The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-07-2021, 07:14 PM   #1
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
The White Council

A rather basic question that stood out to me last time reading Lord of the Rings, about the formation of the White Council. It might be one of those "sorry, Boro, there's no definitive answer" but I might as well ask it anyway...

So, in the Lothlorien chapters Galadriel reveals she was the initial founder and would have preferred Gandalf to Saruman, but Saruman was chosen as the leader hence the title "White Council" and not "Grey Council."

But I find Galadriel's statement rather odd, if she was the initial engine behind it and preferred Gandalf, why wasn't it the "Grey Council" and Gandalf the leader? Was she overruled by Elrond or Celeborn? I'm not sure there is anything definitive to point to Cirdan being a member, but I mean he gave Narya to Gandalf, and not to Saruman when the Istari arrived in Middle-earth. So, I imagine he probably would have preferred Gandalf to Saruman. Then again, there's nothing I can find to suggest Cirdan would be involved, since his ring-gifting to Gandalf would suggest he's staying out of Middle-earth's affairs.

Last edited by Boromir88; 03-07-2021 at 08:20 PM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote