The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2006, 03:54 PM   #401
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
++TAR-A

To save Eomer.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:57 PM   #402
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Hmm, a couple of minutes left. Should I continue to entertain? I am rather in the mood...
Old 02-27-2006, 03:59 PM   #403
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

But what elaborate ruses I have left you all with!
Old 02-27-2006, 04:00 PM   #404
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim
But what elaborate ruses I have left you all with!
What???
Old 02-27-2006, 04:01 PM   #405
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

I guess the truth will come out shortly...
Old 02-27-2006, 04:01 PM   #406
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Shield

I want you all to know I enjoyed every minute of it.

My friends, we will win.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:02 PM   #407
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

Celuien, it appears you've been duped, at least that's what I make of Eomer's fun at the end.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:02 PM   #408
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88
Celuien, it appears you've been duped, at least that's what I make of Eomer's fun at the end.

It would appear so. But at least there's tomorrow.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:06 PM   #409
Shelob
Shade of Carn Dûm

Shelob has just left Hobbiton.
For he's inclined as is the ravenous wolf.

(Once again the village is approaching the close of another day of bickering and arguing about who killed who, finally though they come to a conclusion.)

Farael: We’ve found a wolf, may we burn him?
Mormegil: We’re not killing Aiwendil…not today anyway.
Boromir88: And we’re not going to burn anyone, that can get messy.
Eomer: As compared to just lynching them, here’s an idea why don’t we crush them under a pile of rocks, then they’ve got a ready-made cairn to mark their grave, I volunteer we give it a trial run on Tar.
Aiwendil: I’m not sure we need to go that far…
Nilp: Besides, only a fool would think you were innocent now, Eomer
Formendacil: Interesting choice of words that. As it happens, the Fool did find him innocent.
Celuien: Which still doesn’t help us.
Kath: But it still seems a little too perfect doesn’t it?
Saucepan Man: But an Eomer-wolf would try to make us think that.
Eomer: Or would I?

(Thunder crashes [sorry, couldn’t help it]. The villagers are decided, the Eomer-puzzle needs to be solved now rather than causing more problems later on. They gather round him, and begin to lead him towards the gallows.)

Eomer: (unreasonably with a note of laughter) Do you really think I am a wolf?
Nilp: Ay, that you are.
Eomer: (same, and so on for the rest) And what is a wolf?
Mormegil: Why, one that swears and lies.
Eomer: And be all traitors that do so?
Saucepan Man: Every one that does so is a traitor, and must be hanged.
Eomer: Who must hang them?
Boromir: The honest men. Why?
Eomer: Then the wolves are fools, for there are liars and swearers enow to beat the honest men and hang up them.

(Eomer, during that last line, begins to change. His hair grows longer as does his face. He teeth become long and pointed while his nails sharpen into claws. The villagers, startled by his transformation back off rapidly and chaotically until a mostly Transformed Eomer begins to approach the largest group of startled villagers. Suddenly…)

Fomendacil: Hey, Eomer, Catch!

(Eomer turns, but not fast enough. The silver dagger Formendacil threw catches him in the small of the back. After a few minutes of writhing and unholy shrieking the Lycan terror was no more)

Glirdan: That was fortunate.
Form: Best five gold coins I ever spent, given the circumstances.

(The villagers go their separate ways and return home, saddened but hopeful. With only two wolves now perhaps they’ll stand a better chance on the following days.)

-----
Living:
Saucepan Man
Farael
Mormegil
Aiwendil
Glirdan
Formendacil
Nilpaurion Felagund
Kath
Celuien
Tar-Ancalime
Boromir88

Dead:
Shelob (Mod)--Killed by wolves on NIGHT 1
Abercrombie (Mod)--Killed while Yeti-Spotting on NIGHT 1
Gil-Galad (Ordinary)--Lynched at the close of DAY 1
Holbytlass (True Seer)--Gloucester-ized and welled on NIGHT 2
Lhunardawen (Ordinary)--Drown’d a muddy death upon DAY 2
Anguirel (Ordinary)--Killed quite safely during NIGHT 3
Littlemanpoet (Ordinary)--Vanished during DAY 3
Garin (Ordinary)--Lynched at the end of an eventful DAY 3
Dancing Spawn of Ungoliant (Ordinary)--Thus was the shepherd beaten from their side during NIGHT 4
Eomer of the Rohirrim (Werewolf)--Died without a friend, but plenty of fiends DAY 4.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:25 PM   #410
Shelob
Shade of Carn Dûm

Shelob has just left Hobbiton.
Before the Magistrate for trial did come..

(After another rainy night the villagers gather in the square. As expected they are short another member, however the realization of this fact takes somewhat longer than usual as the vast majority of their attention is taken up by trying to figure out the purpose behind the large pile of rocks which has overnight appeared)

Celuien: I wonder what those are for, I’ll guess the wolves put them there but why?
Glirdan: Perhaps they were hoping to go to a stoning?
Saucepan Man: Somehow that seems unlikely.
Formendacil: Well they must be there for a reason.
Kath: Form! You survived?
Formendacil: I’m as surprised as you, personally.
Farael: Well if the wolves didn’t kill you, who did they kill? Or were they foiled by someone?

(The villagers look around, a process which results in two important things. Firstly they realize that their magistrate, Boromir88, has not yet joined them. Secondly, that if the white and rather note-like piece of paper being held in place by the top stone of the pile is any indication, that he won’t be joining them.)

Aiwendil: Oh dear, this can’t be promising.
Mormegil: (who has grabbed the note. reading) “Great stones we lay upon his chest until he plead…”(trailing off as he reads the rest silently to himself)
Tar: Well, how did he die? Mormegil, Morm!

Mormegil: (startled from his reading) Sorry, I’m surprised they didn’t go find a printer for this, it’s all but as long as most books I’ve seen. To abridge it though, they say he gave them but two words. “More weight” he said and died.

Glirdan: (having looked further at the rock the note was under) Umm…the wolves must have run out of paper then, there’s something else carved on this rock.
Kath: And what does that say?
Glirdan: (reading) “We have murdered the ranger, therefore the ranger shall protect no more, Eaumor is safe neaumor.”
Nilp: That sounds familiar, wasn’t the note they left with Shelob a lot like that?
Farael: It was, apparently their beginning to run out of ideas.
Glirdan: At least their sense of humour hasn’t changed, “Neaumor”…how is that funny?

(But he’ll never know, for the villagers, ignoring Glirdan’s question, begin another DAY of trying to find the wolves.)

