The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies > Sequence-by-Sequence
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2005, 09:38 AM   #1
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Odds and Ends

This thread is to work out the last few details before the project rolls.

alatar, I'm ready to post an announcement, but I'd like to be able to have a start date to put in it. Today is Friday. Is it too soon to start up Monday? Will we be doing a thread a week on Mondays, like CbC, or should we stagger a bit so that the two discussions aren't on the same schedule? New threads on Wednesdays or something? All are welcome to post thoughts on this.

Second, I think we should post the schedule of sequences that you laid out in the "scene-by-scene?" thread in a sticky thread. That way everyone will have an easy resource to see where we are and what's next on the viewing menu.

Any other thoughts, suggestions, or ideas?
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 10:41 AM   #2
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
do we also want to put in the sticky the 'rules' - ie

(for example)

- we can compare to the book

- no 'bashing' without reasoning behind it - ie don't just say 'that bit was useless' - explain why

- on the other hand, no 'lovey dovey' towards Jackson and the films - ie don't just say it's the best thing to happen since sliced bread, explain why you think this way

- don't just state the obvious - lilke 'but gandalf NEVER set off fire works before the party - tolkien categorically stated this!' - explain a reason behind why you don't actually like the change from the book - why it does or doesn't work on screen

- remember that these films are ADAPTATIONS of the book

sorry, just my 2 cents worth - don't know if you want to use any of these, Alatar
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 02:23 PM   #3
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

Quote:
sorry, just my 2 cents worth - don't know if you want to use any of these, Alatar
My two cents is what Essex said. Let's get explanations and reasonings not just..."this scene is stupid."
Old 10-14-2005, 02:28 PM   #4
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
This sounds pretty cool; I'm excited about doing it. I never got into CbC, because I was reading a rather long fantasy series at the time(The Wheel of Time). I don't really have the movies handy, but I think I've seen them too many times, so I'll be able to at least keep up until I can get to my movies. And Essex has a good point about rules.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:39 PM   #5
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
I expect that alatar and The Saucepan Man, as leaders of this project, will do everything they can to keep the discussions civil and thoughtful. alatar, as I take it, has been known to be critical of the films, while SPM has been one of their staunchest defenders, so I think we have a good balance there. I think the only rule we really need is to let the moderators do the moderating.

Oh, and have fun, that's rule number two.
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 05:54 PM   #6
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sorry, but thought that I covered many of the concerns in the 'Welcome!' thread, especially those of Essex. I'll remember to ask "why" a lot.

And unless others disagree, I think that the staggered start would be okay, allowing people to catch up and post after the weekend before the next thread starts. Plus it gives me a few more days with which to work .

Anyway, if this comng Wednesday is okay, I'll be ready to launch then.

And me "critical" of the films? Naah! I'm just a skeptic and a cynic, and mostly jealous that I wasn't cast in any of the leading roles ("What? You need acting experience and talent? But I've read the books a thousand times...doesn't that count for anything!?!").

Looking forward to the discussion.

And note, as related elsewhere, a long long time ago I wrote a LOTR movie script that was complete blasphemy, and so I see this work as part of my penance...
Old 10-19-2005, 09:24 AM   #7
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Not sure if we'll be getting a "Suggestions and Feedback" thread - do we need one? - but just note that I would appreciate any feedback, especially if there's something in which I could be doing better.

I've had my feelings surgically removed, so let me know what y'all really think.

Thanks. - alatar
Old 10-23-2005, 04:10 PM   #8
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Quote:
Not sure if we'll be getting a "Suggestions and Feedback" thread - do we need one?
Sounds like a good idea. I'll start one and make it Sticky.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:00 AM   #9
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

Not sure if this belongs here, but I just can't believe that via this forum (1) I've been found in agreement with The Saucepan Man in regards to the movies and (2) whereas I've actually been defending the movies, Essex has taken over my former role of pointing out the holes.

To have lived to see this!

I'm loving it. - alatar