradations in between the two points of view.

Peace all, and thanks for supporting my own personal crusade.

Last edited by The Squatter of Amon Rûdh; 06-16-2004 at 04:51 AM.
Old 02-23-2003, 10:04 AM   #24
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

This will sound funny, But when I first posted about liking the movie, dispite its flaws, I picked the wrong thread. I picked one called "Bad PJ" (or something like that). I immediatly got flamed for "thread invasion" (my words here) , and I understand. It was suggested I go to one of the "I love the movie" threads and carry on, or start a new thread. Now....The reason I didn't do that (and this is a selfish, feeble reason, I admit, no excuse really ) is that most of those threads seem to be comprised of young "fangirl/boy" types (which is fine for them!) and I couldn't relate. That wasn't where I was coming from. (being an old lady!) I was just gravitating to the basic age group and style of writing that suited me. I thought people would be gracious enough to let me "horn in"! (This is so funny in retrospect!) I picked the wrong time, wrong place...ha ha ha! No biggie. And Lindl graciously apologized and explained his flame. My error was probaby just newbie"ism" on my part. (How can I be such a newbie with over 200 posts, amazing!) I like the movies, yet I understand the complaints, It is rough to be disapointed if the movies really let you down about a story that means so much to you. I think disapointment causes more anger than practically any other emotion! Well, whatever, that's my lame excuse! <p>[ February 23, 2003: Message edited by: Liriodendron ]
Old 02-23-2003, 12:31 PM   #25
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

I ain't kissing nobody! <P>I have to say sorry for my eccentric behavior, though I didn't think I was <I>that</I> bad. But, sometimes my memory can be a bit hazy...Anyway, I think Willie should say sorry! He was mean to me... <P> J.K
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 05:03 PM   #26
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I've given up comparing the book and film, they're too different in the end. I mean, you can compare (say) the characterisations, but a <I>book</I> and a <I>film?</I> It's like comparing...a doughnut to a bag of chips!<BR>(I don't know where that analogy came from)<P>I have to say i love both to bits- but in different ways for different things. presumably it's gonna be people who like books who prefer the book and vice-versa. <P>there is just one thing i HATE in the film and thats Faramir. They ruined a brilliant character! And a whole flipping storyline! And what was Denethor doing in Osgilliath ("Take them to my father") anyway?<BR>(sorry, but i have to rant \bout this ocassionally)
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Lyra Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 07:48 PM   #27
Lily Bracegirdle
Wight

Lily Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Chips are *obviously* better than donuts and anyone who doesn't think so is an {I.T.C.H.}! Now you all can flame me for my spelling of "donuts".<P>Actually, I've found a lot of really insightful and interesting discussion on this board and not so much random flaming, but I haven't been here very long (and missed out on the initial reactions to TTT).<P>I think everyone here checked this thread because we already believe (or can easily accept) that polite discussion is preferable to rant-fests, so I'm not sure we're reaching those who don't. Estelyn's advice is great -- thank you! I guess all we can do is treat each other with respect and avoid threads where people don't. That or ask them to tone it down, but I've never been good at that.<P>I also respectfully decline to kiss anyone -- after all, you don't know where I've been. <P>Politely,<BR>-Lily
Old 02-23-2003, 08:46 PM   #28
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

I have always been interested in (and invariably ended up contributing to) the threads concerning the relative merits of the films. This is probably because, when I first joined, I had just seen TTT for the first time and was trying to work out my own views about it.<P>I have to say that I have often been impressed with the standard of debate on these threads (from both "camps"), and have enjoyed reading the many differing views on these films. Some very good arguments have been made both for and against the films. Yes, there are the occasional insults hurled and weak arguments deployed, but I find that the best way to approach these is to either ignore them or seek to test their underlying merit.<P>Passionate argument is not a bad thing at all, for passionate beliefs can be expressed in the most thought-provoking terms. But, I do agree with the basic message of this thread that opinions should be expressed about the films themselves, not about those seeking to express their views about them, and that those involved in the debates should choose their words with care so as not to cause undue offence.<P>That said, I sincerely hope that the debates, and the passion associated with them, continue.
Old 02-23-2003, 11:01 PM   #29
Lush
Fair and Cold

Sting

Kissing is sometimes an integral part of debate. After Christopher Hitchens debates his opponent, he ends with a kiss on the cheek. To show that there are obviously no hard feelings. <P>Seriously, going back to Diamond's original example of the way these debates tend to degenerate, I think the key is keeping your wits about you and not getting personal (something that I myself shall attempt to do, of course).
Old 02-24-2003, 12:10 AM   #30
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

I do believe I've created a new cuss word. [ITCH], coming to a euphemism near you!<P> <P>I understood what Squatter was saying about the polarising, and what makes it rather unfortunate in my mind is, as Willie and other have mentioned after that, quite a few of us are not on an extreme end of things. However, it seems that when we get into the more passionate debates, we do "lose our wits" as Lush said, and perhaps forget about the other side of our own opinions. In other words, it might help us cool a bit if when we heat up, we stop to evaluate the other side of the particular debate in our mind.<P>If someone says something derogatory about the movie (or I shoud say, when ) and you start to burn because you liked the movie, stop to think about what parts you didn't like, and how it made you feel. So then perhaps you won't jump down their throat, because you know how some other movie changes pushed your buttons, too. And then you'll better understand where they're coming from.<P>And if someone defends the movie in a way that horrifies you or annoys you... Um... Think happy thoughts. Yes, like Squatter said, take a hiatus in Middle-earth Mayhem or something else that makes you laugh.<P><A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=21&t=000010" TARGET=_blank>Insert Shameless "Revenge of the Entish Bow" Promotion Here.</A><P>And above all, as has been said, don't get personal. This little Downer has done it before and it accomplishes <I>nothing</I>.
Old 02-24-2003, 12:45 AM   #31
Bill Ferny
Shade of Carn Dûm

Bill Ferny has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Passionate argument is not a bad thing at all, for passionate beliefs can be expressed in the most thought-provoking terms.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>PanMan (I swear to gawd!) cut it out! That was exactly, albeit wording a bit different, what I was going to post.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Kissing is sometimes an integral part of debate.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Why am I not surprised this was written by Lush?<P>There’s only one thing more annoying than unintelligent debate, irrelevant posts. So without further adieu I will make this post relevant.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Both groups are breaking all the rules of intelligent discussion: criticising people rather than their ideas, taking comments about the film personally and choosing their words apparently at random, with no thought to their possible interpretation.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Criticism of one’s ideas is extremely close to criticism of the person. Few things are more dear and revealing of the thinker than his ideas. Ideas, even more than the eyes, are a window into the soul and mind. Criticism, though, is not necessarily negative criticism, and more often than not it is the way the criticism is taken that makes it negative.<P>Which brings me to the second rule. Only if one takes criticism as an insult do we have a problem. I never try to criticize anyone’s ideas or opinions with the intention of insulting others, nor do I think that others criticize my ideas or opinions in order to insult me. How one takes and gives criticism is a sign of maturity. If you find yourself getting upset over someone’s criticism of your ideas, then maybe you need to check your maturity level.<P>That’s not to say that I haven’t indirectly insulted someone on this forum due to an opinion. One time in particular, my opinion, which admittedly is an insulting opinion to many people, was indeed taken as insult. Still, its an opinion, one that I think is correct, that was not aimed specifically at anyone in particular on this forum, and was valid given the subject of the thread. Those who did take it personally, I don’t apologize, but I do respect your right to disagree with me with every fiber of your being. I fully expect you tell me I’m wrong, but I also expect to hear reasons why you think I’m wrong. Who knows? You might change my mind.<P>I’ve been through ten years of higher education… believe me, I’ve been told that I was wrong so often that I’m amazed that I’m not the #1 flamed member on the forum. You guys are so much easier than my mates, profs, and students. That aside, being told you are wrong is a good thing. It gives you the chance to formulate and articulate your argument… and in doing so the chance to re-think your argument. Plenty of times in the re-thinking and re-researching I’ve discovered that I most certainly was wrong. On rarer occasions it forced me to harden and temper my position, making my argument more affective and convincing. The short of it is this… if you can’t take being told your wrong, don’t involve yourself in any debate.<P>Which brings me to the last rule. When one takes something as insult, the warrior instincts kick in, the flight or fight hormones rage from gland, to brain, to typing fingers. Not necessarily a bad thing unless it makes you a blabbering idiot who can’t do anything but repeat in caps lock what you’ve already said with a few choice words thrown in for good measure. From my observations of many threads in the movies section, this is exactly what is going on. The above advice is excellent, namely to type a response on Word, go away, come back and read… and then DELETE it, because it stinks! Now go back and re-research your points and the other’s counter-points, and honestly try to make your argument more affective.<P>I commend everyone here for your efforts, Squatter especially, to bring Tolkien discussion and debate to an honorable and chivalrous plane.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I think one of the reasons that the discussions are not as intelligent on the Movie forum than the other forms is that this is mostly made up of the fairly new posters (fangirl problems).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Maybe. However, I still reserve the right to engage in unintelligent debate if I so choose. I’m happy the forum moderators provide me with this freedom but at the same time keeping it reasonable. Part of the issue here is redundant posts and redundant threads which has already been discussed in the Barrow Downs section.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>…when I first posted about liking the movie, dispite its flaws, I picked the wrong thread. I picked one called "Bad PJ" (or something like that). I immediatly got flamed for "thread invasion" (my words here) , and I understand. It was suggested I go to one of the "I love the movie" threads and carry on, or start a new thread.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Maybe its just me, but the suggestion to move to a different thread to express an opinion at variance with the original post or the majority of posters on the thread would have induced me to stay and spar with inspired vigor and zeal as long as my posts remained on subject. I would do that for no other reason than to challenge a bunch of minds long overdue for some challenging.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I think disapointment causes more anger than practically any other emotion!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Well taught.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>…whenever I post I will try to be on my best behavior.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Good advice for everyone, I suppose. However, I urge everyone to bear with us human beings. We are prone to fall, and there are members (*cough*lush*cough*) who find it very hard to be on their best behavior due to their mischievous natures. Personally, I think the forum is better off for them.
Old 02-24-2003, 12:58 AM   #32
Lush
Fair and Cold