-----
Living:
Saucepan Man
Farael
Mormegil
Aiwendil
Glirdan
Formendacil
Nilpaurion Felagund
Kath
Celuien
Tar-Ancalime

Dead:
Shelob (Mod)--Killed by wolves on NIGHT 1
Abercrombie (Mod)--Killed while Yeti-Spotting on NIGHT 1
Gil-Galad (Ordinary)--Lynched at the close of DAY 1
Holbytlass (True Seer)--Gloucester-ized and welled on NIGHT 2
Lhunardawen (Ordinary)--Drown’d a muddy death upon DAY 2
Anguirel (Ordinary)--Killed quite safely during NIGHT 3
Littlemanpoet (Ordinary)--Vanished during DAY 3
Garin (Ordinary)--Lynched at the end of an eventful DAY 3
Dancing Spawn of Ungoliant (Ordinary)--Thus was the shepherd beaten from their side during NIGHT 4
Eomer of the Rohirrim (Werewolf)--Died without a friend, but plenty of fiends DAY 4.
Boromir88 (Ranger)--Like Corey, burried under the contents of a Quarry during NIGHT 5

DAY 5 begins, and I'm a little later than I hoped but I had to go find my copy of The Crucible...forgive me.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:31 PM   #411
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Aiwendil, I don't have time to post the votings but it appears as though over the past two days your votes have been an attempt to save Eomer. Care to explain?
Old 02-28-2006, 04:36 PM   #412
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Well, it's looking rather dismal for those Kuruharans who are waiting for back-to-back Village Victories. Two Gifteds down on the Innocent Side, leaving a Hunter, a Fool, and Six Little Innocents opposing Two Werewolves- who have thus far done extremely well.

Well, yesterday there was a lot of mention of Tar-Ancalime and Farael being Eomer's accomplices. Do the proponents of that theory have more to add, now that Eomer has been definitively labelled a wolf?
Old 02-28-2006, 05:26 PM   #413
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I did some reviewing of Aiwendil, the last few post of yesterday didn't sit right with me.

On DAY 3 he voted 12th for Garin thus equalizing the number of votes that Garin and Eomer had at 2. Nobody else had above 1. Also Eomer still hadn't voted. That's fairly suspicious but then DAY 4 Aiwendil is 7th for tar-a which was her 3rd vote, again this tied up the vote for Eomer. It also came right after Kath and Eomer. It appears that Aiwendil tried to disguise his vote and save Eomer. If tar-a isn't a wolf, which I'm not sure of I think Aiwendil might be. Regardless I think he's worth looking at.

One thing is that I believe we should focus heavily on those who didn't vote for Eomer. Specifically:

Tar-a
Kath
Aiwnedil
Celuien
Glirdan
(no vote)

Those who did vote for Eomer are generally believe to be innocent

Formendacil (innocent)
Mormegil (innocent)[/B]SpM--3rd vote putting Eomer clearly in the lead
Nilp--started voting for Eomer.

Now out of those Nilp and SpM aren't fully innocent in my mind but I tend to believe in their innocence currently.

Formendacil, how much will you be able to be around toDAY? I think you are a key piece in our chance for victory. You can help be a voice of reason and trust.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:09 PM   #414
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Aiwendil, I don't have time to post the votings but it appears as though over the past two days your votes have been an attempt to save Eomer. Care to explain?
I've given all the reasoning behind my votes. To recapitulate:

DAY 3: I didn't suspect Eomer at this point. My suspects were LMP and Garin. LMP disappeared; I voted for Garin.

DAY 4: I thought (as I still do) that both Eomer and Tar-ancalime were probably wolves. I wanted to lynch one of them - either one. So, which to vote for? Personally, I saw more evidence against Tar than I did against Eomer. So I voted for Tar.

I said yesterDAY that I thought it likely the wolvish trio could be Eomer, Tar, and Farael. I also said yesterDAY that if Eomer turned out to be a wolf, then I'd wager Tar is as well. So - I'll wager Tar is a wolf.

Farael remains my other top suspect. I'd still like to hear more from him on subjects other than me.

I must run. I'll be back soon, I hope, with further thoughts.

Oh, and I think Mormegil is quite right here:
Quote:
Formendacil, how much will you be able to be around toDAY? I think you are a key piece in our chance for victory. You can help be a voice of reason and trust.
It would probably be good if Form could hang around as much as possible toDAY.

Last edited by Aiwendil; 02-28-2006 at 06:10 PM. Reason: fixing tags
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 06:34 PM   #415
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil
Well, it's looking rather dismal for those Kuruharans who are waiting for back-to-back Village Victories.
Well, I wouldn't be too downhearted. The Wolf:villager ratio will favour us for a few days yet and, cold though it may seem, our chances of finding the remaining Wolves increase as the village population dwindles.

Yesterday's voting record is as follows:

1. Nilpaurion for Eomer (Eomer-1)
2. Tar-ancalime for Boromir88 (Eomer-1; Boromir88-1)
3. Mormegil for Eomer (Eomer-2; Boromir88-1)
4. The Saucepan Man for Eomer of the Rohirrim (Eomer-3; Boromir88-1)
5. Kath for tar-ancalime (Eomer-3; Boromir88-1, tar-ancalime-1)
6. Eomer of the Rohirrim for tar-ancalime (Eomer-3; Boromir88-1, tar-ancalime-2)
7. Aiwendil for tar-ancalime (Eomer-3; Boromir88-1, tar-ancalime-3)
8. Boromir88 for Eomer (Eomer-4; Boromir88-1, tar-ancalime-3)
9. Formendacil for Eomer (Eomer-5; Boromir88-1, tar-ancalime-3)
10. Celuien for tar-ancalime (Eomer-5; Boromir88-1, tar-ancalime-4)

Did not vote: Farael, Glirdan

How useful yesterday's votes are depends, to a degree, on whether tar-ancalime is a Wolf since, if she is, then, depending when (and if) he or she voted, the remaining Wolf may have had little to choose between the two main candidates for lynching. I still believe it quite possible that tar is a Wolf, but I am by no means certain of it. Her vote does look bad but it may well be that the Wolves killed Boro (and so struck lucky again) to make it look that way. And Eomer's plea to Celuien to vote for tar, following his false declaration as the Ranger, speaks in favour of both tar and Celuien.

Nilp and mormegil look pretty good to me for their early votes for Eomer. I am not discounting the possibility of a Wolf-on-Wolf vote there, but it looks unnecessarily risky to me.

I think that we can firmly conclude now that Formendacil is indeed an innocent Fool. I agree that a solid contribution from him today would be most welcome.

It is difficult to draw much of a conclusion from the votes of Aiwendil and Kath without knowing whether tar is a Wolf. Aiwendil did say earlier in the day that he was more inclined to view Eomer as innocent than tar and I wonder whether a Wolf would have been so bold as to speak up for a fellow Wolf in such a precarious position as Eomer was. Kath's quietness continues to concern me. I'm sorry Kath, but you are giving us so little to go on, it is natural to suspect you. And, when I looked back over the past few days, I noticed that you have been around some of the time without actually saying very much.

Farael is still making me very nervous. He started off yesterday rather ambiguous about Eomer, having first noted that spawn's death made him look almost too suspicious. Later, he made a great play of saying that Eomer was his true suspect, but only after Eomer had already received three votes. He then failed to turn up to vote. I know that he has explained on the village notice board why he didn't vote but I still don't like it, as we have no way of knowing for sure which way he would have voted, had he been here.

As for Glirdan, well I know that he has good reason for his absence, But, again, it means that there is very little by which we can judge him.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:53 PM   #416
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Boots

For what it's worth, morm, there is a similar pattern in Kath's votes on Days 3 and 4. On Day 3, she put Garin one vote ahead of Eomer. And on Day 4, she was the first to vote for tar, when Eomer was on three votes and with (potentially) seven votes to come.

And you left Farael out of your list of non-Eomer voters.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:22 PM   #417
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
For what it's worth, morm, there is a similar pattern in Kath's votes on Days 3 and 4. On Day 3, she put Garin one vote ahead of Eomer. And on Day 4, she was the first to vote for tar, when Eomer was on three votes and with (potentially) seven votes to come.

And you left Farael out of your list of non-Eomer voters.
Oops, I was in haste and must have forgotten.

I would like to try a detailed analysis of all non-Eomer voters. I truly believe that all our wolves will be in that group. Also I believe that one by one they (the wolves) will kill the Eomer voters.

Where is everybody? It's too quiet for me.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:51 PM   #418
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
The Saucepan Man wrote:
Quote:
And Eomer's plea to Celuien to vote for tar, following his false declaration as the Ranger, speaks in favour of both tar and Celuien.
You know, this is a good point. It doesn't seem particularly likely that Eomer would try to save himself by getting another wolf lynched. If Tar were a wolf, why would Eomer even bother with the whole Ranger impersonation?

Of course, it could be an elaborate ruse designed to get us to think exactly that. But somehow it doesn't strike me that way. If Eomer intended to try to divert out suspicion from Tar, why would he wait until the last minute like that?

This makes me think that I may have been wrong about Tar. Looks like I have some re-considering to do.

Mormegil wrote:
Quote:
I would like to try a detailed analysis of all non-Eomer voters. I truly believe that all our wolves will be in that group.
This makes sense to me, and I agree that detailed analyses are probably in order.

And now for the rather wild, far-fetched theory that's occurred to me: Suppose the wolves decided to sacrifice Eomer. Suppose they killed Spawn for this reason. Suppose one or more wolves then comes out with an all-out attack on Eomer and even votes for him.

Likely? Maybe not. Beyond the realm of possibility? Certainly not. But it is enough to prevent me from dropping all suspicion of the Eomer voters. Formendacil is a proven innocent. But in my opinion, it's still possible that Nilpaurion, Saucepan, or Mormegil could be a wolf.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:18 PM   #419
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiwendil
And now for the rather wild, far-fetched theory that's occurred to me: Suppose the wolves decided to sacrifice Eomer. Suppose they killed Spawn for this reason. Suppose one or more wolves then comes out with an all-out attack on Eomer and even votes for him.

Likely? Maybe not. Beyond the realm of possibility? Certainly not. But it is enough to prevent me from dropping all suspicion of the Eomer voters. Formendacil is a proven innocent. But in my opinion, it's still possible that Nilpaurion, Saucepan, or Mormegil could be a wolf.
I agree and that is why I haven't written off SpM and Nilp. However for the time being I will keep them off because I know that I am innocent and think it's not likely that they pulled this ruse. I believe that Eomer believed that he could pull it off and almost he did. I must toot my own horn here. I was the only one, I feel, that kept suspicion on him.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:31 PM   #420
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
I'm just coming in to say hi and bye. I've been called off out of town again for a major competition and will not be back for three days. I'm sorry I could not be of more help to you all. I will try and be post up to my usual standards this weekend. Forgive me!!!
Old 02-28-2006, 08:59 PM   #421
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
As I said in the notice board, it was an accident I did not vote. (I'm sorry friends and fiends but I meant to come back close to the deadline yet I got confused with my last WW game and missed it)

In one of my posts I said I meant to vote for Eomer but that I would not do so if a bandwagon was forming, just to avoid giving more 'room' for the wolves to hide in. I reckon that barring a majour breackthrough I will be lynched sooner or later and I want to avoid you guys wasting time looking at me. This will most likely all make me look even more suspicious, but maybe after I'm dead it will help. Or maybe I'll survive.

Now, while Aiwendil (again) sounds reasonable when he says others looked more suspicious than Eomer and thus he voted for others, what about his weak defense of the wolf?

Quote:
But the thing that really has me leaning toward Eomer's innocence is actually the same thing that caused Spawn to suspect him. We all know that Eomer would be a bold wolf - so bold that there's a real possibility that he would, indeed, have killed Spawn. But if he's such a bold wolf, why would he more or less "play it safe" in terms of accusations? It strikes me that if Eomer were a wolf, he wouldn't be afraid to take a risk and accuse someone. His "playing it safe" - i.e., perhaps, playing it rationally - looks more like something he'd do if innocent.
Now, I might just be reading too much into his post again, but this time I'm being totally serious with my accusation. Aiwendil thinks that an innocent will look very rational and careful in his accusations, as Eomer was acting. Even if the wolves did not agree to do so, Aiwendil thinks that it's the way an innocent will act. Now we will all agree that he has been very careful and 'rational'... now, I ask if anyone's great grand father has played with Aiwendil's great grand father... does he always play this way or is he playing the way he thinks we'd expect an innocent to act?

Post 372: thinks that if Eomer is a wolf, so will Tar... therefore voting for either of them will not make a difference (so far so good, that's somewhat consistent with what he said before). He offers that if either of them are wolves then we should lynch the other today. He then says that Morm might be the other wolf. And thus, he says that if we don't lynch Eomer and Tar in quick succession, we should go after Morm. Yet (and this is where I cringe) he closes his post saying that maybe the wolves area Eomer, Tar and me.

Now, maybe I just got to him and he wants me dead but.... he mentioned nothing about me in the whole post, he talked about Morm instead!! And yet, he does not mention him for his 'triumvirate of wolves"

Now, let's see...

Living:
Saucepan Man
Farael
Mormegil
Aiwendil
Glirdan
Formendacil
Nilpaurion Felagund
Kath
Celuien
Tar-Ancalime

Let's take out myself because I know I'm innocent along the other two that Eomer accused yesterDay as he knew he was going to die and was probably going against the easier targets hoping for a lucky break. I've been under a bit of heat lately and both Celuien and Nilp have been pretty absent, which is never a good thing for an innocent villager to be. We also take out Formen, for obvious reasons. I'm willing to let Morm and SPM off the hook for now, given that they gave Eomer his second and third votes early on the day, which put him up front as the most likely lynchee. Glirdan has been having RL issues and I believe him. If he had an important role, I would like to venture that he'd be here more often. Eomer voted for Tar-Ancalime and it seemed he might have gotten away with it. Iit does not sound like a wolf trying to save a friend by making him look innocent, but rather a wolf trying to save his furry skin, so I will get Tar-a out of the equation. FInally, Kath and Aiwendil voted for Tar before Celuien got tricked into doing so, therefore we get

Aiwendil
Kath

Now, they are not the 'ideal' suspects.... Aiwendil has managed to look mostly innocent, perhaps even because of my attacks and Kath has been a non-factor... while I'd be willing to sympathise with Kath, I remember a story my Grandma told me about a wolf called Malkatoj who used that tactic to put a blindfold over the village's eyes. And it worked.

I say we rid ourselves of Aiwendil first, at least then I won't be a distraction anymore, both because I will no longer have him to go after, and also because I will most likely be lynched the day after if he turns out to be innocent =P

But seriously, those two either explain why they were playing into Eomer's hand or I say we use the rocks on them!

Edit: Cross-posted with many people.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:00 PM   #422
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mormegil
Where is everybody? It's too quiet for me.
I am still here as my dignitarial duties (ie work) may keep me from being here tomorrow as much as I would like.

Quote:
Of course, it could be an elaborate ruse designed to get us to think exactly that. But somehow it doesn't strike me that way. If Eomer intended to try to divert out suspicion from Tar, why would he wait until the last minute like that?
I have been doing some further thinking about that interplay between Celuien and Eomer at the sharp end of yesterday. It may well have been genuine on both their parts (although genuine is perhaps not the right word for Eomer's part in it). But an Eomer-Wolf is a tricksy beast, so it's quite possible that there is more to it than that. One possibility is that they were both play acting, in an effort to establish the seeming innocence of a Wolfish Celuien. However, that would have required a degree of co-ordination on both their parts which I think would probably have been difficult for them to achieve at that time. The other possibility is the one that you have suggested, Aiwendil. That Eomer, concluding that his number was most likely up, acted the way that he did to disassociate himself from a Wolfish tar-ancalime, with the aim of giving her a better chance of surviving today. Possibly, he waited until the last minute because he thought that the votes could save him yet, without need to resort to such a desperate ploy. Or perhaps I am just reading too much into it.

Quote:
But in my opinion, it's still possible that Nilpaurion, Saucepan, or Mormegil could be a wolf.
I am not a Wolf. Of course, I don't expect you to take my word for it, so you will have to make up your own mind. It's possible that either Nilp or morm (or possibly both) are, and that they decided to sacrifice Eomer. But I think it unlikely that they would have voted for him so early, without seeing if there was a chance he might be spared the noose. And morm makes a fair point. It was him who really kept the spotlight on Eomer. If morm is a Wolf, it would have to have been a wholly premeditated sacrifice. Still, I wouldn't put it past him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mormegil
I would like to try a detailed analysis of all non-Eomer voters.
Well, for my part, I thought it worth taking a closer look at Farael's contributions yesterday.

He was the first to arrive, following the discovery of spawn's body, and immediately raised the question of whether it might be a set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farael @ #331
Hmm, this death makes Eomer look pretty bad... almost too bad to be real, don'tcha think?
I am sure that the point will have occured to most if not all of us, but that seems a pretty strong way of putting it.

After suspicions of Eomer are voiced by most of those present and morm questions whether he is prepared to write off Eomer as innocent, he replies:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farael @ #342
No, I think it's either a very bold move or a very smart one.
Which looks to me rather like he is trying to hedge his bets. He then attempts to tie Eomer in with his long-standing case against Aiwendil, although I don't really follow what he is trying to say here. Immediately after that (#343), he defends his plan to lynch littlemanpoet by essentially saying that, had lmp been a Wolf, it would strongly have implicated Aiwendil but that, lmp's innocence notwithstanding, he still suspected Aiwendil. He says much the same thing in #347. I really don't get the reasoning behind this at all.

In #352, he claims that he has been voicing suspicions of Eomer, although it looks to me more like he was trying to play it safe and see how the village's opinion of Eomer developed. Not surprisingly, he seizes upon Aiwendil's thoughts on Eomer as a further basis upon which to accuse Aiwendil. Aiwendil had wondered whether a Wolfish Eomer bold enough to have killed spawn would have played it so safe in terms of accusation. Although we now know that Eomer is a Wolf, that seemed to me a reasonable point at the time. Farael makes the point that it is in the nature of a Wolf to be appear one way yet act another. Again, a reasonable point, although I hardly think that Aiwendil's comments implicate him to quite the degree that Farael makes out. Still, Farael has been single-minded in his pursuit of Aiwendil since Day 1.

But what I find most interesting is his post #382. By this stage, Eomer was on three votes and Boro on one. He starts off by saying that he doesn't want to join the Eomer bandwaggon. Then he says (quite bizarrely, in my view) that he is not nearly so suspicious of Aiwendil as he has made out and goes on to explain further his reasoning behind the lmp/Aiwendil thing. I still don't understand it. But it is what he says next that I find most curious:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farael @ #382
Now, I still think Eomer is set between a rock and a hard place... I want to announce to 'the public' that I mean to vote for him. If I vote for anyone else (likely Aiwendil for concistency's sake) it's just because Eomer is already convicted and I want to get fewer names for the wolves to hide on. Of course you could think I am a wolf bailing out on what could be see as bandwaggoning... well, if you think so then lynch me and remember my words above after that.

Now that we have that cleared up, I'd say that right now my true suspect is Eomer (sorry buddy, but you really are in bad shape right now and while you could think that it's what the wolves want us to think, I fear that we might be over-analysing things).
So, now that Eomer is looking a prime candidate for lynching, Farael names him as his "true suspect". He signals that he is going to vote for Eomer, but says that he might vote for someone else if Eomer is already condemned "to get fewer names for the Wolves to hide on". I don't get that at all. If Eomer was already condemned, then a vote for another villager would surely only help the other Wolves to hide. It looks to me like Farael was trying to make himself look good in case Eomer was lynched and found to be a Wolf, yet at the same time preemptively giving himself some cover in case he decided that his vote might look better if it was placed elsewhere. If Eomer was your "true suspect", Farael, why didn't you vote for him here? Instead, you failed to turn up to vote at all. I accept your reason for that, but it doesn't explain why you did not vote earlier. Did you in fact think that your vote might be needed to save Eomer?

