The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-11-2006, 06:59 PM   #121
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
++ CELEBRIMBOR

I have been convinced!
Old 08-11-2006, 10:23 PM   #122
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

SpM, good point about the 'bor', and not to mention the middle syllable of 'brim'. The worst combination of words to make a name I've ever seen.

If Celebrimbor was just flat out admitly evil man like Sauron, then I may not want to vote him off. But he's just a poser...poses as a good craftsman, when as has been clearly shown he made junk. Poses as some good and moral guy, but just gives his junk out to other races, for his own profit.

++Celebrimbor
Old 08-12-2006, 12:28 AM   #123
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
+ + Princess Pam

Voting off PP has several advantages:

It satisfies the "all the Minor Works characters should go, just 'cause, and also because we want to be jotted down in Diamond's revenge notebook for this, not that she has one" people. If you must go after MW characters, for the love of dragons don't go after Chyrsophylax first.

PP. I assume we have all been children at one point in our lives and can see why this is wrong.

She married Ataxerxes willingly, which shows bad taste.

No self respecting mermaid in the history of women with fishtails would allow herself to be called Pam, after her husband. Yeah, that's right, Pam wasn't even her name. It was an acronym that stood for something I can't remember but was an official title Ataxerxes held.

You know I'm right, or at least you know I'm apparently the only one who actually knows anything about these characters so you wouldn't even know if I was wrong. Ha!
Old 08-12-2006, 04:17 AM   #124
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
++Bullroarer

But don't imagine you're forgiven though, Glirdy...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 05:01 AM   #125
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boro, you haven´t retracted Manwe.

I don´t like the idea of going after the same family/race day after day, it smacks of unpleasantness. I´d like to vary our evictions a bit, at least in the early days.

+ + MANWE

For now. For the reasons I gave yesterday.
Old 08-12-2006, 05:34 AM   #126
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
The Eye Who is to blame?

Quote:
1. Golf courses and golf tourism are part of a "development" package which includes infrastructure (multi-purpose dams, airports, ports, roads, bridges), mass tourism, expensive housing, entertainment facilities, export-oriented agriculture (flowers, exotic fruits and vegetables), and industrial parks/zones.

2. At the heart of the golf industry is a multi-billion-dollar industry involving transnational corporations, including agribusiness, construction firms, consultancies, golf equipment manufacturers, airlines, hotel chains, real estate companies, advertising and public relations firms as well as financial institutions.

The transformation of golf memberships into a saleable commodity has resulted in widespread speculation and dubious practices. In many countries golf course/resort development (including time- sharing resorts) is in reality often a hit-and-run business. The speculative nature of memberships and associated real property transactions also makes the industry very high risk.
In the wake of the current slowdown in the Japanese economy, many golf course and resort companies have become bankrupt, with investors and banks bearing the losses.

The bulk of the foreign exchange earned from golf courses and golf tourism does not stay in the local economy. The benefits which do remain are reaped by a few business people and their patrons.

3. The green golf package can be compared to the Green Revolution package in agriculture.
Golf courses are in fact another form of monoculture, where exotic soil and grass, chemical fertilizers, pesticides, fungicides and weedicides, as well as machinery, are all imported to substitute for natural ecosystems.
These landscaped foreign systems create stress on local water supplies and soil, at the same time being highly vulnerable to disease and pest attacks. Just as the Green Revolution is collapsing in country after country, the Golf Green is also fraught with ecological problems.

The environmental impacts include water depletion and toxic contamination of the soil, underground water, surface water and the air. This in turn leads to health problems for local communities, populations downstream and even golfers, caddies and chemical sprayers in golf courses.

The construction of golf courses in scenic natural sites, such as forest areas and coral islands, also results in the destruction of biodiversity.

4. In addition to environmental damage, golf course and resort development often creates skewed land use, displacing local communities or depriving them of water and other resources. In a number of countries, the victims of such projects are subject to police or military intimidation when they protest against the destruction caused by golf courses.

5. The golf industry aggressively promotes an elitist and exclusive resort lifestyle and notion of leisure.

This globalization of lifestyle is also a form of exploitation, the victims being the wealthy urban population who are encouraged to spend their surplus dreams and illusions, at the expense of the environment and other members of society.

