The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2010, 07:52 PM   #41
Ibrîniðilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
Too bad, as he certainly has English humor down cold -- even if he was originally from Wisconsin.
And this is a bad thing? (Says she who was born and still lives in the aforementioned state. ) Living here, one develops some kind of a sense of humor as a defense mechanism, against the crazy politics and mosquitoes, if nothing else.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:34 PM   #42
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrîniðilpathânezel View Post
And this is a bad thing? (Says she who was born and still lives in the aforementioned state. ) Living here, one develops some kind of a sense of humor as a defense mechanism, against the crazy politics and mosquitoes, if nothing else.
I suppose it is rather fitting that the person with the most bizzare sense of humor in Britain's most famous oddball comedy troop (or would that be troupe?) would be from Wisconsin.

And I think Michigan shares Wisconsin's mosquitoes, Ibrin. They seem to be multitudinous this year. My daughter and I made an ill-fated hike into the woods last weekend, only to be turned back within a half-mile.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:21 AM   #43
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Personally, I think someone like Terry Gilliam would be a brilliant choice.
I agree emphatically that would be a brilliant choice and that he would be an extremely unlikely choice. Too bad.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:22 PM   #44
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Oh what the hell, I'll direct it.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:21 PM   #45
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordim Hedgethistle View Post
Oh what the hell, I'll direct it.
I trust you more than PJ.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:20 PM   #46
PrinceOfTheHalflings
Wight

PrinceOfTheHalflings is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Personally, I think someone like Terry Gilliam would be a brilliant choice. No one does fantasy (Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Brazil, The Fisher King, 12 Monkeys) or period comedy (The Holy Grail, Time Bandits, Jabberwocky) like him. And talk about creepy forests -- anyone who watched The Brothers Grimm will know what astounding work Gilliam could do with Mirkwood.

But, alas, I think Gilliam is far too much a free spirit to conform to a prewritten script or having PJ hover about him like a large New Zealandish bat. Too bad, as he certainly has English humor down cold -- even if he was originally from Wisconsin. But don't tell John Cleese, as I don't believe anyone has informed him.
Gilliam's not from Wisconsin, he's from Minnesota. However, I imagine that John Cleese believes that he's from Barcelona.
PrinceOfTheHalflings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:47 PM   #47
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
Minnesota was also the home of much of the mst3000 crew.
Quote:
In September 1988, Hodgson enlisted Twin Cities-area comedians Trace Beaulieu and Josh Weinstein, and producer Jim Mallon, to help him shoot a pilot for the show. The robots and the set, in their crudest format, were built overnight by Hodgson.
And Mike Nelson grew up in Wisconsin and was working in the
Twin Cities before joining mst3000.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:55 PM   #48
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Pffft...the only difference between Wisconsin and Minnesota is that one has more vowels than the other. Both have 9 letters total and both have a lot of cows. Seriously, there's cows everywhere. And they are devious. Even now they are plotting bovine domination.

*knock, knock*

Oh, just a moment, there's someone at the door.

MOOOOOOWAHAHAHA!

Arrrrrgggghhhh!
Old 06-14-2010, 11:45 PM   #49
Gothbogg the Ripper
Wight

Gothbogg the Ripper has just left Hobbiton.
This movie isn't going to happen, is it? They'll just keep coming up with excuse after excuse and it will languish in development Hell until being utterly forgotten.
For Gods sake, just do the movie or don't do it.
Don't keep toying with the fans like this.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:17 AM   #50
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
More rumor-mongering:

Deadline reported a few days ago that the director's job was still open and that WB and MGM were lobbying hard to get Jackson to return to the helm. No news there, but one interesting aspect of the story is the idea that so many gross points have already been contracted on the picture that it will be tough to put together a deal that will attract a top tier director.

The story also notes that David Dobkin (a few Harry Potter films), David Yates (Shanghai Knights, Wedding Crashers), and -- double-ugh -- Brett Ratner have been angling for the job.

Meanwhile, IGN is reporting that TORN has sources who say that Jackson protégé Neill Blomkamp already has the job.

Anyway, they all sound like pretty pale replacements for Del Toro.
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:46 PM   #51
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Well, it appears that PJ has decided to direct the films himself. Whether or not that is A Good Thing remains to be seen. I hope that Del Toro's input was helpful...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:55 PM   #52
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Haha, nice World Cup-themed mod on your avatar there, Esty.

Well, it seems it was almost inevitable that Jackson would take the reins after Del Toro's exit. Thanks for the update. Now it's hurry up and wait while MGM tries to get their financial mess sorted out...
Old 07-01-2010, 01:48 PM   #53
Azaelia of Willowbottom
Shade of Carn Dûm

Azaelia of Willowbottom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Azaelia of Willowbottom
Silmaril

*appears suddenly out of absolute nowhere*

Well, I can't say I'm terribly surprised by PJ's return, I guess. If nothing else, I suppose, all the LOTR movies will have a unity of vision, at least.

I was really looking forward to what Del Toro would do with Middle-earth, and I think I definitely trusted him more than PJ with the whole bridge film thing. What a shame. If only he hadn't had to sit in uncertainty over rights, perhaps things would have worked out. I hope he doesn't feel his time was wasted, and I do hope that PJ doesn't just disregard all the work GDT did do.

*sigh*
Old 07-01-2010, 03:32 PM   #54
Elerrina the Fair
Newly Deceased

Elerrina the Fair has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elerrina the Fair Send a message via Skype™ to Elerrina the Fair
Silmaril

Oh no! That's really quite suckish. I was looking forward to The Hobbit with all of my heart. Guess I will have to content myself with the book and my imagination. *sadness*
"The one had leaves of dark green that beneath were as shining silver, and from each of his countless flowers a dew of silver light was ever falling, and the earth beneath was dappled with the shadows of his fluttering leaves."
Elerrina the Fair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:47 AM   #55
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Be prepared for way over the top cgi of
especially Smaug, Beorn, and the Giant Spiders.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:51 PM   #56
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

So Del Toro, in a heart-wrenching decision for both himself and Tolkien fans, decides to drop out of The Hobbit.

Bummer.

But surely he must have had some completely awesome project calling to him, something that put him in that Sophie's choice position of having to pick between it and TH. Maybe that At the Mountains of Madness adaptation he's had waiting in the wings for years.

Oh goody -- he's announcing his new project at ComicCon!

And it's...

Huh? Say that again? A redo of Haunted Mansion? Say that again, I think there's something wrong with my internet because it looks like he jumped from The Hobbit to adapt a Disney theme park ride.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:10 PM   #57
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
That Del Toro would abandon The Hobbit to do that really is amazing. TH has a built-in fan base, and is nearly guaranteed to be a huge success, at least from a financial standpoint. I think it really must speak volumes about the dissatisfaction and frustration surrounding the project in general.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:18 PM   #58
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
*is disappointed*

Then again, I guess we shouldn't be surprised...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote