The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2006, 10:57 AM   #281
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

I think that morm has now set a new standard in the field of self-reference.

I don't think that even I have ever quoted myself at such length.

In recognition of his achievement...

++ Merry

EDIT: This does now make two pages in a row where my magnificent post heads the page.

Go me!
Old 08-18-2006, 12:07 PM   #282
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
The Day is now over! Votes for today:

Perry-the-Winkle - 7
Sauron - 1
Merry - 5

(I didn't count your vote Bethberry cause I wasn't sure who you were voting for )

Perry-the-Winkle (what is a winkle anyway?) is the one being booted off the island. Since my brain hurts today, I can't come up with anything exciting.

The remaining contestants:

From the Lord of the Rings Survivor
Merry
Gimli
Hama
Gandalf

From the Silmarillion Survivor
Sauron
Elbereth
Osse
Ingwe

From the Hobbit Survivor
Smaug
Gloin
Durin
Bofur

From the Second Age Survivor
Tar-Miriel
Celebrian
Thorondor
Tar-Aldarion

From the Minor Works Survivor
Chrysophylax Dives
Goldberry

I'm afraid no one was able to do this for me this weekend so day 12 will last til Tuesday. Sorry bout that.

You may now start voting.

Last edited by wilwarin538; 08-18-2006 at 01:59 PM.
wilwarin538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 12:19 PM   #283
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
++Chrysophylax Dives

Simply because his name annoys me. Never mind Dive Chrysophylax, how about Die Chrysophylax!!!
Old 08-18-2006, 12:26 PM   #284
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Actually, I think that Chrysophylax has a rather cool name, even if it is impossible to spell. So he (?) can be the last Minor Works character to stick around as far as I'm concerned...

++Goldberry

She's a rather boring character. She doesn't really do a whole lot, other than apparently keeping house for Tom. He even has to go get her lillies for her. And Goldberry? Usually the yellow ones aren't ripe. Yick.

And before you start going on about Merry... he definitely accomplishes more than Goldberry.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 12:29 PM   #285
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
The raw hatred of those who would eliminate all minor works characters because they think that I want one of them to win is staggering and quite frankly I'm flattered that I could rally such a band of intelligent people to behave with such depravity and ignorance.

++Merry

again!
Old 08-18-2006, 12:39 PM   #286
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
MMmmmmusssst sssaaaaave Chryssssophylllllaaax!

++ Merry
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 12:48 PM   #287
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I'm willing to help out if I would be trusted and allowed to continue to vote and voice my opinions.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:04 PM   #288
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
I vote for Mormegil as stand in for Wilwa.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 01:57 PM   #289
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
I'd love it if you stood in for me Morm!
Old 08-18-2006, 02:01 PM   #290
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
second bandwagon that worked wow...

++Merry
Old 08-18-2006, 02:17 PM   #291
mormegil
Maundering Mage

I will do it and try my best for times but they may be a bit off.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:41 PM   #292
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

++MERRY

He's hanging on by a thread. Why prolong the agony?
Old 08-18-2006, 06:39 PM   #293
The 1,000 Reader
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The 1,000 Reader is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
++Chrysophylax Dives.

If I'm not mistaken, Chrysophylax was a "peaceful" dragon. While this might seem good, that really cancels him out in a sense. From their creation, dragons have always been sinister creatures with destruction on the mind. That's what makes them dragons. However, not being a destructive creature, Chrys is pretty much contradicting what he really is and he is in a form of denial. This will obviously lead to an enormous mental breakdown. It's best to ship him off the island to an asylum before his breakdown happens on the island.

(Also, the rabid anti-Merry party has a member who likes him, and Merry needs some backing up.)
"And forth went Morgoth, and he was halted by the elves. Then went Sauron, who was stopped by a dog and then aged men. Finally, there came the Witch-King, who destroyed Arnor, but nobody seems to remember that."

-A History of Villains
The 1,000 Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 06:40 PM   #294
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
+ + Merry

Once Merry is gone would you consider voting Sauron, morm?
Old 08-18-2006, 06:47 PM   #295
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
From their creation, dragons have always been sinister creatures with destruction on the mind.
'Tis a scandalous falsehood! Stereotyping of all dragons is unfair. At least one other dragon was friendly.
++ MERRY
Old 08-18-2006, 06:53 PM   #296
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
++Chrysophylax Dives

I want that name and as long as it is held by somebody else that won't happen.

Last edited by Rune Son of Bjarne; 08-18-2006 at 09:38 PM.
Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 07:46 PM   #297
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
--Goldberry
++Merry

Since Goldberry doesn't seem to be catching on at all...

And even though I don't really know anything about Chrysophylax, I've taken a rather random liking to him...

