The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-06-2008, 10:45 PM   #1
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Eye Gil-Galad's Grand European Adventure!

Hello my friends.

Five years.

It has been five years since my brother introduced me to the site. I just want to say that this place is the longest website i have ever been apart of, and i have the feeling that i have left a certain 'Gil-Galad Impression' on the site. i just want to say thanks for being a place that if i am ever in the mood for somewhere to get away all the idiocy's of todays world, here is one place.

Now gentleman(and gentleladies), down to business.

How do we kill Superman.

uh i mean.

Gil-Galad's Grand European Adventure!

As some of you may have known, i am at the age of 18, and soon to start my year at university by this fall. i have always wanted to travel, and i now have the means and times to bring that plan into reality. I shall be travelling with a friend in the summer and i have started this thread to update my travels and post my route of my journey's.

Phase I

My journey shall begin in London England, where i shall be staying at Portsmouth in a house with a fellow i work with. from there the plan is to go northward to scotland for a week. then back to Portsmouth, it shall be our homebase during the travels. from there over to the emerald isle for another week or two.

that is phase one of the plan. my original plan was to encompass france, italy, austria, germany, but i have been able to see the UK as possible.

Phase II

Myself being the restless spirit that i am, i would like to go to northern France next, visit Normandy and Paris and work my way to Belgium and Holland. i would like to go into northern Germany and even northwards to Denmark to visit/harass Rune.

Phase two is the rest of europe, which i would like to spend perhaps 3-4 weeks in this phase.

Phase III

This is the return home part. depending on how my budget is going, we may travel back to France and back to Portsmouth, then make our way back home. If not then i'm sure the airport at Copenhagen would be nice to visit.

The main purpose of this thread is too update my fellow downers on my location and hope to share the experience i am going to enjoy.

Being two students travelling, we will be under a budget and will probably be looking for all the hostels we can find. I am trying to avoid asking for this, but if you want to see the Gil-Galad in real life and is able to provide a room for the night or even a day of sight-seeing, then i will share my stories and will always be in your debt. heck, i'll throw in a free picture with me.

As of now, i am in the planning phase, i will post my updates here to help you guys (and myself) keep track of the plan and layout for where i am going.

thanks again,

the ever-lovable Gil-Galad

Last edited by Gil-Galad; 02-07-2008 at 12:11 PM.
Gil-Galad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:24 PM   #2
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Welcome to Helsinki Gil!

You'll find accomodation here for free and a host of 'downers to show you around and to spend time with (Spawn, Lommy, A Little Green, Volo, Aganzir and myself).
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:42 PM   #3
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Depending on the time of your travel and the answer of my parents I may be able to offer you food, shelter and most importantly good German beer!
I live in NW Germany some 60 km South of Dortmund and you can find the city quite easily.

So...just tell me if it suits you.

Btw, don't you know that you can't kill Superman?
He has his secret weapon!
Old 02-07-2008, 03:47 PM   #4
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

Elmo has just left Hobbiton.
Where about in Scotland? Stay away from Glasgow
Old 02-07-2008, 04:30 PM   #5
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
I see that you have not forgotten our talk. . .wow it must be over a year ago. . .I would be more than happy to show you around, but ofcourse it depends on how much time I have when you arrive.

oh and btw unless there is two places called "Portsmouth", I am afraid you wont be staying in London in your first stage.

http://images.google.dk/imgres?imgur...&ct=image&cd=3

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:31 PM   #6
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
The Isle of Wight sounds like a place you should visit.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:37 PM   #7
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might View Post
Depending on the time of your travel and the answer of my parents I may be able to offer you food, shelter and most importantly good German beer!
I live in NW Germany some 60 km South of Dortmund and you can find the city quite easily.

So...just tell me if it suits you.

Btw, don't you know that you can't kill Superman?
He has his secret weapon!

*laughs in spite of herself*

Well, if I were actually European I'd be happy to help out, but alas, I'm a boring American. Thus I definitely look forward to hearing yout stories.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:53 PM   #8
Gil-Galad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
I see that you have not forgotten our talk. . .wow it must be over a year ago. . .I would be more than happy to show you around, but ofcourse it depends on how much time I have when you arrive.

oh and btw unless there is two places called "Portsmouth", I am afraid you wont be staying in London in your first stage.

http://images.google.dk/imgres?imgur...&ct=image&cd=3
of course you google in danish...

well i know that, but i still want to travel the countryside more then the big city, portsmouth is a nice place to be anyways.

with my part in scotland, i will either go north enough, then hit a ferry into ireland, then do a circle route back to portsmouth.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:55 AM   #9
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

As you head north, I'd recommend swinging by Lancaster or at least Manchester. If so, your local Goomba will say hello. So bring a gun.

