The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2011, 11:23 PM   #81
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
P.S. -- The Kindle edition of LotR is not lendable.
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:16 AM   #82
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I'd never loan my hard copy anyway!! My library has started doing E books I see... Somewhat illogically here while paper books are VAT free E-books get clobbered with an extra 20%.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:09 AM   #83
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Heh -- I guess the upside of loaning books Kindle style is that, like faithful hounds, they come back to you, rather than disappearing into your friends' libraries a la Hugo Bracegirdle.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:18 PM   #84
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Oh dear. I guess that means once a Kindle owner always a Kindle owner--no chance of taking the old files down to the second hand file shop and selling them.

There goes one avenue for revenue for poor students.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:04 AM   #85
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Well I would have been quids in as a student since just about all my primary texts - about 60 volumes a year - would have been free downloads since out of copyright (and about a third or them were in French and were consequently impoorted and expensive despite being cheap editions) and the only volume I parted with voluntarily (again a couple of loans proved "permanent" grrrrr) was "Look back in Anger " which I loathe with a passion and donated ot a luvvy acquaintance who was going to perform it... The rest are still occupying my shelves - though some maybe not for much longer! Ironically I have read a real book this week despite my new toy - yes it has a familiar feel but the print is tiny and as a promotional copy the production values are low. It was a harmless enough light read - I shall pass it to friend going on holiday soon and it will no doubt be left at the hotel for whomsoever. Not all books are things of beauty and a joy for ever and those that are are clumsy and cumbersome to actually read.

I love my slipcase first edition Children of Hurin. It is beautiful but I haven't actually read it all the way through because I feel I have to practially wear white cotton gloves.

Old 09-23-2011, 04:48 PM   #86
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Oh on a side note I tried out the experimental web browser trying to decide if it was good enough not to take the flaptop away with me... and it was spectacularly horrible trying to read the Downs (top priority of course) - not he size but he green and orange on black is not good in greyscale.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:33 PM   #87
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Yes, web-browsing is primitive and clunky to say the least. On the other hand, if you have the 3G version and don't have a smart phone, your Kindle can be a poor-man's smart phone in a pinch (say you need directions, or to find an address or a nearby restaurant in a strange place, or you really just can't wait to see if anyone replied to your latest post). Mine has come in handy that way on a few occasions.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:43 AM   #88
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I have got the 3g and I hope it will be a bit useful when I get teh hang of it it will be useful...the Downs appeared quite nicely until I tried to get a specifc page and infact the Kindle got a bit fixated and refused to show me anything else for a bit.. but the mid grey on black was too much like hard work for my aging eyes.... but I still love the Kindle and it was great for reading on the train especially.