Besides, Merry won LotR survivor; he doesn't need to win again.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 07:52 PM   #298
The Elf-warrior
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Elf-warrior is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via Skype™ to The Elf-warrior
++Chrysophylax Dives

Merry never ate anyone.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:07 PM   #299
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Wait, Merry won LotR survivor? in that case...

--Chrysophylax Dives
++Merry
Old 08-18-2006, 10:26 PM   #300
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elf-warrior
++Chrysophylax Dives

Merry never ate anyone.

Which only means Chrysophylax is a much more interesting character!

That's not to say he actually devoured any important characters in his story. I think he may have eaten the king's knights but perhaps he just scared them away, I would have to re-consult Farmer Giles of Ham. Mainly I recall he had a taste for cattle. (If you include the 'Downs REB version of Chrysi, you have to include orc corpses, rabbits, and the odd dwarf into that, but this is a strictly non canon fan reinterpretation of the character).

Either way, he's a complex character. Not so petting-friendly as Puff, but not as stupid and wontonly destructive as your average "Rar I'm gonna destroy everyone in my way" stereotypical two dimensional dragon. He knew how to drive a bargain and survive in the real world, something chaps like Smaug would have done well to emulate. After all, at the end of his tale Chrysophylax Dives is alive and well and it's the big bad nasty predictably evil type of dragon that's lying dead with an arrow in his armpit. Chrysophylax is canny.

Merry also had his ways of surviving and becoming successful without being the most flashy or hardcore, so in a way the two characters are somewhat similar. But between the two, Chrysophylax is a dragon, which automatically ups his coolness factor. I'd rather sacrifice Sauron, all things considered, but there seems too little support for that.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:14 PM   #301
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Diamond I will support a quest to out Sauron, though I gave my alliegence to Eomer's campaign first. Perhaps you could help in that and I would aid you in yours after, which will be quicker if you help in ours.

Quote:
Also, the rabid anti-Merry party has a member who likes him, and Merry needs some backing up.
I would not consider LMP as part of the 'rabid anti-Merry party' though he is welcome to join our ranks. He likes the character and saw a way to save him.
Old 08-19-2006, 03:29 AM   #302
The 1,000 Reader
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The 1,000 Reader is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celuien
'Tis a scandalous falsehood! Stereotyping of all dragons is unfair. At least one other dragon was friendly.
He was "friendly," and today he's seen as a total wimp. Come on, Puff's the pansy who gets shoved in a trash can. It's Barney-ish, and there is no way anything related to Barney should gain victory in Middle-Earth.

As much as you guys hate Merry, "Chrys the Magic Dragon" should go first. At least Merry existed in Middle-Earth!
"And forth went Morgoth, and he was halted by the elves. Then went Sauron, who was stopped by a dog and then aged men. Finally, there came the Witch-King, who destroyed Arnor, but nobody seems to remember that."

-A History of Villains
The 1,000 Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 10:49 AM   #303
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Just a minute, people!

Why are we in such a hurry to get rid of Merry? (Not my favourite Tolkien-character in any sense, but still someone to be considered as a personality)

We have for instance Gloin and Bofur. Basically characters that just fill the need of forming a group. Numbers with silly names, I say.

It's been a while as I last read the Hobbit and so can't right now come up with any positive arguments for their survival. Maybe that is because there are no deeds to remember or their characters are so shallow? I'll have to check it before I vote.

And I do ask you to reconsider this stupid rivalry between a dragon (they are always cool ) and a major LotR-character.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 11:18 AM   #304
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

I see no reason to change which horse I want to drown in the middle of the stream...

++ Merry
Old 08-19-2006, 11:53 AM   #305
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
We have for instance Gloin and Bofur. Basically characters that just fill the need of forming a group. Numbers with silly names, I say.
I agree with you on the Merry-matter, but not with this one, at least wholeheartedly. I don't have much to say about Bofur, but I personally like Gloin. No personality, you say? Read Many Meetings and the Council of Elrond from LotR and you find the down-to-earth gentledwarf I appreciate. (Or then I just like the picture of him in Middle-earth the Wizards card game... )
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 12:03 PM   #306
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Bofur was one of the dwarves that was actually mentioned more often in The Hobbit than most of the others...

But Merry is going to go today... Although some of us like him. I do, even more his name.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:13 PM   #307
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Day 12 is now over

The final vote count

Chrysophylax Dive - 3
Merry - 9

A day of unity had decided, by an overwhelming majority, that the annoying little hobbit called Merry was to go. "He's a cheat" yelled Mormegil. Mormegil replied, "He's a mediocre character at best" which he subsequently followed up by saying "He's useless without his cohort Pippin, at least he looks moderately intelligent with Pip around." All the others said "Mormegil if we vote for him, will you shut up?"

