The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2011, 03:22 PM   #41
Shelob
Shade of Carn Dűm

Shelob has just left Hobbiton.
Having been accused of chronic honesty, I rarely find myself outright lying about what I have, or haven't, read.

I do, however, often fudge the truth by saying "I'm familiar with [book/movie/etc]". Most people don't call me out on it, everyone seems to assume (if they want me to have read the book) that I've read it or (if they'd rather that I've never sunk so low as to read such a thing) that I haven't. Very very useful.

Quote:
Even more interesting to brag about having read plausible made up books to lure the uninitiated to their doom...
Now THAT sounds like a fun game. I have considered making fake dust jackets for some of my books, and combing the two ideas could lead to all kinds of free entertainment (I commute via train a lot and, while I don't care so much about people knowing what I'm reading, when I don't like the cover art I don't want everyone else to see it).
Old 05-27-2011, 03:25 PM   #42
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar View Post
For example, I read "A Brief History of Time," some...ahhh...time ago, yet can't remember if it was about quarks and muons or the work of Briton Hadden and Henry Luce.
Then are you sure it was "A Brief History of Time" or "The TIME History of Briefs" -- the magazine's chronology of Playtex, BVDs and Fruit of the Loom?
Old 05-27-2011, 05:37 PM   #43
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelob View Post
Having been accused of chronic honesty, I rarely find myself outright lying about what I have, or haven't, read.
Don't remember ever trying to impress a lass with some book that I might have read...a bank statement might have been a better lure.

What would be even better than catching someone out about reading LotR would be to listen to two persons discussing the trilogy, and it being obvious that neither one had read it.