The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-25-2008, 01:35 PM   #1
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I found this old article..

and because it predates t'internet (for me at least) and few Downers are likely to have been reading the Grauniad in '92, I thought others might be interested in this rare interview.

I only found it because I hope to be going to Warwickshire to visit friends and family next month and thought I might have a look at Sarehole and was trying to find out where it was relative to the family smials.

http://books.guardian.co.uk/departme...596112,00.html

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 02:44 PM   #2
BARAHIR
Newly Deceased

BARAHIR has just left Hobbiton.
Leaf The old mill site

Goodday,
Please do visit the site it is quite lovely, and do take in the surroundings. the old mill was built on the old Biddles mill site , however not many know that that old mill was built on Stooris mill site from back in 1221. A remarkable place I do remember it vividly. though it has been awhile, do take some photos and post them.

Barahir
BARAHIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 02:55 PM   #3
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Well at the moment I still use film (quaint I know), but I might be able to borrow a digital or learn to work a scanner....

Bob Blackham gave an interesting talk about Sarehole at Oxonmoot the other year. I don't know if any of the other Downers went to part 2 last year (it was unfortunately scheduled at the same time as another a talk I decided I wanted to hear more). It seems quite close to a few places I know I went to as a child - it is possible I went when I was too young to know or care about the significance. Certainly it seems to have had a huge impact on Tolkien and it is hard otbelieve that it was "out in the country" in his day.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:06 PM   #4
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I did go there when I was in Birmingham a couple of years ago and enjoyed seeing the mill! It's a Tolkien museum inside. Unfortunately I didn't have time to walk around the area to see the original "two towers" and the "countryside", which would have been a nice experience.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:22 PM   #5
BARAHIR
Newly Deceased

BARAHIR has just left Hobbiton.
Leaf The mill

Do not worry about being quaint, do as you will, do as you can, take some photos.
Some believe that the old mill of Stooris was not the first and that one existed there before that but was destroyed by the Saxons.

Barahir
BARAHIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 12:03 PM   #6
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Mithalwen, if you're planning a trip round Sarehole and that area I'd recommend getting that Bob Blackham book, Roots of Middle-earth:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roots-Tolkie...1370360&sr=8-3

I thought you went to something else instead of his talk at Oxonmoot 2006? Or did you? I think that was before you identified yourself! But he really knows his stuff doesn't he? I'd recommend this to everyone. He's a Brummie, a local historian and a member of the TS. It's a fab book and not only is it enjoyable and gives you a thirst to see Sarehole and the other places Tolkien knew, but it's also a decent guide.

And it's only £10.99
Old 01-26-2008, 12:43 PM   #7
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Ahem

I am not Schroedinger's cat, Lal - my being is not dependent on your being aware of it... I was at the back. I think you were a few rows directly in front.

http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showpos...4&postcount=74

Being a cheap skate I bought his £2 photostat version ..having been lured by the lovely but pricey Artist and Illustrator.... and absolutely having to buy the letters which I have coveted for years but never got around to ordering...

Old 01-27-2008, 07:11 AM   #8
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
I am not Schroedinger's cat, Lal my being is not dependent on your being aware of it... I was at the back. I think you were a few rows directly in front.

http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showpos...4&postcount=74

Being a cheap skate I bought his £2 photostat version having been lured by the lovely but pricey Artist and Illustrator.... and absolutely having to buy the letters which I have coveted for years but never got around to ordering...
Oh don't mind me and my ramblings, I thought I was going mental for a bit there!

My memories of what happened when and so on have got all mixed up!
Old 01-28-2008, 01:30 PM   #9
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
Oh don't mind me and my ramblings, I thought I was going mental for a bit there!

My memories of what happened when and so on have got all mixed up!
Well I am sure parts of my memory self destructed as an act of compassion after being exposed the singing of a certain person.... on the same theme - the woman who droned about 50 of her "sub-vogon" poems - as a more charitable member of the audience described it, did a review of Oxonmoot on the TS website. Fortunately the Sound of Mumaks saved the day.

BTW did I tell you I spent the Ents with Len Sanford and family?