Golf course and golf tourism development violate human rights in every sense of the word.

6. In the face of growing criticism of the adverse environmental impacts of golf courses, the industry is promoting the notion of "pesticide-free," "environmentally-friendly" or "sensitive" golf courses. No such course exists to date, and the creation and maintenance of the "perfect green" comprising exotic grass inevitably requires intensive use of chemicals.

7. Similarly, the increasingly touted Integrated Pest Management (IPM) system as an alternative to the use of pesticides on golf courses is not a solution. In practical terms, application of pest control through IPM is impossible to achieve and should be viewed as nothing more than a hollow attempt to make golf courses appear less toxic than they are.

The danger is that IPM will be taken seriously by officials involved in the approval of golf courses. Under scrutiny, the theory of IPM can be easily discredited.

It should also be stressed that considerable amounts of chemicals are used in the preparation of a golf course and in fertilizing the grass.

These are toxic, too, and thus make golf courses a threat to the environment and health.
~source: http://www.antigolf.org/english.html

See?

And who is to blame of all this?

Bandobras Took, aka. Bullroarer. Let's get rid of him, I say.

Besides, golf is boring.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:18 AM   #127
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
You know I'm right, or at least you know I'm apparently the only one who actually knows anything about these characters so you wouldn't even know if I was wrong. Ha!
You are more or less correct in the stating of facts.

PAM means Pacific and Atlantic Magician which was a fairly lofty title and nothing to be ashamed of assuming as your name.

Don't think you've got the corner on the minor works market. I may not be extremely knowledgable but I've read quite a few of them and remember a good deal.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:34 AM   #128
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
++Princess Pam

Mostly because I just want all the Minor Works characters to go, being that I have never heard of most of them, so why would I want any of them to win? And Princess Pam reminds me of Princess Peach (same initials), who is totally obnoxious and a wuss. So Pam is guilty by association.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 06:47 AM   #129
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
White Tree

Thankyou Lalaith, I forgot that my vote was just seconds late....drat.

--Manwe

--Celebrimbor

++Celebrimor
Old 08-12-2006, 06:59 AM   #130
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Silmaril

I am not suprissed to see sertain members voting Celebrimbor. . . . I mean why should you punish the evil mastermind, when you can kick to a guy already lying down.

Lets put all blame on Celebrimbor, he got manipulated and used by Sauron for intents Celebrimbor never intended to happen. If anything he is a victim, but that might just make you want to use him as a scapegoat even more. . .
It is unfortuantely the rule more than the exeption, that we punish those who did not know what they were doing, rather than the people who are actually running the show.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 07:22 AM   #131
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

White Tree

Quote:
It is unfortuantely the rule more than the exeption, that we punish those who did not know what they were doing, rather than the people who are actually running the show.
That right there should make people more convinced to vote for Celebrimbor. It just strengthens our argument...thanks I mean does that make him better...he just makes stuff (which is still junk) and hands them out to whoever is passing by...I mean he didn't even bother with a background check. 'Here you go sir, take these very powerful rings here, they could very well dominate those you give them to. Oh here and let me show you how I made them.' So, he takes Sauron into his apprenticeship, without even doing a background check! Talk about carelessness...now Celebrimbor is just careless, and we don't need Elves like that on the island.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:25 AM   #132
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Might I add that he is a decendent of Feanor and therefore still likely under, perhaps only a modicum, but still under the curse of Mandos. We don't need that around here any more.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:17 AM   #133
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Considering the fact that I've voted for Celebrimbor once already and he inexplicably somehow managed to survive (evidently the horse's head was put in the wrong bed) this vote for me is pretty much inevitable.

++ Celebrimbor
Old 08-12-2006, 09:06 AM   #134
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
He has his own island. He doesn't need ours.

++Manwe
Old 08-12-2006, 01:22 PM   #135
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

White Tree

Bethberry, very clever, short and sweet...and true! But, I want Celebrimbor out before I go after Manwe.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:32 PM   #136
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Sorry I'm so late to end the day!