As far as I can see, the only thing that speaks in Farael's favour is that Eomer attacked him on a number of occasions, most notably on Day 2 (#178), but also subsequently I think. However, Farael has so far never been under serious suspicion and has received only one vote to date (a "random" vote from Nilp on Day 1). So it is quite possible that these were "safe" accusations by Eomer, designed to put some distance between them in the event that one of them was lynched.

Would a Wolfish Farael have acted the way he has, with his single-minded pursuit of Aiwendil, his plan to lynch lmp, his (to put it kindly) rather difficult to follow reasoning, and his (to my mind) rather bizarre behavior yesterday? Quite possibly in my view. It has succeeded in sparing him from much suspicion so far, precisely because it looks too bold for a Wolf. And, in some cases, it has only served to confuse and, in the case of the "lynch lmp" plan, help divert the village down the wrong path.

In any event, having taken a much closer look at him, his behaviour looks distinctly Wolfish to me.

I hope to get a chance to look more closely at some of the other non-Eomer voters too, although they may have to wait until tomorrow, assuming that my duties allow me.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:23 PM   #423
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Sting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farael
I reckon that barring a majour breackthrough I will be lynched sooner or later and I want to avoid you guys wasting time looking at me. This will most likely all make me look even more suspicious, but maybe after I'm dead it will help.
I wonder why you want to avoid us "wasting our time" looking at you? And yes, you are looking even more suspicious. To me at least.

Quote:
Now we will all agree that he has been very careful and 'rational'... now, I ask if anyone's great grand father has played with Aiwendil's great grand father... does he always play this way or is he playing the way he thinks we'd expect an innocent to act?
In my limited ancestral ( ) experience, yes it is his usual style. That said, I would expect a Wolfish Aiwendil to play in his "usual" style. I haven't discounted Aiwendil as a possible Wolf, but I don't think it likely that the two of you are Wolves (all credit to you if you are ) and, right now, you are looking a lot more suspicious to me than him.

Quote:
Glirdan has been having RL issues and I believe him. If he had an important role, I would like to venture that he'd be here more often.
I am concerned that may be a dangerous assumption to make. Still, if he is a Wolf, and ends up beng the last one alive, it is quite possible that his absence from much of our debate will lead him to slip up.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:29 PM   #424
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Mormegil wrote:
Quote:
I must toot my own horn here. I was the only one, I feel, that kept suspicion on him.
Yes, and for what it's worth, I give you credit for that. Nonetheless, I don't know that you're innocent. And a bold, completely pre-meditated sacrifice is just the sort of thing I could see you and Eomer pulling off together.

If I had to guess, I'd say Morm's innocent. But I can't put the thought of some elaborate ruse out of my mind. Maybe it's just that the mere thought of a wolvish trio that included both Eomer and Morm sends shivers down my spine . . .

Farael wrote:
Quote:
Now we will all agree that he has been very careful and 'rational'... now, I ask if anyone's great grand father has played with Aiwendil's great grand father... does he always play this way or is he playing the way he thinks we'd expect an innocent to act?
I think that Mormegil and Saucepan may have heard a few stories about an ancestor of mine, and I'm sure they'll both confirm that he was careful and rational.

Quote:
Yet (and this is where I cringe) he closes his post saying that maybe the wolves area Eomer, Tar and me.

Now, maybe I just got to him and he wants me dead but.... he mentioned nothing about me in the whole post, he talked about Morm instead!! And yet, he does not mention him for his 'triumvirate of wolves"
Since the logic behind my argument there was more complex than a simple "X is a wolf!" I don't expect you to be interested in it. But, for what it's worth, what I said was that if Eomer turned out to be innocent, I would suspect Morm. But I didn't think that Eomer was innocent, so I didn't think that Morm was a wolf.

SPM wrote:
Quote:
That Eomer, concluding that his number was most likely up, acted the way that he did to disassociate himself from a Wolfish tar-ancalime, with the aim of giving her a better chance of surviving today. Possibly, he waited until the last minute because he thought that the votes could save him yet, without need to resort to such a desperate ploy.
But if Tar were also a wolf, then it seems to me that Eomer wouldn't be particularly interested in saving himself by having her lynched. In other words, if they're both wolves, then they would have known that one of them was doomed no matter what.

Quote:
Then he says (quite bizarrely, in my view) that he is not nearly so suspicious of Aiwendil as he has made out
I found this strange as well. Wasn't it Farael himself who said that wolves would "appear one way and act another"?

I hope to get a chance at some point to analyse the posts of some of those who did not vote for Eomer, but I have some business away from the village to attend to. Nonetheless, I think I will get some time for it about five or six hours before NIGHTfall.

Edit: crossed with SPM's second post
Old 02-28-2006, 09:49 PM   #425
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

...most of the following written before the opening of this DAY...

Hurray! We've taken out a wolf! Thank you to everyone whose eyes were clearer than my own yesterday. I had the ++EOMER vote written with the tagline "for Gifted-impersonation" based on the evasive hints he was trying to distract the village with. And was ready to submit it until the false-Guardian declaration. With no time to discuss the issue, I panicked over the possibility of lynching a Gifted and switched to Tar-A. Fortunately, enough of you were more insightful and had already voted for the tricksy villian that my error didn't make a difference.

I'm pretty sure the following are innocent based on record against Wereomer:
Morm
Nilp - first to vote Eomer.
SPM

Tar-a is most likely innocent since Wereomer tried so hard to use her as the diversion to save his furry neck.

And if I dare say it, I think the last minute business between Eomer and myself yesterday exonerates me. As a wolf, I would never have made such a visible move when it was likely that he would be revealed as lupine. I only voted the way I did on the chance that the last 'I am your Guardian' statement was true.

Now, in light of Eomer's guilt, who is looking the furriest today? In no particular order:

1. Aiwendil, who led off the shift toward tar-a.
Quote:
Now, I don't want to follow Farael's specious reasoning about lynching someone for "information", but I do think that if tar turns out to be a wolf, then Eomer is probably a wolf too. That vote for Eomer on DAY 1, passed off as a random vote with no evidence, looks very much like a wolvish trick to me. And, much as I hate to mention "past lives", I've, uh . . . heard that an ancestor of Form did much the same thing to an ancestor of Spawn in a village my great-great-grandfolks lived in.

On the other hand, if tar and/or Eomer are innocent, I will certainly be taking a closer look at Mormegil.
Sets tar-a's guilt as a condition for Eomer's guilt. I think she's probably innocent. If we had lynched her yesterday and then followed this line of reasoning, Eomer would have been off the hook. At the same time, Aiwendil has been logical. He could be another tricksy wolf, but he could also be trying to reason things carefully and be afraid of makng dramatic statements as a result.