What time are you planning on going? You could always pass through Oxford if its near Oxonmoot time and greet some Downers then. It's an extra day long this year and so I'm sure if we put our minds to it, the Downers present could seek you out and kidnap you for our nefarious schemes... I mean, say hello.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:31 AM   #10
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

Then you will probably go through Glasgow then, if you end up staying there, don't go walking about on your own at night. Don't go into the east end at all. Most pubs are a no go. It's not stabbing capital of Britain for nothing.

But don't let me put you off.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:47 AM   #11
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
As you head north, I'd recommend swinging by Lancaster or at least Manchester. If so, your local Goomba will say hello. So bring a gun.

What time are you planning on going? You could always pass through Oxford if its near Oxonmoot time and greet some Downers then. It's an extra day long this year and so I'm sure if we put our minds to it, the Downers present could seek you out and kidnap you for our nefarious schemes... I mean, say hello.
I would recomend Lancaster over Manchester any day. . .Even though Lancaster is not very big, it is big enough to go out and have a good time and at them same time it is a very charming city.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:06 AM   #12
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
Where about in Scotland? Stay away from Glasgow
But Glasgow has Belle & Sebastian and Franz Ferdinand.

I suppose Edinburgh, though, has Eomer of the Rohirrim.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:08 AM   #13
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry View Post
But Glasgow has Belle & Sebastian and Franz Ferdinand.

I suppose Edinburgh, though, has Eomer of the Rohirrim.
He's Aberdonian like me, unless he goes to Edinburgh University like me aswell.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:54 AM   #14
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Edinburgh? Glasgow? There's only one city in Scotland that truly matters, and that is the fair Aberdeen. Perhaps it is out of Gil's way, but that would be a shame.

I am no longer there, however. Utrecht, or rather a certain Cailín of the Barrowdowns, has since claimed me.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:27 PM   #15
Gil-Galad

i shall be planning the route this weekend. and i will definately be by manchester in my travels northward. or southward...
Old 02-10-2008, 05:29 PM   #16
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
What about the isle of Wight? It is actually a really nice place. By the way I am just a boring Londoner, 1 of 7million+
Old 02-11-2008, 07:49 AM   #17
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
I would recomend Lancaster over Manchester any day. . .Even though Lancaster is not very big, it is big enough to go out and have a good time and at them same time it is a very charming city.
Site of the Pendle Witch Trials and many public hangings, and not far from Sunderland Point, one of Britain's weirdest places. Also not very far from the residence of one narfforc. I quite like Lancaster. We've been thinking about somewhere different to live and that could be quite decent. There's always Blackpool too for some seaside tack (and a free packet of salty biscuits from the ferry that got swept onto the beach a week or two ago)!

If you're travelling North towards Glasgow then you'd be on the west coast mainline (probably travelling in one of Richard Branson's red and grey cattle trucks, unfortunately) and I think that goes through Crewe, Manchester, Preston and Lancaster. Does it also go via Carlisle? That's a very nice place to visit.

Manchester is superb for shopping though - and if you stay there then there's loads to do at night.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:19 AM   #18
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
If you're travelling North towards Glasgow then you'd be on the west coast mainline (probably travelling in one of Richard Branson's red and grey cattle trucks, unfortunately) and I think that goes through Crewe, Manchester, Preston and Lancaster. Does it also go via Carlisle? That's a very nice place to visit.

Manchester is superb for shopping though - and if you stay there then there's loads to do at night.
It is funny, I have taken that train rout many times now, but I cannot remember if it is via Carlisle. Anyways Preston is also a very nice city to walk around in.

EDIT: Sorry I mixed up the cities. . . I was thinking of Chester when I wrote Preston

Old 02-11-2008, 10:19 PM   #19
Gil-Galad

Well i have put my trip on Hiatus.

I phoned my friend up, asking him to come over this weekend so that we could plan the trip. he tells me that he is meeting with a band he auditioned for and needs to see if he has any gigs this summer.

so unless i can find another friend to go with me, the trip is on hiatus.

he was going to be the downfall of this trip and i knew it too... yet he was only one that agreed at first... sigh...