The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2006, 05:25 AM   #361
Mirkgirl
Haunting Spirit

Mirkgirl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Skype™ to Mirkgirl
++ Bofur

cause we all know he was after destroying secret society and its valiant plan to save the world from the pesky peredhil
"Hobbits! Well, what next? I have heard of strange doings in this land, but I have seldom heard of a hobbit sleeping out of doors under a tree. Three of them! There's something mighty queer behind this."
Mirkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 09:04 AM   #362
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

++ Gandalf

It is a standing rule of this game on the Downs that Gandalf not win anything.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:12 AM   #363
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
++Bofur

I mean, this is All Star, isn't it? Bofur made it to the Sweet 16. That's honourable, but it should be as good as it gets for a character like him. Let him go with dignity!
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 10:39 AM   #364
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
As with Sauron, so with Gandalf. Go for the big guns while you can, they can be difficult to dislodge later.

++GANDALF
Old 08-22-2006, 11:03 AM   #365
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Why is that pesky Bofur still in this race. . . Be gone !

++Bofur

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 11:57 AM   #366
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Wilwa has asked me to do it for the last time today and I think I can end it within the next 30 minutes.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:17 PM   #367
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
I'll try to be consistent (and don't like the big guns being easy targets... ).

++ Bofur
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 12:34 PM   #368
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Day 15

Day 15 has now ended and the race was close but in the end it would be Bofur who would be leaving the island.

Bofur - 9
Gandalf - 6
Smaug - 1
Durin - 1

"Bofur", the producers told him, "we know you've done a lot of sleuthing in your days and your rugged good looks contribute to the overall sex appeal of our show but most of us just simply find you useless." "And besides," another producer chimed in, "we have far too many dwarves as it is". In his normal stoic stride Bofur left the island with a sense of his splendor and grandeur lingering far after he had disappeared in the darkness.

The remaining contestants:

From the Lord of the Rings Survivor
Gimli
Hama
Gandalf

From the Silmarillion Survivor
Elbereth
Osse
Ingwe

From the Hobbit Survivor
Smaug
Gloin
Durin

From the Second Age Survivor
Tar-Miriel
Celebrian
Thorondor

From the Minor Works Survivor
Chrysophylax Dives
Goldberry

Contestants already voted off
Ori
Witch-king
Tom Bombadil
Maglor
Celebrimbor
Manwe
Ar-Pharazon
Princess Pam
Alf the Prentice, King of Faerie
Arwen
Bullroarer
Perry-the-Winkle
Merry
Tar-Aldarion
Sauron
Bofur

Old 08-22-2006, 01:12 PM   #369
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
might as well end the 'uncloakin terror'

++Gandalf
Old 08-22-2006, 01:14 PM   #370
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
I was going to vote him first!! Oh well. He does need to go. His uncloaking is starting to rub off on the other contestants.

++Gandalf
Old 08-22-2006, 01:15 PM   #371
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glirdan
I was going to vote him first!! Oh well. He does need to go. His uncloaking is starting to rub off on the other contestants.

++Gandalf
i know, who wants to see Gimli uncloaked? or Osse uncloaked? or Goldberry... nevermind

but yes Gandalf needs to go!

Old 08-22-2006, 01:27 PM   #372
shieldmaiden4xsword
Wight

Location: where people stick out their tongues at their youth pastor....
shieldmaiden4xsword has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to shieldmaiden4xsword Send a message via Yahoo to shieldmaiden4xsword
yup, Gandalf....
shieldmaiden4xsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 01:34 PM   #373
mormegil
Maundering Mage

++Gandalf

Let's cut him off before his senility takes over even more than it has. His mutterings and forgetfulness are getting tiresome.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:42 PM   #374
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I've been wondering... we all know that Celebrían received a poisoned wound by the orcs which made her leave for Valinor. But what poisons are orcs able to brew that exceed Elrond's skills in healing? I don't think this is very believable. Celebrían was a Xanthippe and a domestic tyrant and at last Elrond was happy to have found a pretence to be delivered from her.

Do we want such a person to win? I do not.

++Celebrían

Whether or not we want to see somebody uncloaked is not a good measure, in my opinion
Old 08-22-2006, 01:50 PM   #375
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Whether or not we want to see somebody uncloaked is not a good measure, in my opinion
Or whether it's Gandalf, or the professor's character that wishes to uncloak in the first place. Could it be more likely that some of the happy BD'ers themselves should be voted out because of filling places with the uncloaking-jokes?
Old 08-22-2006, 01:59 PM   #376
shieldmaiden4xsword
Wight

Send a message via AIM to shieldmaiden4xsword Send a message via Yahoo to shieldmaiden4xsword
++Gandalf

sorry for my ignorance..... *blushes*

cuz he's a wizard!!! And wizards are baaaaad.....cuz they do magic.....which is baaaaad.....sooooo i believe he should be voted off.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:10 PM   #377
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Am I the only one to think that once a character has won once, s/he shouldn't be doing so again? If that's the case, Tar-Miriel, Smaug, and Chrysophylax are due to go...

Even though it doesn't seem like anyone but Gandalf is likely to go today...

++Osse

He's a bit of a vindictive brat, if you know what I mean. You'd think he'd be happy to work with Ulmo... but no...
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 03:17 PM   #378
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Still to early for wizards, dragons, and ancient ancestors. Minor deities are however a dime a dozen.

++ Osse

I certainly do NOT, however, adhere to the theory that if someone has won before s/he should not win again. If they're good, they're good!
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 03:32 PM   #379
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
++Osse

I am sure that it was his idea to make the sea salty. . .

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 04:19 PM   #380
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

++Osse

Gandalf can't be voted off the island! Save the wizard!
Old 08-22-2006, 04:24 PM   #381
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Just to make a few points about Ossë:

1) As stated in Valaquenta: "He does not go in the deeps" - so he's superficial?
2) He may be loved by the mariners or those at the mercy of the sea eg. the Numenorians (forcefully, by one's own interests to mainly save oneself from his unpredictability?), but is not trusted because of his random rage.
3) He was lured by Melkor and caused much harm but then became soothed by his wife's bidding.

So Ossë is someone with nasty or selfish predilections but no strength to hold a mind of his own, an opportunistic Maia just trying to please others around him and maximise his comfort and the lack of risks while striving to personal power and worship.

A more powerful Wormtongue, I say! And anyhow, a weak personality not worthy of winning this competition...

++ Ossë
Old 08-22-2006, 05:12 PM   #382
mormegil
Maundering Mage

There is another dangerous voting block forming, what is wrong with Osse? He's unpredictable? Great! Better to entertain. What does Gandalf do? He's drab, and mutters to himself idly all day long, his beard is overly long, and absolutely no sex appeal. However Osse is perfect because all the guys want to be him and the girls think that they can change him.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:47 PM   #383
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
However Osse is perfect because all the guys want to be him and the girls think that they can change him.
I think I can hear seething rage forming this very moment.

Best do everything I can to stoke it and make it last longer...

++ Gandalf
Old 08-22-2006, 08:01 PM   #384
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
I have to agree with morm on this. Having Osse around could provide major entertainment. He's fiesty, he once had an evil side and so many other qualities. I say keep the fiesty around and get rid of the uncloaker.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:42 PM   #385
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Well, I thought my argument yesterday was pretty good:

+ + Gandalf
Old 08-23-2006, 02:41 AM   #386
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Nobody following me with Celebrian?

Again?

Well, alright, let her win if you like...

-- Celebrian

Once again the day seems to go the route of a head-to-head bandwaggon race. So be it, Gandalf or Osse then.
I share the opinion of morm, which scares me a little. What entertainmental value (uncloaking jokes don't count in this department) does Gandalf have? An occasional fool-of-a-took just isn't enough.

++Gandalf

(Psst: Don't forget, in a bad mood, Osse might sink the whole island if he can't have it!)
Old 08-23-2006, 03:35 AM   #387
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macalaure
(Psst: Don't forget, in a bad mood, Osse might sink the whole island if he can't have it!)
All the more reasons to get rid of the guy...
Old 08-23-2006, 04:01 AM   #388
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Ah the perversity of it. Sheer backlash! That's all it is. Get rid of Gandalf?!? Such a benighted thing to do. Positively Sarumanish. For shame.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:59 AM   #389
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Some reality shows introduce new characters in the middle of the show. Would there be a chance of bringing in the Chief Warg?
Old 08-23-2006, 09:02 AM   #390
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Eomer, I have two questions on that.