It was decided Merry walked away alone and utterly dejected, but his indominable spirit wouldn't let him stay down long. Only a few years later it was discovered that the history books proclaimed Merry as the winner of Survivor All Stars.

The remaining contestants:

From the Lord of the Rings Survivor
Gimli
Hama
Gandalf

From the Silmarillion Survivor
Sauron
Elbereth
Osse
Ingwe

From the Hobbit Survivor
Smaug
Gloin
Durin
Bofur

From the Second Age Survivor
Tar-Miriel
Celebrian
Thorondor
Tar-Aldarion

From the Minor Works Survivor
Chrysophylax Dives
Goldberry

I'm uncertain as to what time I will be able to get on tomorrow but I'll keep you all updated.

Let the voting commence.
Old 08-19-2006, 01:02 PM   #308
mormegil
Maundering Mage

++Tar-Aldarion

Really, he's another useless character. He keeps leaving the island so we don't see much of him and he's incredible uninteresting.
Old 08-19-2006, 01:06 PM   #309
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Pipe Merry go round off the island

*rushes in glancing at watch and doing best White Rabbit imitation*

I'm late, I'm late, I'm late! I missed the vote. Oh well, good thing it wasn't needed today.

Now, is there another character whose name is so annoying as to warrant a vote off the island? What about one of those Numenoreans? They had their own island too, and look what they did to it. Would you leave our island in their hands?

Annoying name + island wrecker = one of those Tars. Back later once I've decided.

Or do I not want to hear Diamond say it again? Shall we go for the guy who can no longer find a decent form to clothe himself in?

Last edited by Bęthberry; 08-19-2006 at 01:09 PM.
Bęthberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 01:13 PM   #310
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots Ha, Ha, Ha

I wasn't going to do this and I don't actually agree with the entirety of the comment but this...

Quote:
He keeps leaving the island so we don't see much of him
...was such a good chuckle that I can't help myself.

++ Tar-Aldarion

Note: For future reference, my vote can be bought by good yuk-yuks.
Old 08-19-2006, 01:30 PM   #311
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Don't make me rant about him again.

++TAR-ALDARION
Old 08-19-2006, 04:09 PM   #312
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Now here's a bandwaggon I can jump on with a glad shout.

++TAR ALDARION

Every girl's nightmare date. Really.
Old 08-19-2006, 04:19 PM   #313
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
From the survivors of the Second Age Tal-Aldarion surely is the odd one to be outed. With this I agree.

But I would be more than willing to out some of the dwarves from the Hobbit survivor too.

It seems we are really making these bandwaggons now every day. How about some competition?

++ Bofur

Being mentioned many times in the Hobbit is no excuse for being left hang around in the survivor game as those mentionings do not basically build a memorable character.
(I think I have to repeat that Bombur is much more lovable and personal than any of the other "hang-arounds" who are in the story just because there has to be a bunch of dwarwes around Thorin to make it a gang of dwarves)
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 04:30 PM   #314
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye My first post on this thread, but...

++Tar-Aldarion

Seriously, Random Numenorean King-type Guy really doesn't have much of a reason to hang around here much.

Also, has anybody said they'd like to host the next Survivor yet? If not, I call Barrow-Downs Survivor for the next one and will host it.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:00 PM   #315
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Update

I believe I will end the next day between 4PM and 5PM Eastern Time.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:16 PM   #316
The Elf-warrior
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Elf-warrior is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via Skype™ to The Elf-warrior
++Sauron
Old 08-19-2006, 09:48 PM   #317
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
awww... i sort of was fond of Aldarion...

after Aldarion is gone, follow me in my third bandwagon!

++Tar-Aldarion
Old 08-19-2006, 10:11 PM   #318
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Well, it seems that Tar-Aldarion doesn't really need much more votes, he's pretty solidy in the lead. I'm almost tempted just to vote Sauron as a statement....

But then, I could contribute to two other bandwagons, which means that I should really get you to agree on helping with two characters of my chioce, yes? Sauron today, an unnamed agent later on?

And what about Eomer, is he going to bolt once Tar-Al is gone or stick around to return the favor? Hmmm?

Well, we'll see....

+ + Tar-Aldarion
Old 08-19-2006, 10:14 PM   #319
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meneltarmacil
Also, has anybody said they'd like to host the next Survivor yet? If not, I call Barrow-Downs Survivor for the next one and will host it.
Do you mean using Barrow Downers as contestants? Mightn't that get a bit, er, ugly?
Old 08-20-2006, 04:59 AM   #320
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Pipe

Yes, yes, time to go back to his lonely wife.

++ Tar-Aldarion