The votes:

Manwe - 1
Bullroarer - 3
Saron - 1
Chrysophylax Dives - 1
Celebrimbor - 5
Princess Pam - 2

Celebrimbor stood and began to walk away from his tribe. Nothing exciting happened because I'm in a rush. (Sorry)

Remaining contestants :

From the Lord of the Rings Survivor
Merry
Gimli
Hama
Gandalf
Arwen

From the Silmarillion Survivor
Sauron
Elbereth
Osse
Manwe
Ingwe

From the Hobbit Survivor
Smaug
The Bullroarer
Gloin
Durin
Bofur

From the Second Age Survivor
Tar-Miriel
Celebrian
Thorondor
Tar-Aldarion
Ar-Pharazon

From the Minor Works Survivor
Chrysophylax Dives
Goldberry
Alf the Prentice, King of Faerie
Perry-the-Winkle
Princess Pam

Again sorry it's so late.

You may now start voting.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:02 PM   #137
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

+ + Ar-Pharazon

Several different kinds of odious. Also, apparently, a lame pirate wannabe.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:03 PM   #138
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
So you did get done away with someone who was not knowledgeable of the things his deeds might produce - one that tried to make his best and was fooled for it...

Let's see how many persons we can spare after these requirements?
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 12:01 AM   #139
The 1,000 Reader
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The 1,000 Reader is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
++Tar-Mirel.

Face it people, she was the most useless character of all. We already knew Ar-Pharazon was twisted, so usurping a throne wasn't really a shocking "he's evil" moment. After that, she pretty much just sat there and died. No hidden heroics. No martyr. Also, seeing as how she's the most useless, she's not exactly going to help the tribes. At best, Ar-Pharazon will steal her rations. She's just a stone everyone is dragging around on their backs.
"And forth went Morgoth, and he was halted by the elves. Then went Sauron, who was stopped by a dog and then aged men. Finally, there came the Witch-King, who destroyed Arnor, but nobody seems to remember that."

-A History of Villains
The 1,000 Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 03:38 AM   #140
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
++The Bullroarer

Damn, Lommy was faster to point out how evil golf is... :/
Instead of a field for only one (bad) purpose, there could be a forest or a farm or anything else but golf.

Well anyway, Bullroarer is a useless character.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:00 AM   #141
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Behold!!!

With my legendary battleaxe, my magnificent beard, any my recently acquired really, REALLY big hat (see avvie), to say nothing about the gigantic orchestra that I've hired to play my theme music everywhere I go, I make a far more splendid entrance than the supposed King of Arda!

Off with his head, I say!!

++ Manwe

Last edited by Kuruharan; 08-13-2006 at 10:45 AM. Reason: somehow my bolds didn't make it when I posted
Kuruharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 08:40 AM   #142
mormegil
Maundering Mage

++ Ar-Pharazon

First off he destroyed Numenor, and that simple fact makes the other contestant nervous on our island. He was another pawn of Sauron albeit a more knowing pawn in a way but less so in another. We've been arguing names lately, well this guy has the worst and what makes it worse than that: He choose this name!
Old 08-13-2006, 09:56 AM   #143
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

++Bullroarer

I want to get rid of him. And soon.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:36 AM   #144
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
++MANWE

He sits up there on that mountain of his, pretty much detached from everybody, and plays favorites. And reasons already stated.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 10:39 AM   #145
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

White Tree

Like I said, Bethberry's little argument was clever:
Quote:
He has his own island. He doesn't need ours.
And certainly Manwe wasn't a 'man' as his name suggests...what a fraud. Always having everyone else do things for him.

++Manwe
Old 08-13-2006, 11:07 AM   #146
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'm afraid I have to end the day early. I promise for the rest of the week the day will end at 2pm EST. Though, I will need a volunteer to do this for me on Saturday, Sunday and Monday. PM me if you are willing to mod Survivor for afew Days.

After a very slow day ( ) the votes for Day 6 are:

Ar-Pharazon - 2
Tar-Miriel - 1
The Bullroarer - 2
Manwe - 3

Manwe walked away quietly. After being voted for almost every previous day, he new that his time was coming. But as he walked away a big, vicious, fluffy bunny came out of no where and started to attack him. Everyone watching wasn't scared because they thought that Manwe would be powerful enough to fend of the bunny rabbit. Bu this was no ordinary bunny, and not even Manwe could fend him off. Oh well, no one liked him much anyway.

Thus ends Day 6!

