The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2014, 03:13 PM   #601
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Whoa!

Well, allowing there were no submarine lions, it actually was not such a surprise the game ended already.

It was interesting how the lions started the whole game with the "wrong foot" as it is said in Finland - eveything started to go badly and there were almost always at least two lions at the line to be lynched...

I thought (and I guess I wrote it somewhere yesterDay) that after killing the Seer the lovers were picking possible lions who would be hard to lynch - and it seems I was partly correct. Yay! IT always feels cool to be right on something, even partly.

I thought Mac was the Bear... then when he wasn't I thought Lommy was the bear. Nice way to help lynching two lions!

But yes, the Inn played really well - and mainly without non-welcome brawls amongst ourselves. That's something to be proud about.

Talking about the fairness... I'm not sure it was an unfair setting. We were just flashingly effective this time. Had the votings gone a teeny bit differently we might still be playing and our numbers dwindling very fast - and thus the lovers would have also reconsidered their loyalties...

But yes. Cool game, nice concept, hilarious visuals at the admin thread, nice new avatars, nice mood, active Inn... A good game indeed!

Thanks to you all for that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 48545492.jpg (79.3 KB, 268 views)
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:16 PM   #602
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
And of course sharing narration writing with the wonderful Agan (who I have cheerfully called Maria to all and sundry for the entire game - sorry!).
I enjoyed writing these narrations tremendously. You're the best. ♥

(For the record, all but for two were made as a collaboration.)
Old 07-02-2014, 03:17 PM   #603
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Oh! And, actually, the Admin Thread. Watching as each new reaction gif popped up was one of the most enjoyable parts of the entire game.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:26 PM   #604
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post

The bandwagon!
It's always been my dream to be crushed by a literal bandwagon.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:28 PM   #605
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote View Post
if Mac is a lion, Zil is likely one of his packmates.
I knew it! I knew they were packmates, and then I second guessed it! By yesterDay, I'd pretty much decided Zil was innocent after all. Great job catching our last lion, Team Bear!

This was probably the most fun I've had with a werewolf game in ages, so thanks, Agan and Kath - excellent job!

Good game, everyone!
Old 07-02-2014, 04:02 PM   #606
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Also - pretty much all the people in the first narration are random (with the exception of the tanned man who is very clearly Boro), but I think after the roles turned out as they did, it's obvious the two yellow-haired musicians are Encai and Greenie. We are expecting their rendition of The Bear and the Maiden Fair shortly.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:07 PM   #607
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
YES!!! Go village!

Highlights: pretty much what Agan and Kath have already said. I especialy love and agree with the double-wolf wagons and Nog thinking everyone is a lover.

Speaking of which, I never thought this would ever be said about me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nog
I've played with her a few times before and especially her very self-confident, almost leadership-like posting was new to me at least - and I actually realised it only now as I went through her posts again - I guess I concentrated more on the other half of her act yesterDay more... So if the lions were not going after her having spotted one of them (Volo? Mac maybe less believably?), then it could have been her swag and some odd-points together that killed her: too self-assured and knoweldgeable (or putting too much effort) not to be an ordo and odd enough to try and raise some suspicion as to not be the "one everyone trusts and therefore to be done with"?
Swag? I have swag? I have swag? I have a verbal limp most of the time. ^.^

My Day2 thought of the Day: it's nice to be one of the centres of attention. See, if attention was an ellipse, I would be at one of the centres and wilwa at the other. Pity we're both innocently dead.

Dear Moddesses, that was amazing! The narrations were hilarious, and the game concept was really cool! It was a shame Eomer didn't get to use his role and there wasn't more cool lover stuff. (It did serve for excellent Day1 discussion, though, you must admit. ) Good job lovers for getting the last wolf, and congrats village for figuring out pretty much all three wolves without a seer in such a big and role-filled village!

PS: Second/third/n-th whoever said that the goodbye pictures on the Admin thread were awesome! They really are! (kudos to wilwa for starting the trend!)

PPS: wilwa, who was your first dream?

Great game everyone!!! I enjoyed it despite my early death. Well, seeing as I was Night-killed and not lynched, I suppose it should be an honor to take one for the Seer, but seeing as the Seer is my death-buddy, not so much anymore...
Old 07-02-2014, 04:30 PM   #608
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encai
I bear watching, eh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
I bet you are, lady. (Now I know where the bear picked up his Tarzanesque dialect.)
Is this where "Tarzan bear" came from? You know that's not how I meant it, right? Me maiden, you silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir
after the roles turned out as they did, it's obvious the two yellow-haired musicians are Encai and Greenie.
I thought so! Very nice. And as a music teacher, the literal band-wagon also made me smile.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:40 PM   #609
WythDryden
Animated Skeleton

WythDryden has just left Hobbiton.
Great job everyone! I had a blast playing in my first ever game of werewolf, thanks so much to Aganzir and Kath for hosting, and writing such hilarious narrations. I was pretty much torn up the entire time, and constantly double-guessing myself, but I am pretty proud that I had ended up voting for lions on 3 out of my 4 votes. Funnily enough, the only time I was actually on the lynching side was the innocent Kit! I felt so guilty afterwards too!
WythDryden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:15 PM   #610
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encaitare View Post
Is this where "Tarzan bear" came from? You know that's not how I meant it, right? Me maiden, you silly.
No actually, it was one of Green's kill PM's which went something along the lines "Me Bear. Me eat someone. Ugh."
Old 07-02-2014, 05:17 PM   #611
Coppermirror
Shade of Carn Dûm

Coppermirror is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Brilliant work, Inn and lovers! The Inn zapping Lommy, and the lovers getting Inzil. In retrospect, Lommy should have been gone after straight from her weird signalling-to-lovers post on Day 1. And Inzil was a great choice. Although the Inn hadn't written Inzil off as a possible lion, he might not have been got rid of by toDay if not for the lovers. But it was curious the way that Inzil and Mac placed their votes for each other.

I thought Rikae was a lover at first, due to her response to Lommy's suspicious-looking post and a few other things, but nope!

Interesting that Greenie the bear was going for me both during the Day and then the Night kill (as a suspected Lion). Somebody might have been able to trace this, if they went the "so the bear killed Cop; if the bear's on the Inn's side, who's the only person who heavily suspected Cop?" route. Otherwise, I'm impressed at how Greenie managed to get into the optimum state of non-suspicion in the village. Enca the maiden was suspected a little more, so might have been in danger from the Inn later.

Wyth, that was great playing from a newbie.

Maybe there should be reaction pics in admin threads more often? Seems fun.

Memo to self: remember to add to people's rep later. (The computer I'm using right now won't let me do it. Maybe it needs Java or something.)
Coppermirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:21 PM   #612
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Silmaril

Valar morghulis....
Old 07-02-2014, 05:21 PM   #613
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Many days later, Eomer had finally made it back to the Wall. Though his breath was freezing as it left him, he was all but snowblind, and he couldn't feel his fingertips, he was happy. This was his home.

"Well, it's been an adventure." He said to one of the scarecrows still standing atop the Wall.

"So I've heard." The scarecrow replied. Eomer sighed and wedged himself into a protected crevice, watching the snow fall.

"Wait ... what did you say?" He suddenly snapped back to attention. "I mean - you spoke?" He stared at the scarecrow in confusion.

The scarecrow cackled and burst into flame. Eomer backed away as more and more scarecrows turned to look at him.

“Why do we even have scarecrows on the Wall?” Eomer asked. “Crows, they call us. Us! Brothers of the Night's Watch! Whose idea was this?”

“We are here to scare crows,” the scarecrows said, advancing on Eomer.

"But I am no crow!" Eomer cried, tearing down his hood. His white blonde hair streamed in the icy wind and his eyes flashed,seeming truly purple in the reflected light. "I am a dragon!"

In true berserker style, he flung himself forward into the flames, ready to battle the fearsome enemy. Sadly, his headlong flight was abruptly halted as he ran directly into the path of a spear. Looking down, he realised that there was no scarecrow, there were no flames, there was only his own right hand holding the other end of the blade currently embedded in his chest.