Is he the Squiggy of Middle-earth?

Are our rating that low to bring a new person on to spice things up?

I vote to bring on the Chief Warg.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:41 AM   #391
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
Minor deities are however a dime a dozen.
How true. Let's get him off this island before he offs this island in a tsunami of religious extremism.

+ + OSSE
Old 08-23-2006, 10:39 AM   #392
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
How could anyone wan't to get rid of Gandalf? He's one of the greatest characters in Tolkien's works. Just the whole idea of a wizard is so magnificent... It's not his fault that somebody made a bad joke about him anyway... (...I'm again siding with other people, not like me...) So, to protect Gandalf for atleast this one day. I wote Osse down!

++Osse
Old 08-23-2006, 10:53 AM   #393
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Gandalf was a bigger failure than Frodo! What did he do that actually worked that he can claim was his work? He didn't defeat a balrog...the balrog defeated himself. He really didn't do much at Helm's Deep except to come and get the stragglers. The Hurons really did the work their. He failed with Boromir and let him loose himself. He, instead of lending his aid, let four unaware hobbits take on ruffians and an ex-wizard who still had some power, why risk it? Just be done with it. He failed Frodo in that he wasn't there to aid him and were it not for Samwise, who sadly isn't in the mix, the entire quest would have failed. The only thing that Gandalf did that wasn't a failure was his fireworks.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:04 AM   #394
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mormegil
The only thing that Gandalf did that wasn't a failure was his fireworks.

Ooohhh! Fireworks! Every bored survivor on a mundane island needs fireworks to keep up the spirits. Best reason for keeping the Grey One around.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:54 AM   #395
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Maybe we could bring on the Chief Warg and Squiggy. That's, like, ratings bonanza!

(Incidentally, Morm, hilarious episode that.)
Old 08-23-2006, 12:28 PM   #396
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
+ + Osse

Not that important, since Ulmo can just have Uinen
take over his tasks and send Osse to a nice long
holiday on the strand past the Houses of Waiting
(although the water said to be about as chilly as
the Blackpool area).
Old 08-23-2006, 12:41 PM   #397
shieldmaiden4xsword
Wight

Sting

Gandalf took forever to guess the password to Moria and it almost cost them their life. VOTE HIM OFF NOW!!!!! and it was right in front of him too!!!! Sheesh!
Old 08-23-2006, 12:56 PM   #398
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Fireworks

Besides, isn't there usually some sort of rescue challenge on Survivor? I'd say Gandalf's fireworks would be dead useful for that.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 12:59 PM   #399
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry
Ooohhh! Fireworks! Every bored survivor on a mundane island needs fireworks to keep up the spirits. Best reason for keeping the Grey One around.
Yes but over two straight weeks of the stuff it becomes rather drab and dull. This one trick pony should be taken for zoo meat and to the glue factory.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:03 PM   #400
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Day 16 has now ended, and the votes are very close:

Gandalf - 7
Osse - 8

Osse received the most votes. After a little arguing with those who voted him off he gave in and left the island himself before the Muddy Boot of Doom came and to boot him off in a more painful manner.

The remaining contestants:

From the Lord of the Rings Survivor
Gimli
Hama
Gandalf

From the Silmarillion Survivor
Elbereth
Ingwe

From the Hobbit Survivor
Smaug
Gloin
Durin

From the Second Age Survivor
Tar-Miriel
Celebrian
Thorondor

From the Minor Works Survivor
Chrysophylax Dives
Goldberry

Contestants already voted off
Ori
Witch-king
Tom Bombadil
Maglor
Celebrimbor
Manwe
Ar-Pharazon
Princess Pam
Alf the Prentice, King of Faerie
Arwen
Bullroarer
Perry-the-Winkle
Merry
Tar-Aldarion
Sauron
Bofur
Osse

You may now start voting.

I am back from my trip, but I'm sick so I just woke up from a nap, that's why this is late.