...here begins new material. By bad luck, my schedule for overnight shifts happens to conincide with DAYs here. So I'm still at work and so don't have much time to continue analysis right now. Have to be brief, but will expand after I get off tomorrow...

2. Farael - he's confusing me. Major points against him already outlined.

3. Kath - again, already pointed out as another early tar-a voter.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:52 PM   #426
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

"If with my life, or death I can help you, I will"

Alright, let's get this over with, I said I don't want to distract the village and I'm obviously doing so. Maybe tomorrow won't be like that. I tell you, I am innocent and I have given Aiwendil the perfect cover... that's ok, it's a learning experience but I see that I am detracting too much from you guys looking at the guilty ones.

I will probably not be around after tonight (real time) before the deadline and given that any fingers I point will only make that person look innocent I Say

++Farael

I know this will get me lynched and THAT is the idea. My goal is not to survive until the end, but to help the villagers win... and have fun. So far, it's been a fun ride... that was the point of my bonehead attack on Aiwendil, just having fun until I had something firmer to go on... and hopefully I would get on a wolve's nerves and have him(or her) make a mistake. Sadly, now it seems that whoever I accuse will either make him look innocent or me look even more guilty for straying from Aiwendil.

Quote:
Since the logic behind my argument there was more complex than a simple "X is a wolf!" I don't expect you to be interested in it.
You seem quite upset there buddy... sorry if I got in your nerves too much, I was just having fun... this is a game and I felt I was taking it far too seriously so I just let loose and crazy a little. If I bothered for real in any way, I do apologise, I never meant to have fun by ruining the game for you. (and this comment is completely 'offtopic'... I would PM you about it but I can't because we are still alive so I write it here)

Yet, I still do honestly think that there are some 'issues' with him:

-See defense of Eomer, and the fact that both him and Kath voted for someone other than Eomer two nights in a rowh, both times when Eomer was one of the principal suspects.
-He is definetly playing a safe game and it seems it is his usual MO, yet he has never really voiced out suspicions... heck, if he were innocent, why is he not REALLY going after my neck? I must look like THE wolf to him after four days of being on his trail... and if I'm not mistaken, our ancestors have lived together in a wolf-infected village, so it's not quite like has any reasons to think that I'm always that limited in my pursuit of a suspect.

Now, I'm being honest whether you like it or not... I know that unless I change my style GREATLY I will be lynched sooner or later, and so I rather be lynched sooner because I would not want my death to give the wolves a greater advantage than what it would do right now. There is still some 'breathing space' and so if we are going to lynch an innocent, it better be tonight.

I thought I'd be able to slowly step backfrom my insane pursuit of Aiwendil without looking suspicious, but it seems that it only made me more suspicious as others think that I was going with the mob.

Yet I tell you, I AM innocent and if you are going to suspect me, lynch me today. If not, take my word for it.

Edit: I added the "before the deadline" when it says that I won't be around after tonight
Old 02-28-2006, 09:57 PM   #427
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Silmaril

Quote:
But if Tar were also a wolf, then it seems to me that Eomer wouldn't be particularly interested in saving himself by having her lynched. In other words, if they're both wolves, then they would have known that one of them was doomed no matter what.
You misunderstand me. I was speculating that Eomer had resolved himself to his fate and thought that, by encouraging Celuien to vote for tar, it would make a Wolfish tar look better today. At that point, it looked almost certain that he would be lynched no matter what. Eomer was on five votes and tar on three. All three remaining votes would have had to have gone to tar for her to be lynched in Eomer's place and, given the timing, it looked unlikely that Farael and Glirdan would appear.

Rather elaborate, I know. And it assumes that neither Farael nor Glirdan are Wolves. I am inclined to the view that Farael is a more likely Wolf than tar-ancalime, but I will try to take a closer look at tar tomorrow.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:58 PM   #428
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

Cross-posted with Farael's suicide vote, the possible implications of which I will have to consider further tomorrow, as now I must go.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:57 PM   #429
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Farael: No, you have neither bothered me nor offended me nor ruined the game for me. You have, I admit, bewildered me. But I don't mind being bewildered now and then.

Nonetheless, I don't see how your self-vote is helpful. We want to lynch wolves. If you're innocent, lynching you won't help.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:27 PM   #430
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Nonetheless, I don't see how your self-vote is helpful. We want to lynch wolves. If you're innocent, lynching you won't help.
Well, I won't have time to go through any information after this post until after the deadline so I can't really vote for anyone else and expect it to be worthwile... and I'm not sure I can help the village unless I convince everyone of my innocence. There is only one way to do that and is to stop playing games and put everyone to the task of either believing me (and thus not voting for me) or not and lynch me... then they'll see I'm innocent, but I'll be dead. Still, if I'm lynched it means that enough people think me guilty to make my best efforts futile. They won't trust them until it's possibly too late.

There are many possible ways in which either my life or my death might help us find a wolf... but I won't get into them for the obvious reasons (namely, just to make sure I don't help the wolves see a way they could mess up)
Old 03-01-2006, 01:33 AM   #431
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim
An interesting case against Tar-Ancalime you have there, Mormegil. I'd make this point though: You say that she killed Holby and then Anguirel because they disagreed with her. Wouldn't the other two wolves put the brakes on this? Unless, of course, the other two wolves were subject to absolutely no suspicion on Day One and Two. Or they could be taking her for a ride (or she they).

Anyway Mormegil, the reason I didn't give my suspect list last night was because I knew it would probably change the next day! So here I am, and soon I will give a list of my suspects.

Why does Nilp 'feel stupid' immediately after voting for me?
Eomer defends tar-a to an extent here, yet subsequently votes for her and he did so at a time when innocent Boromir had 1 vote and unknown Tar-A had 1 vote. This was early on in the day so I was thinking that Eomer didn't think his bandwagon was going to be picking up much speed and thought he could also save tar-a. I'm not sure what to make of this altogether but I want to add an additional Eomer quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer in post 365
Farael
Celuien
Nilpaurion

Two wolves in there, and my bets are Farael and Nilpaurion.
My guess is that Eomer likely included one wolf in that mix. I would be most inclined to think Farael then Celuein.

Tar-a also included Farael on her top 4 suspects list but voted Boromir. I've been milling this question over in my mind: Why would tar-a vote Boromir when she did? I know it was late for her but what could/does it mean. Was she the leading wolf hoping to get a bandwagon rolling for Boromir? Or was she an innocent who sincerely believed that Boromir was guilty. I still have no idea why people ever suspected him as there was nothing in his behavior that ever made me think him a wolf, the same is true with SpM but I am leary of fully trusting him.

There's something else about tar-a that doesn't sit right but I can't pinpoint it right now but I'll keep thinking about it and I may have an answer.

The more I hear from Aiwendil the more I find myself trusting him.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:37 AM   #432
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Double post yes, but different topics.

I’ve been meaning to look a little bit at this and analyze how everybody responded to Spawn’s death.

Farael , as SpM pointed out, stated:

Quote:
Hmm, this death makes Eomer look pretty bad... almost too bad to be real, don'tcha think? We have a smart pack of werewolves in our midst, maybe it's time I change strategy... although I'd much rather see Aiwendil lynched before I do.

Mormegil was never convinced of Eomer’s innocence and stated so.

Eomer claims the wolves are brilliant and gives an elaborate speech as to why the wolves would do this.

Celuien stated:

Quote:
Spawn's death looks like a delibrate framing of Eomer after their sparring for the past couple of days. It's not really something I would expect a wolf Eomer to do since it does automatically make him look really, really bad.

But I'm not going to discount him from consideration. It is entirely possible that a Wereomer would have killed Spawn because it is too obvious, expecting to be discounted from debate as a result.
Boromir talks a bit about both sides and ends up leaning towards the set up theory

SpM states:

Quote:
Well, dancing spawn's death certainly puts Eomer squarely in the frame. Question is, is it a set up or does a Wolfish Eomer count on us thinking that it is? The interesting thing is that dancing spawn and Eomer both made fair points against each other, based on similar reasoning. Their argument, essentially, was that the other had been raising a lot of suspicions but not making many strong accusations. While the fact that Eomer was wrong about her does not negate spawn's case against him, it does suggest that such cases can be fallible. We need to consider what other evidence there may be to suggest that Eomer is a Wolf.
In my opinion this seems very unwolfish. SpM is considering all options and attempting to view is Eomer is guilty.

Formendacil is a bit ambiguous about the point and doesn’t come to a real conclusion but this is moot as he is innocent

Tar-a ignores the issue completely and actually changes the subject. Hmmmm???

Farael defends Eomer’s position and states that the wolves didn’t’ set up Aiwendil by killing me (Farael) why would they set up Eomer.

Aiwendil, to his credit seems reasonable and open to both ideas initially.

Quote:
Well, that's the little drama that went on in my head a few minutes ago when I saw that Spawn had been killed. Obviously, we're all familiar with the whole frame-up/double bluff/triple bluff/etc. craziness that's going on here. So what's the point of my little play? Well, it's this. It seems to me that to try to disentangle the psychology of last NIGHT's kill is futile. Either Eomer did it or he's being framed. But beyond that, who can say? Either possibility seems equally plausible to me.
Nilp never officially weighed in on the topic but did vote first for Eomer after some slight debate of the issue.

This makes tar-a and Farael look bad. Also Celuien also but not so bad as the other two.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:10 AM   #433
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Hello all,

Sorry about the lack of being around for the past several hours, but working eight hour shifts will put a crimp in your Werewolfing for sure.

Alas, but by unusually bad luck (for my work life, anyway), it is now 1:00 in the morning, my time, so after this post I'll probably be off to bed. And, as soon as I wake, I'm slated to return to work for an eight-hour day shift. There's a bright ray of Werewolfish hope from noonish until 1:30, so I'll be able to make a reappearance ere the day ends, and cast a vote before the cutoff, but I cannot act as a safeguard against Wolfish anti-plan votes, alas.

Having noted that, I want to say that I don't think Farael is guilty, although the simple fact of his suicide vote points me towards thinking that more than anything else he has done.

However, I don't agree with Farael that death is the best thing for him to do if he is unable to be around a lot from now on. I don't think that many of us really think him guilty. There are a lot more suspicious characters to deal with.... So Farael's vote, though irrevocably cast, ought to be ignored by the rest of us in seeking out the Wolves. I don't think killing Farael will help us any.

Normally, at this point in the game, if Morm and SPM are both alive, they tend to go for each other's throats. That hasn't happened this time, and for some reason I'm fairly sure of them both being innocents. Their votes yesterday for Eomer undoubtedly help in that matter, but the fact that both are playing on par, completely normally is a bit more decisive for me.

I don't put any stock in Nilp's acrostic hints. After the last game, he'd be a fool not to give SPM a hint like that, whatever his role. However, I DO think him Innocent, for now, anyway, although not for reason of the acrostic.

So, to recap, I agree with Morm's suggestion that scrutiny today should be focussed most on the non-Eomer voters of yesterday, leaving Morm, SPM, Nilp, and myself off the list. I'd also like to take Farael off the list, at least for today. He seems to be playing perfectly normally...

And... hmm... I'm out of things to talk about. If more occurs to me, I'll post again ere bedtime. If not... farewell for several hours.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:21 AM   #434
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Five minutes of thought has done nothing but make me reconsider the Farael issue. On the face of it, I'm still inclined to think him innocent (although if he is innocent, then Tar-Ancalime seems especially guilty), but I think he should go back on the scrutiny list.

So, if there's anyone foolish enough in this village to be the fool who follows a Fool, I'm saying go back to muttering about Farael.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:09 AM   #435
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots [Gloating]

(To Aimè) Hail and well met, foul broodling of Sauron! This is Nilpaurion, son of Felagund avenged!

SpM and morm, I trust you both now. morm especially, since he voted for Eomer DAY 3.

It was Boro I was originally worried about, because his vote may have been to save a lupine tar. But since he has been killed and proven innocent . . . well, I'm still suspicious of tar.

Glirdan, too. There's something about him that strikes me as furry.

More thoughts later.
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 08:03 AM   #436
mormegil
Maundering Mage

I would simply like to point out that it has been about 16 hours and we still haven't heard from two of our chief suspects, tar-a and Kath. I don't like it one bit! It makes me nervous and more suspicious of them.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:05 AM   #437
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Pipe Tar-ancalime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil
So, if there's anyone foolish enough in this village to be the fool who follows a Fool, I'm saying go back to muttering about Farael.
I will follow the Fool.

On reflection, Farael’s plea and vote for himself makes little difference to my opinion of him. He does come across as genuine, but that is exactly how I would expect a Wolf to come across when making this kind of a play. What I find strange is that Farael has been under virtually no suspicion so far. Yet the moment that a strong case is made against him, he immediately throws up his hands, claims he is innocent but that his cause is hopeless and votes for himself. It all looks rather contrived to me, and I suspect that he has done it to try to head off any further suspicion that might come his way. It also, rather conveniently, enables him to hide his vote.

The only thing that makes me slightly cautious is that I felt much the same way about littlemanpoet, when he voted for himself. But I think that the case for Farael being a Wolf is much stronger.

However, I agree with those who have suggested looking more closely at all of the non-Eomer voters. That does not mean that the others are “off the hook” as far as I am concerned. But I think that there is almost certainly one Wolf, and most likely two, among those who did not vote for Eomer yesterday.