"But I am the blood of the dragon ..." He whispered brokenly as he tumbled from the Wall to his inevitable death on the frozen ground below.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:21 PM   #614
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Silmaril

All men must die.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:11 PM   #615
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Dark-Eye

...didn't even vote for an innocent at all this game, of course I had more trouble with the deadline and voting than probably any other game. I feel terrible about it because votes are an important part of a game and it's not fair to either side if someone isn't at least voting.

I loved this concept and thanked Agan and Kath (the tan reference was fantastic) for making me an ordo because I felt no pressures or burdens...I just wanted to play a character and have fun with it. I thought of going with House Umber to be obnoxiously boisterous but with the DL and my schedule it wouldn't work too well. So I decided to go creepy and calculating Bolton...my personal goal was to do anything to survive until the end (although it wouldn't trump the innocent objective...I mean I didn't want to go 100% Bolton). I thought I was doing a pretty good job until I had to open my mouth about being suspicious of Lommy :-p

Great game everyone...lots of fun to play with some new faces and old mates.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:09 PM   #616
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Silmaril

Congrats village!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Green View Post
Inn - sorry about the Seer. (Not really, though. Not sorry at all!)
It totally sucked! I was soooo excited I had gotten a wolf and I was gonna reveal and it was gonna be awesome (what a great WW comeback!) and then you ruined it I was totally bummed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post

PPS: wilwa, who was your first dream?
It was Boro as an ord. I didn't really leave a hint, cause I never expected to be killed Night 1 since I hadn't played in so long I figured people would let me have a couple days, haha. The most "hint" I gave was in one post I said something like "from what I can see no one looks that bad" and that was my way of saying I hadn't dreamt a baddie, and then I listed a few people I felt good about and put Boro first, even though he hadn't posted much by that point so I shouldn't have had any reason to feel good about him. I didn't really mean for it to be a blatant hint, because like I said, I figured I'd make it at least through one night.

Thanks to Kath and Agan for a job well done! It was fun getting back into this, I hope I have the time to join another game!
Old 07-03-2014, 02:57 AM   #617
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nog
I thought Mac was the Bear... then when he wasn't I thought Lommy was the bear.
Yes, that was brilliant! And I sit here, seething to point out that it would really be rather counter-productive for the Bear to act chaotic and attract attention, but for some reason refrained from saying that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agan
Also - pretty much all the people in the first narration are random (with the exception of the tanned man who is very clearly Boro), but I think after the roles turned out as they did, it's obvious the two yellow-haired musicians are Encai and Greenie. We are expecting their rendition of The Bear and the Maiden Fair shortly.
Would 'Bed of Roses' do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agan
No actually, it was one of Green's kill PM's which went something along the lines "Me Bear. Me eat someone. Ugh."
Needed an outlet for all that masculine energy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cop
Interesting that Greenie the bear was going for me both during the Day and then the Night kill (as a suspected Lion). Somebody might have been able to trace this, if they went the "so the bear killed Cop; if the bear's on the Inn's side, who's the only person who heavily suspected Cop?" route. Otherwise, I'm impressed at how Greenie managed to get into the optimum state of non-suspicion in the village. Enca the maiden was suspected a little more, so might have been in danger from the Inn later.
True! That's why we were getting a bit pessimistic about our chances - we thought the village would lynch her, or the lions kill me. But yeah, I'm rather surprised no one seemed to connect your death to me! You were already an option the Night before, you know, but we went for Nerwen instead because killing you would have pointed too clearly in my direction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilwa
It totally sucked! I was soooo excited I had gotten a wolf and I was gonna reveal and it was gonna be awesome (what a great WW comeback!) and then you ruined it I was totally bummed.
Wilwa! Now you actually did make me sorry I ate you.
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:58 PM   #618
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by G55
Nog thinking everyone is a lover.
All you need is love = Love is all you need!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G55
Swag? I have swag? I have swag? I have a verbal limp most of the time. ^.^
I think the lions admitted they had no idea who the seer was but were looking after her/him, and they chose you because of your... what? "Aura", "Assertiveness", "Confidence"... "Swag"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyth
I was pretty much torn up the entire time, and constantly double-guessing myself, but I am pretty proud that I had ended up voting for lions on 3 out of my 4 votes. Funnily enough, the only time I was actually on the lynching side was the innocent Kit! I felt so guilty afterwards too!
That was an exceptionally cool first game showing! And I can tell you that after something like 50 games (or something as ridiculous) I'm still constantly double-guessing myself, getting assured of wrong choices and feeling guilty not managing to make the right decisions... but also every now and again totally enjoying getting it right as well! That's the game - and the fun of it: such a rollercoaster-ride...

Oh, and I think there are two people who have really earned some extra kudos: Greenie and Eönwë were so spot on like everytime! It's hard to surpass that. Cool spotting and unwavering determination!
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:26 PM   #619
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
It was good to be back, even though things didn't exactly go as planned. I was too all-over-the-place, I guess. Bad wolf.

But most of all I regret not being able to use this.

About that "slip" of mine, that happened exactly the way I described it on Day 2. Very unfortunate. I can tell you I muttered some choice words when I read Greenie's post about it (just quiet enough that Rikae wouldn't hear me). And I was thinking Greenie would be a good kill during Night 2, but considered it too bold.

And then the clearer it got that I wouldn't last very long, the heavier I went after Inzil to clear him after my death (or, well, clear myself, in case of his death ).

Good game all!

Valar dohaeris!
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:38 PM   #620
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macalaure View Post
And then the clearer it got that I wouldn't last very long, the heavier I went after Inzil to clear him after my death (or, well, clear myself, in case of his death ).
Yes, from Day 1 it seemed we were already locked into defensive mode trying to do damage control about our too obvious association. On your last Day I was convinced the next lynch would likely be either you or me, and giving you an early vote was the best way I could think of to possibly give the village pause in thinking we both were Lions. All that bussing, for naught. But it was still fun.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:06 PM   #621
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Thumbs up

Greenie, I can almost forgive you for eating me...
Old 07-04-2014, 07:22 AM   #622
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Wooo! Village victory as a gifted? I think this might be a first.

And wow, it was quite an interesting game. I don't think I've seen a game this size for a while (though admittedly I haven't played much for the last few years). It's a shame we didn't get to see Eomer use his power. And I have to say, being a ranger was terrifying in this game. I was so worried I'd be saving a lion from the bear every Night, so I tried saving people I thought were innocent.

N2: Lommy. She totally disarmed me with her first post, and I thought she might be the seer. I mean:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Team Stannis got added into my name? Yesss. There is only one true King in Westeros and it's Stannis Baratheon! Death to the Lannister usurpers!

So without further ado, let me scrutinize you -

Eönwë - house Royce - obviously our ranger and will be the first one to die.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
See, I solved the game purely based on ic stuff.
Seemed too coincidental to be just chance.

N3: Kitanna

N4: Had no time, so went for Lommy again. That Day I realised my mistake.

N5: Lottie, because she'd been so vocal about killing Lommy.

So obviously that did not go to plan... but at least 2/3 of my Day votes were Lannisters!

And now we finally have an answer to this (strong language).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macalaure View Post
But most of all I regret not being able to use this.
This [SPOILERS] could also be put to good use, I imagine.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:13 AM   #623
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Ha, I dropped out because I thought I wouldn't be able to provide the serious analysis necessary in endgame, and this happens!

Nog, I'm sorry for using flimsy arguments against you, but (as you see) it was really just a case of having an ominous feeling about you hiding under the radar and wanting to check you, but not really having the time to do so thoroughly.

It looks like I had a pretty good record of suspecting special roles, but not lions. I did suspect Lommy on Day 1 because it looked like she was suggesting an alliance to the bear, but I thought I'd be clever about it...
Oh well. I hope I'll do better next time.

The lovers really did an amazing job of avoiding suspicion/wolf kills and choosing their kills - wow!
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:15 AM   #624
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:51 AM   #625
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Wohoo, well played, village! Haven't been able to follow the game since day 3 but when I saw Mac go down on day 2 and was told about the other roles I had a feeling Greenie would eat a lion of two for us and we'd go on to win.

And though I maintain I'd prefer a known innocent over an unknown hunter any time as an innocent, I did intentionally stick my neck out a little as lion bait as I knew I'd have little to no time to play later in the game. Hope it helped a wee bit catching them baddies.

Last edited by skip spence; 07-04-2014 at 10:01 AM.
skip spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:11 PM   #626
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
N2: Lommy. She totally disarmed me with her first post, and I thought she might be the seer. I mean:

Seemed too coincidental to be just chance.
I also thought that's a seer post, but I thought that there are several dream candidates inside, so I would have to wait with conclusions. But it's much different from your perspective!

Quote:
Ha! That's amazing!
Old 07-04-2014, 08:18 PM   #627
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

By the way, since the first two Lannisters hailed from House Connington and House (Stannis) Baratheon, I was jokingly sure that House Stark would have to be the last one.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:04 PM   #628
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Silmaril Valar morghulis

The summer was coming to an end when Nogrod Swann walked into a tavern in the Reach. He was on his way home to Dorne in the south, but now he needed a drink. (Or two. Or five.) He ordered a stout and sat down, stretching his legs under the table. It had been a long day and a long journey. Suddenly he heard a familiar voice recounting a story to an enthusiastic audience. It took him a moment to place it, but then he remembered.

He had tried hard to forget the strange events of months before. Even now, he was sometimes woken in the night, believing he could hear large animals creeping around in the night. Despite his best efforts, he could not fully shake those terrible memories. And now this voice (Lottie, his mind supplied, dragging the name up) caused it all to come flooding back. Shivering, he threw down his stout, motioned for another, and listened to Lottie's tale.

“...Yes, it was awful! There he was, making passes at Lord Tyrell's son and heir throughout the entire tourney! And as if that wasn't enough, the looks he gave to the Lord's wife all through the feast!”

“Curse those Dornishmen,” a voice muttered in the crowd.

“So eventually, Lord Tyrell confronted him and asked what he thought he was doing. 'I am from Dorne. We love indiscriminately,' he had the cheek to say! The worst thing was, the Lord's son didn't seem all that displeased about the attention he was getting.”

Nog chuckled into his stout. He could well believe that these supposedly strait-laced Tyrell's would respond well to a Dornishman's charm.

"What was this fools name?" A voice from the crowd piped up.

"Oh it was a strange name, and oddly one I'd heard before, WythDryden Martell."

Nog's head snapped up at that. How could the world be so small as to bring together not two, but three members of that ghastly experience at the inn?

"What happened to him?" The voice in the crowd was still questioning Lottie. "Can't imagine Lord Tyrell taking kindly to someone corrupting his angelic boy."

All men must die.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:06 PM   #629
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

“Oh, he was found dead in his bed the next day. No signs of violence... and no sign of the Lord's son either! Apparently he had been locked up in his room, just to be on the safe side, you know!”

Nog's heart went out to Wyth – after all, the Martells were his liege lords, but even if they had been Dornish street rats, it didn't do at all to murder somebody (and with poison; Nog's lip curled at the thought) just because he lived his life to the fullest. He got up, his blood surging angrily through his veins.

“Pray tell me, what did WythDryden do to deserve death?” he asked the crowd at large.

"What's it to you?" Curt voices replied.

"The Martell's are my liege lords and I will not sit here and hear them maligned without reason." Nog spoke passionately. "WythDryden was murdered in his bed for nothing. You, of all people, should know how wrong that is." He continued, glaring at Lottie, watching as her confusion lifted as she realised who he was.

"Nothing?" An angry voice shouted. "He tried to seduce the prince. Men have been killed for less."

"You have no proof, sir." Nog's anger was getting the better of him. "Defend your words!" Throwing the last of his stout aside, Nog gripped his sword and pulled it from its sheath.

A gasp went through the crowd, but Lottie stepped up to the challenge, drawing her own sword. The fight was short and bloody. Lottie struck, but Nog parried easily, his age and size working to his advantage. Sensing an opening, he fainted and thrust his sword into her side. It sunk deep, and such was the force of the blow that it went deep into the bone of Lottie's ribs and got stuck there. She fell limply on the floor, her blood pooling on the floor.

All men must die.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:07 PM   #630
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

“This is what all you filthy Tyrell traitors get if you raise your hand against a Dornishman!” Nog yelled and turned to face the spectators unarmed.

It was the last mistake he would ever make.

Enraged by the death of one of their own in their midst, and angered by old rivalries being thrown in their faces, the Tyrell patrons advanced on Nog. Hands gripped him tight and carried him outside the inn. More bodies appeared, leading horses, bringing ropes, tying knots. Before Nog knew what had happened, he was tied between four huge beasts.

"Very well, sir. No hand will be raised against you." The voice was suspiciously polite. "But he who dares grasp the rose should ever fear the thorn."

Nog was still trying to puzzle that one out when a loud, "Hup!" was shouted. Relentlessly, the horses began to move apart. Realising what was about to happen, Nog screamed, a prolonged wail that echoed in the evening air.

All men must die.

Last edited by Aganzir; 07-07-2014 at 05:35 PM.
Aganzir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:14 PM   #631
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

And to the anonymous neg-repper (with not enough reputation to actually remove any points) who has been targeting the mods and players alike - if you take issue with this game, please speak up. Passive-aggressive post-it notes don't work here.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:17 PM   #632
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Huddle around the fire all, for the Night is dark and full of terrors!

..oops, wrong IC.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:17 PM   #633
WythDryden
Animated Skeleton

Quote:
And to the anonymous neg-repper (with not enough reputation to actually remove any points) who has been targeting the mods and players alike - if you take issue with this game, please speak up. Passive-aggressive post-it notes don't work here.

Odd. I just gave positive reputation to both yours and kath's posts. I distinctly chose the "I approve" button and chuckled to myself. First time doing it at all in this thread though..
Old 07-07-2014, 05:20 PM   #634
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
And to the anonymous neg-repper (with not enough reputation to actually remove any points)...
Wait, so do the blue squares mean it's a neg rep from such a person? I had one or two of these a while ago and was very confused about the colour, especially since they were blank and I believe we have to type something to neg rep someone.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:21 PM   #635
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by WythDryden View Post
Odd. I just gave positive reputation to both yours and kath's posts. I distinctly chose the "I approve" button and chuckled to myself. First time doing it at all in this thread though..
That's weird! Have you got a confusing browser that doesn't show clearly which box you ticked? I hope it's not your account acting up!

Oohh I may have just got it! The rep shows as purple, and if it was negative, it'd be red, right? You probably haven't enough reputation yet to be able to give actual points, so it just shows me I got reputation but not a point! Sorry about the confusion.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:24 PM   #636
WythDryden
Animated Skeleton

Quote:
That's weird! Have you got a confusing browser that doesn't show clearly which box you ticked? I hope it's not your account acting up!

Oohh I may have just got it! The rep shows as purple, and if it was negative, it'd be red, right? You probably haven't enough reputation yet to be able to give actual points, so it just shows me I got reputation but not a point! Sorry about the confusion.
I don't have enough street cred to hand out street cred, but I can give you an emotional street-thumbs up. In spirit. :-P
Old 07-07-2014, 05:33 PM   #637
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by WythDryden View Post
I don't have enough street cred to hand out street cred, but I can give you an emotional street-thumbs up. In spirit. :-P
Exactly! Thank you! And as you stick around, you'll get to hand it out eventually.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:57 PM   #638
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Valar morghulis

Eonwe fidgeted nervously. Today should be the happiest day of his life, he was getting married! He had met sally, they had fallen in love, and now they were finally going to be pledged to another. It was just that Eonwe had already pledged his life ... to the Wall.

Even though he loved sally with all his heart, he couldn't shake that lingering shame. He had deserted his post, and condemned himself and his soon-to-be wife to an existence spent in the wilderness, avoiding men in black. Only today, for this special occasion, had they ventured into a larger village to find a septon and make their vows. On top of his fears about being caught, sally's strange behaviour recently also had him worried. She had never really recovered from the death of her best friend, Kitanna, and it seemed the stress of the wedding had been getting to her. The night before she had woken screaming, clawing at Eonwe's face before she finally realised who he was. He could only hope she would improve with time.

And if anything would heal her, it was love. Eönwë pushed these thoughts aside and took sally's arm. She smiled at him. Together they made their way into the sept to say their marriage vows.