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Kissing is sometimes an integral part of debate.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Why am I not surprised this was written by Lush? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Lush just wants to make love, not war. Lush sees how professionals go about their debates, and Lush thinks we could learn something from them.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> However, I urge everyone to bear with us human beings. We are prone to fall, and there are members (*cough*lush*cough*) who find it very hard to be on their best behavior due to their mischievous natures. Personally, I think the forum is better off for them.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I'll be taking the above as a compliment on my flawed humanity. <P>Bill, if you fear all of us suddenly turning into a bunch of spectacular bores in our attempt to restrain our passions, rest assured that it's not likely to happen. Anyway, I think there is a clear difference between being passionate and plain rude. Some of us can achieve the former without succumbing to the latter, and others should at least try learning to do so.
Old 02-24-2003, 01:17 AM   #33
Bekah
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Thank you Squatter. I will take that as a compliment. Sorry for not rechecking your exact wording as it would have saved me contradicting something you never claimed. My apologies.<P>I'm going to retire into the shadows now. I'll emerge if I have anything to add, and quietly read these interesting posts meanwhile.<P>Lots of love to all.<P>~ Elentari II
Old 02-24-2003, 01:29 AM   #34
Bill Ferny
Shade of Carn Dûm

Bill Ferny has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Flawed? Please! Pristine, refreshing, honest, perfect in foible, wondrously alive, actually. Its praise well deserved, so don’t play modest.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Bill, if you fear all of us suddenly turning into a bunch of spectacular bores in our attempt to restrain our passions, rest assured that it's not likely to happen.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Gee, thanks for pointing out how long winded I am. Seeing how easily you paraphrased it, I should have just PMed you a draft before posting. However, I am happy that my fears won’t be realized.
Old 02-25-2003, 12:21 AM   #35
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

Well, after thinking this over, I really don't have that much too add. One thing though is about people comeing into threads geared in one direction and attempting to turn it in another, usually in the opposite direction. I am specifically talking about threads in the movie forum. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> think Willie should say sorry! He was mean to me... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Well,I won't apologize because you thought of me as mean to you because I wasn't trying to, you just took it the wrong way (or were you joking in your post). I'll only apologize for going into your thread (TTT movie lovers club or something). When I did that, I realized that it shouldn't be done. But Durelin, you did the same thing in the letter to PJ thread, so I think that you should apologize, which you just did (I think that's what you were apologizing for, am I right?). Posts that shift the direction of the discussion completely or ones that attempt to are useless, as they have nothing at all to add to the discussion and more importantly to the intended discussion of the thread-starter. If someone starts a thread to clearly discuss the cons of a movie, and someone comes in and just say's it rocks, then is that adding to the discussion? No. I have told people to leave threads because they are doing this. I am not sorry for doing that and I believe I have no reason to apologize for doing so. Actually the only thing that I am sorry for is the person who started the thread, since the argument in one or two threads got it closed. But, I do think that people should not come in and try to shift the discussion like I have said above. And if someone tells them to leave for that reason, then I think they should leave. They should apologize, but they don't have to. They could actually just leave or start their own thread. I don't think that starting a new thread is a bad idea, even if it is out of spite. Because it gives a place for those with contradicting views of that thread to go to. Anyways, I think that people should leave the thread when they don't have anything to add. Or better yet, they shouldn't even come in the first place if they know they are not helping at all.<P>Well, that's it I guess. Although it would be nice if what we were aiming for would happen, but I honestly believe that, sadly, it never will. It will probably get better but there's always someone that will keep this from happening, intentional or not.

-Willie
Old 02-25-2003, 10:25 PM   #36
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Posts that shift the direction of the discussion completely or ones that attempt to are useless, as they have nothing at all to add to the discussion and more importantly to the intended discussion of the thread-starter. If someone starts a thread to clearly discuss the cons of a movie, and someone comes in and just say's it rocks, then is that adding to the discussion? No. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>We've disagreed on this point before, Willie, but it's an interesting one. It seems to me that, if a thread is started which indicates a particular view, then those who disagree with that view should be entitled to post on that thread to explain why they disagree with it, provided that they do so politely and are not simply trying to "shout down" something with which they do not agree.<P>As one of those who is reasonably happy with the films, I would have no problem with someone posting on a thread praising them explaining why they do not like them. Indeed, provided reasons were given to back the opinion up, I would welcome it. <P>I may be wrong on this, but it would seem strange to me on a forum such as this if one were entitled only to post on those topics with which one agrees.
Old 02-26-2003, 12:26 AM   #37
Bekah
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

I think what Willie was saying - correct me if I'm wrong - is that posts that give an opinion but do not back it up are ruining the thread. Some sensible threads get closed because posters on that thread try to shout down the other views of people without giving any reasons for doing so.<P>Now I must go. My father seems to want the computer.<P>Love,<P>~ Elentari II
Old 02-26-2003, 02:44 AM   #38
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

1420!

Yeah, we did The Saucepan Man. I can see what you mean, and it is a very valid opinion, however, I just have a different opinion on threads. The thing is that it is not up to me or you. I think I've made myself clear enough on what I think and said all I need to say on that matter, and hopefully Estelyn or another admin or moderater will make the rulse more specific, even if it goes against what I think. That way, people like us won't get into big arguments over something like that. So I'll just leave it be and whatever happens, happens.<P>Bekah, yes, you're right, I was saying that, but I was also saying that people with very valid opinions that disagree with the discussion of the thread should not give their opinions in that thread since the thread is intended only to discuss a one-sided opinion of something. Here's a simple example (I hope): If there is a thread that is for discussing why people hate apples, then I am saying that no one should post an opinion (valid or not) on why they like apples. I just don't think it is right because it doesn't help the progress of the discussion. If you don't understand (or anyone else for that matter), then I'll explain it further.

-Willie
Old 02-26-2003, 06:59 AM   #39
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

If members do post their one opinion on more than one differing threads (as Willie is arguing this should not happen) then we are going to end up with a lot of similar threads.<P>Take three threads with the titles "Movie was awful!" "Movie was great!" and "Movie was good but I didn't like this bit.....". Clearly all of these threads are going to be pretty much exactly the same in content if every Downer goes around pasting their never-changing opinion wherever he/she can.<P>I've often been exasperated trying to share my opinion on the movie all over the Movies section. Then I realised that pretty much all I was accomplishing was upsetting other Downers. "Yeah Eomer, we know you liked the movie, would you please go away now!"<P>Anyway, for all the problems that the moderators have regulating the forums (the ones pointed out above, fangirls, etc.), it really is a fantastic site for discussion. Take the good (and there's a lot of it) with the bad.<p>[ February 26, 2003: Message edited by: Eomer of the Rohirrim ]
Old 02-26-2003, 01:09 PM   #40
Bekah
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Maybe if you opened your own thread, Eomer? For people with varied opinions.<P>I see what you mean, Willie. I agree with you, at least for some threads. For others, it actually helps to have different opinions. So I agree with you and I don't agree with you...<P>If you want me to expand I'll do it later. Time's up. I've got to go to school.<P>~ Elentari II