I will start with tar-ancalime, as I find her the next most suspicious-looking, after Farael. In reviewing her contributions, I have focussed on those things that stood out to me, one way or the other. Some of these points have already made, but I have tried to draw it all together.

Day 1

Her early posts mainly concerned the Seers (#22, #35, #36, #44). Although she suggested a moratorium on Seer talk, which I agreed with at the time, her contributions did rather serve to encourage it. Possibly a subtle way of diverting discussion away from finding Wolves, but nothing too suspicious.

She criticised spawn for her analysis post, which had apparently rubbed her up the wrong way, and indicated that she was likely to vote for spawn (#44). I am not sure why she responded quite so strongly to spawn’s post, but what is stranger (and looked strange to me at the time) is that, in response to no more than a brief explanation from spawn of the reason for her analysis (#46), she effectively took back what she had said, trying to explain it away by saying that she had been “gathering her thoughts”. If she was indeed gathering her thoughts, then she did so in very strong terms. Instead, she voted “randomly” for Eomer (#50). Increasingly, that looks to me like an early Wolf-on-Wolf vote, made at a time when Eomer was in no real danger. She has not voted for him since.

Eomer’s reaction to her vote is interesting, particularly the winking smilie:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer @ #55
Tar-ancalime, my worthy healed child, what has this Priest (who prayed for you every day) ever done to deserve such a vote?
It may be nothing, but it struck me as the kind of response a Wolf might give to a Wolf-on-Wolf vote.

Then there is Holby’s vote to consider. As I see it, there are two possible explanations for Holby’s death. Either the Wolves simply struck lucky on Night 2, as we thought at the time, or tar is a wolf and interpreted Holby’s vote as indicating that she was the Seer. As far as I can see, nothing else that Holby said could possibly have identified her as the Seer. It occurs to me that, if Eomer and tar were Wolves together, then perhaps they thought from the fact that tar "got away" with killing Holby, that Eomer could get away with killing spawn.

Day 2

Tar's suggestion that her defence of Boro might be viewed as an “evil alliance” (#124) strikes me as curious. Why say that? To possibly implicate Boro if she was lynched?

Rather defensive in response to the charge of “flip-flopping” ( #161), and this does appear to have succeeded in diverting attention away from her at that time.

Day 3

Tar disagreed with Farael’s plan to vote for lmp to gain information on Aiwendil, but then put forward the idea of voting for those who were generating confusion, impliedly (to my mind) nodding towards lmp (#247). When she voted for lmp, she said that, since he seemed to have given up hunting Wolves, he was no longer useful (#285). I think that the Wolves had identified lmp as a likely lynch candidate for Day 3 and, given the circumstances at the time, her vote here looks rather opportunistic to me. She refused to cast her vote elsewhere when lmp disappeared (#289), although (if innocent) she would surely have had other suspicions.

Day 4

As suspicion gathered around Eomer, tar commented that the discussions had been much too single-minded so far (#340). A possible attempt to move the discussion away from Eomer? She also speculated that the three Wolves might all be “quiet ones”. Well, we know that one of them wasn’t.

Defensive in response to morm’s strong case against her (#357), although her comments here could be taken either way.

Eomer mildly defended her (#362), although he went on to vote for her (#380). I am not at all sure, however, that it follows from his vote that tar is innocent as, if she had been lynched and turned out to be a Wolf, it would have stood to Eomer’s credit.

She said that Eomer was playing his own game and was not allied to anyone (#370). Clearly, she was wrong about that, although it might have been an oblique attempt to defend him without looking too suspicious if he was lynched. Voted for Boro, which looks both good and bad for her, in light of his death the following night.

Eomer’s attempt to persuade Celuien to vote for tar by claiming to be the Ranger seemingly speaks in tar’s favour. But, as I have said, it could have been an elaborate ploy on Eomer's part to make her look better today, given that the chance of her being lynched in his place was, by that stage, minimal.

All in all, she still looks very suspicious to me.

Kath next …

Last edited by The Saucepan Man; 03-01-2006 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Mixed up dream and vote re Holby
The Saucepan Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 09:01 AM   #438
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Pipe Kath

I am beginning to become rather gloomy about our prospects of finding these Wolves after all, with so few people speaking.

Still, here my thoughts on Kath from a review of her posts.

Day 1

Kath’s only real contribution was to vote for Gil-Galad (#88). Quite possibly, the Wolves decided that they would try to get Gil lynched on Day 1 as he was an easy target and likely to attract a fair few votes (enabling the Wolves to hide amongst them). I suspect that one, and possibly (though less likely) two, Wolves may therefore have voted for Gil. That would implicate Glirdan and Celuien too (and also morm, although I am feeling relatively comfortable about him right now).

Day 2

On Day 2, she was (as far as I can tell) present in the village for about 20 minutes (#209, #211, #217) but, having given a brief outline of Lhuna’s posts, declined to vote or, indeed, to say very much at all about the way she was thinking.

Day 3

Kath said that she had some time to spend in the village on Day 3 (#226), and it seems that she was around for quite some time early on in the Day (see also #236), but she offered no firm opinions at that time. It was only when other villagers started questioning her quietness that (towards the end of the Day) she offered up her long posts going through Days 1 and 2 villager by villager (#292, #322). As I have said previously, I regard these posts are rather unhelpful and they look to me designed to say a lot without offering much in the way of substance. Notably, she offered no opinion on Eomer, but voted for Garin to put him one ahead of Eomer in the voting (#322).

After I voted for her, referring to her quietness and her (to my mind) unhelpful summary, she got rather defensive about it (#307, #309, #314), although the second two of these posts were in response to some questioning from Eomer. Unless the exchange with Eomer was intended to distance them, that does speak in her favour.

Day 4

Her vote for tar-ancalime might be regarded as suspicious (#379), although that depends to a degree on whether tar is a Wolf. Nevertheless, she gave little reasoning of her own for it, relying mainly instead on morm’s strong case against tar. A Wolf piggy-backing on the reasoning of an innocent?

As has been said many times, not a great deal to go on. But, in my view, she certainly remains one of the more suspicious villagers.

I shall take a look at Aiwendil next.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:13 AM   #439
tar-ancalime
Shade of Carn Dûm

tar-ancalime has just left Hobbiton.
I apologize for my absence.

I'm not a wolf. Holby didn't dream of me. I didn't know she was the Seer. I really wish she hadn't voted for me on Day 1.

I still think there is at least one "quiet" wolf from my list yesterday.

++Glirdan
Old 03-01-2006, 09:22 AM   #440
mormegil
Maundering Mage

tar-a do you care to explain your vote for Glirdan? Is it just because he's quiet?