The septon was a thin man with a hooked nose and long strands of hair clinging to his balding hair. He didn't ask too many questions – and why should he? Eönwë had discarded his black Night's Watch garb along with his mission to bring new men and boys to man the Wall. The septon gestured Eönwë and sally to stand between the altars of the Father and the Mother.

“Now, children, repeat after me,” he said, “Father, Smith, Warrior, Mother, Maiden, Crone, Stranger...”

“I am hers and she is mine from this day until the end of my days,” Eönwë repeated and glanced nervously at sally.

"I am his and he is mine from this day until the end of my days." sally replied.

Smiling, the septon took sally's hand and placed it on Eonwe's.

"Under the sight of the seven, I now ask if there are any who know of reasons why these two should not be wed."

Eonwe held his breath in the long pause that followed, but no angry voices burst in to reveal his secret.

"Then I ask the gods to watch over you for all your days." The septon continued. "And may they be filled with joy. I now pronounce you ..."

His steady voice suddenly became a high pitched, agonised scream. Jumping in suprise, Eonwe let go of sally's hand, and stared at the septon in horror. His hand was twitching on the floor, thick blood spurting from the stump left behind, and dripping from a large blade. As the septon sank to the ground, cradling his wounded arm, a man dressed all in black stepped forward and picked up the severed hand.

"With this hand, you would wed a traitor." He spat at the septon.

To his shock, Eönwë recognised the man as one of his brothers from the Wall. He gave an involuntary gasp.

“Deserter!” the man yelled.

“I never meant to...” Eönwë tried to say.

“This man took the black! Swore by the old gods and the new to protect you from what lies beyond the Wall! To take no wife, to father no children! Yet here he stands. What became of your duty, Eönwë?” the man snarled.

Sally tried to put herself between Eönwë and the man, but it was no use.

“Move aside, woman!” he cried, and to Eönwë he said in a cold voice, “Kneel.”

Eönwë had no choice but to obey although he knew what would happen.

“Goodbye, my love,” he said to sally, his eyes full of tears, and a moment later his head rolled across the sept.

All men must die.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:59 PM   #639
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Silmaril

For poor sally, the sight of the one man who she had come to trust and love, the one person with whom she felt safe, being brutally murdered was just too much.

With a cry of hatred, she leapt at the man who had delivered the blow. Surprised, he raised his hand to defend himself, but it wasn't him that she wanted.

It was the sword.

Snatching it from his shocked hand, sally gripped it in both of her own, and threw her full weight into the point. Slowly, inexorably, it pierced her skin, sinking into the flesh below, finally finding her heart. Falling to the ground beside her lover, she took his hand in hers, and closed her eyes.

All men must die.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:07 PM   #640
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

There came a day that a random peasant called Encaitare and a little Green crannogman were walking on a forest path, singing happily something that sounded like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcuopIxpCEo as they went. The sun was low and the forest bathed in orange light, but they were in no hurry. It wouldn't be the first time they slept amidst trees.

As they turned along a sharp bend in the path, their way was blocked by a gang of men. Their clothes and hair gave them away as Braavosi, and the two travellers greeted them politely. The Braavosi, though, were not good men, and they quickly raised their weapons against the innocent wanderers. But as they advanced upon Encai, a fierce growl reached their ears. They turned to see that the little Crannogman was no longer little, or even human-shaped, but was now a huge, hairy bear!

“Sorcery! Run!” their leader called, but it was no use. With a rabid snarl, his mouth foaming, the bear loped towards the highwaymen. He tore the leader's throat open and ripped out another man's entrails. He jumped on the third man and broke his back, crushed the fourth's head between his paws, bit off the fifth's leg and crushed the sixth's windpipe. Finally he sat down to eat, conveniently making sure he placed his rump on the seventh man's head. The man trashed for a moment and was still. But as the bear proceeded to eat the third man, he noticed he was still alive.

“You may have won today,” he whispered and coughed, “but in the end, the Many-Faced God will come for you. All men must die.”

Encai laughed. “Ah, but... I am no man!”

“Neither am I,” said the little Green crannogman, back in her original shape, wiping blood coyly from her face.

And singing they walked into the sunset.