The remaining contestants:

From the Lord of the Rings Survivor
Merry
Gimli
Hama
Gandalf
Arwen

From the Silmarillion Survivor
Sauron
Elbereth
Osse
Ingwe

From the Hobbit Survivor
Smaug
The Bullroarer
Gloin
Durin
Bofur

From the Second Age Survivor
Tar-Miriel
Celebrian
Thorondor
Tar-Aldarion
Ar-Pharazon

From the Minor Works Survivor
Chrysophylax Dives
Goldberry
Alf the Prentice, King of Faerie
Perry-the-Winkle
Princess Pam

Sorry if that was totally lame, I'm a bit hyper right now because a friend of mine I work with has retuned from being in Russia for a month, and I'm going to see her today.

You may now start voting! This Day will end at the normal time.

Last edited by wilwarin538; 08-13-2006 at 11:17 AM.
wilwarin538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 11:12 AM   #147
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

What does "early" mean, Wilwa?

And I'm disappointed to see how few there are who think golf is evil...
Old 08-13-2006, 11:18 AM   #148
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

1 instead of 2 is early. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Oh, and I think golf is evil.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:34 AM   #149
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thanks, Wilwa! Now I get to vote that damned Took twice within two hours. Yesh!!

++Bullroarer
Old 08-13-2006, 12:13 PM   #150
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
It's okay Lommy, I feel your pain with hating Golf.

++Bullroarer
Old 08-13-2006, 12:35 PM   #151
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

I love you Glirdan.

Though I still remember Maglor.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:09 PM   #152
The 1,000 Reader
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The 1,000 Reader is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
++Tar-Mirel.

The other people can't even remember her name right now, and Ar-Pharazon has already stolen her rations.
"And forth went Morgoth, and he was halted by the elves. Then went Sauron, who was stopped by a dog and then aged men. Finally, there came the Witch-King, who destroyed Arnor, but nobody seems to remember that."

-A History of Villains
The 1,000 Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 02:52 PM   #153
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
++Princess Pam

or should I say perms panics and that is simply weird, so we better be off with her.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 07:49 PM   #154
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
++Alf the Prentice, King of Faerie

hows he the king? i didn't vote for him...
Old 08-13-2006, 08:48 PM   #155
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

+ + Ar-Pharazon

Don't lets make him one of those scumbag characters who just don't leave no matter how scummy they are. You all know the type... they hang around episode after episode making you hate them all the more, but the writers won't kill them off even though other characters are dropping right and left, because apparently it adds to the drama and/or suspense.... (Anyone who's seen Prison Break will know what I mean when I say that Ar-Pharazon is my T-Bag. Hmph.)
Old 08-13-2006, 10:39 PM   #156
mormegil
Maundering Mage

++ Ar-Pharazon

Diamond I couldn't agree with you more.
Old 08-14-2006, 03:09 AM   #157
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
How come Ori was gone the first day while the other useless dwarf still exists?

++Bofur
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 04:08 AM   #158
Mirkgirl
Haunting Spirit

Mirkgirl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Skype™ to Mirkgirl
mmm Id say rather clean the minor characters first... save for Goldberry maybe

Pam or Alfie.... hmm

++Princess Pam
"Hobbits! Well, what next? I have heard of strange doings in this land, but I have seldom heard of a hobbit sleeping out of doors under a tree. Three of them! There's something mighty queer behind this."
Mirkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 05:38 AM   #159
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
EH! I missed voting off Manwe because of this slip-slidin' deadline thingy. I arrived at 1:45 ready to do my usual hatchet job and da case was closed! It's kinda hard to prophesise when an early post is needed when you aren't online 24/7. Well, at least I must thank Boro, Firefoot, and Kuru for doing it for me.

So, what to do, what to do today. Celebrimdor is gone. Do I stick with my Sillymillion vendetta or branch out? Hmm. Hmm. I think I'll go with the crowd who didn't know a good thing when they had it and so blew it all away.

++ Ar-Pharazon
Old 08-14-2006, 06:07 AM   #160
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I don't want Pharazon gone as yet (which will surely make everybody put their votes on him, now). So, just to get the crowd an alternative victim to stick with:

-- Bofur

++ Princess Pam

If I can't rid us of useless dwarves, I'll try to rid of us useless minor works characters.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote